Joomla V 1.5.0 - I can not install ANY extensions

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
kdmonk1
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Joomla V 1.5.0 - I can not install ANY extensions

Post by kdmonk1 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:47 pm

kdmonk1
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kdmonk1 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:10 am

In your configuration file under "Server Settings" change the following:
var $tmp_path = 'C:Inetpub/vhosts/mysite.com/httpdocs/tmp';
Be sure that the path is correct, if not you will continue to receive the same error. If you still receive the same error make sure to check your php.ini file "Safe Mode" is "Off". That should get you going! Hope This Helps!!!

thenewbreed
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by thenewbreed » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:17 pm

The changes to the config file seem to be proprietary to whatever hosting company you are using. According to my hosting company, "All directories are relative to your home directory which is /home/username". The log path is given as /usr/local/apache/domlogs/username

My configuration.php site has:

var $log_path = '/home/username/public_html/logs';
var $tmp_path = '/home/username/public_html/tmp';

Is this correct or do I need to make a change? Obviously, "username" is replaced with my actual site username.

rustutzman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rustutzman » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:07 pm

thenewbreed wrote:The changes to the config file seem to be proprietary to whatever hosting company you are using. According to my hosting company, "All directories are relative to your home directory which is /home/username". The log path is given as /usr/local/apache/domlogs/username

My configuration.php site has:

var $log_path = '/home/username/public_html/logs';
var $tmp_path = '/home/username/public_html/tmp';

Is this correct or do I need to make a change? Obviously, "username" is replaced with my actual site username.

You just need to make sure the path exists and that it is writable.

Russ

thenewbreed
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by thenewbreed » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:38 pm

OK, then this is just another dead end and I still have no solution.

The path exists, the permissions on the "tmp" file are set to 777, and inside this file on the server are the zip files for the extensions I have been trying to install.

However, I still have no access to these extensions and they are not appearing as installed. Even trying to use the online URL to the zip files to "Install from URL" or "Install from Directory" produces the same result

ERROR! COULD NOT FIND A JOOMLA XML SETUP FILE IN THE PACKAGE.

I am two steps away from totally uninstalling and going with WordPress. This is a ridiculous waste of my time.

dimsum
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dimsum » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:43 pm

OH MY GOSH!
I got mine to work! For the love of all that's holy! Haha-

OK, I did not have to chmod anything to 777. I agree - that's just whack. Everything is 755.
My problem may not be the same as yours, and I will reiterate that Joomla's errors need to do a better job of pointing us to the problem. Out of curiosity, I added the $path parameter to the raiseWarning call in JFTP::mkdir. The dir that I saw it having trouble making was the root dir I had specified in my configuration.php. For me, I had it set to this:

var $tmp_path = '/mysite.com/joomla/tmp';

I set this value initially because when I connected with my FTP client, this was the path to the tmp directory. I took a look at the FTP configuration page on my web hosting provider. One line-item in the data about my FTP service was something called Home Directory. I thought to add this to the front of my FTP path:

var $tmp_path = '/hsphere/local/home/myusername/mysite.com/joomla/tmp';

That did it. I sincerely hope this helps some one!
OMG.. what do you know? IT FRAKIN' WORKS!! ahahahahha!! ;D All i did is changing the path of the tmp and logs [i don't think this one has to do with anything though].

for me it was like this..

from

Code: Select all

var $tmp_path = '/sites/mysite/www/ver2/tmp';
to

var $tmp_path = '/home/sloki/user/myusername/sites/mysite/www/ver2/tmp';
ohh and btw my root is on the subdirectory called 'ver2'..

Cheers! :)

thenewbreed
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by thenewbreed » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:14 pm

My site is hosted on Siteground, can someone please post the correct path for Siteground users?

thenewbreed
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by thenewbreed » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:01 pm

I used Fantastico to install Joomla 1.5.1. Tried to install a template or component such as SOBI2. At this point either nothing installs and the page simply refreshes, or you get a message saying "Error! Could not find a Joomla! XML setup file in the package."

After trying to find a solution on the forums at Joomla.com, I also made a few other changes to the Global Configuration, including turning on Legacy, toggling FTP Settings on and off and changing the Session Settings to 90 minutes. I changed the permission on the "tmp" folder to 777.

