Joomla V 1.5.0 - I can not install ANY extensions

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
bttman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Joomla V 1.5.0 - I can not install ANY extensions

Post by bttman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:44 pm

I think I've found a significant contributor to the problem in my environment!
I'm developing on Mac Os X 10.4.11. Os X Finder creates a hidden file called .DS_Store in every directory you create. What I found was that if I deleted the .DS_Store file before zipping up the directory, then installation using the zip file worked!
I've found that it is very tricky to delete the .DS_Store file and create the archive before the .DS_Store file is re-created by Os X. However, on the occasions where I was fast enough on the mouse clicks to first get rid of .DS_Store and then create the zip archive before Os X recreated it, installation using the resulting zip file was successful.
On the other hand, 100% of the time when .DS_Store was included in the zip, installation failed!

So, the question is... Why does Joomla (or apache or whoever) gag when .DS_Store is included in the zip archive, but it's ok when .DS_Store is included in the tar archive?
A related question (my problem, not Joomla's) is how do I keep .DS_Store out of the zip???

EDIT: Once I found the "cause" of this problem (for me) I was able to refine my search and found this relevant post:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 55#p731005
The provide a means for Mac users to remove the offensive content from the zip files.

Hope this helps some other folks having similar issues.
joe

pasamio
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pasamio » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:19 am

I've found a wide range of zip tools create invalid or strange zip files for what ever reason. I was trying to learn Phing at one stage until it started building invalid ZIP files which is a PITA when it suddenly stopped working (took me a short while to work out the zip file's directory listing was invalid which caused issues). Additionally throwing in your Subversion directories can confuse Joomla! sometimes because it'll find something that looks like an install file and may not be (or maybe an old version). The easiest way is to export out and zip it up or tar it up in a simple script. That way none of the fs stuff goes through because it doesn't have any extra information and if you never open it up with Finder the .DS_Store files aren't created. What is actually breaking it (if the structure is the same as the zip one you linked to) is that there is an xml file that is invalid which causes Joomla! (well the XML lib) to choke because it causes an error when trying to parse what says its an XML file but is actually a hidden filesystem file used in Mac OS X to retain extra metadata and in this case it is probably a resource fork for some reason (one of my other open source projects is a metadata file system research project so I've spent a lot of time researching how different systems preserve metadata).

The reason tar works in this case is that the command line tools don't preserve the extra data that the GUI tools appear to do. If you extract the file on a Linux box you will see what I mean or unzip to a directory using the Terminal so that it creates the __MACOSX directory. In the __MACOSX directory you'll have a folder matching your zip's structure however the files will be ._filename instead of just their filename. When you look at these files you'll find they're actually binary files and this is what causes the install process to potentially choke.

I just did a quick test with my Mac and creating the zip using Finder causes the issue however using the command line tool present no such difficulty. The .DS_Store file still exists in both, however the Finder created zip archive also has the __MACOSX folder. When I use the command line Mac OS X "unzip" tool it creates the __MACOSX file and when I use the Mac OS X one to extract the file it restores the file normally with no excess data. So what we're seeing in Joomla! is the correct output, but there is obviously a bug where it doesn't like invalid XML files.

I created up a component and gave it a go, ensured it had a .DS_Store file in and zipped it up. It appears to work properly. I then tried to use Finder to create the zip. If i clicked on the Folder and said create archive I could never get that to work. I'd say that the Finder way of doing things is somewhat hit and miss and it could include stuff that isn't quite right. Obviously the work around here is to use the command line tool, good to hear we got one more issue solved ;)
Sam Moffatt
Updater, Installer and Authentication Systems
JoomlaCode Backend Systems
Pie.

bttman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bttman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:50 pm

It would sure be nice if a sticky topic could be posted regarding developing on a mac... Simply stated... don't use the finder's "Create Archive" to create your zip file. What would be even more cool is if someone (obviously more knowledgeable that me) could provide an automator app (with shell script call) that would produce a clean zip.
I have a question into the apple support forum regarding this subject. I'm new to both automator as well as shell scripting so have not been successful in getting a zip script to work though I can do it through the terminal.

