Introducing an Extension :: 2

jalil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Introducing an Extension :: 2

Post by jalil » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:22 pm

i remember when we started this forum, someone voluntered a website.
that would be a better place to upload extenstions not yet matured enough for public consumption, which is the stage of my development now. i made a mistake i think of asking where to upload extension, and got the standard in the general area. my mistake of not being specific enough, hence the mods did not understand me correctly. other coders would understand.

being in 101, i was expecting  a 101 upload area. so this lab is perhaps a better place to ask...where do we upload extensions for other coders to evaluate, try and play with etc....sort of a toy exchage area...i'm too chicken to go public yet....squawk.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Introducing an Extension :: 2

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:10 pm

Jalil -

We now have a JBeginners project in the the JoomlaCode SVN that is available for us for that purpose. If you are interested, get an ID for JoomlaCode and sign up for the JBeginners project.

Then, we will setup a folder for you to use to upload your project. (I think we have a bit of cleanup to do, but that won't take long).

Using this environment will be a good way for us - and other beginners - to test out each other's code and also to learn to use JoomlaCode and then the JED.

We are using Scott's instructions for the IDE environment. That is how we are connecting to the JoomlaCode SVN, too.

If you want help with this configuration or any of those tools, you can post here or you (or anyone) can also join us in the J!101 Skype chat if you are interested.

Congratulations on your progress! Can't wait to see what you have accomplished.
Amy :)

jserver
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jserver » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:43 pm

Hello Amy,

Thanks for information about JBeginners project, Now I joined JBeginners project!. But where to start ???
Is there any forum to interact or any other ways to interact?
mean.. what are the steps should I take to participate actively?

secondly, I joined also at  J!101 Skype chat, and withing for response from Skype[ J!101 ] admin side.

Thanks again for useful information :)
Sukalyan Banga

bascherz
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by bascherz » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:47 pm

jalil,

There has never been a problem with creating your own project on Joomlacode.org and uploading your source code and install packages there, regardless of its state of maturity. Don't assume for a minute that this has changed, just be aware of the requirements for using Joomlacode.org and work on your personal project at your own pace. You do not need anyone's blessing beforehand, and there is no requirement for advertising your extension before you think it's ready for prime time (some people will find it regardless of advertising).

Having said that, if you are looking for support or camaraderie from other "joombies" (Joomla newbies) with your project or you wish to allow others to share in its development, then I suggest Amy's approach and taking advantage of the Jbeginners project. We're all in the same boat as you, so we'll all potentially learn from what you have already done and perhaps provide some insight in areas you still need some help. Don't expect any expert opinions from the Jbeginners group, though. That is unless you happen to get lucky and one of our friends from development takes a personal interest in your project.

So no matter which direction you choose, you're going to find others in similar situations. There are plenty of great people in this community, so you should feel welcome.
Bruce Scherzinger

seadap
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by seadap » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:50 pm

jserver wrote: Hello Amy,

Thanks for information about JBeginners project, Now I joined JBeginners project!. But where to start ???
Is there any forum to interact or any other ways to interact?
mean.. what are the steps should I take to participate actively?

secondly, I joined also at  J!101 Skype chat, and withing for response from Skype[ J!101 ] admin side.

Thanks again for useful information :)
You already have!  By joining these threads and being in the j101 skype chat, you are already participating.  BTW, what admin are you looking for to join the skype chat?  It shouldn't have required anything like that.  Welcome aboard!
Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway.

jalil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jalil » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:39 pm

bascherz wrote: jalil,

There has never been a problem with creating your own project on Joomlacode.org and uploading your source code and install packages there, regardless of its state of maturity. Don't assume for a minute that this has changed, just be aware of the requirements for using Joomlacode.org and work on your personal project at your own pace. You do not need anyone's blessing beforehand, and there is no requirement for advertising your extension before you think it's ready for prime time (some people will find it regardless of advertising).

Having said that, if you are looking for support or camaraderie from other "joombies" (Joomla newbies) with your project or you wish to allow others to share in its development, then I suggest Amy's approach and taking advantage of the Jbeginners project. We're all in the same boat as you, so we'll all potentially learn from what you have already done and perhaps provide some insight in areas you still need some help. Don't expect any expert opinions from the Jbeginners group, though. That is unless you happen to get lucky and one of our friends from development takes a personal interest in your project.

