Template Contest Entry - [fivepoint/unity]

This forum is for the Joomla! 1.5 template contest, where people can post their templates.
Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Template Contest Entry - [fivepoint/unity]

Post by Dan L » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:03 am

Perfect timing  :P
http://toolboxdigital.com - Front-end development for ExpressionEngine, WordPress & Joomla

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:09 am

I've updated to V1.0.2 which fixes a small typo which was stopping the footer modules from loading correctly...apart from that, all seems well when running under RC3.

Cheers
http://toolboxdigital.com - Front-end development for ExpressionEngine, WordPress & Joomla

mikethm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mikethm » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:12 am

Downloaded your 1.02 to test and found that under template admin... params.ini is unwritable? Checked my server file permissions and verified that owner is www-data. Tried changing parameters of other templates and they were writable. I have 5 templates installed and yours is the only unwritable one.
Last edited by mikethm on Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:32 am

Now updated to correct this.

I've noticed it subconciously before, but never actually had any problems saving params either locally or on a webserver, so didn't really think too much about it.  The file params.ini was marked as read-only in the package.

Anyway, this should now be working fine (ok on my localhost).

Thanks!

new_to_cms
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by new_to_cms » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:06 pm

Really nice template  :)

One small question though:
Do these pages
Demo site (dark version) with default J! 1.5 content: http://www.toolboxcreations.com/demo/fivepoint_default
Demo site (light version) with default J! 1.5 content: http://www.toolboxcreations.com/demo/whitepoint
use an old version of the template?
Their topmenu's active tab doesn't have a "highlighted" background for example...

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:40 pm

These are both running V1.0.1 IIRC.

The reason the highlighted menu does not work on the default installs is that USER3 (the module position for the top menu) is, by default, assigned as a "legacy list" format in the administrator.  Legacy List does not support the CSS features to allow proper highlighting, so there is a different set of CSS rules in play for the default USER3 menu.

To use the proper menu, the user must change the menu type to "list"...but since these are intended as 100% default installations, I've not modified anything in the administrator.

new_to_cms
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by new_to_cms » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:50 pm

Ah, ok  :)

mikethm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mikethm » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:45 pm

Dan L wrote: Now updated to correct this.

I've noticed it subconciously before, but never actually had any problems saving params either locally or on a webserver, so didn't really think too much about it.  The file params.ini was marked as read-only in the package.

Anyway, this should now be working fine (ok on my localhost).

Thanks!
Yes, it seems to be updated despite saying it is unwritable.

mikethm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mikethm » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:08 am

Template text logo does not display properly in all browsers. Meaning if I have a long text logo... It should either display across the width of the template space or move whatever it can't display in the 1st line to the 2nd. It doesn't work properly, part of text is "hidden" under the background colour. If you do not know what I mean, I could recreate and show screenshots if required. Not really a problem as I can make a short logo and put the additional text under slogan.

2nd, does not display logo properly in Opera in Mac. Does display properly in Windows Opera. Does display properly in other Mac browsers.
Screenshots provided.
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Well, firstly the site title was only ever intended for short text - a name, company name, that sort of thing...not a mass of text across the whole header.  It limits at the point where the right-header will be in case the user has modules published here, in which case a long title would appear over the top of any text.  Long titles should (and do, when I tested) wrap to the line below.

As for the second issue, this is also the case on some configs of Linux (also in this thread somewhere) - I can only assume that there must be a sIFR compatibility issue somewhere - my sIFR code used has not been modified, and I am in no position to start reprogramming the script and trying to figure out why the text does not work on every single browser out there.  Besides, I don't have a Mac to test on, which complicates things even further.  If users are concerned about 100% compatibility, there is an option in the admin to disable sIFR in favour or normal text.

One thing I did try very hard to do is recreate the content text problem you have on your site, where the text is hitting the overflow (it's chopped off on the right) - but duplicating what you have exactly on my site and my text wraps correctly.

I would be very interested to have a look at your setup in your administrator to see what's happening here...if you are happy for me to do this, please create me an admin logon to your site so that I may take a look...email info*AT*toolboxcreations.com...cheers.

steve2
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by steve2 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:42 pm

Indeed RC3 is out and causing a little ???? in regards to some templates!
Godfuel Media Ministries - www.godfuel.org
Web Dev - http://www.web.godfuel.net

mikethm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mikethm » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:11 am

Dan L wrote: Well, firstly the site title was only ever intended for short text - a name, company name, that sort of thing...not a mass of text across the whole header.  It limits at the point where the right-header will be in case the user has modules published here, in which case a long title would appear over the top of any text.  Long titles should (and do, when I tested) wrap to the line below.

As for the second issue, this is also the case on some configs of Linux (also in this thread somewhere) - I can only assume that there must be a sIFR compatibility issue somewhere - my sIFR code used has not been modified, and I am in no position to start reprogramming the script and trying to figure out why the text does not work on every single browser out there.  Besides, I don't have a Mac to test on, which complicates things even further.  If users are concerned about 100% compatibility, there is an option in the admin to disable sIFR in favour or normal text.

