Extension Ideas Go Here

theLoneDeranger
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Extension Ideas Go Here

Post by theLoneDeranger » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:48 am

bascherz wrote: Hmm... php.ini is a server-wide file. Changing it affects every PHP application running on the server. This will not help people running Joomla sites on shared servers or probably anything other than a dedicated server. Most hosting companies probably don't provide access to such system resource files at all. Similar settings can be added to the .htaccess file on a per-domain basis on some hosted servers. My experience with that is by default the user account owns the .htaccess file and cannot be overwritten by a PHP script, which is often running with system-level userid (e.g., "nobody", "httpd"), without making it world-writeable. But on a home server used only for testing, this might be a handy little trick.
Sorry Bruce, I'd have to disagree here. You are right that basically THE php.ini is a server-wide file. But you can override the master php.ini by a local one. It may also be dependent on hoster config if you can set certain php_flags/directives (register globals, display errors) in your .htaccess. The script/link provided by recordbreaker is suitable for those at a hoster that won't change their php.ini AND that won't allow these things to be set in htaccess.

The only thing to keep in mind is that if you do take the approach of having a local php.ini, it MUST reside in every directory and subdirectory of your site. And naturally some extensions or bridged apps might create directories on the fly, as needed... i.e. Gallery2, whenever you create a new album (subalbum). At that point you have a directory without the local php.ini = meaning i.e. Register Globals is set back to the undesired default as set by the hoster.

What I did here was simply put the script in a crontab so that it is rerun every x minutes/hours. Not the best solution, but until we've moved the site to a more Joomla friendly host, it will have to do.

And for dedicated servers I'd demand that they the configure the host EXACTLY to my own preferred settings. php.ini, software versions, well just about everything. It's my server, right?
Last edited by theLoneDeranger on Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Chinese the word 'crisis' consists of two characters. One means 'danger,' the other 'opportunity.'

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:12 pm

The beauty of this project concept is that the php.ini files are such a pain for end users to grapple with.

The most serious challenge, though, to establishing php.ini directive settings with an extension is that it's too late. To use the extension, you must first install and configure Joomla!. But, before you can do that, you must set your php directives prior to installation.

The other problem that Bruce is alluding to is simply the mind boggling complexity of installations. If you have a dedicated server, life is good. Locate the php.ini file and have at it! (But, if you have a dedicated server, you either handle configurations yourself or, like Dylan suggested - certainly require it be configured for you EXACTLY as you prefer by your host.) Other than the system wide php.ini file, there are many types of configurations that could be faced - there could be virtual hosts, .htaccess files or the "php.ini per executable folder", typically selected in that order of preference. Apache settings will dictate whether or not those options are even available. (Unless you use IIS.) Tricky, tricky stuff.

RussW has a Joomla! Health, Installation, Security Audit (HISA) tool that is used PRIOR to the install. This type of proposed capability could perhaps grow from that effort, at some point. But, IMO, this is a very complicated project that will require very advanced skills found in someone who deeply understands platform issues, like Brad or RussW, and have advanced programming skill, like our developers. It certainly is well beyond my skills.

I love this project concept because it addresses a real and dire need. RecordBreaker - you should continue proposing ideas.
Amy :)

Edit - grammar.  :P
Last edited by AmyStephen on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

recordbreaker
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by recordbreaker » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:27 pm

bascherz wrote: Hmm... php.ini is a server-wide file. Changing it affects every PHP application running on the server.
But you can override php.ini on a per directory basis.  The trick here is to take a copy of the server wide version, and then add your own custom settings to it.  But if it's not going to apply to most people, maybe it's not worth making any extension for.

To add value, you could support several php.ini configurations applied to different directories.  Like an extra hardened config for certain groups of directories, and then start allowing things only when they are needed in a specific directory.

You have to do more to convince me I'm the only one who needs this.  I'm using a very large web host, I'm sure there are others like me.  Because this makes using php.ini as easy as htaccess, since you can simulate the way htaccess inherits from higher directories.  php.ini must be in every single directory and that's a pain to do manually.

In response to this being too late because it's past install.  The purpose of this would be hardening on shared hosting servers.  You can install Joomla without all the recommended green lights, and then use something like this to quickly address them on the whole application.  I agree that the functionality would be more useful if bundled with other common security hardening tools.

And lastly, wouldn't it be cool if it was set up to copy to new directories as they're created?  or at least scheduled to run daily, so that it would always keep up with the new directories made the day before.
Last edited by recordbreaker on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:01 pm

Just wanted to say, too, that there are no bad ideas - and no one requires anyone's permission to work on the project of their dreams. Sometimes, people's advice about something being difficult is good to head - many times, that advice should be ignored because it stops progress. I say if an idea for an extension is something you can really be enthusiastic about, go for it! You will stay committed and you will learn. That's what we are after.

theLoneDeranger
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by theLoneDeranger » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:17 pm

Strip mambot

One thing that bothers me is all the extra whitespaces and linebreaks in the generated html output. Visually this is not a problem at all if you stick with tables (as in default Joomla), but it is quite annoying (visually) if you have a hacked Joomla to reduce tables.

A quick solution (for just the visual part that is) is to use css margins to better align/position things.

I know osDate has such a function, but there it's in the {smarty}.