I sent this information to my hosting company Siteground and they fixed the problem and responded in about 5 minutes:

SOLUTION BY SITEGROUND:

Set the php version on your account to php 5.0 as explained here:

http://kb.siteground.com/article/How_to ... sions.html

rustutzman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rustutzman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:10 am

thenewbreed wrote:OK, then this is just another dead end and I still have no solution.

The path exists, the permissions on the "tmp" file are set to 777, and inside this file on the server are the zip files for the extensions I have been trying to install.

However, I still have no access to these extensions and they are not appearing as installed. Even trying to use the online URL to the zip files to "Install from URL" or "Install from Directory" produces the same result

ERROR! COULD NOT FIND A JOOMLA XML SETUP FILE IN THE PACKAGE.

I am two steps away from totally uninstalling and going with WordPress. This is a ridiculous waste of my time.
I suspect it's either safe mode is on on the PHP installation or a path issue. Can you telnet to your host and do pwd from within your site to get the actual directory? Assuming this is a Unix based host.

Hmmm... one other thing... you don't want to have the actual zip files in the tmp directory. Joomla uses the tmp directory for holding the expanded zip not the actual zip. Try installing them from your desktop. If it doesn't work do you have the ability to alter the php.ini file and restarting the php service? Turn on full error reorting and displaying all errors and stop and restart the service. That's how I originally discovered the path problem a couple of weeks ago.

Russ

edit:
Run phpinfo.php from your site and check it to see if the zip extension is running. You might also get some better path info. You can grab a copy from anywhere and upload it your site just to check things out.

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:38 pm

Is there anyone knowing how to solve the install Community Builder plugins for J 1.5 with CB 1.1?

I have not seen any solution there at Joomla polis about this and they say "wait until php 6 coming" >:(
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

salaro
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by salaro » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:03 pm

This is my first post and therefore I am new to LAMP and Joomla. I have been developing for some time in windows environment with .net. however, recently and got excited with the great advancements in Joomla as a great CMS.

Purchased a VPS from 1and1 and managed to upgrade it to plesk 8.3 - I have also managed to install Joomla 1.5.2 fairly easily.

However, 1.5 on local on Vista works great/ yet on Linux due to my lack of experience with MySQL, PHP5 is proving fairly difficult.

I have developed a skin that uploads with no issue on local. But on the live server gives this error:-

“JFolder::create: Could not create directory Unable to create destination”

One solution was that safe mode is turned on. However I have looked up and down the directory both in Joomla folder as well as Vault_Scripts

I see number of php.ini but none have any mention of setting #Safe=on so I can change it.

I wonder if anyone knows where to find the correct ini

Also

Would this cause the installation to be unsafe?

Many thanks in advance.

Salar

lanedouglas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lanedouglas » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:33 pm

Resetting my PHP version backwards to 5.0.5 worked FINALLY. I was trying every solution posted here with no success. Then I discovered that my hosting company had upgraded my PHP to 5.2... and suddenly installation in Joomla 1.5.1 stopped working.

bttman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bttman » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:15 pm

Suddenly I can not install any new extensions. Worked yesterday morning but no longer works. Keep getting the "could not find an xml setup file in the package".
tmp directory path in configuration is correct
tmp is 777
ftp is off (and on)
All my directory permissions show green.
php 5.2.5 xampp on a mac.
localhost with hosts file mod so it goes to http://www.mysite.tst
Joomla! 1.5.0 Stable (will upgrade to 1.5.1 this afternoon)
To the best of my knowledge, 1.5.1 did not have a Fix for this problem or it would have been mentioned at least once in this (or other) thread.

like I said. It worked yesterday morning and I've made no changes to permissions or anything that I'm aware of.

One thing I noticed is that the ownership of the uploaded zip is "nobody" everyone else has read only permission.

Have any of the developers read this thread yet? Any ideas as to the root cause? Any recommendations for troubleshooting and repair?

I'd think there ought to be a sticky post with the solution for this problem.
joe

lanedouglas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lanedouglas » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:22 pm

BTTMAN...

Read the post right above yours. (I'ts mine). It's your PHP version that is blocking the install module. PHP 5.2.5 will not work with Joomla 1.5.1. You need to set your PHP back to an earlier version. I set mine to 5.0.5 and everything worked again.

