J!1.5 IDE

tekcronic
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

J!1.5 IDE

Post by tekcronic » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:09 am

Ok I have seen several things come up on this subject and was unable to determine which would be best to use to make the most of Joomla and it's plug-ins.

I personally have found that using Aptana is nice but I am still needing to have the Joomla framework load and references made to "what does what?" and "what is what?"

I know there are a few scripts I could create to automate the skeleton of a plug-in but then copying a folder is the same thing and I think it can be better. Aptana aside, I really just want a Joomla IDE, and I don't want a dated library, I want full J1.5 compatibility. Though I must admit there seems like I am just missing something, but as far as I can tell most of the IDE projects have been abandoned. Again I may be wrong but I am not seeing anything updated on any of it for months.
Last edited by tekcronic on Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: J!1.5 IDE

Post by Rogue4ngel » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:08 am

We did delve into Eclipse.

Here's some info if you haven't read it yet. Might help.

http://dev.joomla.org/component/option, ... nners:ide/
If you're not a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem.

tekcronic
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tekcronic » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:28 pm

I did read that and it is helpful for setting up eclipse. I use Aptana and really am not that familiar with the eclipse interface.

I am aware of the Aptana plug-in for eclipse. I am not seeing how to load the Joomla API into either, which is what I am wanting to do. So when I am type something it pop-ups any matches for classes functions and what ever.

what I want is that if I type "j" into the source

Then I would get a pop-up saying :

Code: Select all

JPlugin
JPluginHelper
JTemplate
JButton
JButtonConfirm
JButtonCustom
JButtonHelp
JButtonLink
JButtonPopup
JButtonSeparator
JButtonStandard
JEditor
JHTML
JHTMLBehavior
JHTMLEmail
JHTMLForm
JHTMLGrid
JHTMLImage
JHTMLList
JHTMLMenu
JHTMLSelect
JPagination
JPaginationObject
JPane
JPaneSliders
JPaneTabs
JToolBar
so forth and so on

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rogue4ngel » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:03 am

I'm not sure there is an easy way to do that.

There was talk of J!Code last year, but I'm not sure it has moved along as of yet. (See here)

This is to be a Joomla specific plugin for eclipse. Again, I'm not sure where it ended up, or if there has been any progress to date.

tekcronic
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tekcronic » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:24 am

Yes there was talk of it and in fact thanks to Andy Miller* it was implemented and can be found at the following link. The only thing I am concerned with is say the package called joomla-jcode-1.0.0.20061212.tar.gz it seems to be the linux package from December 12, 2006, which is outdated in my opinion. Though I have requested to join the project I may just pick-up what he did and completely redo and rename it. I wonder how many would help or what is needed to do.

http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/jcode/frs/

* The other J!code Devs
[list]Louis Landry
Andrew Eddie
Ian MacLennan
Laurens Vandeput
Philippe Ombredanne
Gary Paige
Muhammad Fuad[/list]

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rogue4ngel » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:22 am

I'll have to grab it and give it a run. It would definitely be fun to try, and I need to reinstall eclipse anyway, so why not.

tekcronic
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tekcronic » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:10 am

So have you had any luck? what do you see as pro vs cons?

madsamurai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by madsamurai » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:25 am

Just getting into this myself, here. I have easyEclipsePHP with the aptana plugin as well. I downloaded the jcode installer file (mac ver) above, but it's a full easyEclipse install... anyone know if it can be installed as a plugin to my existing eclipse install? I've already gone thru the hoops of installing a number of plugins on my existing installation and would hate to have to go thru all that again...

Update: found the org.joomla.eclipse.joomlaextension_1.0.0.jar link in another post... I guess that's what I was looking for (I'm new at this whole eclipse thing), tho it seems awfully old, at least 6 months according to the date on the post. Am I safe to trust this for developing extensions for the current release (1.5.2)?

madsamurai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by madsamurai » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:54 pm

so I've been fumbling my way thru trying to create joomla components in eclipse with the eclipse plugin, and I keep hitting problems... maybe I'm going about this the wrong way.

I have components I've already been developing, and I was building them within the context of a joomla install so I can easily test changes just by looking at the site (the components I'm working on aren't really intended for distribution at this point, just custom needs for specific sites). But also I have some new ones I'm starting, and thought I'd try to use the joomla project wizards in eclipse to build installable components "the right way".

so I'm trying two different ways of setting up projects in eclipse. First by creating a new generic project that points to the installed component folder of the in-progress ones, and second by using the 'New Joomla MVC Component Project' wizard. Either way, I can't seem to use the 'New Joomla! Model/Controller/View' wizards... I get an error "Controller must be inside site or administrator folder." The only way I've seen a 'site' folder is if I use the 'New Joomla Component Project' to start out, but that doesn't do all the nice folder/files prebuild that the MVC one does (which I like very much, nice time-saver). I've tried renaming the 'components' folder to 'site' in the MVC setup, but it still doesn't work. Do I have to create a new controller first before I can create a view, perhaps? In most cases I don't need individual controllers for every view.

