"Remember Me" not working. Default login module.

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
gregkedro
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: "Remember Me" not working. Default login module.

Post by gregkedro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:11 am

beanluc wrote:Superadmins definitely can enjoy RemeberMe on the front-end - if anyone at all can.
How? How can I? I have to log in EVERY time I open my browsers and log onto my own site? And it seems like there are a lot of others experiencing the same problem.

~Greg

gregkedro
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gregkedro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:13 am

ImperialHawk wrote:Also, does anyone find themselves logged out of the forum here? Perhaps the joomla forums are not using the login module that we are using. Perhaps it is generating cookies in a different way?
I got back on this forum after several weeks of zero activity, and I was still logged in.

~Greg

ImperialHawk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ImperialHawk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:33 am

I got back on this forum after several weeks of zero activity, and I was still logged in.

~Greg
Hmm.. Greg, can you check your cookies then? I think we should start taking data for this experiment and track down the problem. Would you be able to check your cookies and report back what you have? Maybe there is something in the cookies that we can use.

I agree, I have had a large amount of time and I was still not logged out of the forums, but I am logged out of a site that is using the joomla login module. Also, it doesn't matter if you are using the default login module or not. I am using the Community Builder login module and the "remember me" Session is generated by joomla; not the specific login program. So this issue would be cross-platform.

Here is the link to the support forum with Community Builder that supports this claim.
http://www.joomlapolis.com/component/op ... 28/#128028

beanluc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by beanluc » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:08 pm

gregkedro wrote:
beanluc wrote:Superadmins definitely can enjoy RemeberMe on the front-end - if anyone at all can.
How? How can I? I have to log in EVERY time I open my browsers and log onto my own site? And it seems like there are a lot of others experiencing the same problem.

~Greg
So does everyone else. The point I was making is that your problem not related to Superadminship. If that's helpful, I'm glad. If not, "oh, well".

unstanic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by unstanic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:04 pm

Ok!
I started a new webpage and this time i needed a better hosting "package".
So I bought a better and more expensive hosting "package" from the same provider and istalled joomla.
Ofcourse the first thing to do was to check out if the remember me function works.
And it did!
Now if i check the remember me i stay logged in until i log out manually!

So it was as i suspected. The hosting was the problem.
It just didn't meet some Joomla requirements...

gregkedro
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gregkedro » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Rats... I have the cheap-skate HostMonster package, but I was assured that they were "100% Joomla Compatible."

~Greg

ImperialHawk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ImperialHawk » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:41 am

So I bought a better and more expensive hosting "package" from the same provider and istalled joomla.
Ofcourse the first thing to do was to check out if the remember me function works.
And it did!
Interesting. Could you tell us what that package included so we can check our servers?
Now if i check the remember me i stay logged in until i log out manually!
How long did you test this for (1 min, 1 day, 1 week), in what browsers, and what OSs?

unstanic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by unstanic » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:40 pm

Interesting. Could you tell us what that package included so we can check our servers
I dont know what is the detailed difference between those two hosting packages.
I would have to ask the hosting company...
I could give you the detailed information from the admin backend
(Help -> System Info -> PHP Information), but there is too much information to compare...
Except if you know excacly what to compare.
How long did you test this for (1 min, 1 day, 1 week), in what browsers, and what OSs?
I tested it in the same environment i had tested my other website that remember me didn't work.
The only thing i have changed, as i explained, was my hosting package.
I tested it for a few hours and i was still logged in.
Before i was auto logged out after about 10 minutes.
Let me test it for a longer period and i ll let you know.

EDIT

Ok!
2 Days now and i am still logged in!
So the problem was fixed.

For all of you having the same problem, just make sure
your hosting provider meets all of joomla requirements.
(I'm sorry but i don't know which exactly...)

gregkedro
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gregkedro » Fri May 21, 2010 4:19 pm

Just for what it's worth... Two days ago I logged into my site and I've been logged in ever since. The "Remember Me" is now working. I can close the browser, reboot, etc., and when I come back to my site, I'm still logged in. Nice. It must be some server-side issue (as stated a few posts back, I think) because I didn't do anything, and now it works. I'm hosted on HostMonster's cheapie package, just in case anyone is interested.

Happy camper.

~Greg

rlubensky
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rlubensky » Thu May 27, 2010 3:20 am

Could I please get something more detailed than "upgrade hosting package" as the resolution? I have a very good ISP, so I'd like to know the particular configuration option that needs to be enabled for "Remember Me" to work.
--Ron.

junsve
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by junsve » Thu May 27, 2010 7:28 am

rlubensky wrote:Could I please get something more detailed than "upgrade hosting package" as the resolution? I have a very good ISP, so I'd like to know the particular configuration option that needs to be enabled for "Remember Me" to work.
Me too,
I run my own server and would like to know what settings are required for "Remember me" to work properly.
Does anyone know exactly what the problem is?
/Sven

rlubensky
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rlubensky » Thu May 27, 2010 1:24 pm

It's been reported elsewhere that the solution is to log out, then clear cookies for the domain.
--Ron.

PeteShaw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PeteShaw » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:43 am

Hate to burst the bubble about it being ISP-related, but I'm experiencing the same problems for dozens of my users, and my site is hosted on Rochen. Given they host Joomla.org (and the reason why I'm with them), that would suggest the ISP is a red-herring, and it's more likely to be some config that happens (seemingly frequently).

Users are reporting this problem in IE8, Safari, Firefox, on Mac & PC, etc - so it seems pretty widespread. I think it probably is cookie-related, and possibly some odd interaction between Joomla and one of its components or the bridged forum.

