Floating flash movie with transparent background

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Floating flash movie with transparent background

Post by kenmcd » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:43 am

Hi Oliver,

I sent you a PM with the HowTo and the player.
Along with the previous Howto and these discussions I assume you can get it working.

Have fun.

Ken

██ LibreTraining

eversys
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by eversys » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:10 am

Many thanks Ken. I have managed to get the transparent player working - however, I still have the problem of positioning the movie according to a article or module. I change the .css values, but these seem to work in relation to the monitor and not article. The positioning is done within the .css - or have I totally missed the point? Any other hints would be nice.

Finally, the new transparent player is very nice. It would be nice if the play button at the end of the video could disappear - any ideas? Also, I have seen others that use this player and they have web address positioned at the bottom of the player which then links to a defined url - any ideas how to add this feature? Is this a player that one needs to purchase, or is it free - url to site would be nice.

Thanks again for your tremendous help.

sonicbooma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sonicbooma » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:46 pm

Firstly hi guys and well done on the progress so far. Sure is hard to find info on the subject.

I've read through each of your posts a number of times now including the links in this thread and for a relative novice, i think I grasp the concept of exporting with alpha ( I'm using Premier CS3) to create a transparent clip.

My current issue at the moment is, what to type in the embed "Code" field when adding the new JWplayerv4.3 to AV reloaded and what to type in the New Tag fields?

I placed a test .flv in an article using the curent version of JWplayer that comes with AVR and the video plays normaly (with the expected non-transperency). I then placed a v4.2 JWplayer in the AVR folder. And not knowing what to type in the AVR New Player "code" field or Tag fields i simply hijacked the code from the original {flv} settings. So affectively, all i did was change the name in the embed "code" field (in the AVR player settings for flv) to the 4.2 version of JWplayer). It now plays the audio from my clip, but not the video or controls or window. (You can right-click in the area it should be and get the usual flash options such as zoom). Here's a link showing what I mean (audio only), http://simonsayswebcreation.com/

Do you think its an encoding error (i.e. exporting alpha from Adobe etc.) or my settings for the New Player "code" field/Tag fields?

Any chance of linking your final how-to and the "code" you typed in AVR New Player settings for JWplayerv4.3? Any help would be much appreciated and might help me save what hair I have left :)

P.s. I feel a bit guilty interupting the long dialogue you two have going, sorry to jump in :)

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:24 pm

@sonicbooma
As long as you are on-topic, not a problem.

As discussed above . . . JW Player 4.3 is required, not 4.2 which you have embedded.

Simply copying the player embed code from an existing player will not work.
See the HowTo discussed above.
Download the HowTo CHM and follow that to create the new player in AVR.

Your Sequence01.flv file does appear to be encoded with transparency so it should work.

@Oliver - working on an in-article example . . . will post in awhile.

██ LibreTraining

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:40 pm

eversys wrote: . . . Finally, the new transparent player is very nice. It would be nice if the play button at the end of the video could disappear - any ideas? Also, I have seen others that use this player and they have web address positioned at the bottom of the player which then links to a defined url - any ideas how to add this feature? Is this a player that one needs to purchase, or is it free - url to site would be nice.
That SWF has been "borrowed" for testing/demo.
So I really have no control of how it works.
I did decompile it to poke around inside and figure-out some things about how it works.

The web address at the bottom is hardwired into the player.
The only control over it is to turn it On or Off.
In the embed code it is set to Off.

This also applies to the play button.
No way to turn it off without modifying the player.
If one knew a lot about Flash they could modify the player and recompile it.

Really what is needed is a free open source player modified for this specific purpose.
Have not seen that yet.

Last edited by kenmcd on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
██ LibreTraining

eversys
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by eversys » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:06 pm

Yep, a free open source player would be nice! Currently, I am experimenting with the moyea player which is fully customizable - I will let you know how I get along with it. Looking forward to your in-article example.