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:38 am

Is there still no fix for this so J 1.5.1 can work with PHP 5.2.5? hope this will be priority to fix......
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

bttman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bttman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:10 pm

lanedouglas wrote:BTTMAN...

Read the post right above yours. (I'ts mine). It's your PHP version that is blocking the install module. PHP 5.2.5 will not work with Joomla 1.5.1. You need to set your PHP back to an earlier version. I set mine to 5.0.5 and everything worked again.
Thought I responded to this but must have hit (useless) "Save".
Your response is incorrect. At least for me it is.

Extension installation worked fine under PHP 5.2.5... for a while. Then it just suddenly stopped working. Switching to php 4 did not help at all.
What I have noticed is that when I do the installation, the install zip file gets copied into the tmp folder, so obviously the config path is correct. However, the copied zip file has an owner, "nobody". Permissions are set on the copied zip file such that everyone other than "nobody" can only read the file. I suspect that this is what is (on the surface) causing the inability to find the xml file. The real question is... why is Joomla! copying the zip file into the tmp directory with the ownership and permissions screwed up?

I do not believe that there is any problem with Joomla! having to do with PHP 5.2.5 (just a theory) but with Joomla! 1.5 itself.
I still think it would be appropriate (and much appreciated) for one of the developers (are there any?) or someone intimately familiar with the installation code to have a look at this and respond.
Environment:
Joomla 1.5 Stable (had a crash so have not upgraded to 1.5.1 yet)
XAMPP for Mac OS X
OS X 10.4.11
localhost but also using hosts file to redirect to http://www.mytestsite.tst.

joe

senojeel
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by senojeel » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:28 pm

One thing I have noticed, and this may not have anything to do with this problem, is that on Mac OS X if you have Safari automatically expand the zip you have to re-zip it to install it. I was using the Finder Compress to create the zip. Those zips were failing to install about 90% of the time. I then used Stuffit to zip them and installation almost always works now.

My 2 cents.

bttman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bttman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:18 pm

senojeel wrote:One thing I have noticed, and this may not have anything to do with this problem, is that on Mac OS X if you have Safari automatically expand the zip you have to re-zip it to install it. I was using the Finder Compress to create the zip. Those zips were failing to install about 90% of the time. I then used Stuffit to zip them and installation almost always works now.

My 2 cents.
I do not use safari. I only use firefox. This has nothing to do with the un-zipping process. It has to do with apparent inappropriate setting of ownership or permissions by Joomla! 1.5 when it copies the installation zip file into the tmp directory.
Still waiting for someone who knows Joomla! 1.5 installation code to join this thread. I'm becoming quite concerned that the "new beginnings" thread http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=265771 may have been an epitaph :'(
joe

lanedouglas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lanedouglas » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:22 pm

bttman....

Sorry to hear it's still not working. Your problem sounded so incredibly similar to mine that I was sure it was the same. I was installing extensions just fine and then two things occurred simultaneously: (1) I patched up to 1.5.1, and (2) my hosting company upgraded to PHP5.2.5. That's when everything went haywire. Incidentally, I was having the exact same issue with the ZIP files getting uploaded to the TMP directory with wacked permissions.

A few notes:

1. The reason I knew to switch backwards to an earlier version of PHP 5 was because my hosting company (siteground) sent me a notice informing me of the upgrade with a warning that PHP 5.2.5 was known to be buggy with some scripting issues and that not all applications would work with it. So it may not be so much with Joomla 1.5 as it is with PHP 5.2.5. Especially if your hosting company is doing the patching automatically for you... this would explain the instantaneous "stop" of things.

2. Try changing to early versions of PHP 5 as opposed to PHP 4. I can't recall, nor can I find the post... but somewhere I recollect that Joomla 1.5 was only FULLY compatible with select versions of PHP 5. Somewhere I read a post that only certain versions of PHP 5 worked.

lanedouglas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lanedouglas » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:31 pm

OK.... couldn't verify the post about Joomla 1.5.1 not working with PHP 4... except that alot of people report problems with 5.0.4.

However... if you have not done so, read the content of this post. A lot of people are also reporting problems with 5.2.5

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 1#p1225801

bttman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bttman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:13 pm

lanedouglas wrote:bttman....

