Template Contest Entry - [bicolor] SUBMIT FOR CONTEST (FINAL)

This forum is for the Joomla! 1.5 template contest, where people can post their templates.
gantenx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Template Contest Entry - [bicolor] SUBMIT FOR CONTEST (FINAL)

Post by gantenx » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:37 am

Hi,
I made this template table-less, but i found some problem with CSS, so I use table in header area to display logo and sitename. I think this is a very simple template. Hope anyone who use this will easily done with this.

You will get :
1. Simple and elegant design.
2. Set layout to Wide (1024x768) or Narrow (800x600) mode.
3. Customisable Right and Left Color Scheme
4. Visibility-customisable Module Position. More control over modules to set their visibility per position, not per module.
5. Display site logo (Transparent PNG support for IE).
6. Display site name and custom slogan for your site.
7. Banner on top of and/or below component. Catch more visitors eyes.
8. Valid XHTML and CSS.
9. Middleweight template, fast loading.
10. Simple to use, even for beginner.

This template generates image to make colors-contact-location in header and footer smoother. It uses PHP GD2 extension.

Examples : Check out :
Download : http://www.biopharmaca.net/demo/download/template/

Any feed back will be great. Thanks 2 ALL , and ENJOY..  :)
Last edited by gantenx on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Template Contest Entry - [bicol]

Post by infograf768 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:21 am

Language file(s) missing.

+ add
img { border: 0 none; } in CSS
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

joomlord
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Template Contest Entry - [bicol]

Post by joomlord » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:51 pm

Very clean, quick to load, I love it! :D

gantenx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Template Contest Entry - [bicolor]

Post by gantenx » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:02 am

Thx for your information. I've updated it.  :)

gantenx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gantenx » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:11 am

Updated :
- Language file added
- Fix some CSS problems
- Fix some HTML and CSS validation problems
- Pagination style
- 1024x768 and 800x600 layout (still have some problem with footer image)
Last edited by gantenx on Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:45 pm

good! It's becoming better than it was,  ;) please try some variations to your ideas, I find that template interesting now!
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

gantenx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gantenx » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:01 am

newart wrote: good! It's becoming better than it was,  ;) please try some variations to your ideas, I find that template interesting now!
Thanks for the coment. I try to develop my template in this very short deadline time.  :)

I've updated it. Now, it have all the following features :
1. Display logo(PNG transparent for IE)
2. 1024x768 and 800x600 resolution support
3. Custom banner position on top, bottom, or either
4. Custom option whether to show breadcrumbs, searchbar, and top module
5. Custom footer position in left or right. Also, we can add custom footer content in opposite position.

Any comment will be great for my personal development. Thanks..  :)

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:13 pm

good!

please what posted about features, it's important to add to your first post to everybody

then about search in the header, why not to make active the magnifier image / icon? What do you think?

gantenx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gantenx » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:28 am

newart wrote: good!

please what posted about features, it's important to add to your first post to everybody

then about search in the header, why not to make active the magnifier image / icon? What do you think?
I tought so about the searchbar. The magnifier icon is grayscale at first, and becomes colored when cursor focus at it. Do you mean that the magnifier icon is a button? thx  :)

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:18 am

for sure! A button is better than a simple image, in this case

thesailor
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by thesailor » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:13 am

I love this one... how would I change the green to say orange without screwing up your design and such?
TheSailor - Too many surf - I navigate & sail the net -  a'ye ' ol timer of youth... Remember BBS's? I do. 56k -who'd ever have thought it possible???
Need hosting or a domain name?
Zippy Names, http://www.ZippyNames.US
Need a 1031? Http://www.WichitaHomeCenter.com for Kansas land, and investments

gantenx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gantenx » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:06 am

thesailor wrote: I love this one... how would I change the green to say orange without screwing up your design and such?
I use gif and jpg file to generate the blue and green image. Dynamic image color would cost a lot of image file, and it means larger file. Do you have any idea to change the green and blue image with less file? Thx..  :)

thesailor
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by thesailor » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:55 pm

would it be possible to have the div block have set color, then overlay a image with transparent center or edges to create the swoosh look and such...

then with simple css you could change div colors - go a step further add that option to the joomla template admin side - I saw one in here does that already, but no one has an overlay image... that would be cool...

whats more - if I had time - I would try to write something ... say we could create several image files that can be dynamicaly sized to fit each div for unique effect - think a box or frame look that is swishing or curvey - styled to match other content - and allow the option to have that same or another frame or content block overlay image for each div selectable from the template setings page..  you could then offer several styled minimal sized graphic files that are nothing more than frames of sorts to be selected for each block then set the colors underlying them...

heck I dont know... what do you think?

anyhow - I love your look on this one.. pretty clean and fast...
TheSailor - Too many surf - I navigate & sail the net -  a'ye ' ol timer of youth... Remember BBS's? I do. 56k -who'd ever have thought it possible???

gantenx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gantenx » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:28 am

I've updated my template. Now we can customise left or right color scheme. It used transparent PNG to render them. For IE < 7, I use directX hack to display transparent PNG.