So no matter which direction you choose, you're going to find others in similar situations. There are plenty of great people in this community, so you should feel welcome.
thanks, and no, i never did assume there was any problem on Joomlacode.org or such places, i merely wanted to know if there is a playground upload area...sort of ....hey uploading...version 1....then oops...wrong file mate... sorry, upload again, then oops, forgot the install xml file...etc etc....i don't want to get serious with the aplications programming...the idea is to have fun...we are kindergaterners , and if the community find it useful, all the better.

and i don't want any expert opinion because i am playing, not working. i want other coders and users opinion. and i would find an expert opinion terribly boring.  Aha ha ha ha lol :)  :pop ( i know ).

i'm not looking for coding help. i am looking for idea exchange, which was the basic reason i wasked for 101. the mathematics of idea exchange is simple. i have an idea, call it A, and i describe it to yo, so you will now have an opinion of the idea, call it A'. Then you give me your idea B and i will absorb it as B'. Thus two of us sharing an idea each results in four ideas, A A' B B'.

so i would go Amy's way, thanks Amy. and start with idea A of Application A. thanks much.

jserver
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jserver » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:29 am

Hi! seadap,
I had join but still not able to interact on skype chat & my question was about JBeginners is that how I start interaction with other member of JBeginners ...
Thanks
Sukalyan Banga

jalil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jalil » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:19 pm

jserver wrote: Hi! seadap,
I had join but still not able to interact on skype chat & my question was about JBeginners is that how I start interaction with other member of JBeginners ...
Thanks
wouldn't this forum be it ? or you mean direct communications ? i don't know if the mods are ready to start a live support for beginners if that is what you mean...i thought the idea was to find beginners here then we pursue whatever it is bilaterally, then come back here for updates or for bigger discussions on tips and tricks and such and perhaps also contribute by helping other starters. or am i misled ?

jalil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jalil » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:30 pm

AmyStephen wrote: If you want help with this configuration or any of those tools, you can post here or you (or anyone) can also join us in the J!101 Skype chat if you are interested.

Congratulations on your progress! Can't wait to see what you have accomplished.
Hi Amy,

i'm operating on an extremely limited resources and cramped area. i have tested skype b4, i know it works for my setup, but i have to operate with no A/V. i use just the chat facillity...where in skype is you people then ? at least i can type live....heh...

as for what i've accomplised, i don't quite know myself, i leave it for the users to judge, i'm dazed after a few days of programming, kept waking up with squiggly <? above my head....and in the final stages now. i want to add heavy commenting before i upload the component, as besides being functional, is also intended to be educational, so that other beginners will be able to follow the processes.

ciao all...many thanks.

jserver
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jserver » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:36 am

jalil wrote: wouldn't this forum be it ? or you mean direct communications ? i don't know if the mods are ready to start a live support for beginners if that is what you mean...i thought the idea was to find beginners here then we pursue whatever it is bilaterally, then come back here for updates or for bigger discussions on tips and tricks and such and perhaps also contribute by helping other starters. or am i misled ?
I had joined Skype[joomla 101] . but Still waiting to approve from Admin side.

I don't when approve me to join skype chat  [ J!101 Skype chat ], also even not getting any response from them.
Sukalyan Banga

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:51 am

jserver -
Things are always so complicated, aren't they?  :P

No one has to approve you to join in the Chat. You just do.  Allow me to clarify, a bit, all of these "getting started" things people can do.

1. You can signup for the JBeginners project in the the JoomlaCode SVN. (jserver - you did that and your ID has been approved. Now, you just wait until we are ready to move forward. Everyone is waiting on the next step with the SVN right now.)

2. Follow these instructions to get a free Skype account, and the software, and instructions on where to find us in the J!101 Skype chat. Sometimes people are there and sometimes no one is there. Eventually, you'll find us in there.

3.  Follow Scott's instructions to setup your own IDE environment. If you need help with that you can post here OR you can ask in the Skype Chat line.

4. You can also get started on the Joomla! Development for Beginners curriculum. It really is intended for self-study. Again, if you have questions, ask here in the forums or in Skype.