As to how bots read the page, they still read the whitespaces naturally. I don't think this is a major problem ...but it is still quite annoying.
In Chinese the word 'crisis' consists of two characters. One means 'danger,' the other 'opportunity.'

Zenoni
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Zenoni » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:51 am

There is a abandoned component (Mylinks component/module at: http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/ ) wich allow registered users to remember site's "Internal" Favourites/bookmarks. It is working like personal links backet and its functionality is very similar compared to shopping charts. The original "Mylinks" component is outdated and it is working only with "Register Globals Emulation ON" which is security risk and not reccomended by Joomla.

When I searched the component through forum I found that there are many people who are also seeking such the component.

(e.g.)

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,200834.0.html
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,200834.0.html
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,39362.0.html
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,89445.0.html
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,202705.0.html (my original post)
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,86525.0.html

I propose that somebody who is interested would continue the open source development of such a useful component. There are no alternatives of similar components available.

pvh123
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pvh123 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:31 am

Reading through the vast list, there are lot's of good things. So I want to put in my 3 cents.
Because I am into music and  make music available on my current asp website, like recorded radio boradcasts, pieces of cd tracks etc. , I have been looking for a good podcast component.
Guess what: I found one from LeBlanc and that is for J! 1.0.x

In my view the component should be able of  producing a wellknown podcast of all sort of audio types like mp3, video clips, wav files. Those files should be in a directory so that the webmaster can easily put the new files in that dir together with a textfile containing a description. A little bit like Rokslideshow does for pixies.

To give an idea what I am talking about, have a look at this:
This is no more than an ASP script with parameter driven skins, etc. Very flexible.

At the moment I am struggling, hear hear Amy, to get the existing commercial php script into a wrapper, but new ideas might produce something similar for J! 1.5

Pieter
Note: Sending me private messages for personal support, without this been requested, would lead to ignoring any of your posts in future!

mudoch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mudoch » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:00 pm

Ok hows about a classified ads module that has a front page four column front page display.... like some of the google ads do.

timothy.stiffler
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by timothy.stiffler » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:57 am

I know that there are a few of these already, but this would be a bit different, and would look nice any many cases for sites. I attached an image to show the example, but basically, I'd like to see an RSS Feed Subscriber that looks like the image  am putting here, but allow it to change the colors. Of course, there would be a different image for each color (I can handle that much) and it would be a module. In the administration module manager you would have the option of changing the Feed address, changing the color, and also adding any before/after text.

Simple, for beginners, yet something that could be valuable to different members that use Joomla!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AnotherGuy's Weblog - http://anotherguy.us/

flightsimpsycho
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by flightsimpsycho » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:08 pm

I would like to see a Automated Pirep system component and modules.

The component would  be the base logging the pilots flights and updating their logbook and pilot roster.

the modules would display the pilot roster and pirep form.

A community builder plugin could display each pilots logbook in a tab on their user profile.

I'm using joomla as my site, but all the pirep systems i've seen just don't seem to be right for use with joomla.

Pentacle
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Pentacle » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:57 pm

Dylan1968 wrote: Strip mambot

One thing that bothers me is all the extra whitespaces and linebreaks in the generated html output. Visually this is not a problem at all if you stick with tables (as in default Joomla), but it is quite annoying (visually) if you have a hacked Joomla to reduce tables.

A quick solution (for just the visual part that is) is to use css margins to better align/position things.

I know osDate has such a function, but there it's in the {smarty}.

As to how bots read the page, they still read the whitespaces naturally. I don't think this is a major problem ...but it is still quite annoying.
Dylan,

If you give some more details and it doesn't get too hard for my skill, I can take this one. But I'll definitely need help about html. So feel free to write here more about your thought or contact me using p.m.

Cheers,
Ercan.
My Joomla! 1.5 extensions - http://ercan.us
Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things.

freetemplate
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by freetemplate » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:03 am

I would like to see a Automated Pirep system component and modules too!
http://joomlatp.com :free joomla templates,free joomla themes,free joomla 1.5 templates

ewel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by ewel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:44 am

What about this, even though it may not exactly be an extension and better be implemented as a small standalone application for Joomla:

To update a Joomla installation to the latest version can be a bit of a hassle. I would like to have a little php program that zips the existing installation into a backup file, unzips the files of an update into the installation folder without overwriting customised files, and then checks all the file permissions. To avoid overwriting customised files I think as a default templates would be skipped and the configuration file should be preserved.

mhuynh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mhuynh » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:25 am

I'm pretty sure it's not done yet... but please advise me if i am wrong...

A admin control component to allocate registered USERs temparory access to the site... like the ablity to control expiry date or time for each different USERs that their user account is to expire after X-amount for days or time...

theLoneDeranger
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by theLoneDeranger » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:59 am

mhuynh wrote:I'm pretty sure it's not done yet... but please advise me if i am wrong...

A admin control component to allocate registered USERs temparory access to the site... like the ablity to control expiry date or time for each different USERs that their user account is to expire after X-amount for days or time...
With AEC (Account Expiration Control) you can have various memberships/subscription plans. Paid, free, time-limited. You can also define a trial period for the subscription plan. For ACL combine it with i.e. JACLPlus or other ACL components.

Return to “Joombie Think Tank”