Template Contest Entry - [fivepoint/unity]

This forum is for the Joomla! 1.5 template contest, where people can post their templates.
prova
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Template Contest Entry - [fivepoint/unity]

Post by prova » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:51 pm

hurra I'm waiting for the new version!  :)
Vorrei ringraziare http://www.joomla.org per avermi dato la possibilità di essere presente su internet anche se non ci capisco niente di programmazione.

sam604
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sam604 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:11 pm

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but when the right column is set to the default 200px width, I can scroll horizontally a little bit at 1024*768 resolution.

mindiam
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mindiam » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:05 am

Very nice template, I love the dark version as well!
http://www.mindiam.com - Joomla Development Services - http://www.joomlatemplatestyle.com - Joomla Templates

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:15 am

sam604 wrote: I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but when the right column is set to the default 200px width, I can scroll horizontally a little bit at 1024*768 resolution.
Yeah but it's like 5px (if that!), I figured that would be more than acceptable ;)

If it's more than that, please let me know which browser you are running.
http://toolboxdigital.com - Front-end development for ExpressionEngine, WordPress & Joomla

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:58 am

??? it is yours? I've seen the same template on .de http://www.joomlaos.de/Joomla_CMS_Downl ... Unity.html
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:01 am

Yes that's mine :)

Joomlaos.de always add the latest free templates to their catalogue.  With any luck it might win template of the month ;)
http://toolboxdigital.com - Front-end development for ExpressionEngine, WordPress & Joomla

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:26 am

My fear is about joomla contest... the template has to be original but if you have your template on another site... I hope for our judges that this case is not an out-of-the-rules  :(  :-\ but I suggest you if all is right for the joomla contest - you never know!

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:42 am

But my template is already on the public domain - linked from here, available for free download on my site, licensed under the GNU/GPL.  I did not request that Joolmaos.de add it to their site; I would not be surprised if it were added to other sites too.  It's not my fault.  What difference does it make?

It is also highly likely that all other templates available here in the contest were added to Joomlaos etc too.

Joomlart are actively promoting JA Purity on their site - an extremely high-profile template club.  I'll bet they've had hundreds, likely even thousands more downloads than my entry has.  Should they be disqualified?  Of course not.

Sorry to sound defensive but what you are suggesting is a little ridiculous  :)

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:02 am

yes, I think my idea now as a bit ridiculous one...  :)  but for avoiding "strange" situations I think it's important to say what... you've just said ;) - your post is at the attention of everybody and what said is simply a truth.

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:14 am

The only way to stop this sort of thing from happening would be to not offer a physical download of the product at all, which of course defeats the whole object.

Licensing under the GPL means that you don't exactly have much control over it...

Besides...they don't have the new improved V1.0.1 yet  :P

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:24 am

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

tekcronic
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tekcronic » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:41 am

Right  :pop

In other news it was discovered that Ubuntu, a Linux distribution may have trouble viewing the transparent background from the sIFR and the slogan comes in as white same as the background.  This produces a block of white with the logo correctly placed, as you can see in the screen shot but even with the slogan enabled it does not show. It is clear this is only a problem when using Firefox in connection with Ubuntu Feisty, though admittedly no other browser was test on the system.  As for those using windows it seems to not have any problems in either Firefox or IE.

The first image is just a screen shot the second one is with the text highlighted.

Good job on the template I am thinking this may be a problem specific to Ubuntu and not sIFR but I may be wrong. ;D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tekcronic on Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:03 am

:o  :'(

Well....you could turn sIFR mode off in the params if you're really worried about it...although must be a very, very small percentage with a problem ;)

Or use Konqueror, where I have heard it works  :D

tekcronic
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tekcronic » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:36 am

Oh no problem at all as you are correct and many many props for a job well done.  I was just giving you a FYI just in case either way I figured it's probably worth mentioning, I think you have one the templates worth making it to the final 5.

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:43 am

Thanks :)  And thanks for reporting it...if only I had more time I'd probably get setup with Ubuntu and try to fix it...maybe one for the future (I'll also need to get familiar with Linux first ;)).

Cheers
Dan

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:57 am

New version 1.0.1 is now ready for download, and comes with the following updates & enhancements:

- Added new layout mode - left column can be positioned on the left-hand side or right-hand side (default)
- Fixed front-end editor window not fitting in content pane when left modules are loaded
- Added styles for system messages
- Added some basic typography styles
- Updated Admin language file to add missing strings
- Reformatted the template manager Parameters section for ease of use
- Restructured index.php and template.css, and added comments for easier customization
- Fully tested on IE6, IE7, Firefox2, Safari and Opera

PNG source files will be released shortly, once I've had a chance to clear them up a little ;)

Previews:

New left-oriented left column layout (selectable via parameters):

New Parameters layout & structure:

Auto collapse layout for FE editing:

Styled Joomla! system messages:

Download: http://www.toolboxcreations.com/downloa ... /index.php

Note you will need the latest SVN or nightly to run it...

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:12 pm

Dan L wrote: PNG source files will be released shortly, once I've had a chance to clear them up a little ;)
If think that a psd file is good too. Everybody can change the layers and so on with those files.