zip call should include something like -x *.DS_Store -x *.svn* I'm guessing.
joe

bttman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bttman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:42 pm

bttman wrote:It would sure be nice if a sticky topic could be posted regarding developing on a mac... Simply stated... don't use the finder's "Create Archive" to create your zip file. What would be even more cool is if someone (obviously more knowledgeable that me) could provide an automator app (with shell script call) that would produce a clean zip.
I have a question into the apple support forum regarding this subject. I'm new to both automator as well as shell scripting so have not been successful in getting a zip script to work though I can do it through the terminal.

zip call should include something like -x *.DS_Store -x *.svn* I'm guessing.
joe
I've attached an automator workflow that tar's / gzips files/folders excluding .DS_Store and .svn
I did this by modifying a workflow I found for justt tar/gzip. I have no idea how robust it might be or if it removes multiple levels of .DS_Store.
If you know how to make this better, post it.
joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HarryHekker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HarryHekker » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:59 pm

Hi,

I recently installed 1.5 and have a variety of problems including: 'Joomla V 1.5.0 - I can not install ANY extensions'.

Did my installation from the mac OSX desktop through ftp.
Could it be this hidden file thing is at the core of my problems?

H

Problem Description:
Can not upload files from Media Manager
Can not load any extentions
Get all kinds of crappy error messages in Administrator
Browser message 'do you want password manager to store your changed password? Yes or No?' without changing password or even changing anything

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.1 Production/Stable [ Seenu ] 8-February-2008 22:00 GMT
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 770 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p8 ( i386) | Web Server: Apache/2.0.61 (FreeBSD) mod_ssl/2.0.61 OpenSSL/0.9.8g mod_python/3.3.1 Python/2.5.1 mod_perl/2.0.3 Perl/v5.8.8 | PHP Version: 5.2.5
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Disabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.0.51 ( Localhost via UNIX socket )

Extended Information:
SEF: Disabled (without ReWrite) | FTP Layer: Enabled | htaccess: Implemented
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same. (PHP/suExec probably not installed)
PHP Environment: API: apache2handler | MySQLi: No | Max. Memory: 128M | Max. Upload Size: 4M | Max. Post Size: 8M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Zend Version: 2.2.0
Disabled Functions: system, exec, passthru
MySQL Client: 5.0.51 ( latin1 )
Harry the wouldbe hekker

bttman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bttman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:36 pm

Harry,
This sounds very different from the problem I was having. I'd suggest trying to separate problems as they may be from a variety of causes.
The problem I was having was trying to install extensions that I had "opened up" or created under Os X, and then zipping them up for installation using the Finder archive utility. Previously I had installed extensions that came zipped with no problem as long as I did not try to peer into them prior to installation (and then re-zip them).
I might recommend that you start over again with the installation of Joomla, following the installation instructions carefully, step by step, and get help at any step that doesn't work or doesn't seem right. Before installing any extensions, make sure all your global configuration settings are correct. Many of the issues other have had were due to incorrect path specifications, ftp settings, etc. Also, make sure your server configuration has all the necessary directories and files writable (that does not mean that you should set EVERYTHING to 777). As a last resort you could set the entire Joomla directory to 777 but that's not a viable production environment IMHO.
good luck,
joe
HarryHekker wrote:Hi,

I recently installed 1.5 and have a variety of problems including: 'Joomla V 1.5.0 - I can not install ANY extensions'.

Did my installation from the mac OSX desktop through ftp.
Could it be this hidden file thing is at the core of my problems?

