yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Locked
greyham
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:02 am
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by greyham » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:39 am

Hi Yuri,

Thanks so much for all your hard work on yvComment. Just one question: the tooltip for enabling guest comments says "Setting this option is not secure!". Is this really the case? In what way does it compromise site security?

Thanks,
Graham

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

yvComment - Enabling guest comments and security

Post by yvolk » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:40 am

greyham wrote:The tooltip for enabling guest comments says "Setting this option is not secure!". Is this really the case? In what way does it compromise site security?
Hi, Graham!
This notice means, that enabling guests to post comments makes your site more vulnerable to spam, abuse, etc... So you will have to spend more resources for administration, monitoring...
This is general notice, it is not specific to yvComment.

greyham
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:02 am
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Enabling guest comments and security

Post by greyham » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:55 am

yvolk wrote:This notice means, that enabling guests to post comments makes your site more vulnerable to spam, abuse, etc...
Ok, I understand. Thanks for clarifying. To many readers "insecure" may imply it makes the site vulnerable to hacking, which is not the case. Can I suggest changing it to something like "Note: Increases vulnerability to Spam"?

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Enabling guest comments and security

Post by yvolk » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:48 am

greyham wrote:
yvolk wrote:This notice means, that enabling guests to post comments makes your site more vulnerable to spam, abuse, etc...
Ok, I understand. Thanks for clarifying. To many readers "insecure" may imply it makes the site vulnerable to hacking, which is not the case. Can I suggest changing it to something like "Note: Increases vulnerability to Spam"?
Yes, thank you. I'll make this change to the text of the notice.

kevco33
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:57 pm

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by kevco33 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:01 pm

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, I've spent the last couple of hours looking around and have found a handful of people with the same problem, but haven't been ablt to find an answer to this exact issue.

Downloaded and installed the latest version of yv comment this morning on a fresh install of Joombla, and came across this issue:

"Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /home/XXXX/public_html/beta/components/com_yvcomment/helpers.php on line 277"

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by yvolk » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:32 pm

kevco33 wrote:"Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /home/XXXX/public_html/beta/components/com_yvcomment/helpers.php on line 277"
This is PHP4 parsing error (as I wrote on the Homepage, I don't test yvComment under PHP4). To fix it, please move to PHP5 or make changes in that 'helpers.php' file:
change this (from line 270...):

Code: Select all

if ($this->_debug) {
  $message = 'Joomla! didn\'t parse Itemid (bug?):'
  . ' Parsed Itemid=' . $itemid 
  . '; in Request Itemid=' . $this->getComponentItemid() 
  . '; ActiveMenuItemID=' . $menu->getActive()->id;
  $mainframe->enqueueMessage($message, 'notice');
}

to this:

Code: Select all

if ($this->_debug) {
  $menuActive = $menu->getActive();
  $message = 'Joomla! didn\'t parse Itemid (bug?):'
  . ' Parsed Itemid=' . $itemid 
  . '; in Request Itemid=' . $this->getComponentItemid() 
  . '; ActiveMenuItemID=' . $menuActive->id;
  $mainframe->enqueueMessage($message, 'notice');
}
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

kevco33
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:57 pm

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by kevco33 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:30 pm

Thanks for your reply yvolk, I tried the new code but it doesn't seem to have fixed anything, I'm still getting the same error.

I'm changing hosts soon and my current host doesn't support PHP5. This is for my new site which I'd like to get fixed and running before moving. Other people have got yvcomment running on PHP4 and I've only heard good things, so I'd realy like to see if I can get this working too.

kevco33
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:57 pm

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by kevco33 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:37 pm

Actually, my bad. The code's not changed, it won't let me ovreride, delete or edit the file for some reason... I'll get back to you!

macmaxx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:10 pm

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by macmaxx » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:16 pm

Hi yvolk!

I am a Joomla newbie and wanted to install your yvComment Component. Unfortunately I got this:

* Error! This version of Joomla! is too old for yvComment solution.
Please install at least Joomla! version 1.5.6 or newer.
version=1.5.7 or higher is recommended.
Current version of Joomla! core is "Joomla! version 1.5.3".

--
yvComment solution, version="1.19.3"
* Component Install: Custom install routine failure

I am using:

PHP Built on: Windows NT THOR 5.1 build 2600
Database Version: 5.0.51a
Database Collation: utf8_general_ci
PHP Version: 5.2.5
Web Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.2.5
Web Server to PHP interface: apache2handler
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.3 Production/Stable [ Vahi ] 22-April-2008 22:00 GMT
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.0.4) Gecko/2008102920 Firefox/3.0.4

Many other Modules and Plugins are working. I couldn't find out why yvComment produces this error.