Sorry to hear it's still not working. Your problem sounded so incredibly similar to mine that I was sure it was the same. I was installing extensions just fine and then two things occurred simultaneously: (1) I patched up to 1.5.1, and (2) my hosting company upgraded to PHP5.2.5. That's when everything went haywire. Incidentally, I was having the exact same issue with the ZIP files getting uploaded to the TMP directory with wacked permissions.

A few notes:

1. The reason I knew to switch backwards to an earlier version of PHP 5 was because my hosting company (siteground) sent me a notice informing me of the upgrade with a warning that PHP 5.2.5 was known to be buggy with some scripting issues and that not all applications would work with it. So it may not be so much with Joomla 1.5 as it is with PHP 5.2.5. Especially if your hosting company is doing the patching automatically for you... this would explain the instantaneous "stop" of things.

2. Try changing to early versions of PHP 5 as opposed to PHP 4. I can't recall, nor can I find the post... but somewhere I recollect that Joomla 1.5 was only FULLY compatible with select versions of PHP 5. Somewhere I read a post that only certain versions of PHP 5 worked.
I really don't think PHP is the problem. I'm working in a development environment using xampp on a mac, os x 10.4.11. I am "the hosting company" and "the hosting company" did not make any changes to php since before the clean install of Joomla 1.5.

I still say there's got to be an explanation for why Joomla is copying the install file into the tmp directory with ownership given to the user "nobody" and permission set to read only for everyone but "nobody". I really suspect that if we can solve that, the problem will be resolved.
Thanks for responding. If I find out who "nobody" is, I'll put it here.
joe

pasamio
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pasamio » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:15 am

I dont think the issue is with PHP 5.2.5, I have that in my primary development environment in my office (self compiled; though its a Linux box), usually an inability to install extensions stems from an inability for Apache to put stuff where it wants. If you're testing locally just try doing this to see if it solves things:
cd /path/to/joomla
sudo chmod -R 777 .

Test that you can still not install things after doing this. What might have happened is that you've change permissions on some directories. What you may also wish to try is using the built in Apache version as well if you're using MAMP/XAMPP, though that usually requires some slightly MySQL tweaking (Google knows the answer if you ask it nicely).

Sam
Sam Moffatt
Updater, Installer and Authentication Systems
JoomlaCode Backend Systems
Pie.

bttman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bttman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:31 pm

pasamio wrote:I dont think the issue is with PHP 5.2.5, I have that in my primary development environment in my office (self compiled; though its a Linux box), usually an inability to install extensions stems from an inability for Apache to put stuff where it wants. If you're testing locally just try doing this to see if it solves things:
cd /path/to/joomla
sudo chmod -R 777 .

Test that you can still not install things after doing this. What might have happened is that you've change permissions on some directories. What you may also wish to try is using the built in Apache version as well if you're using MAMP/XAMPP, though that usually requires some slightly MySQL tweaking (Google knows the answer if you ask it nicely).

Sam
I'll try this but if it works, how do I figure out which direcotry had the wrong permission set? How do I know what permission to set all the folders back to?

Also, and again, I can install if I install from a directory, just not from a zip. The zip gets copied into the tmp folder as it should but then Joomla complains that it cannot find the xml file. I also observed that when Joomla copies the zip file into the tmp directory it does not set permission on that directory to 777 but rather only allows the Apache user (default = nobody) permissions other than read.

bttman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bttman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:52 pm

pasamio wrote:I dont think the issue is with PHP 5.2.5, I have that in my primary development environment in my office (self compiled; though its a Linux box), usually an inability to install extensions stems from an inability for Apache to put stuff where it wants. If you're testing locally just try doing this to see if it solves things:
cd /path/to/joomla
sudo chmod -R 777 .

Sam
Hi Sam,
Are you sure that command is correct? I get what appears to be an error message saying:
"usage: chmod [-fv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-a |+a | =a [# [ n]]] mode|entry file..."
I'll go dig up my Mac Os X Unix books and see if I can figure out what went wrong.
joe

silly me ... the dot at the end of sudo chmod -R 777 . isn't a period, it's the file list...

