Joomla Workflow & Process Management

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
inv_it_01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla Workflow & Process Management

Post by inv_it_01 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:32 pm

I am new to Joomla and just wonder if there is a way to do a workflow & process management kind of application in here.

For example, there are 3 level of users: client, admin and super admin. There are steps (let say 10 steps) that client and admin have to go through. Each step requires filling out form, upload file, submit, approve... in order to move forward to next step.

I don't know if Joomla has the ability to do this or require certain module. And if so, what module?

Any help is great.

Thanks!!

dam-man
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Joomla Workflow & Process Management

Post by dam-man » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Maybe, you need a component like Docman? (document manager)
Robert Dam - Joomla Forum Moderator
Dutch Boards | Joomla Coding Boards | English Support Boards

inv_it_01
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by inv_it_01 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:50 pm

I just looked at the features of Docman but it does not have process management in it. It's good to have all the features around file management but I like to have the one that can tight the files/web-based form into a process (or step).

Any more suggestion?

dam-man
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by dam-man » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:39 am

Topic moved to Joomla! 1.5.x Extentions - Components
Robert Dam - Joomla Forum Moderator
Dutch Boards | Joomla Coding Boards | English Support Boards

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:55 am

look at article factory manager:
http://www.thefactory.ro/free-joomla-ex ... nager.html

Other possibilities:

jFactory Article Factory Manager
http://www.thefactory.ro/free-joomla-ex ... nager.html

Admin User-Access:
http://www.joomlapi.com/admin-user-access/

oWorkflows:
http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

oWorkflows is a multi-user workflow validation extension. I am not sure if it involves any hacks--I haven't tried it. It's in a beta release but free. Works with MBT_GROUP (the ReMository group manager), GMAccess (ACL Hack v2 and v3), DocMan groups, JUGA (Joomla User Group Access), Joomla native groups And JACL additional groups.

Workflow functions are closely tied to ACL functions, so take a look at ACL extensions. See the lists and discussions in this post (and check the rest of the thread too) -- viewtopic.php?f=39&t=275036&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p1343835

alpmuniz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alpmuniz » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Hi! Have you already find the solution for the process management? Im looking for the same thing.

jbeall
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbeall » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:48 pm

inv_it_01 wrote:I am new to Joomla and just wonder if there is a way to do a workflow & process management kind of application in here.

For example, there are 3 level of users: client, admin and super admin. There are steps (let say 10 steps) that client and admin have to go through. Each step requires filling out form, upload file, submit, approve... in order to move forward to next step.

I don't know if Joomla has the ability to do this or require certain module. And if so, what module?

Any help is great.

Thanks!!
Did you ever find anything on this? I've been looking for something similar. I posted about this here. Looks like Fatica's extensions will work for the differencing, but I'm not sure if they'll integrate with a CCK-type module like ZOO or K2.

lightningbit
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lightningbit » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:12 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for something similar, this would be the process I need to implement :

1/ personA logs into joomla and completes a small request form with some company data, including a contact mailadres)
2/ upon submit, a link to this this record is send to personB
3/ personB logs into joomla, and in a slightly different form, needs to approve or deny (and give a reason)
4a/ upon submit if approved, a login (like a registration invitation?) should be created, and send to personC (which is that contact mailaddress entered in step 1)
4b/ that company logs in to joomla, and should be forced to complete a new form with e.g. 20 fields (before he can do anything else on de site)
4c/ upon submit, a note is send to personA and personB (and personC if needed) and the client gets access to the rest of the site

5a/ if after step 3, the request is dissaproved, a note with the reason should be send back to personA

-end-

it seems simple, but I'm not a PHP wizard....

it also would come down to 3 types of users :
- the client
- internal requestor
- internal approver
but none of them should become a backend admin

I was thinking of doing the forms-part with chronoforms, but I'm still not sure how I can tie the steps together

could community builder be an option?

I would appreciate any suggestions/advice/comments

anyone in Belgium who sees this as something he/she can custom develop within joomla, let me know (make me an offer) :) (offers will seriously be considered)

L.

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:00 pm

Joomla is a bad choice for building custom workflows at this point. This sounds like a simple CRM interface that you want, so why do you need Joomla at all?

If you want a CMS that can be made into a CRM of sorts, use Drupal. Add in civiCRM if you want to get really sophisticated features...and a lot of bloat.

Otherwise just use a standalone CRM that can be integrated with Joomla, if you need the integration.

Yes, you could do what you are describing with CB and a custom form extension, but unless that form output can be fed into CB or a new user account invitation extension (without any custom coding), person B (the internal approver) would have to take the new referral contact info for person C and manually paste it into CB's user manager--or better, an invitation extension--to contact person C, the prospective client. Person B, the internal approver, would also have to manually contact person A (the referral source) to tell them the contact has been made or rejected.

