Plans for Joomla...

jalil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Plans for Joomla...

Post by jalil » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:27 pm

This is a lab so would be the place to ask nice things...are there plans to make joomla a home cms, meaning a cms designed for a normal household cms, much like what Open Office is attempting ( i think ). On the other extreme, are there plans for using joomla as industrial strength cms, say a cms for a whole factory. And are there plans for joomla! to work together with other management systems, so that intergration is seamless, again the factory would be a good example as they would have their own inventory system financial system, and whatever systems they need, and if joomla sits in the middle providing all the info pulled ( or pooled ) from various sources, that i woulod consider is industrial strength cms. these are avenue for joomla. i also have other ideas, but they are commercial and my tongue is tied. but if i were not the one to state the idea, it would be ok for me to participate in a discussion.

so joomla people would know better where joomla is heading, and from my observation point, it seems to be going in all directions. among them, would be some serious ones that would make an impact to the information technology the world currently now have. i rest my keyboard.

tjay
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Plans for Joomla...

Post by tjay » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:45 pm

Well that was a pretty broad stroke but it seems the jist of it is where is joomla going.
Well it seems fairly clear on the road map
As far as how Joomla will be used, well I think that is limitless. Some will use it for personal sites as they always have, others will build social or community sites with it. Still others will use it for ecommerce and portal type sites.

I do not think the intent was to create a niche CMS, in fact (someone jump in if I am wrong) the goal has always been to create more of an application framework with all the basic CMS needs covered. Allowing developers to extend the core and build customs applications to make a more robust CMS or website that would fit the need of the client.

It has been interesting to watch the results of the licensing debate, some were sure it meant the end of Joomla. I dont see that happening. In fact I think you will find that as more and more understand the framework and the MVC model they will bring new features to the platform through extensions. Hopefully they understand that these should be GPL and adopt a business model that will meet the licensing and still provide income.

I just have a hunch that once 1.5 goes stable and people start to code on the new framework people are going to be amazed at what it can do.
This day it is my wish that I helped you to live

jalil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jalil » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:01 pm

tjay wrote: I do not think the intent was to create a niche CMS, in fact (someone jump in if I am wrong) the goal has always been to create more of an application framework with all the basic CMS needs covered. Allowing developers to extend the core and build customs applications to make a more robust CMS or website that would fit the need of the client.
i don't know what the intent of joomla is in the beginning but i think it evolved from mambo in a way inevitable. i agree with you there are quite limitless uses for this, but the core isn't ready for it. but i think it will be, just like the mambo evolution. so it will be extensive.

as for licensing debate, i get some indication theres some big debate going on, so maybe i'll go search for it. in general, the gpl issue isn't an issue for commerce i think. it is more of a concept. the trouble is is that the concept was misunderstood by bith the issuer and the user in the beginning so it is a mess.

users understand gpl as free, and open source=gpl. which it of course isn't. open source is open souce gpl is gpl. the growth of joomla is due to open source, not gpl. but of course they are extremely close linked.

so the relevance to all this is that when coding for joomla, i guess i would adopt the attitude that it is all open and for anyone to build upon, so when i release my extension, it means letting go. i am ok with that, but i think quite a number of people have issues with that. what would you recommend ?

tjay
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by tjay » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:41 pm

Jalil I must apologize, I just dont understand your posts.
Maybe someone else can jump in and help

jalil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jalil » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:41 pm

tjay wrote: Jalil I must apologize, I just dont understand your posts.
Maybe someone else can jump in and help
no need to apologise, i and not focusing my posts properly.
i wanted to know, will joomla be a something i can pack in a box and sell. this may not be a good idea if joomla has other plans.
i know its free and all that, but the source is avalable for many uses so i guess i can think of a good one and package it under a product name. a customised or custom built solution if you like.

don't worry, its too far ahead. lets drop the subject. thanks.

tjay
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by tjay » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:55 pm

You cant sell Joomla, might be a good time to read the license

jalil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jalil » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:21 am

don;t understand . what are you talking about ? of course i can. anyone can. i am selling the solution, not the software. no one what's to buy a free software.  i think what you mean is selling the codes. in that case yes. but no i'm not selling codes. codes i give away for free.

Return to “Joombie Developer Lab”