MuffinDCC
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by MuffinDCC » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:22 pm

newart wrote:
Dan L wrote: PNG source files will be released shortly, once I've had a chance to clear them up a little ;)
If think that a psd file is good too. Everybody can change the layers and so on with those files.
You can do the same with a PNG file in Fireworks :)

Mat-D-Rat
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Mat-D-Rat » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:44 pm

Yea, new release, and Yea PNG files (I use fireworks!)

Edit : Replaced with new template couple of comments. One of the styles is PRE but if you use this and the line is too long it goes under the right columns. Secondly a paramter to change the size of the left (that can be right!) column would be nice as well. As a default I think it's too wide, losing to much screen estate.
Last edited by Mat-D-Rat on Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:07 pm

no problem...  ;)

shdesigns2007
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shdesigns2007 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:39 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie to Joomla and I have a question. This might not be the right place to post this but it has to do with the template in this thread. I really love the look of this template and want to use it for a new site I'm in the process of building.  :-*

My problem is, when I'm in the Admin of Joomla, it does not give me the option of (site) - (template manager) - (install). It is just not there. So....I tried going to Installers, template site at the top of admin. I go to upload the template zip file and it keeps giving me the following error: UPLOAD TEMPLATE - TEMPLATE FAILED (reason: could not find a Joomla! XML setup file in the package.)
Furthermore: Installation file not found.  ??? >:(

Can anyone tell me what I should do? Also, the way the Joomla was installed in the first place was auto for me through godaddy.com host. So I didn't install the initial program itself. I'm really confused at this point and any help would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:43 pm

Sorry, PSD will never happen.  Photoshop has no business in the web design world IMO, it quivers in the shadow of the mighty Fireworks  ;D

@Mat-D-Rat:  PRE is not a style in Unity; please use for this.  Longer lines in PRE do not wrap; I've seen this in other templates and it's the reason why it is not defined in the CSS.

As for the left column width - not practical at the moment due to the way the columns are generated...sorry!

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:48 pm

shdesigns2007 wrote: Hi, I'm a newbie to Joomla and I have a question. This might not be the right place to post this but it has to do with the template in this thread. I really love the look of this template and want to use it for a new site I'm in the process of building.  :-*

My problem is, when I'm in the Admin of Joomla, it does not give me the option of (site) - (template manager) - (install). It is just not there. So....I tried going to Installers, template site at the top of admin. I go to upload the template zip file and it keeps giving me the following error: UPLOAD TEMPLATE - TEMPLATE FAILED (reason: could not find a Joomla! XML setup file in the package.)
Furthermore: Installation file not found.  ??? >:(

Can anyone tell me what I should do? Also, the way the Joomla was installed in the first place was auto for me through godaddy.com host. So I didn't install the initial program itself. I'm really confused at this point and any help would be greatly appreciated.  :)
Are you trying to install to Joomla 1.0 or Joomla 1.5?

shdesigns2007
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shdesigns2007 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:51 pm

LOL, guess that would help if I put that eh. It installed the version 1.0.13. Does this make a difference? And, should I just update it?

Thanks!

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:54 pm

Well, this is an entry for a Joomla 1.5 template contest  :laugh:

Joomla 1.0 and Joomla 1.5 are two very different products.

You should clear off the 1.0 installation and install the latest nightly build or SVN version of 1.5 to your host, if you want to use one of these templates at least.

1nf1n17yLOVE
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by 1nf1n17yLOVE » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:07 am

Really nice design, really enjoy it ...favourits :)
Reminds me a little of sundown from mambo templates ...

The banner at the dark version is here (swiftfox linux) a few pixel to much below the header background gfx. Maybe 4 pixel ...
And i also think hackingit to see a 2 or 3 col layout would be nice :)

Cheers
Last edited by 1nf1n17yLOVE on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:45 am

Can you please take a screenshot of the problem and post it here?
And i also think hackingit to see a 2 or 3 col layout would be nice
It already has a 2/3 column layout  :)

1nf1n17yLOVE
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by 1nf1n17yLOVE » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:48 am

It looks exactly liek the image tekcronic posted above.
(I meant with the col layout that i would make the homepage 2 col layout) :) Ok well i maybe can set this with module mangerr but liek to see that ...
Last edited by 1nf1n17yLOVE on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:57 am

1nf1n17yLOVE wrote: It looks exactly liek the image tekcronic posted above.
Oh you mean the white box?  This looks like a problem with sIFR on Ubuntu.  Unfortunately I do not have the time to install & learn Linux right now  ;)  Let alone try to figure out a problem in someone else's script  :(
I meant with the col layout that i would make the homepage 2 col layout
The main content area supports left/right orientation for the column, and the column auto-collapses when nothing is loaded there.  The right (outer) column can also be set to auto-collapse and will collapse if nothing is loaded in the right position AND the syndicate position.

Cheers
Dan

1nf1n17yLOVE
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by 1nf1n17yLOVE » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:26 pm

Dan L wrote: :o  :'(

Well....you could turn sIFR mode off in the params if you're really worried about it...although must be a very, very small percentage with a problem ;)

Or use Konqueror, where I have heard it works  :D
Oh well i should have read the thread first, lol you said small percentage!
There might be more ubunut users out there! Maybe give ubuntu.com a try :) Just download when you busy the LIVE CD and when you got a little bit time than boot from it than you can see already ubuntu :)

But anyway nice template and cool people figured this out so fast .

Have a nice weekend Cheers

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Template Contest”