Thanks,
Chad

Update----

I found the post in another thread where this all is explained a bit more. Apparently there are more files to install than just the org.joomla.eclipse.joomlaextension_1.0.0.jar file... and there are also some docs. I found everything is available here: http://www.kleq.web.ugm.ac.id/images/joomlaeclipse/ , tho again, it all seems pretty old and I don't know if the fella that built it is still working on it.

I'm not sure how much difference there is between the JCode! standalone package and this JEclipse plugin. One thing I did discover this weekend is there are some eclipse plugins that won't work with JCode or easyEclipse. In particular, FlexBuilder won't install on either, and Aptana requires some force... the plugin/features/etc folders in the easyEclipse package are write protected and have to have their permissions changed before you can install much of anything, and flexbuilder requires you point it to the root eclipse folder, which in the case of easyPHP is within the package. I tried working around that by creating a symbolic link and moving it outside the package, but it still failed.

After installing/uninstalling easyEclipse, JCode!, and Aptana Studio and finding them all unable to do one thing or another, I eventually went with a regular Eclipse 3.2 install, PHPEclipse, JEclipse, and Aptana plugin (and Flex builder, tho that doesn't really have any relevance here). I'm also working on a flex/air project and wanted to have everything all in one app, rather than separate eclipse/easyEclipse installs for different environments.

Another update ------- (sorry for the long post ;) )

I figured out a way to work on the pre-existing components within a joomla install and get all the wizard funcions as well. Create a 'New Joomla Component Project' named the same as your component (ie, if com_mycomponent, call it 'mycomponent') and store it in the default directory or wherever. Then in your site structure, make a symbolic link of your existing components/com_mycomponent folder. Move that symbolic link (alias might work too, but didn't try it) into the workspace folder where your eclipse project site folder is. Delete the site folder and rename your symbolic link to 'site' (replacing the site folder with the symbolic link to your actual component folder). Then refresh your project in eclipse. Do the same for the administrator component, replacing the 'administrator' folder in the workspace with the administrator/components/com_mycomponent symbolic link.

This not only allows using the wizards to pre-build files for controllers/models/views, but also will give you the 'Regenerate Component Descriptor' functionality to automagically update your xml file.

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rogue4ngel » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:31 pm

very nice... never too long when you're posting some great information!

madsamurai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by madsamurai » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:21 pm

The link in my above post is not really the one to use. There's a more recent plugin with better wizards that Ian has been working on at http://www.ianmaclennan.org/jeclipse/or ... _1.0.0.jar which is just a single-file install based on PHPEclipse.

-chad

bohn002
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by bohn002 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:01 pm

alright cant figure out how to install this plugin,
downloaded and unpacked it into my eclipse 3.2 plugin directory. did eclipse -clean in terminal and still can find joomla in my new project stuff.
remember pillage...then burn.

madsamurai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by madsamurai » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:55 am

bohn002 wrote:alright cant figure out how to install this plugin,
downloaded and unpacked it into my eclipse 3.2 plugin directory. did eclipse -clean in terminal and still can find joomla in my new project stuff.
put just the org.joomla.eclipse.joomlaextension_1.0.0.jar file into your plugins folder (not within a folder or anything). Once you've done that launch eclipse and add a new perspective (the icon for that is in the very top right corner, little blue/white 'window' with a yellow plus sign). If you don't see it on the list click 'other' and it will show a list of all the possible perspectives, and Joomla should show up there. Once you're in the joomla perspective, the wizards should show up whenever you right-click in the navigator window, or do file/new in the main menu, etc.

deepthoughts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deepthoughts » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:15 pm

madsamurai wrote:put just the org.joomla.eclipse.joomlaextension_1.0.0.jar file into your plugins folder (not within a folder or anything). Once you've done that launch eclipse and add a new perspective (the icon for that is in the very top right corner, little blue/white 'window' with a yellow plus sign). If you don't see it on the list click 'other' and it will show a list of all the possible perspectives, and Joomla should show up there. Once you're in the joomla perspective, the wizards should show up whenever you right-click in the navigator window, or do file/new in the main menu, etc.
Hi, I'm also having troubles getting this to work. I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 and I put the file in /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins and change the permissions to match the other plugins (updates really) since they work. But when I try to add a new perspective I don't have Joomla as an option. I've also tried to manually unpack the file (to match the other installed plugins) but that doesn't help either.

Any tips on how to get this to work?
Stefan Nitsche
stefan_at_nitsche_dot_se

meejoo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by meejoo » Tue May 06, 2008 12:23 am

I am not an expert, but do you have the PHPEclipse extension installed? (Mad Samurai wrote about that. (thx btw.))
If yes, then i have no idea, why you can't start joomla perspective.
But, if not - maybe, it could be the reason.

deepthoughts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deepthoughts » Tue May 06, 2008 8:53 am

meejoo wrote:I am not an expert, but do you have the PHPEclipse extension installed? (Mad Samurai wrote about that. (thx btw.))
If yes, then i have no idea, why you can't start joomla perspective.
But, if not - maybe, it could be the reason.
Many thanks. You were correct. Installing PHPEclipse solved the issue.

I apparently missed the part about PHPEclipse was needed, maybe this should teach me not start with this kind of things in the middle of the night.
Stefan Nitsche
stefan_at_nitsche_dot_se

Return to “Joombie Tools of the Trade”