I may be unaware of some tricks and extensions to do this better, but to fully automate the notifications in this chain of events would most likely require some custom code development. Joomla does not provide you with a user-level interface for triggering things like notifications when certain events occur. Drupal does this very well. But a CRM may be the best tool for the job. Think about your future needs and what you may want to do with this system down the road.

lightningbit
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lightningbit » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:57 pm

dpk wrote:Joomla is a bad choice for building custom workflows at this point. This sounds like a simple CRM interface that you want, so why do you need Joomla at all?

If you want a CMS that can be made into a CRM of sorts, use Drupal. Add in civiCRM if you want to get really sophisticated features...and a lot of bloat.

Otherwise just use a standalone CRM that can be integrated with Joomla, if you need the integration.

Yes, you could do what you are describing with CB and a custom form extension, but unless that form output can be fed into CB or a new user account invitation extension (without any custom coding), person B (the internal approver) would have to take the new referral contact info for person C and manually paste it into CB's user manager--or better, an invitation extension--to contact person C, the prospective client. Person B, the internal approver, would also have to manually contact person A (the referral source) to tell them the contact has been made or rejected.

I may be unaware of some tricks and extensions to do this better, but to fully automate the notifications in this chain of events would most likely require some custom code development. Joomla does not provide you with a user-level interface for triggering things like notifications when certain events occur. Drupal does this very well. But a CRM may be the best tool for the job. Think about your future needs and what you may want to do with this system down the road.
hmm I didn't think of civiCRM ... I was thinking of vtiger, but the enduser part would not go well in there, as the "user portal" does not allow a customer to update his/her own data (as far as I know) ....
so if civiCRM offers a 'client' portal ... that may be it, having a CRM addition at the backend may be good for the future also

the reason why I wanted to base on Joomla, is because there is a chance they want to expand their website in the future with typical needs, covered by joomla (and I've made a choice for joomla as a bases for most my website development ... better to know 1 product good, then 5 products for 1/5th ...)
but if it proves to be too difficult, I may look at drupal (and engage with a drupal wizzie)

Thanks, I appreciate your advice !

soulroll
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by soulroll » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:06 am

Anyone found something that can do the above mentioned workflow process? really need one too.
PLEASE reply.

Thanks

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:50 pm

Did you not read the answers given?

Different combinations of existing extensions (CB, a CCK or forms extension) for Joomla 1.5 could do this work. Joomla 1.6 may make it easier, but Drupal or a CRM might be a better choice.

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:20 am

There is some nice Joomla integrations with SugarCRM too if you are happy what SugarCRM can deliver. You need to add extra profile groups to CB or Jomsocial too.

Sugar also have a lot of extra extensions.
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

sneakyimp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by sneakyimp » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:43 pm

Props to dam-man, dpk and darb in this thread. Very useful info.

I'm currently developing a proposal for a clinical study and their needs really sound like workflow rather than CMS, but the guy is apparently fascinated with Joomla.
make multiplayer flash games: http://flashmog.net

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:22 am

If you are interested about Joomla admin you can test this http://www.cmsfruit.com/extensions/joom ... rator.html

JAdmin the ultimate Joomla administrator
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

Milesonl
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Milesonl » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:05 pm

I recommend you use a BPM Suite like Bizagi (www.bizagi.com).

It is not open-source, but it is inexpensive.

It has worked fine for me. Easy to use and implement. Great to control process execution.

There is a document on how to integrate with Joomla.
http://wiki.bizagi.com/en/index.php?tit ... th_Joomla!

Miles

bash_ban
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bash_ban » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:07 pm

I was searching for the same. I wanted to create a simple workflow BPM for my joomla site. The requirement is, user submits a request with some fields in a form and with an attachement of invoice/bill, his manager can approve or reject. once manager approves it, it goes to director for final approval / rejection.

I know Joomla is not a BPM tool. But thought of checking is there any extension support such a functionality by dealing with forms creation, access to specific users, approval and workflow states, etc. Just thought of giving a final try before I switch to exploring different tools for this.

Many thanks in Advance folks!

TeamTime-Info
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by TeamTime-Info » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:26 pm

TeamTime BPM has basic functionality to design and run process. It is similar to IBM BlueworksLive, but also has ABC-cost, time tracking, reports, invoicing etc. Presentation is available at: http://www.teamtime.info

FonsiDS
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by FonsiDS » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:51 am

ProcessMaker

ProcessMaker is a open source business process management (BPM) or workflow software application.

http://www.processmaker.com/

Good Luck!

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”