Template Contest Entry - [fivepoint/unity]

This forum is for the Joomla! 1.5 template contest, where people can post their templates.
bodmin636
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Template Contest Entry - [fivepoint/unity]

Post by bodmin636 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:58 am

That worked a treat.
Thanks for your amazingly fast response.
This template is exactly what I have been looking for, a few graphic changes and it will be perfect.
Good luck in the competion. :D

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:59 am

Thankyou...you're welcome  :D

Package now updated to 1.0.4...
http://toolboxdigital.com - Front-end development for ExpressionEngine, WordPress & Joomla

worcester4x4
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by worcester4x4 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:06 pm

I've been away for a few days and was going to post some screenshots of this issue.

Beaten to the line....  :)

Update installed and now working 100%.

many thanks for the rapid response and best of luck with the comp.  :pop

Pete
In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.

bodmin636
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bodmin636 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:48 pm

Is there a way to add more fonts to the title sIRF. maybe something a bit plainer like Arial for example.

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:54 pm

Yes, you need to read up on how to create the fonts, then the easiest way would be to simply overwrite the names in the /fonts folder.

However, if you want to use a web-safe font like Arial, it kinda defeats the object of using sIFR at all  :D
http://toolboxdigital.com - Front-end development for ExpressionEngine, WordPress & Joomla

bodmin636
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bodmin636 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:36 pm

Ok will get reading.

Maybe Arial was a bad example lol.

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:00 pm

...there are also a few sites where you can directly download ready-to-go sIFR font styles...have fun!

worcester4x4
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by worcester4x4 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:25 pm

OK, I'm back, sorry.

Testing some issues with RC3 on a new server, I installed fivepoint unity but the right column won't collapse. According to module manager there's nothing active in the Right position and the auto-collapse setting is on. I had no problem with this on the previous site, is there perhaps something I'm missing that's still Right and stopping it collapsing?

Pete
In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:28 pm

Make sure you also have nothing published in SYNDICATE; I explain the reasons why elsewhere in this thread...

worcester4x4
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by worcester4x4 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:29 pm

Found it, it was the Syndication module.

Fine now

Pete

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:30 pm

worcester4x4
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by worcester4x4 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:30 pm

Cheers for that.

Pete

adamhearn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by adamhearn » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:15 pm

Excellent template, thanks for submitting it!

A quick Q - is there a recommended way to reduce the width of the 'left' component. The menu is too wide for my needs. I found an CSS entry but adjusting that single reference had undesirable effects on the layout :)

Thanks in advance!

worcester4x4
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by worcester4x4 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:59 pm

Not really my place to reply to you about this adamhearn but this might be useful. If you view your site in FF you can highlight any part of the page, right click and "view selection source". This will show you which css classes are involved in whatever you select. Might help you identify what changes you need to make?

It is a nice template isn't it?  :)

Pete

bodmin636
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bodmin636 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:19 pm

adamhearn wrote: Excellent template, thanks for submitting it!

A quick Q - is there a recommended way to reduce the width of the 'left' component. The menu is too wide for my needs. I found an CSS entry but adjusting that single reference had undesirable effects on the layout :)

Thanks in advance!
I have been playing with this myself. I have found 3 entries so far that needed to be changed in th etemplate.css file and by reducing the left coloum from 240px to 175 px gives me the right width.  However the background.png file needs changing as well to get the line in the right place and the figure for the rollover width. Having done all this it looked ok except for the content text did not go all the way to the right (couldn't work out how to change this).

Then  I opened thepage in IE and it was all over the place. So have put it back to standard for now :(

Hope there is a fairly easy hack for this though as otherwise it is perfect for my needs.

worcester4x4
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by worcester4x4 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:23 pm

Don't forget there is a seperate stylesheet for IE6.

Pete

brimba
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by brimba » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:25 am

@Dan L

Thanks for the great work you are doing for the community, your template is excellent ! IMHO it deserves a place among the finalists.

Can you please comment on if it's possible to reduce the width of the left menu please ?

Thank You.
Regards to All :)

rmh1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rmh1 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:15 am

Hi DanL,

I am brand new to all this joomla stuff, but I'm loving the template! thats great work - having skimmed through the other submissions this one would get my vote. I have just one quick question if anyone can help...

I wanted to replace the header image with my own .jpg, I created the jog the same size and named it the same as the original jpg (header.jpg for example) and overwrote the original in the Orange folder for images. However, the original orange image is still appearing - any ideas why this might happen?