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:02 pm

eversys wrote: . . . Currently, I am experimenting with the moyea player which is fully customizable - I will let you know how I get along with it. . . .
I glanced at the Moyea player application and it looks like the SWF created includes the player and the video inside (is that correct?).
Including the video inside the SWF is not optimal for a number of reasons (see Adobe's list),
but specifically in the context of AVR and the need for flexibility - not really an option.

In your specific case, you can embed these custom player/video SWFs like any other Flash.
In AVR 1.2.6 just use the {flash} tag.
The CSS and JavaScript would be the same as for the {flvtransparent} tag.
██ LibreTraining

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:22 pm

eversys wrote: . . . however, I still have the problem of positioning the movie according to a article or module. I change the .css values, but these seem to work in relation to the monitor and not article. The positioning is done within the .css - or have I totally missed the point?
The avr_fixed_div CSS and JavaScript is for positioning a DIV relative to the browser window.
That is what it is designed for.
So it will not work for positioning a DIV within an article.

Positioning a DIV within an article is the same whether using the DIV to position some text, an image, or a video player, or whatever.
Positioning a DIV to overlay some text is the same for an image, or a video player, etc., etc.

A CSS class may be used to create the needed CSS styling code, and then that class is applied to the player DIV in the AVR tag (just like the avr_fixed_div example). The CSS class is assigned to the player DIV using the divid in the tag.

OR . . . a DIV with the CSS can simply be wrapped around the player tag.
For example, I added this code at the top of an article:

Code: Select all

<div style="position: relative; z-index: 100; left: 444px; top: 20px; height: 0px; width: 0px;">
{flvtransparent autostart="true" width="320" height="240"}iAds-transparent-torso_320x240_337kbps{/flvtransparent}
</div>
That resulted in:

That presenter video player is fixed in that position within that article.
The DIV is positioned relative to where it is inserted within the article.
In this case from the top of the article.
The code could be placed lower in the article, it could be placed at the bottom.
That CSS code could be put in a CSS class and added to a template CSS file for reuse.

Something similar could be done with the module.
But in that case I think the positioning would probably have to be absolute.
That would position the player in an exact position on the page.
Have to play with it and see.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
██ LibreTraining

eversys
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by eversys » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:22 pm

kenmcd wrote:I glanced at the Moyea player application and it looks like the SWF created includes the player and the video inside (is that correct?).
Yes, sure is.
kenmcd wrote: Including the video inside the SWF is not optimal for a number of reasons (see Adobe's list),
but specifically in the context of AVR and the need for flexibility - not really an option.
Oh really, which Adobe list do you mean and I don't really understand what type of flexibility I would miss out on if I used the moyea player?
kenmcd wrote: The avr_fixed_div CSS and JavaScript is for positioning a DIV relative to the browser window... Positioning a DIV within an article is the same whether using the DIV to position some text, an image, or a video player...
aaahaaa... starting to make more sense to me now... I will experiment a little. Thanks for the lesson ;). BTW, do you know what player the InnovateAds website uses?...that is also really nice.

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:08 am

InnovateAds uses their own custom player.
All these transparent advertising companies create their own players.

██ LibreTraining

sonicbooma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sonicbooma » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:42 am

Thanks Ken for the quick reply. I previously couldn't get the CHM to open and thought it was faulty, but have now got it working. Thanks again for your efforts

sonicbooma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sonicbooma » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:17 am

Hi guys. I've had a chance to play around a bit and have discovered a method which may be useful, in particular you Oliver and your wish for easy fixed placement relative to an article.

I followed Ken's CHM and placed my video inside an article which worked correctly. I then tried to add the video to the AVR module by skiping step 5 of the CHM and simply used the AVR Media Button to add my local video (make sure you select the NEW Transparent Player in the "Media type" field and add the height, width, autostart parameters to the tag). Then before saving the AVR module settings I selected my search position (user4 in this case) in the "Position" field. Then Saved.

I then used Firebug (excellent plugin for Firefox that allows you to non-destructively adjust/tinker with parameters and their results take affect straight away) to shift the module to where I wanted it to be, in my case on the right, outside the wrapper (this helped to get rid of the hand icon over the articles). It apeared to stay in that position after scrolling, resizing, etc.