Btw, now this template is not as light as before, because now it uses gd2 extension to generate ellipses on header and footer, so they can be displayed smoothly.

thesailor wrote: would it be possible to have the div block have set color, then overlay a image with transparent center or edges to create the swoosh look and such...

then with simple css you could change div colors - go a step further add that option to the joomla template admin side - I saw one in here does that already, but no one has an overlay image... that would be cool...

whats more - if I had time - I would try to write something ... say we could create several image files that can be dynamicaly sized to fit each div for unique effect - think a box or frame look that is swishing or curvey - styled to match other content - and allow the option to have that same or another frame or content block overlay image for each div selectable from the template setings page..  you could then offer several styled minimal sized graphic files that are nothing more than frames of sorts to be selected for each block then set the colors underlying them...

heck I dont know... what do you think?

anyhow - I love your look on this one.. pretty clean and fast...
Last edited by gantenx on Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesailor
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Template Contest Entry - [bicolor] SUBMIT FOR CONTEST (FINAL)

Post by thesailor » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:37 am

is the download link for the update the same as abobve?

gantenx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gantenx » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:56 am

thesailor wrote: is the download link for the update the same as abobve?
Nop, it changed. Just see my first post.

gantenx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gantenx » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:33 pm

Updated : V. 1.4.5 :
- Fixed : Module shadow
- Fixed : List icon
- Fixed : Bug in generating ellipse in header and footer

aturetta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: [bicolor] (FINAL) Error 500

Post by aturetta » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:05 am

I installed bicolor on my SVN copy of Joomla (updated today): the configuration panel works OK, but the site is not visible. I get the attached error.

I'm running "Apache/2.0.59 (Win32) SVN/1.4.3 PHP/5.2.1 DAV/2" on Windows XP Pro

I'm using the same Joomla instance to test other contest entry without problems. Any hints for where to get some more info on this error? Nothing is logged in both Joomla logs & apache logs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angelo Turetta
Modena - Italy

samsa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by samsa » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:33 pm

I get error 500

gantenx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gantenx » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:36 am

samsa wrote: I get error 500
Well, it might be came from the function library. I'm not using latest SVN when developing my last template. I'll check with the latest version. Thx bro..  :)

gantenx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gantenx » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:07 am

The error 500 came from index.php. From ''. I have fixed it in version 1.4.6. Previous version might be still displaying error in latest SVN of Joomla.

jimluu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jimluu » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:56 am

Thanks for a great template.  I'm trying to learn joomla and these templates have been a great learning process.

Could I ask a quick question:

Is there any way to not use the swirly graphics in the center of the header and footer?

Thanks.

gantenx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gantenx » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:47 am

jimluu wrote: Thanks for a great template.  I'm trying to learn joomla and these templates have been a great learning process.

Could I ask a quick question:

Is there any way to not use the swirly graphics in the center of the header and footer?

Thanks.
Until now, that's the best way i know to display the design. If you don't want to use the swirly graphics, you can mix it with the background into one graphics file. But, it will result in static color scheme.

My first template was use static color scheme for header, sidebar module, and footer. Then, i changed it to dynamic color scheme by utilizing transparent png.  :)

Regards..

Mewtwo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Mewtwo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:38 pm

Hi, I am giving Joomla a try scince a few days and like it very much. I installed Bicolor143 and 'played' with it a lot, creating my own site;  just installed the new 146 version 'over' it (copy-paste); I hope this is the right way...

I have a few newbie-questions :-[:
1. how can I get rid off the 'Welcome to the Frontpage' sentence at the frontpage.
2. I changed the slogan by changing an ini-file; is there a better method?
3. which is the best way to change the logo; I changed it by saving mine as logi.png. Can I change the size available for the logo in the header?
4. how can I change the colors?. I liked the fresh colors of 143 better than the 146,  but am curious how to best customize it.
5. I like the green-blue header but would like it without the central 'swirls'. Is there a way?

Thanks for your nice template! ;D
Last edited by Mewtwo on Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prim
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by prim » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:59 pm

Mewtwo wrote: Hi, I am giving Joomla a try scince a few days and like it very much. I installed Bicolor143 and 'played' with it a lot, creating my own site;  just installed the new 146 version 'over' it (copy-paste); I hope this is the right way...