Help is very much appreciated!!! :(

mic
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 692
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:51 pm
Location: Austria
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by mic » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:50 pm

macmaxx wrote:I am a Joomla newbie and wanted to install your yvComment Component. Unfortunately I got this:

* Error! This version of Joomla! is too old for yvComment solution.
Please install at least Joomla! version 1.5.6 or newer.
version=1.5.7 or higher is recommended.
Current version of Joomla! core is "Joomla! version 1.5.3".
As can be seen in the message:
Please install at least Joomla! version 1.5.6 or newer.
http://www.joomx.com - custom extensions and development
http://www.joomlasupportdesk.com - support, migration, training and consulting
Member of the German Joomla Translation Team

dimoss
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Loses the translation when log in!

Post by dimoss » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:29 pm

Hi,

I installed both the extension and the greek language succesfully. The problem is that when I visit the page as a guest I show the correct greek translation (i have disabled guest from posting comments, just reading). On the contrary when I log in and I try to add a comment it shows the english version. How is this possible? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dimos

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: Loses the translation when log in!

Post by yvolk » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:32 pm

dimoss wrote:Hi,

I installed both the extension and the greek language succesfully. The problem is that when I visit the page as a guest I show the correct greek translation (i have disabled guest from posting comments, just reading). On the contrary when I log in and I try to add a comment it shows the english version. How is this possible? Any ideas?
Hi, Dimos!
This may be e.g. if default language for the site is set to 'Greek', but default language for this user (You) is set to 'English'. So, when user logges in, the whole interface (including yvComment) is changed to other language. Try to change your user's preferences (its called 'Your details' in Joomla! menu)

dimoss
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Loses the translation when log in!

Post by dimoss » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:22 pm

yvolk wrote:
dimoss wrote:Hi,

I installed both the extension and the greek language succesfully. The problem is that when I visit the page as a guest I show the correct greek translation (i have disabled guest from posting comments, just reading). On the contrary when I log in and I try to add a comment it shows the english version. How is this possible? Any ideas?
Hi, Dimos!
This may be e.g. if default language for the site is set to 'Greek', but default language for this user (You) is set to 'English'. So, when user logges in, the whole interface (including yvComment) is changed to other language. Try to change your user's preferences (its called 'Your details' in Joomla! menu)
Hi,

Yes...That's it!
Do u know how can I make the frontend language to be by default Greek for all users who will register?
Thanks!

Dimos

kgunnell
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:42 am

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by kgunnell » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi, I'm very much a Joomla newbie and it looks like yvcomment might be exactly what I need. I read the yvcomment site and there is so much information I got lost. I have installed the module and plugin. I would like to have a comment box like the newsbox on lifeteen.com. Do you think yvcomment is the correct solution for me? I really hope so!! I would like a registered number of users to add a comment to I suppose one article, to appear like in lifeteen.com.
I have created the section comments and the category unsorted comments. How do create my first comment? I created an article 'newsbox article' using the section comments and the category unsorted comments but it is not attached to another article (I hope this is making sense!). I then created another 'latest news' and called it 'newsbox' but nothing appears in it. My 'latest news' module displays my article 'newsbox article' but when I click on it I get an error "his content item (id=104; title='Newsbox Artricle') is Comment (based on its SectionID), but it has no parent Article (its parentid=0). Please ensure that there are Comments only in this 'Section for comments': id=12; title='Comments'."
I am so confused and would really love some help or a point in the right direction please...Where do the registered users add their comments?
Another big problem is I am running version 1.5.6. I have asked my host provider to upgrade to 1.5.7 or later but I am waiting for them to get back to me.

Thanks for your help,
Karen

pervouralsk
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:11 pm

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by pervouralsk » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:23 pm

Sorry for probable silly question. How does one link the yvcomment plugin to an article i.e. get "add comment" to show after article. Installed yxcomments as per instructions. Can add article to Comment sections and categories so tables set up. Thx for your help. fairly new with Joomla.