Eventually, we'll get going with some group training, but, there is no reason to wait! There is lots you can do already on your own or with the group. Already people are posting in the forums, here, to find partners to build simple extensions with a team. Once you have your IDE, you could start the curriculum, or if you have something you want to build, and you'd like to work with someone, you can ask here or  in Skype.

I hope that helps. We are all trying to find our way, so, let us know, too, what you think we all should do.

jserver
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jserver » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:31 am

Thanks for reply.
at least that one [one such reply] I am hunting. since you already post to join skype chat & after join no one responding thats why some  question comes in mind.
;)
Sukalyan Banga

jalil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jalil » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:54 am

AmyStephen wrote: jserver -
Things are always so complicated, aren't they?  :P
that i guess would apply to me as well. i signed up at JoomlaCode.Org and never got the confirmation email. No i don't use spam filters, i have a website that actually collect spams for display, and no i do not miss emails, and yes, JoomlaCode looks so complicated. it isn't suitable for beginners at all. and its so unfriendly. not even a welcome message. like a robot waiting to serve.
:pop

never mind Amy, i will find my sanctuary eventually.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:09 pm

OK, here's what I see happening. We are FORMING. This Joomla! Beginners Coding concept that YOU, Jalil, initially got rolling for us, is, at present time, a big shapeless blob.

I like that stage because it means I can participate in helping shape and organize the blob as I see fit. Some prefer to wait until things are organized and they are told this is what you can do and how to do it. That's where we are heading because a big, formless blob is the least productive way for a group to interact.

Jalil - look at the Curriculum, again. You and I think so much alike. In Week 5/6 there is a section on JoomlaCode and the Joomla! Extensions Directory. I agree with you. We need to make that sign up and "how to use" process drop dead easy for people so they can spend their creative energies coding amazing extensions for the community.

It seems that the two of you want to get involved but might be finding it difficult (impossible!) to do so. I think there are a few choices, at this moment:
  • Join in with the group - spend time interacting in this forum, reading all the posts (turn notify on for the forum), and responding, getting to know people AND join us in Skype.
  • Work independently to produce some of what you see as missing and needed for the new Joomla! developer;
  • Simply get rolling as a developer using what's here (reference my post above);
  • Or, if you want it better organized, first, before you get deeply involved, you could wait a bit, it's moving, but time is needed.
Like I said, for me, I like the forming stage of a project. So, I'm excited to see this starting and I enjoy working with the team - it builds my enthusiasm. You are both very, very welcome and encouraged to join in with us.

Now, Jalil, I do not see you in the list for the JBeginners SVN "spot." Please try adding it as a project, again, and I will look for your request. (Here's how to get a JoomlaCode ID, then click the Request to Join and I'll add you!)

Thanks guys!

jalil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jalil » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:17 pm

->Amy

i tried JoomlaCode.Org again for the thrid time and still with no luck. i tried registering but it says i am already registered. i tried getting it to send confirmation email but it refuses because if wrong password. has it anyting to do with the time zone i specify ?
(Hong Kong).

i went to joomla extenstions and found that my joomla usersname/password is immediately useable and that i can upload extensions immediately. looks like i have no choice now but to go straight there, so all my plans on getting an intermediate website for practice would have to be shelved.

so what i will do when i am done with my extension is to upload it straight to joomla extension where people can download and also make available another website for people to download.

Amy if you could do a manual registration for me in JoomlaCode.Org that would be nice. If not, it's ok, the Joomla Extensions Directory is quite ok.

I don't want to worry about SVNs ( what is that anyway ? ) and other complicated things there are on the website. Just want to upload and be done. This form can be where comments can be made for the extention, but if it is not appropriate, then i probably could setup a simple form support using SMF or something easier on my websites.

Ok, thanks much for bearing with me.

( they say good things dont come easy and best things in life are free....this be it then).  :)  :pop
Last edited by jalil on Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashar
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ashar » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:28 am

I have joined the project as well. But I am comfortable with the zend development environment. I have Tortoise SVN client but I dont know how to connect the svn at the joomlacode.org to download what has already been uploaded. I want to play around and contribute if i ever could be able to  :-\

ashar
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ashar » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:14 pm

Now I am able to connect but how can i make a folder of my name there

Return to “Joombie Developer Lab”