Joomla People Interested in Joint Efforts

pvh123
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Joomla People Interested in Joint Efforts

Post by pvh123 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:15 am

Wow, jalil do not cry  ;). Your interpretation of my words is a lot heavier than my post intended. In the first place I am not a Joomla dev but regard myself part of the Joomla community in its wider form. So, do not get yourselves all worked up here.

I merely meant that the Joomla product/concept should be in the heart of this new coding community and that is what you want as well, understanding your words right.

Ok, a Joomla coding community is a good idea. When can I start? Whos has a 1.0 extension laying and waiting to be converted to 1.5. Bring it on.
Note: Sending me private messages for personal support, without this been requested, would lead to ignoring any of your posts in future!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:09 pm

jalil wrote:
pvh123 wrote: On the other hand, as louis mentioned, one has to be careful not to setup ANOTHER Joomla community if you get my drift.
This sir, i'm afraid, you just cannot stop. It has already happened.
The sole prupose we came together here *is* to form another community, focused on coding.
jalil -

You absolutely took Pieter's statements the wrong way. Since you are new to the J! world, I have a couple of ideas for you.

First of all, I am very impressed with the membership of our little group. This is looking like a very positive and productive group of people. So, you can be certain that things said are intended as positive ideas. I'll personally vouch for Pieter. I don't think we have a nicer forum member.

Secondly, there are a few of us who have had it with negativity. So, if someone does really cause trouble, it won't last long.  ;) We *want* this group to be FUN and we want to LEARN and CONTRIBUTE. That means people need to be nice. Learning is hard and making mistakes can be embarrassing and we will make mistakes. So, having a friendly learning environment is critical. We should personally commit to making certain we are willing to give one another every accommodation possible - and talk through PM if we are worried about something said.

Now, regarding Pieter's comment about "another Joomla! community." He is right. We *are* home here in the Joomla! forums. And, I would want to be no other place than here where my other community members are - people who I know will help us. You probably saw Louis post in to tjay's topic. Do you realize that Louis is one of our lead developers? If we are attempting to learn Joomla! development - hey - having Louis post in and watch out over us *is* what we want.

That doesn't mean we won't use other communication mediums in our work, but, this should be home base. Then, others can join in if they want.

We are going to become a mini community - our own community, as you say. So, step one is learning to trust one another and realizing we will all have to make minor adjustments so that this works for the group. In doing so, we become a group - a community, as you say. So, each of us need to decide if we really want to learn Joomla!, then commit to it or decide otherwise. But, if we proceed, let's each do everything we can to make certain it is fun and productive for our team members.

OK - so, we have two things so far - consider and respond to tjay's initial A few questions to kick it off and also Tim (Rogue4ngel) has started a great Building the Ship topic.

I am very excited about this - and jalil - thanks, again, for knowing this would be helpful. AND, to the forum group for responding to quickly and with such support. WOW!
Amy :)

pvh123
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pvh123 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:24 pm

@Amy Thanks for the support. You are too nice and I am sure jalil will understand.
Note: Sending me private messages for personal support, without this been requested, would lead to ignoring any of your posts in future!

tjay
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by tjay » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:27 pm

One thing for sure, we should have fun doing this. We are also going to require the help of others else we would not be here.
To me the closer we stay to the J nest the better.
If folks harbor some issue with working this close to the joomla network it might not be the place for you for sure.
That is a question you have to ask yourself. I am sure you will be respected either way.

I really do not want to be a seperate group. I have been playing with Drupal just to learn. They seem to have a very healthy group of extension developers that work very close to the core project. From what I can see very successfully. We might could learn a little from that.

The other developers choose their path, I cannot speak for everyone here but I sort of got the feeling this was very much going to be closely associated with, blessed by, guided by, nurtured by the Joomla team.
This makes me happy ;D
This day it is my wish that I helped you to live

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:32 pm

I'd be interested in joining the effort (depending on the projects)...