H

Problem Description:
Can not upload files from Media Manager
Can not load any extentions
Get all kinds of crappy error messages in Administrator
Browser message 'do you want password manager to store your changed password? Yes or No?' without changing password or even changing anything

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.1 Production/Stable [ Seenu ] 8-February-2008 22:00 GMT
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 770 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p8 ( i386) | Web Server: Apache/2.0.61 (FreeBSD) mod_ssl/2.0.61 OpenSSL/0.9.8g mod_python/3.3.1 Python/2.5.1 mod_perl/2.0.3 Perl/v5.8.8 | PHP Version: 5.2.5
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Disabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.0.51 ( Localhost via UNIX socket )

Extended Information:
SEF: Disabled (without ReWrite) | FTP Layer: Enabled | htaccess: Implemented
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same. (PHP/suExec probably not installed)
PHP Environment: API: apache2handler | MySQLi: No | Max. Memory: 128M | Max. Upload Size: 4M | Max. Post Size: 8M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Zend Version: 2.2.0
Disabled Functions: system, exec, passthru
MySQL Client: 5.0.51 ( latin1 )

HarryHekker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HarryHekker » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:50 pm

thxs joe,

I already installed everything all over again but I will do that again anyhow.

H

ps. How did you like my diagnostic stuff? Pretty impressive huh? 8)
Harry the wouldbe hekker

lanedouglas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lanedouglas » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:07 pm

Harry...

I know it was not the solution for Joe, but before you go through a lot of trouble, take the time to switch back to PHP 5.1. There are enough posts on this board about the conflicts between Joomla 1.5.1 and PHP 5.2.5 to make that one of your attempts at a solution. That was the problem for me not being able to install extensions.

Lane

cgourlay
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by cgourlay » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:19 pm

I had the same issue. I have phpSuExec installed on my server. When I checked phpinfo, I found that my tmp directory was not writable.

I logged in through SSH to check this, and found that public_html/tmp didn't even exist. Not sure why the installer wouldn't create it if it didn't exist, but it seems you need to create this directory manually.

Installs now work fine.

HarryHekker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HarryHekker » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:47 pm

Right,

but:

I don't have a server

I have a ISP

does lower php mean: other ISP?

Harry
Harry the wouldbe hekker

bttman
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bttman » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:46 am

Wow!
I sure wish that some of the Joomla! developers or heros would intervene here. I cannot believe that switching to a php 4 version is the answer. Most web hosts are switching to php 5 and soon there will be no support for php 4 at all. I'd have to guess that almost all of the development of Joomla 1.5 was done on a mix of php versions, many of which were php 5 verities. My personal experience is that php 5.2.5 has caused no problems.
One time a guy pulled over and changed his tire because his engine was overheating. After about the third time he'd done this, his buddy asked him why he was changing the tire. The guy replied that it seemed to work so he kept doing it. Every time he overheated, he'd pull over, take the 15 minutes or so to change the tire, and when he was ready to go, the engine was cooled down enough to make it a few more miles :D
As a respected teacher once told me... try never to confuse symptoms with the problem. Symptoms are usually easy to see. The problem leading to those symptoms can often be elusive.
HarryHekker wrote:Right,

but:

I don't have a server

I have a ISP

does lower php mean: other ISP?

Harry

pasamio
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pasamio » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:11 am

cgourlay wrote:I had the same issue. I have phpSuExec installed on my server. When I checked phpinfo, I found that my tmp directory was not writable.

I logged in through SSH to check this, and found that public_html/tmp didn't even exist. Not sure why the installer wouldn't create it if it didn't exist, but it seems you need to create this directory manually.