To see my test go to, http://simonsayswebcreation.com and if you have Firebug you can adjust the user4 parameters of my clip and see how easy it is to move.

I assume that if you required videos to be in different positions on certain pages you could create extra positions or possibly duplicate the template and apply it to the page you want the position to be in.

Hope this helps, and thanks to the both of you for puting in the hard yards to get me, and I'm sure others, to a happy ending, so to speak ;)

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:44 pm

Simon,

Thanks for another working demo using the module.
One observation, having the video off the page like that may confuse some people.
I usually have multiple browsers open so I run them all at 1024 width to start.
With that browser window size the video is not visible and one wonders where that sound is coming from.
I knew to go scroll right to look for it.

Took me a minute to realize your Web Creation is a take-off on the Hollywood sign.
Looks cool.

██ LibreTraining

sonicbooma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sonicbooma » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:18 am

Yeah ken I just realised that too :)

I'm going to adjust the spokesperson in Adobe so that it is at the far left of the clips frame. I will then adjust the module so that the spokesperson is sitting just inside the wrapper. Thanks for the heads-up.

Oh, and congratulations on seeing the Hollywood sign in my header. Most people haven't caught on until I mentioned it to them. Good to know someone is on the same wave length. :) I was thinking maybe it was to vague.

eversys
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by eversys » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:23 pm

Simon - great tip using Firebug - will experiement with positioning. Thanks.

The more I think about it, I find it important to give the surfer control over the video itself. The auto-hide feature is cool (mouse over, player appears with certain controls) so that the player does not interfer with the video. I think an "exit/quit" button is necessary on the dashboard, so that the surfer can get rid of the video (not just pause or stop it) if they don't want to see it anymore. So far, I have not been able to find a player which gives this type of control (outside of the one Ken 'borrowed'). Have you guys found any?

Also, another thought, might be quite nice to have different videos display (randomly) which each visit to the site - keeps things interesting for the visitor... or perhaps the video only plays once? What are your thoughts?

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:07 pm

Simon,
I think recognizing the Hollywood sign reference has to do with familiarity.
Most people have not seen the sign close enough to recognize the support structure, and all the rest of the stuff up there on that mountain.
Lived here in SoCal my entire life.
Old enough to remember when we could walk right up to the sign.
Awhile back, a woman I was dating lived up on Beachwood Drive right below the sign.
I drove through the old Hollywoodland gate to get to her house.
Could look up at the sign from her living room.
Nice view.

Oliver,
Re: random videos - you do not want to overdo it.
This could be come very annoying quickly.
But, the JW Player enables playing random videos.
I have not seen any transparent advertising players which have a random video feature.
They are using a specific message to drive traffic to a specific goal.
Random videos are essentially just another advertising pop-up.
And just as annoying.
Note that an ad server such as OpenX can easily deliver many random video pop-ups.
If advertising is the goal, that would be a better tool.
Frankly, advertising on a corporate website is a good way to drive people away quickly.

Re: player control
Hiding a player DIV triggered by event requires JavaScript interaction with the player.
End of the video is such an event.
Clicking on the Stop button is such an event.
The player needs to make these events available through it's JavaScript API.
Then there is a JavaScript listener waiting for one of these events.
Such as, the listener hears the end-of-video event and removes the player DIV from the page.
Or, the listener hears the stop-button-clicked event and removes the player DIV from the page.
The player alone cannot control the DIV on the page.
The player and the JavaScript must talk to each other.

Play-once requires setting a cookie with JavaScript.
And then that cookie is checked first before embedding the player.

I have seen some cases where the player DIV is simply hidden, but not removed.
For example the DIV is pushed to the left off the visible page.
But better to remove it completely.

All of this requires JavaScript, and a player which has the API events.
My beginner-level JavaScript skills do not enable me to build any of this from scratch.
Therefore I am limited to modifying things I have found to make them work.
That can be difficult and time consuming.

:)
██ LibreTraining

eversys
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by eversys » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:17 pm

Random videos
OK, point taken... random videos might be annoying to some - then it is better to leave it :'( !