I just need to finish pageCache 2.0...
Anthony Ferrara - Core Team - Development Coordinator - Bug Squad - JSST

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...
http://www.joomlaperformance.com For All Your Joomla Performance Needs

uberlandia

Post by uberlandia » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:33 am

I thought I was a good php programmer until I found Joomla!  :)

I am happy with the support given to the iniciative of building this bridge from "php hacks" to "MVC Joomla 1.5 framework developers", and I want to be one of those who will walk through this bridge.

I´d like to know if there is already a thread with the listing of the TOOLS to use...

From Notepad I went to EditPad, and then Dreamweaver, to edit my php code. "Delphi for PHP" sounded nice to my ears, since I was one of the first Delphi programmers here in Brazil (year 1996). But the fact is that I don´t know where to put my feet next step: Zend Studio? Eclipse? Maguma? (etc.)

MAY EVERYONE BE VERY HAPPY!  Health is Happyness.  :)

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rogue4ngel » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:54 am

We're currently in the process of coming up with a common IDE to use.  A few have been put out there, and there has been some discusson as to what we should go with, you'll find here: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,199149.0.html

A discussion thread should be coming up in the next few days to finally make a decision on our initial tool(s) that we will be using.
If you're not a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:45 am

uberlandia -

Read your profile and I certainly hope you are able to find time to work with us! What great skills. You would be a real good addition for our group. Thanks much for joining in!

Amy :)

jalil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jalil » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:53 am

AmyStephen wrote: jalil -

You absolutely took Pieter's statements the wrong way.
perhaps.
i was happily going to build another joomla community, outside of joomla, but connected or attached to joomla. So that remark by Peiter, Capitalised, is a perhaps a little offending. That community which i'm nesting would so of course i viewed the remark as negative. Surely i cannot be blamed for that.

i had a good thought about all this for a few days. The 101 went on too quick without much prior discussion and sort of took of in the way not quite what i had in mind, but useful nevertheless. There is more more space left out.

See what i'm trying to do is to bring professional developers (non-joomla) into the Joomla effort. These people will be happily designing components/modules and plgins for their own use, and they would i think give out those that they build ing the good spirit of open source. Some may go commercial, but i beilieve i could stil get them to do some free open source stuff.

That was the plan. but for them to come in a strong way, and with the little extra time they have, i needed a place for people ( for myself and for the profesionals mentioned ) to ask questions and get quick answers.

What i would do now is, 101 or not, i would pose questions here, beginners and advanced alike, even way out philosophical questions, as i believe that it of the interest of some members. Even if a person is a newbie programmer, these pholisophical discussions may provide the programmer deeper insight into his interest and visions.

so i think, since there is no real issues at hand, only a matter of which direction one takes, and since the fun is actually in doing and participating, what i've decided to do is to participate at the level i want to participate, help out people who want help, and look for advice from the experienced programmers to find some answers.

so i'm happy, yes. my only complain would be the lack of choice of food and beverages.   :pop
( meaning only pop corn, but please dont put all of them in animation as a menu...that would be too distractive i think )
Last edited by jalil on Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rogue4ngel » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:40 am

jalil,

You were definitely the reason that this initiative got it's start, so you should be proud that you were able to have such a positive affect on this community.

Do not worry, I believe what you are looking for is something that will come from this.  Even if it is not 'outside' of the community, you want to draw poeple in that come here, where a community outside might not get the exposure you would like.

There are serveral professional developers who have expressed interest in the project, and we have the ear of the Joomla developers as well who are also very intersted to see this come about.

Yes, it was a fast start, but it was time the community had some positive movement, and this much needed, as you pointed out.

Perhaps not what you planned, but I am very happy you are willing to participate.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
If you're not a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem.

jalil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jalil » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:04 pm

Rogue4ngel wrote: jalil,

You were definitely the reason that this initiative got it's start, so you should be proud that you were able to have such a positive affect on this community.

Do not worry, I believe what you are looking for is something that will come from this.  Even if it is not 'outside' of the community, you want to draw poeple in that come here, where a community outside might not get the exposure you would like.

There are serveral professional developers who have expressed interest in the project, and we have the ear of the Joomla developers as well who are also very intersted to see this come about.

Yes, it was a fast start, but it was time the community had some positive movement, and this much needed, as you pointed out.