Going to test now
joe

bttman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bttman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:14 pm

cd /path/to/joomla
sudo chmod -R 777 .

Sam
Changing everything to 777 did not help.
I still get "Error! Could not find an xml setup file in the package."
Also, still I'm still getting the behavior that the installation zip file that Joomla copied into the tmp directory has ownership given to "nobody" and all others have read-only access. This seems to be a problem with how Joomla is copying the file into the tmp directory, not with permissions already established on the Joomla directories.
Help!
joe

pasamio
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pasamio » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:43 pm

Try with a tar archive instead, I'll build some dummy components for you to try out with later this afternoon. I've got a feeling there is something funny with the zip files because I've run into something similar before when using nested zip files though I never quite got down to what was causing it.
Sam Moffatt
Pie.

ivan8r
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ivan8r » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:43 am

I've tried all of the suggestions I've found on this subject, and I still can't install MOST extensions. I was able to install a few templates, and 1 component (Phoca Favicon) successfully. I have been trying to install eXtplorer or JXplorer, and I can't get either of them to work. I've tried a few plugins, and they won't install either.

All failed installs generate a 500 Internal Server error. Premature end of script headers: index.php

So far I've tried:
PHP 4.4.8 and 5.2.1
Register Globals -> Off
chmod components and administrator/components to 777
Install from URL

Checked php.ini and it gives 30 secs for scripts to execute. 500 error takes about 5 seconds.

I'm really interested in using 1.5.1, but at this point I can't use it. I hope somebody can think of something new for me to try.

pasamio
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pasamio » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:52 am

Is it a Joomla! internal server error (e.g. looks like one of our 404's) or is it a server internal server error from your server (e.g. ugly plain text Apache thing or IIS error message)? If it is an Apache error then this would suggest that there is in fact an issue with your build of PHP and Apache. If it isn't it enabling debugging in Joomla! should give you a back trace to see what has gone wrong. It sounds like an issue at a higher level than Joomla! though, so check your server configuration.
Sam Moffatt
Pie.

bttman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bttman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:16 pm

pasamio wrote:Try with a tar archive instead, I'll build some dummy components for you to try out with later this afternoon. I've got a feeling there is something funny with the zip files because I've run into something similar before when using nested zip files though I never quite got down to what was causing it.
Thanks!
The test file i'm using is about as simple as it gets. It's just a simple xml install file inside a directory folder. There are no <files> to import. It just creates a menu item and that's all. There are no nested zips or any other files in the directory. As I've indicated, the install works fine if I install from directory, but fails 100% installing from the zip. Also, just a reminder, the zip file copied by Joomla into its tmp directory has permission set to read only for everyone except "nobody".
Here's the xml code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE install SYSTEM "http://dev.joomla.org/xml/1.5/component-install.dtd">
<install type="component" version="1.5">

<name>registration</name>

<creationDate>February 2008</creationDate>
	<author>Author</author>
	<authorEmail>author@email</authorEmail>
	<authorUrl>www.author.com</authorUrl>
	<copyright>(C) Copyright 2008 by Author</copyright>
	<license>Private No Distribution</license>
	<version>1.0.0</version>

<description>test</description>

<administration>
		<menu>New Registration</menu>
	</administration>
	<install />
	<uninstall />

</install>
Thanks for having a look!
joe

bttman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bttman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:18 pm

pasamio wrote:Try with a tar archive instead, I'll build some dummy components for you to try out with later this afternoon. I've got a feeling there is something funny with the zip files because I've run into something similar before when using nested zip files though I never quite got down to what was causing it.
I may have stumbled across something interesting...
I followed your advice (after learning how to tar ;) ) and when I tarred the directory that contained "only the sql file" I was surprised to see a whole list of other files and a directory also got tarred up... Did I mention that I'm using subversion & subclipse in my development environment? Well, turns out that subversion was creating an extensive directory hierarchy within my test extension folder that was hidden (.svn). Using TinkerTool I turned on "Show hidden and system files" and can see the entire directory structure now.
I tried zipping up the directory after removing the .svn directory. Still no joy.
Then I tried your suggestion of tarring the directory... success! :D

So, now I know how to make it work, but why doesn't zip work??? I'm using the "standard" Mac Os X "Create Archive" for making the zip.

Thanks,
joe

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”