My basic set up (on the most effected site) is; Joomla + JomSocial + phpBB. It looks like Joomla is putting cookies in domain.com whereas phpBB is using .domain.com - is this related?

I also have AJAX Register, QuickFAQ, RokQuickCart, RokCandy, RokBridge and the standard set of Joomla components installed. Any of those common to others experiencing this problem?

I've tried all the other options in this thread, including position of the remember me plug in and hacking the php code to make remember me the default action. Nothing, so far, works reliably - or at least long-term.

gregkedro
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gregkedro » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:26 pm

PeteShaw wrote:Users are reporting this problem in IE8, Safari, Firefox, on Mac & PC, etc
Yeah, I'd like to add to that Chrome. I had a desktop re-install and decided to testdrive Chrome for a while. It seems FireFox handles my login fine (or at least it did until the reinstall -- I haven't reinstalled FF yet) but Chrome does not. It does not maintain my login status.

Greg

indra2004_id
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by indra2004_id » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:57 am

Is there any development on this case.
I have same problem too.
It happens in my online website (in the web hosting) and my local server (in my PC)
I use http://portableapps.com/apps/development/xampp for the local server.
Perhaps everybody can try it and we'll have the same platform to repeat the problem.

mazwin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mazwin » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:05 am

euoceo wrote:It was reported in another thread that moving remember-me up higher in the module list (I think above the legacy option) fixed it for someone. Just a shot in the dark...
this solution seems to be working for me..:)

i guess there's nothing to do with php version..because im using php 5.2.0 and after try the solution as quoted above, its working! :D

yippie! :p

nanasy2
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nanasy2 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:45 am

I have the same problem too
please... any devoloper can help with this??

gravitonone
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gravitonone » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:55 pm

Thanks to a friend of mine i have found a sollution that worked for me.

In my case the Problem was the session.cookie_lifetime value in my php.ini
The php.ini is not a part of the Joomla filesystem. Many hosters don´t allow to manipulate this file. But there is a workaround for this.

How i sayed you can´t change the value in the php.ini often especially by cheap hosting packages. But you can change the value local.

To do this first you need to upload a file to youre joomlaroot directory

call the file phpinfo.php

in this file you write this following line:

Code: Select all

<?php phpinfo(); ?>
this file will help you to look how youre session.cookie_lifetime value is set.

then you open youre site with

youresite.com/phpinfo.php

then a list will open. Than you look after the entry: session.cookie_lifetime

if the both values are 0 than you have youre answer why youre remember is not working.

Next step you go again in youre file phpinfo.php and add some code. After that it will look so:

<?php ini_set('session.cookie_lifetime', 536*60*60); phpinfo(); ?>
you have added than this part:
ini_set('session.cookie_lifetime', 536*60*60);
this new part you will need in another place. You will need it in youre index.php

theire you will add this direct under this:

<?php
the 536 stays for the hours. So with 536 hours youre cookies will last 1 month. If you want more or less change it in both files or leave it so. But don´t change the other values. Its a security-risk than.

I hope it helped you. I searched long after that sollution

ImperialHawk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ImperialHawk » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Hi there! Thank you for this post. I have reviewed my PHP settings and it looks like my Session Cookie lifetime is set to "0". I am confused on your last steps-
you have added than this part:

Quote:
ini_set('session.cookie_lifetime', 536*60*60);

this new part you will need in another place. You will need it in youre index.php

theire you will add this direct under this:

Code:
<?php
Can you please clairify on this? do we just ad the line <?php without anything after that?

Also, do we have to rebuild another PHP file from this? What exactly are these lines of code doing? Is it just going to modify that PHP value about the session cookie lifetime?

Also you can see your PHP settings by going to the admin section -> site drop down-> System information -> PHP information.

Thank you!

gravitonone
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gravitonone » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:04 am

Youre index.php begins with the <?php tag. Okay

And this line: ini_set('session.cookie_lifetime', 536*60*60);
you have to put direct under the <?php tag
Nothing more. And then it will work.

But i have found an interesting new issue.
The remember me function gets ignored from session lifetime that you can set in Joomla configuration. So if youre Value is 15 min in joomla, you will get logged out after 15 min even if the cookies would work.

Thats a little bit silly. If you compare with facebook. They found somehow a sollution. They send you a cookie that remembers the user. And if you close youre browser, be 5 days away and come back you will get auto-logged or youre session will be resumed.
On the other side, while you are away facebook shows the user as offline.

In Joomla it seems so that you can choose between two possibilitys:

1) If you set session lifetime up in Joomla configuaration for expample 1 month, the Users will stay online. This setting ignores if the user is there or not, except if they logout manualy. But they will be remembered if they come back, because the remember me plugin is now working with our measure. But this setting makes the system more vulnerable for security risks and the users wil shown online in youre online modules all the time whatever comes except they logout themselves. But i think you want to show only the members that are really on this site now.

2) The second possibility is that you set youre session lifetime in Joomla Configuration to 15 min for example. But this adjustment ignores the cookie even if it works. You will be logged out if youre idle for more than this time of 15 min. And then you have this annoying issue that you have to log in many times per day. That isnt a sollution

This both session lifetime value, the one from php and the one from joomla doesnt seem to work good with each other. So it needs a fix that you can take the advantage of both options like in facebook.

claratuckbones
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by claratuckbones » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:36 pm

Azrael wrote:
euoceo wrote:It was reported in another thread that moving remember-me up higher in the module list (I think above the legacy option) fixed it for someone. Just a shot in the dark...
Didn't work...

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”