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Newbies questions

Post by yvolk » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:42 am

kgunnell wrote:Hi, I'm very much a Joomla newbie and it looks like yvcomment might be exactly what I need. I read the yvcomment site and there is so much information I got lost..
pervouralsk wrote:Sorry for probable silly question. How does one link the yvcomment plugin to an article i.e. get "add comment" to show after article. Installed yxcomments as per instructions. Can add article to Comment sections and categories so tables set up. Thx for your help. fairly new with Joomla.
Hi, pals! I see, that you're faced with too much information at once :)
But I can't take your hands and go with you step-by-step at Your site :(
So, my advice for you is not to try to create Your site right now, but start with Joomla! demo content (install it with Joomla! itself to the fresh database...) and then add comments etc. to THAT site - it's a lot easier!
Only after you will be comfortable with Joomla! demo site, you may start creating yours.
One of my friends even chose easier way: she started from Joomla! demo content and then she began to add her own content/menu items one-by-one and deleted "demo" content one-by-one. So her site slowly changed from demo to custom.
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

kgunnell
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:42 am

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by kgunnell » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:25 pm

Hi, Maybe I'm not a complete newbie then;
;)
I have plenty of experience creating menu items and entering articles but no custom module stuff yet.
I am in the process of building a site for a customer with plenty of menu items and contents and I would like to put a comment box in the front-page like in www.lifeteen.com (specifically requested by the customer). I am using Joomla 1.5.8. I have installed your plugin and module and it's working!
My site is www.netministries.ie/joomla but I don't want to have to press any links to see the comment. I want a box of all of the posted :) comments all about the same article (in fact there is nothing in the article - it is just a way to allow the registered users to have a daily comment for people looking at the site). It is very clear in lifeteen.com what I'm trying to do. I also want to use the avatars for the registered users. I have installed this plugin too but have disabled it as I only want the avatars to appear in the comment box. Since I have no experience in custom modules, could you walk me through how I could achieve this pleeeease....

I think your product is fantastic and I really hope it is the solution for me.

Many thanks,
Karen :)

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by yvolk » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:47 am

kgunnell wrote: I would like to put a comment box in the front-page like in http://www.lifeteen.com (specifically requested by the customer). I am using Joomla 1.5.8. I have installed your plugin and module and it's working!
Hi, Karen! I don't see any comment box at the above site (maybe it's for registered users only), but I think, that I've got what you need in terms of Joomla!:
- In admin interface go to the Menus->Main Menu
- "Default" "Menu Item" of "Main menu" of the site should be of "Type"="Articles > Article"

On my Joomla demo site I've simply set "Joomla! Overview" Menu Item to be Default - and now I see this article AND form to add comments on the front page of my site.

pervouralsk
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:11 pm

Re: yvComment - Newbies questions

Post by pervouralsk » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:54 pm

OK Got it working. Looks good. Having comments features is key to get our organization to adopt Joomla bases site. Thx for app.
Victor
yvolk wrote:
kgunnell wrote:Hi, I'm very much a Joomla newbie and it looks like yvcomment might be exactly what I need. I read the yvcomment site and there is so much information I got lost..
pervouralsk wrote:Sorry for probable silly question. How does one link the yvcomment plugin to an article i.e. get "add comment" to show after article. Installed yxcomments as per instructions. Can add article to Comment sections and categories so tables set up. Thx for your help. fairly new with Joomla.
Hi, pals! I see, that you're faced with too much information at once :)
But I can't take your hands and go with you step-by-step at Your site :(
So, my advice for you is not to try to create Your site right now, but start with Joomla! demo content (install it with Joomla! itself to the fresh database...) and then add comments etc. to THAT site - it's a lot easier!
Only after you will be comfortable with Joomla! demo site, you may start creating yours.
One of my friends even chose easier way: she started from Joomla! demo content and then she began to add her own content/menu items one-by-one and deleted "demo" content one-by-one. So her site slowly changed from demo to custom.

kgunnell
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:42 am

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by kgunnell » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:23 am

Hi, thanks for that. Can you please send me the url to your demo site please? I have changed the menu item like you suggested and it is getting closer to what I want. I have it working that it displays the comments in a comment box which is what I want but I don't actually want to display the article the comments are about. This is just a dummy article to have the daily comment box. The comment box is purely for registered users to display messages to the readers of the site. The information that I want is displayed but not the way that I want. Can I change this? Do I need to have a custom module for this? I haven't used custom modules before. If so, how do I access the different pieces of information? I am hoping to use the avatars too. I installed the plugin but I only want the avatars here and not on every article on the website.
It is very clear in http://www.lifeteen.com what I am trying to achieve. My site is http://www.netministries.ie/joomla.
Thanks again, Karen ;)