1. how can I get rid off the 'Welcome to the Frontpage' sentence at the frontpage.
3. which is the best way to change the logo; I changed it by saving mine as logi.png. Can I change the size available for the logo in the header?
4. how can I change the colors?. I liked the fresh colors of 143 better than the 146,  but am curious how to best customize it.
5. I like the green-blue header but would like it without the central 'swirls'. Is there a way? After the installation of 146 it's not green-blue anymore, but silverish.

1. Menu -> Main Menu -> Home. Now click on "Parameters System" to the right, there you will see the "Welcome to Frontpage" message.

3. Check in the template css.

gantenx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gantenx » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 am

Mewtwo wrote: Hi, I am giving Joomla a try scince a few days and like it very much. I installed Bicolor143 and 'played' with it a lot, creating my own site;  just installed the new 146 version 'over' it (copy-paste); I hope this is the right way...

5. I like the green-blue header but would like it without the central 'swirls'. Is there a way?

No 1 and 3 has been answered.  But i will answer question no 3.  :laugh:

2. You can change the slogan through template settings in control panel. But, changing the ini-file directly also has the same effect.
3. Edit the 'template.css' file. Change 'height property' of 'div#identity' into height of the logo and 'height and width property' of 'div#logo and div#logo-png' into height and width of the logo. If the logo smaller than 75x75px, I suggest you not to change anything. Just create a 75x75px transparent PNG logo with the logo on the center.
4. To find your best color, I suggest you try each color one by one. For example, if you want a green color, just try #009900, #339933, #55DD55, etc.. Of course, this will require a lot of time. I would suggest you to change the color by directly editing your ini-file than editing from control panel for speed reason.
5. To remove the central swirl, just edit 'top_limiter.png' file. Or, you can create a new one by tracing the original image.

Mewtwo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Mewtwo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:09 am

gantenx wrote:
No 1 and 3 has been answered.  But i will answer question no 3.  :laugh:

2. You can change the slogan through template settings in control panel. But, changing the ini-file directly also has the same effect.
3. Edit the 'template.css' file. Change 'height property' of 'div#identity' into height of the logo and 'height and width property' of 'div#logo and div#logo-png' into height and width of the logo. If the logo smaller than 75x75px, I suggest you not to change anything. Just create a 75x75px transparent PNG logo with the logo on the center.
4. To find your best color, I suggest you try each color one by one. For example, if you want a green color, just try #009900, #339933, #55DD55, etc.. Of course, this will require a lot of time. I would suggest you to change the color by directly editing your ini-file than editing from control panel for speed reason.
5. To remove the central swirl, just edit 'top_limiter.png' file. Or, you can create a new one by tracing the original image.
Thanks you Prim and Gantenx for your replies.  ;D
I learned a few tricks this way.
I will look for for matching colornumbers at: http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html
I understand that adjusting the params.ini file is all I need to create my own colorscheme. Bij saving them under a different name allows to quickly change colorschemes. I wonder though how to change the colors of the top picture as well; I can not locate the file bicolor/images/top_picture_wide.jpg, which is indicated if I right-click on it.
I changed the template.css file for a bigger logo. I noticed that the logo tends to repeat itself if it is too small. I finetuned the size available in template.css to prefend showing these repetitions above and under the logo, so no problem.
Thanks again for your template!  :laugh:

gantenx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gantenx » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:56 pm

Hi,

I have googling for sites that use bicolor for its template. I found some site who remove/edit "Template by Manda Yugana" statement in the left footer. Please don't remove/edit it, I used it for personal promotion.  :)

If you want to remove that statement, please contact me via [email protected]. Thanks.. :)

gantenx
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gantenx » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:46 am

New version : 1.4.7
Fixed bug :
1. Ellipse image in header and footer issue (not displayed in IE) now fixed

Mewtwo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Mewtwo » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:28 pm

gantenx wrote: New version : 1.4.7
Fixed bug :
1. Ellipse image in header and footer issue (not displayed in IE) now fixed
Thanks gantenx!
How do I upgrade to the new version; are there specific files to upgrade?

I checked all the contest-templates and like Bicolor best. It's not overdone, it's clean and adaptable.
I created 25 different colorstyles; 25 different params.ini:

What I miss is a handy way to change between colors, by just clicking in template manager; allthough the possibility to change colors manually are unlimmited!
Is there a way to share colorschemes? Or export an adapted template?
Where can I change the color of the light yellow and blue content boxes?

Good luck with the contest!

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Template Contest”