Out of date "Welcome - Please Read" Instructions?

dextercowley
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Out of date "Welcome - Please Read" Instructions?

Post by dextercowley » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:26 pm

Hi. I have just gone through the process of trying to get Eclipse for PHP set up for Joomla! development on my Windows PC. I tried to follow the instructions in the sticky post "Welcome - Please Read". These instructions appear to have been update in Oct 2007, and they now seem to be out of date.

I had several issues trying to follow them. (1) The link to Eclipse was broken. (2) The latest stable Eclipse for PHP is 3.3 and it already has XDebug included. (I think the instructions assume an earlier Eclipse version.) So when you install the XDebug Eclipse plugin, as instructed, it breaks the Eclipse PHP debugger. (3) The link for Subversion is out of date. (4) The version of XDebug is out of date.

In short, this article needs to be revised. Also, it seems it should also be moved to the Wiki. (It now sits on the old developer site.) Since I've just been through this process, I'd be happy to take a stab at updating it, at least for Windows. But I would need just a little help from a more experienced Joomla! developer to make sure I don't get something important wrong.

Please let me know if this makes sense and if someone is willing to work with me on this. Thanks. Mark
Mark Dexter
"Well...how did I get here?"

qqwwong
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Out of date "Welcome - Please Read" Instructions?

Post by qqwwong » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:19 pm

Hi, dextercowley,

I agree with you very much. It'll be very useful to add these instructions to the Wiki.

I followed the instructions to install the IDE without success several weeks ago. I think your hints will be very helpful. meanwhile, it will be good if you can write up some instructions based on your fresh experience and post them here.

Wai

dextercowley
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Out of date "Welcome - Please Read" Instructions?

Post by dextercowley » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:55 pm

Hi. I should have posted this a while ago, but here are the updated instructions: http://docs.joomla.org/Setting_up_your_ ... evelopment Hope this helps. Mark
Mark Dexter
"Well...how did I get here?"

Return to “Joombie Tools of the Trade”