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by yvolk » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:30 pm

kgunnell wrote:Hi, thanks for that. Can you please send me the url to your demo site please?
It's not accessible through the web... BTW, one of the challenges for contributers, that I posted on the yvComments Homepage, is "Create sandbox (demo site...) for yvComment" ;)
kgunnell wrote:I have changed the menu item like you suggested and it is getting closer to what I want. I have it working that it displays the comments in a comment box which is what I want but I don't actually want to display the article the comments are about. This is just a dummy article to have the daily comment box. The comment box is purely for registered users to display messages to the readers of the site. The information that I want is displayed but not the way that I want. Can I change this?
Yes, seach this thread (and Homepage) for "Template override"
kgunnell wrote:Do I need to have a custom module for this? I haven't used custom modules before. If so, how do I access the different pieces of information? I am hoping to use the avatars too. I installed the plugin but I only want the avatars here and not on every article on the website.
It is very clear in http://www.lifeteen.com what I am trying to achieve. My site is http://www.netministries.ie/joomla.
Thanks again, Karen ;)
I think, you really need to have yvComment MODULE for the front page only, so you may set some parameters exactly for one page...

ckoster
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:28 pm

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by ckoster » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi,

I am setting up a new joomla site and i want to use yvComment.
Setting up joomla and installing yvComment is no problem.
The plugin is normaly shown at the bottom of the articles. The problem is that te submit button is not working. It submits the page but is points to the root of the site, and give a page not found.
(In the page source the action of the form is : "action='http://joomla.ckoster.nl/'" Not correct i think)

I've been searching for a while now but i can't find a solution. So, i hope some of you can give me some advise.

Site is http://joomla.ckoster.nl/index.php?opti ... cle&id=112

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - POST to the root doesn't work

Post by yvolk » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:22 pm

ckoster wrote:The problem is that te submit button is not working. It submits the page but is points to the root of the site, and give a page not found.
(In the page source the action of the form is : "action='http://joomla.ckoster.nl/'" Not correct i think)...
Site is http://joomla.ckoster.nl/index.php?opti ... cle&id=112
Hi!
1. Please note, that yvcomment WORKS ok at Apache server (at least, for most of users), so action='http://joomla.ckoster.nl/' is generally legal.
2. As you may see, your browser makes POST method for "http://joomla.ckoster.nl/" URL. I don't see anything bad in this... but I've checked response of your server:
for some reason the 'POST' method is not allowed for this URL (hence - the error):
---
HTTP/1.1 405 Methode niet toegestaan
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
Allow: OPTIONS, TRACE, GET, HEAD
---
3. I see, that you're using Microsoft-IIS/5.0 server, so maybe you have to set index.php as 'default page' for the root of the site?
4. ...I've searched Joomla! code, and found, that instead of
action='<?php echo JURI::base();?>' (as I use in yvComment)
it uses different variants (different developers...), including this:
action='<?php echo JRoute::_('index.php');?>'
- try to change yvComment's code accordingly: maybe this will work for you?
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

t.animal
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:30 pm

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by t.animal » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:17 pm

I got a strange problem. I thought of switching the extension, however yvcomment is definetly the best (at least it was, when I used it in former installations ;) )
Everything is fine until a comment is posted or previewed. There nothing will happen, except that this message followed by an empty comment-form appears
?? task=""
So I set error_report to E_ALL and switched debugging on. After that php would give out this notice:
Notice: Undefined property: yvcommentViewcomment::$task in /home/www/sp02_101/html/joomla/components/com_yvcomment/views/comment/view.html.php on line 206
I don't know any further, so I hope you will be able to help me. I'm using Joomla 1.5.7, PHP5 and Mysql5 5.

You may take a look at it yourself: http://helga-online.de/joomla/index.php ... s&Itemid=8
Please notice: I switched debugging off again for it didn't result in any useful information and because of security reasons. I had to set error_report back to normal, because the post-url of the comment-form would contain a notice and thus it wouldn't work at all any more.

