Modules that use Web Services?

tjay
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Modules that use Web Services?

Post by tjay » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:36 pm

So since it seems wise to try and develop a module first as opposed to jumping into a component.

Is it feasible to consider a module that uses the XML-RPC features of 1.5
Web services has always been of interest to me.
This day it is my wish that I helped you to live

seadap
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Modules that use Web Services?

Post by seadap » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:46 pm

What service would you like to use?  How about something like Amazon's or maybe something easier like the weather.  (I like the Amazon idea...)
Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway.

tjay
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by tjay » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:26 pm

I am pretty open to the source, mainly I just want to learn, and then show others how it could be done.
Do you have details on the services they offer?
This day it is my wish that I helped you to live

joatmon
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by joatmon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:56 pm

I'm not sure if  you're interested or not, but I have a module that uses NuSOAP to connect to BibleGateway.com and grabs their SOAP implementation of a verse of the day.

Link: Verse of the Day Module

At the very least you can use it for educational purposes.  Check out the SVN repository also.

--joatmon

seadap
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by seadap » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:35 pm

Sorry tjay, for not answering your question.  Amazon offers data on their products and theweatherchannel offers local weather forcasts as services.
Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:52 pm

Johan built an xmlrpc interface for Google's Blogger, sometime back. It used to be in core, but I think it's gone, now. That might be worth exploring if we can find a copy of it.

There is one xmlrpc interface I very much want to see available for Joomla! end users, and that is the Flickr Blog interface. Getting a Flickr account is free (unless you decide to push past the maximum), and you can define the location of your blog. If an xml-rpc interface is available for Joomla!, Joomla! will finally show up in the list of blogs you can interact with.

There is an API for lots of different actions, including posting an image to a blog. I do not know what it takes to get authorized (prove to Flickr) that the xmlrpc blog function works, but one day, I will certainly enjoy using it! Then, when I find a cool photo I want to share, I just press the "Blog it" button, add my words, press the button, and through the Internet Pipes it goes until it gets to my blog.  8)

Amy :)

joatman - I was going to add - I would like that Bible Verse module for our church site. Was thinking about that.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:27 am

Amy,

I think it's still there  ...  look under plugins/xmlrpc there is blogger.php and blogger.xml.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:22 pm

mcsmom wrote: Amy,

I think it's still there  ...  look under plugins/xmlrpc there is blogger.php and blogger.xml.
Sweet! Thanks! That could be very helpful to figure out the Flickr blog integration. Essentially, it's doing the same basic things.

Much appreciate, Elin - and Johan, of course, for writing it and sharing it freely.

Amy :)

Kathe
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Kathe » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:57 pm

Amy, my client was just asking me about this yesterday--they have a joomla site that has a blog but they want to be able to push that "Blog this" button in their Flickr account. I think they'd use their blog more if it were that easy for them. Do you know if there is any movement on this idea?

porov
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by porov » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:11 pm

What interface are they using for the hmp web service?

Return to “Joombie Think Tank”