Advice on extensions to use for company site

mcgyvr
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Advice on extensions to use for company site

Post by mcgyvr » Tue May 27, 2008 3:14 pm

Just looking for advice on extensions to use with joomla and how to go at it to get started.

I am looking into using Joomla for our new company website. The site will basically be a catalog of many products with lots of custom fields for product specifications/links to product manuals and drawings and possible 3d cad models.

However we also want the ability to have people select a few products and do want we call a "request for quote" where the click a few items and fill out personal information and then an email gets sent to us to email them back a quotation. Typically our customers choose 1 or multiple products to get a quotation on.

My first thought was that I might just use virtualmart extension but use the shopping cart for this "request for quote" functionality instead of them being able to purchase it.

Sound like a good idea? or are there other extensions that might be better suited for my application or is custom programming required.

This is our existing site showing similar functionality http://www.trimminc.com/products/ovfuse.html where they can click "request a quote" which sends them to a form where they can either fill it our then and email us just one item or continue browsing the site adding products to this form as they go.

wolfix
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Advice on extensions to use for company site

Post by wolfix » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:15 pm

I use VirtueMart and my guess is that it can handle your requirements. My first thought is to configure one of the Payment options as a 'Request Quote' option. Don't know how VM will act if the product has no price, may be fine; you really need to test it out to make certain.

There's also a new Shopping System, Freeway, that may work for you.

The only way to know is test.

Best,

wolfix

Return to “Joombie Tools of the Trade”