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by yvolk » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:53 am

t.animal wrote:I got a strange problem. I thought of switching the extension, however yvcomment is definetly the best (at least it was, when I used it in former installations ;) )
Everything is fine until a comment is posted or previewed. There nothing will happen, except that this message followed by an empty comment-form appears
?? task=""
It looks like you use custom template override (Am I right?), and that custom template is outdated now.
If yes, please recreate it, based on current templates, included in the package...
t.animal wrote:So I set error_report to E_ALL and switched debugging on. After that php would give out this notice:
Notice: Undefined property: yvcommentViewcomment::$task in /home/www/sp02_101/html/joomla/components/com_yvcomment/views/comment/view.html.php on line 206
Due to to the problem (I think, with your custom template), yvcomment didn't know, what to do and tried to print it: here you found a bug: it's in this error reporting part of code (and it doesn't affect normal work of this extension).
To see proper error report, please change in that line '$this->task' to '$task'.

Lambas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:03 pm

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by Lambas » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:53 am

hello my friends!!!

Please is there any way to link the username to the fireboard profile of that user??

Dont know if im asking too much but this will be very cool if possible to happen!! :))

paulpa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:33 pm

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by paulpa » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:53 am

I thought I'd post a note to both the yvComment and the Bigo Captcha threads so that others may benefit from my experience.

First of all, I think both products are well on their way to being strong additions to Joomla. Both Yuri and Matheus should be congratulated for doing good work and I look forward to their future efforts. I also plan to donate in the very near future.

Second, let me discuss my experience installing these. I ran into the same problem many others have noted in that the Captcha image would not display. If you are finding this to be the case please take note to how I managed to get this to work.

I first upgraded my server (I'm on a dedicated server) to PHP 5 prior to loading both products. Once the products were uploaded I followed all the enabling rules and setups and as mentioned I could not see the image. Next, following Yuri's detailed instructions for yvComment I upgraded MySQL to 5 (and also upgraded Apache to 2 at the same time). Again no image.

At this point I searched numerous forums, including these two, and saw lots of suggestions including the one that discussed time limit settings on the server for loading PHP. I played with that and again no image.

Finally, after a few hours of searching I discovered something that seemed to be mentioned in passing in a few areas but not emphasized. YOU NEED TO HAVE GD-LIB AND FREETYPE INSTALLED ON YOUR SERVER. These are apparently not default installs for many hosting services.

I hope this helps some folks who are having similar problems.

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by yvolk » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 am

Lambas wrote:hello my friends!!!

Please is there any way to link the username to the fireboard profile of that user??

Dont know if im asking too much but this will be very cool if possible to happen!! :))
Hi, on the contrary, I think, that this is very easy task, because, as I understand, user profiles in Joomla! and Fireboard are connected in some documented way.
Please, find the answer in fireboard forum: "How to link Joomla! user (e.g. author of the article) to the fireboard profile of that user" - this answer will be the same for yvComment and Fireboard.
Please post your findings here for other yvComment users (and maybe I will include this feature in yvComment package...).

User avatar
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by yvolk » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:50 am

paulpa wrote:I thought I'd post a note to both the yvComment and the Bigo Captcha threads so that others may benefit from my experience...
Thanks, paulpa, for your message.
I think, BigoCaptcha needs more detailed and maintained English manual (and, obviously, volunteer to create one...). Because Joomla forum is not a good candidate for the 'knowledge base' (even search in this forum is broken for months :( ...)
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

t.animal
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:30 pm

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by t.animal » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:18 pm

yvolk wrote:
t.animal wrote:Everything is fine until a comment is posted or previewed. There nothing will happen, except that this message followed by an empty comment-form appears
?? task=""
It looks like you use custom template override (Am I right?), and that custom template is outdated now.
If yes, please recreate it, based on current templates, included in the package...
Oh sorry... I read that this could be the problem. But I thought I wouldn't have used it - I did, however. Must have been inserted when I transfered the template from an older joomla version on an other server.
yvolk wrote:
t.animal wrote:So I set error_report to E_ALL and switched debugging on. After that php would give out this notice:
Notice: Undefined property: yvcommentViewcomment::$task in /home/www/sp02_101/html/joomla/components/com_yvcomment/views/comment/view.html.php on line 206
Due to to the problem (I think, with your custom template), yvcomment didn't know, what to do and tried to print it: here you found a bug: it's in this error reporting part of code (and it doesn't affect normal work of this extension).
To see proper error report, please change in that line '$this->task' to '$task'.
I corrected that line. However, $task is "view" which does not help me to... ok forget it. I just checked via FTP and saw that I indeed used template override (see above). Sorry for the inconvenience. And thanks for the absolutely great support.


Locked

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”