XML parser for integrating external data

Radical Edward
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

XML parser for integrating external data

Post by Radical Edward » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:24 pm

Sorry if this isn't the exact spot to post this. Feel free to direct me to a better spot if there is one.

Basically i'm looking for help integrating an xml feed into my site so that i can keep track of certain statistics. I don't know almost anything about php so it's kinda impossible for me to write my own module. Any help would be appreciated.

I want to integrate this feed:
http://www.gamebattles.com/xbox360/call ... /stats.xml

So that i can put it into tables in order to look something like the tables here:
http://www.gamebattles.com/xbox360/call ... am-dynasty

Thank you all who contribute. I've gotten great advise here before in the post and i am hoping for it again.

EDIT: in the roster section of the xml file. it would be great if there were a way to integrate some of that data with peoples profiles inside community builder.

so far the only way i've seen of doing this is spending hundreds on a programmer to make the module. and i really can't do that.
Last edited by Radical Edward on Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lightinthedark
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: XML parser for integrating external data

Post by lightinthedark » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Hi,
I can only think that you'd need a custom module for this. There's good documentation around for learning php if you want to tackle it yourself (download an example module for Joomla, look at the docs for JSimpleXML, try and try and eventually succeed). Of course if you can't / don't want to learn php yourself, there are cheaper php developers in the world who might take on a job like this for less than you think, depending on your requirements. Heck, if they believe in open source development (as most folks on here do), you'd effectively be sponsoring a module that others will find useful too. That'd be a good contribution.

Sorry I can't help you figure this out any other way, but I'm just one poor, open-source-believing developer. Maybe others can help you find a non-module based solution,
Hello
:-Lightinthedark

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rogue4ngel » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:59 pm

so far the only way i've seen of doing this is spending hundreds on a programmer to make the module.
Probably. Nothing I know of for Joomla that has that kind of functionality.
If you're not a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem.

intend
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by intend » Sat May 10, 2008 9:20 pm

i am creating a plugin like this for wordpress, and i am also considering creating one for joomla and drupal.
for a relatively cheap price, i can make you a small include script that will do this for you but it would not be built into these systems but you should still be able to use it.

or you can just wait until i develop the plugins ;o
send a PM if interested

mrkdevelopment
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mrkdevelopment » Wed May 21, 2008 2:43 am

Can you get some HTML from the feed provider?

If you can, use a wrapper.

Otherwise, you will have to wait for someone to develop a module if you arent able to use joomla.utilities.simplexml package yourself as a php developer.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
http://www.mrkdevelopment.com
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

intend
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by intend » Wed May 21, 2008 11:14 am

Return to “Joombie Developer Lab”