Player control
Would be nice to get the DIV/video to disappear (or even get moved somewhere to an unimportant part of the screen). Have been doing a little research and come across the following posts at LongTail: Unload the player, Cleanly remove media player from document tree and unload a video. However, I have no idea how to implement. Any good?
kenmcd wrote:My beginner-level JavaScript skills
are 100% better than mine ;)

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:18 pm

Oliver,

That first link had me laughing. So simple.
SWFObject is used to insert the DIV.
So it makes sense that it can used to remove the DIV.
That is not on the main SWFObject doc page . . .

The third link along with that swfobject-remove code may be what we are looking for.
That example is using a listener to listen for the player state of complete, and then doing something.
So that something to do may be the swfobject-remove.

I am going to be in and out today.
So I will play with it later.

If you can please find some more examples like that one.
Listener, player state complete, etc.

The solution may be as easy as adding a few lines to the transparent player code in AVR.
8)
██ LibreTraining

eversys
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by eversys » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:58 pm

kenmcd wrote:.If you can please find some more examples like that one. Listener, player state complete, etc..
I've done some research and come up with several other links which might be helpful: Listening to the playback state, Trigger Javascript when video completes and Redirect to another URL ... - any good?

The question is, how to build the code in and where? I've played with incorporating bits within the AVR player code, but no luck. Ken, would be great if you could play (with your 100% better javascript skills than mine) and post me your code. Many thanks and good luck ;)

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:05 pm

Oliver,

Thanks for the additional links.
With those and a few other examples I have found I now have a better understanding of what is required.
It is a bit more complicated than I originally thought.
But isn't that always the case?

I now have it working on a plain HTML test page.
At the end of the video, SWFObject removes the entire player DIV.

So now I am going to try putting it into the JW Player Transparent player code.
It should work.

██ LibreTraining

eversys
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by eversys » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Great news Ken - and good luck. I look forward to your positive results! I've played, but as of yet not got it working.

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:53 pm

Cannot get it to work in AVR.
Works fine on a plain HTML page.

Been at it for hours and tired of it.
Someone else needs to look at this.

██ LibreTraining

eversys
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by eversys » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Bit of a nightmare hey Ken - so close but yet so far! Regardless, thanks for your tremendous help here. I will continue to research and let you know. Would you mind posting the html code which you managed to get working.

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:37 am

Here ya go Oliver . . .
Delete_Player_test3.html.zip
You will need to modify the locations of:
- swfobject.js
- file:../media_file_name.flv
- jwplayer-4.3.132.swf

The player ID is player1
The listener waits for the completed state and then fires the SWFObject remove on that ID.
Works as expected.

Cannot get it to fire in AVR player code.
The player ID appears to be right, but nothing happens when the video ends.
Tried it in the player code at the end, at the beginning.
Tried it in a separate .js file.
No go.

Here is the HTML code of that attached file for anyone to take a look.

<html>
<head>
<title>Delete Player on complete - Test 3</title>

<script type="text/javascript" src="swfobject/swfobject.js"></script>

</head>

<body>

<p>Delete Player on completion of the video - Delete_Player_test3.html<br>
Checking the ModelListener "State" and Removing the player DIV after playing.<br>
(Refresh the page to start again.)</p>

<script type="text/javascript">
var flashvars = {
// FILE PROPERTIES //
file:"../videos/Singing-Dog.flv",  // Local FLV
//skin:"skins/five",                 // location of a SWF skin file with the player graphics
frontcolor:"86C29D",               // text & icons                  (green)
backcolor:"003367",                // playlist background           (blue)
lightcolor:"C286BA",               // selected text/track highlight (red)
screencolor:"EEEEEE",              // screen background             (default black)
// BEHAVIOR //
autostart:"true"
};
var params = {
allowfullscreen:"true",
allowscriptaccess:"always",
bgcolor:"#FFFFFF",
wmode:"window"
};
var attributes =
{
id:"player1",
name:"player1"
};
swfobject.embedSWF("players/player-4.3.132.swf", "placeholder1", "640", "385", "9.0.124", false, flashvars, params, attributes);
</script>
<div id="placeholder1">
	<a href="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer">Get flash</a> to see this player	
</div>
var player = null;
function playerReady(thePlayer) {
	player = document.getElementById(thePlayer.id);
	addListeners();
}
function addListeners() {
	if (player) { 
		player.addModelListener("STATE", "stateListener");
	} else {
		setTimeout("addListeners()",100);
	}
}
function stateListener(obj) {
	if (obj.newstate == "COMPLETED") {
		  swfobject.removeSWF("player1"); 
	}
}
</script>
<p>text below the player</p>