I have tried everything like clearing my internet files/history etc

Thanks in advance!

bodmin636
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bodmin636 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:22 am

rmh1 wrote: Hi DanL,

I am brand new to all this joomla stuff, but I'm loving the template! thats great work - having skimmed through the other submissions this one would get my vote. I have just one quick question if anyone can help...

I wanted to replace the header image with my own .jpg, I created the jog the same size and named it the same as the original jpg (header.jpg for example) and overwrote the original in the Orange folder for images. However, the original orange image is still appearing - any ideas why this might happen?

I have tried everything like clearing my internet files/history etc

Thanks in advance!
Have you put it in the correct orange folder. There is one for the dark and one for the light theme.

rmh1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rmh1 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:18 am

Thanks Bodmin,

turns out I had uploaded the template twice somehow and was uploading the images to the incorrect folder, doh.

I have another quick question if anyone can help (sorry if this isnt the place to ask) - If i want to change the height of the header image, can I just increase the image size or do i need to change the parameters somewhere?

Thanks again!

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:14 pm

Sorry folks, been spending all day sorting out a server move and for some reason I didn't get the email alerts for new posts :(

@brimba - yes this is *possible* although you will need to make amends in the CSS and create a new content area background image.  It's not majorly difficult but you will need to understand the template construction and some of the CSS.

@rmh1 - you will need to adjust the height pixel value for the header DIV in the main CSS file.  Should be pretty straightforward.

Once I've had a chance to tidy the PNG source and made it available, customisations with the imagery will be much easier.

By the way, apologies to anyone trying to view the demo on my website, they are currently down and should be back online tomorrow.

Cheers
Dan

brimba
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by brimba » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:54 am

@Dan L

Thanks for replying and making it clear. I am a total newbie to CMS, CSS Etc. so it's not a task for me ATM.

brimba
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by brimba » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:22 am

May I ask what's new/fixed in 1.0.4 please ?, in your first post is still showing 1.0.3

Thanks!

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:27 am

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... msg1046510

Just two additional lines of code to fix a minor layout error when the right column is collapsed in IE6.

If you are not (and don't plan to) use the right column in collapse mode, then there's little point in upgrading basically.

mattenrone
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mattenrone » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:13 pm

The template seems amazing, but
I've problems with The administration of it.
i get the following error:

Fatal error: Cannot access empty property in /home/www/site1/libraries/joomla/registry/registry.php on line 145

It's a clean new install of joomla 1.5 rc3

rmh1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rmh1 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:55 am

Thanks Dan, thats great again -one last question:

Is it possible to replace the two header images in the tempalte with flash movies?

Thanks!

H0w1tz3r
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by H0w1tz3r » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:01 pm

Dan great template!!!!

I am building a Podcast/Vidcast site and am planning on using your template to build it. I am fairly new to Joomla but am trying to learn. Can you help me with a question. We are looking for a fairly simple and clean site, it is possile on the front page when we add new stories instead of it splitting them into 2 columns that it stay as just one?

Is it also possible for us to completely remove the right column or combine the menus from the Right and Left column. We have alot less links and menus so one column would probably be all we need.

Thanks!
Marty Brownell
(http://www.thegaminginsiders.com)

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:26 pm

Is it possible to replace the two header images in the tempalte with flash movies?
I can't see any reason why not!  Will need a little CSS adjustment but nothing major.
I am building a Podcast/Vidcast site and am planning on using your template to build it. I am fairly new to Joomla but am trying to learn. Can you help me with a question. We are looking for a fairly simple and clean site, it is possile on the front page when we add new stories instead of it splitting them into 2 columns that it stay as just one?

Is it also possible for us to completely remove the right column or combine the menus from the Right and Left column. We have alot less links and menus so one column would probably be all we need.
Hey Marty...answers:

1) Yes you will need to set the column setting for the frontpage to 1 column instead of 2 (the default setting).  Just click the menu item (in the menu manager) and set the Coumns setting (in basic parameters, left) to "1". 

2) Yes...make sure you set the right column to allow "auto collapse", then simply disable any modules loaded to the "right" and "syndicate"  positions; this will fold the right column in.

ernexto
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ernexto » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:34 pm

First of all, many compliments for your beautiful work!

I'm completely new to Joomla, so please excuse me in advance...  :laugh:

- with SEF URLs turned ON, password and login reminders and new registration (from the login component) don't work... or better, you get redirected to a white, unformatted page with plain text.

I'm using last 1.5 svn and your template 1.0.3.

Is this a Joomla's bug or what?

TIA!!!!!

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 pm

OK in RC3; something must have changed in the latest SVN(s)...can anyone out there confirm?

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Template Contest”