Installs now work fine.
Seems strange, the tmp directory is in the installer on a fresh install, perhaps you missed it when uploading or some strange order of the planets changed the directory entry and it disappeared.
bttman wrote: I cannot believe that switching to a php 4 version is the answer. Most web hosts are switching to php 5 and soon there will be no support for php 4 at all. I'd have to guess that almost all of the development of Joomla 1.5 was done on a mix of php versions, many of which were php 5 verities. My personal experience is that php 5.2.5 has caused no problems.
As is mine, I run PHP 5.2.5 in my development environment without any issues, its strange that a small upgrade in PHP version could break Joomla! the way it sounds like it is. What might be the case is that hosting providers utilise either mod_php or run the application as CGI. Between the changes in configuration can also mean a change in permissions and various other settings.
bttman wrote:As a respected teacher once told me... try never to confuse symptoms with the problem. Symptoms are usually easy to see. The problem leading to those symptoms can often be elusive.
Yes, one of my old engineering lecturers was big on identifying the problem instead of treating the symptoms. What we need to work out in this case is what actually changes when people are switching PHP versions. Is it switching from a module (Apache security context) to a CGI app (potentially the users context)? Is one running with safe mode or other such strangeness? Does one have something like phpsuexec running and the other not? Is it a bug in the FTP layer that causes things to behave incorrectly? Is there a combination of bugs with the PHP version locking things down in a patch release that wasn't locked down previously? Lots of question, not enough answers ;)
Sam Moffatt
Updater, Installer and Authentication Systems
JoomlaCode Backend Systems
Pie.

HarryHekker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HarryHekker » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:58 pm

Hi,

I said I'd install everything all over again, I did, and I just succesfully installed something.
So I'm gone from this thread. :)

Hope all others get things fixed too!

Bye,

Harry
Harry the wouldbe hekker

rapt0r2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rapt0r2 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:01 pm

I had the same proble but my friend did manage to fix it... :D
Signature rules : http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65
Only exact url's allowed

meijo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by meijo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:27 pm

I was having the same problem zipping my fist attempt of a template, and after many tries and wasted time thinking that it was a problem with my files, I started thinking that it might be the zipping method. I found this free application:
http://www.yellowmug.com/yemuzip/
I tried it and it worked, but I never knew exactly why. Now reading your post I understand the cause and the fact that the application lets you select the platform explains it all. No more .DS_Store files.

Thank you for solving the mystery for me. :)

littlepaul
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by littlepaul » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:59 am

I had the same. It's a permissions thing. 777 indeed works, but quite you're quite right its insecure.

However, I changed the ownsership to site, and group ownership to apache, and then chmoded everything to 775.

chown site:apache * -R
chmod 775 * -R

where site is the owner of the site.

Hope that helps some.

johnnybgoodwin
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by johnnybgoodwin » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:18 am

I spent hours in the forum looking at random and unconnected solutions.
Here's what worked for me:
The bug seems to be in Firefox - when I used Internet Explorer, I could install to a site that just today I suddenly could not install to....
If you're using Firefox, try using IE, and see if that gets you going....
Cheers
John

ovidiubica
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ovidiubica » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:03 am

You are right, that seems to be the problem but removing the stored login information in firefox does the trick, no reason to get back to Internet Explorer, really ;)
Yesterday was the past, tomorrow will be the future but today is a gift and that's why we call it present.

Urby
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Urby » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:44 am

After an hour of testing the suggestions the upload still doesn't work for me. But having another Joomla installation where the module installed correctly allowed me to work around it: I simply copied the module folder from there! It doesn't feel good but it saved my day. 8) I wonder now if it would have worked just to transfer the unzipped files....

kdmonk1
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kdmonk1 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:49 pm

If you look at page 6 it will show you how to correct this problem..If not, then here is the info:

http://dev.joomla.org/component/option, ... er-create/

In your configuration file under "Server Settings" change the following:
var $tmp_path = 'C:Inetpub/vhosts/mysite.com/httpdocs/tmp';
Be sure that the path is correct, if not you will continue to receive the same error. If you still receive the same error make sure to check your php.ini file "Safe Mode" is "Off". That should get you going! Hope This Helps!!!

kdmonk1
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kdmonk1 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:50 pm

If you look at page 6, it will show you how to config this to work. If not, here are the instructions...

http://dev.joomla.org/component/option, ... er-create/

In your configuration file under "Server Settings" change the following:
var $tmp_path = 'C:Inetpub/vhosts/mysite.com/httpdocs/tmp';
Be sure that the path is correct, if not you will continue to receive the same error. If you still receive the same error make sure to check your php.ini file "Safe Mode" is "Off". That should get you going! Hope This Helps!!!