Perhaps not what you planned, but I am very happy you are willing to participate.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
thank you for your kind words, and proud...ya well a little, but i'm more happy to see things get going.
and yes, i am plesantly surprised already.

i guess my main fear was that i am not able or find it appropriate to ask advanced questions in a 101 area and that building another joomla! community is something not desirable. i had the impression that *that* is what joomla needed, more communites to join in. i meant well for joomla!.

but i'd like to put it all this behind me and press on now, and try and fit in where possible.
(have been a misfit all my life so i have extensive experience in not fitting in). :)

i'm off to make my first lame module...heh :pop

jalil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jalil » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:07 pm

jomaco1 wrote: Although I can't contribute with code...I do have a domain and hosting I would be happy to provide for use by this project. Joomlatech.com is not currently being used for anything and already has a bridged forum set up.
hi there jomaco,1

is this offer of yours still available ? i could use a place to host my yet to be written modules. i am doing my own website, and will have it there, but as i said before, having a common place to house our newbiewares would make it a lot more attractive. i'm sure other coders would be interested too...

the forum you mentioned may be used for specific extension support, which would not be appropriate to do here, in class. i might be made to stand in a corner with a dunce cap.

it could go into joomlas extension depository. but having it at your site would mean it came from this 101 'farm'. how's that ?
Last edited by jalil on Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jomaco1
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jomaco1 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:55 pm

Hi Jalil,

The offer is permanent. Joomlatech.com was always intended to act as a home for Joomla projects that have no dedicated site of their own. As a regular user and purveyor of Joomla extensions, I found it rather frustrating to try and evaluate a product that had no dedicated support or demo site. The forge is great for use as a svn and file repository, but not so good as a forum and provides no demo capabilities. A project needs to have a "window display"...as many users will not appreciate the product simply by overlooking the "workshop".

I'll contact you via PM to get you set up on the site.

If anyone else wants to "park" their project at joomlatech.com, please feel free to PM me.

jalil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jalil » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:58 pm

jomaco1 wrote: Hi Jalil,

The offer is permanent. Joomlatech.com was always intended to act as a home for Joomla projects that have no dedicated site of their own. As a regular user and purveyor of Joomla extensions, I found it rather frustrating to try and evaluate a product that had no dedicated support or demo site. The forge is great for use as a svn and file repository, but not so good as a forum and provides no demo capabilities. A project needs to have a "window display"...as many users will not appreciate the product simply by overlooking the "workshop".

I'll contact you via PM to get you set up on the site.

If anyone else wants to "park" their project at joomlatech.com, please feel free to PM me.
nice. later though, am busy producing. will let u know later.
i like the term park. Joomlatech Project Park. sounds great.

travisdh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by travisdh » Thu May 15, 2008 6:52 am

Hello,

Id love to join the joint efforts group, for quite a few reasons one of which beaing to learn new php skills. i am a very basic beginner, most of what i learn is through reverse engineering in alot of ways. Looking at examples of how people have done things and reversing that to see how it can be applied to my requirements and as such then learn through that. Plus the benefit i have is a few dev servers (from ebay) to play around with, so its handy to be able to see what certian codes do to the actual system, and as such if they are suitable for shared web hosting on big loads.

You might see me post around the place, i am pretty new but trying to become more active in the forums as time permits. One thing i will say is that i have an interesting project at the moment, it was done for me as a modification to the Karma component, but so that it automatically generates points and assigns them to users for contributing to the community. Its not for everyone but i like the way it uses the mambots onsubmit event or maybe it was onsave. And i am keen to speak to Developers and others in the Joomla community to see if we can manage to intergrate it with many other components out there because thats what alot of people seam to want. And in doing so hopefully we can through the power of GPL make it a much better component.

Once again hello all guys, sorry for the long-winded post.
New Project coming shortly, a new management platform for the home.... powered by Joomla!, will post more information shortly and may need testers :)

jalil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jalil » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:08 pm

hi,

i'm back after a reincarnated jouney myself :) was lost in my own projects.

pm me if you need a little assitance. i'm good with 1.0 but a novice at 1.5.

Return to “Joombie Think Tank”