</body>
</html>

Here is the code I was adding to the transparent player code:

var player = null;
function playerReady(thePlayer) {
  player = document.getElementById(thePlayer.id);
  addListeners();
}
function addListeners() {
  if (player) { 
    player.addModelListener("STATE", "stateListener");
  } else {
    setTimeout("addListeners()",100);
  }
}
function stateListener(obj) {
  if (obj.newstate == "COMPLETED") {
    swfobject.removeSWF("p_@DIVID@"); 
  }
}
</script>
I did realize that the floating player which uses the floating DIV JavaScript would possibly not work because that script is controlling the DIV.
But I also tested with the player DIV within the article (no other .js), and that does not work either.

Need someone with more JavaScript experience who can trace what is happening (or not happening) in AVR.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
██ LibreTraining

eversys
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by eversys » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks for the code Ken. I think I am being silly... please see http://www.eversys.de/test-delete.html - I can't get it working. What am I doing wrong?

Also, another thought. How do all the other companies create their own individual flash players (like the one your borrowed)? Which product would you use to create your own custom player which could do all the things which we are trying to achieve?

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:18 pm

eversys wrote:Thanks for the code Ken. I think I am being silly... please see http://www.eversys.de/test-delete.html - I can't get it working. What am I doing wrong?
My guess is it because you are using the swfobject.js v2.0 in AVR 1.2.6.
I am testing using the swfobject.js v2.2.
You can upgrade AVR 1.2.6 by just replacing the file.
Or just point your test page link to the new version somewhere on your server.
Using this link works too:
http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/sw ... fobject.js

eversys wrote:Also, another thought. How do all the other companies create their own individual flash players (like the one your borrowed)? Which product would you use to create your own custom player which could do all the things which we are trying to achieve?
They probably use Flash Professional CS3/CS4/CS5.
You may be able to use other Flash tools like Flash Builder etc.
Maybe even the Flex SDK.
Do not know for sure.

██ LibreTraining

eversys
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by eversys » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:50 am

Perfect Ken - you're the man! Got it working with swfobject.js v2.2 - thanks.

I'll check out the flash building tools.

eversys
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by eversys » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:19 pm

As I was checking out to see what players the other sites use, I came across an interesting service they offer... showing their virtual spokesperson on a URL of your choice (i.e. your own website). Have a look at http://www.vspworldwide.com, http://www.impactspokesperson.com, http://www.websitetalkingheads.com and http://www.laserstreamvideo.com. Any ideas how they get that to work?

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:04 pm

When the spokesperson/player appears over another website, they are using an iframe to display the underlying website.
The original iAds demo link I posted works that way.
The URL actually goes to their website, and the Joomla website is displayed under the player in an iframe.
They are passing parameters to their player in the URL.
http://www.innovateads.com/iads/demo.ph ... ubmit.y=11

Notice your browser address bar shows their website address while you see the Joomla website.

Here is another example with a different website underneath:
http://www.innovateads.com/iads/demo.ph ... ubmit.y=11
:D

UPDATE: The iframe method was one I saw previously on another one of these ads.
So I assumed they were doing the same thing.
I just took a closer look at the iAds demo and it looks like they are replicating the page code and injecting their JavaScript at the bottom of the code.
Quite odd.

██ LibreTraining

eversys
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by eversys » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:56 am

Nice example Ken :laugh:

I really like the idea I would like to try this out. Should I open a new post for this or are you able to help me here? Is there a Joomla module or plugin which can do this? Any ideas?

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”