Mac2605
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Mac2605 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:36 am

Hi Guys,

I managed to find a workaround for this so here it is (I already posted that message in another thread but I know how frustrating it can be to have to look at all these)

The issue in my humble opinion is a bug in the way Joomla handle the info provided in the configuration.php file about path to the tmp folder

I run Joomla 1.5.7
This is hosted on a VPS Server Linux (kernel 2.6.9-67.0.4.ELsmp)
Apache 2.2.8 (unix)
PERL 5.8.8
PHP version 5.2.5
MySQL version 5.0.51.0-community

The FTP account I created to handle joomla gives me access to the folder where Joomla is installed

the line 31 that informs the system about the FTP root then is

var $ftp_root = '/';

When I run the FTP layer on, in order to be able to successfully modify the configuration.php file the path to the tmp folder must be '/tmp' ie line 61 in my configuration.php file is

var $tmp_path = '/tmp';

Now IF I try to Install and extension package with these setting I am able to upload the package all right (joomla installs the zip file on the /tmp folder - I can see that with FileZilla) BUT I have a very frustrating message
'unable to find install package'

Here what worked for me.
I had to change the configuration.php file to modify the var $tmp_path to the path the Joomla detected for FTP on the first install. for me it was

var $tmp_path = '/home/VPSNAME/public_html/FOLDER/tmp';

where VPSNAME was the name of my VPS server and FOLDER the folder where I installed joomla.
In order to find your path yoopilive posted a solution here:
viewtopic.php?f=470&t=215729&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

once this was done I was not able to modify the configuration.php file in the backend anymore (JFTP errors) BUT Tadaaa!!
I was able to upload and install a package without the 'unable to find install package' error

there is still (at least) one issue with this workaround as you can't modify the configuration.php in the back end with these settings.
error is
* JFTP::login: Unable to login
* JFTP::write: Unable to use passive mode

airmaxi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by airmaxi » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:19 am

Hi everybody!
had the same problem and spent days on it (also in this Forum).
finally i traced down the file doing the damage:

.../libraries/joomla/filesystem/folder.php

i have overwritten the file in the imported set with one from a native one and installations work again.

i didn´t bother to figure out the differences in the .php files yet.

hope i can help with that.

cheers,

Grover
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Grover » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:28 pm

johnnybgoodwin: The same thing, switching to install via Internet Explorer instead of Firefox, worked for me also. Thanks for the insight.
Speekeezy Publication Workshop: http://www.speekeezy.ca/
BC Car-Free: Exploring Southwestern British Columbia Without a Car: http://www.car-free.ca

zn30
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by zn30 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:05 am

I had the same problem with latest 1.5.15. I cannot install any extension. Zip file was uploaded into tmp directory, but joomla cannot unzip it. It was not problem with permissions or bad path to tmp directory.

Finally I've checked PHP configuration. When i disable extension zip.so everything is ok :)

sitelerinsitesi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sitelerinsitesi » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:17 pm

hi
i suggest to joomla 1.5.20
you must install to joomla 1.5.20

stephenjames
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stephenjames » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:01 am

RC3, even if I made things worse is the RC2, I managed to install a few components and modules, but after upgrading to RC3 (which has been a nightmare in itself - in the end I had just did a fresh install ) I have not had any of their work. So if anyone has a solution, or at least suggestions would be appreciated.
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

Archo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Archo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:40 am

sitelerinsitesi wrote:hi
i suggest to joomla 1.5.20
you must install to joomla 1.5.20
Hmm.. followed your advice, downloaded joomla 1.5.20 (i thought i did it), when unpacking found that it is Joomla 1.5.19. is it much different?

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”