One thing I did try very hard to do is recreate the content text problem you have on your site, where the text is hitting the overflow (it's chopped off on the right) - but duplicating what you have exactly on my site and my text wraps correctly.

I would be very interested to have a look at your setup in your administrator to see what's happening here...if you are happy for me to do this, please create me an admin logon to your site so that I may take a look...email info*AT*toolboxcreations.com...cheers.
Yes, you are right about the sIFR, disabling it does improve compatibilty.

About the wrap... I think I shouldn't be the only one facing this problem. And it is not just your template... it is in my opinion a Joomla bug. After all, I had this problem on non-fiuld width templates from 1.0x to now. And regardless of whether I am using a webhost or hosting it on my own box. And ya, I would say the failure of the logo to wrap proper is probably due to the same issue. The fault if any lies squarely on the Joomla development team. After all, this is a content management software and duh surely wrapping properly is a given no? Due to the unreliability of Joomla wrapping... I have been waiting long and hard for fiuld width templates. :)

Sure, you can take a look. Had emailed you the login and password.

HG Mischief
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HG Mischief » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:08 am

Dan! Love your template! Personally would rank it highest in the competition... I'm also currently using it on my website with a few graphic mod's to fit my site. Haven't ran into any problems running it on joomla 1.5rc3 so good work there... one question do have any images or what not with the module's and their positions for the site? Also, are there any module suffix's? to further customize the template?
Last edited by HG Mischief on Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:37 am

mikethm wrote: And it is not just your template... it is in my opinion a Joomla bug. After all, I had this problem on non-fiuld width templates from 1.0x to now. And regardless of whether I am using a webhost or hosting it on my own box. And ya, I would say the failure of the logo to wrap proper is probably due to the same issue. The fault if any lies squarely on the Joomla development team. After all, this is a content management software and duh surely wrapping properly is a given no? Due to the unreliability of Joomla wrapping... I have been waiting long and hard for fiuld width templates. :)
Joomla can't be responsible for a pure template CSS issue...
Even the content here is defined through the template parameters.

These are the CSS concerned
#header-left{
position:absolute; left:0; top:0;
height:180px;
width:558px;}

[...]

#siteslogan_div_future, #siteslogan_div_industrial, #siteslogan_div_funky{
position:absolute; top:145px; left:27px; }

#siteslogan_div_industrial{
left:34px
}
[...]

.siteslogan{
font-size:14px;
letter-spacing:0px;
color:white;
font-family:Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; }
Note that there is no back-end param for the slogan font-size.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:47 am

Yeah, I agree, or at least I did this morning until I had a look at the site...the titles on Michael's site are long; I assumed that was the issue, but when I created a new article with the same text, same title, same title alias, and published it to the front page, the title wrapped correctly and the DIV did not overflow.

So I edited Michael's original article, copied and pasted the article title and the article title alias into notepad, replaced the article title with something shorter and it worked fine.  I then added the Notepad title & alias back to the article, saved, and it worked fine!

I am completely baffled by this.  Does Joomla allow for some kind of hidden formatting here?  Something was forcing the title to not-wrap, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what or how it was done!
Note that there is no back-end param for the slogan font-size.
Yes that's intentional.

mikethm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mikethm » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:20 am

Just so that it is understood it is a problem not unique to dan's template... this problem occurs with every non fiuld width templates but as dan observed, the problem can be easily overcome by 1st using a text editor as a medium of transfer of text.

This happens whenever I copy and paste the text of the article from an existing article by copying it on the front end before pasting into the article editor directly.

So my solution have been to copy and paste into a text editor 1st, then copy and paste again from the text editor into the article editor. As this involve an additional step... I am very excited about those new templates with fiuld widths as besides ensuring the website display will fit nicely on any screen resolutions... do not like how fixed width templates leave empty space on the sides... they also display cut and paste text correctly.

Therefore, I definitely think if there is a needed debugging... it should be the responsibilty of Joomla developers rather than the template developers. As an enduser, I have no idea why there is such a problem but it is easily lived with... therefore I( and probably others) see no need to raise the fact that such a bug exist. Indeed it may not be a bug but hidden formating generated by the original article editing and captured by the cut and paste action... and then unknown to the user... transferred to the new article with no indication of its existence. BUT the hidden formating if any, are generated by the default article editor in Joomla anyway, so it is still in the end a Joomla issue.

mikethm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mikethm » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:34 am

Anyway I have to say I like Dan's template very much. So much in fact that despite the fact I am migrating to 1.5 for the fuild width templates... I am very much tempted to use this as my default template.  :D

This template is simple, look clean and yet visually pleasing.

By the way, any chance of having fiuld width added to this template? hohoho.

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:37 am

mikethm wrote: By the way, any chance of having fiuld width added to this template? hohoho.
No :D

MuffinDCC
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by MuffinDCC » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:44 am

Fluid is easy to do but I personally think it looks horrible in 90% of cases :)

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:47 am

MuffinDCC wrote: Fluid is easy to do but I personally think it looks horrible in 90% of cases :)
I think "easy" is a broad statement ;) If a template has been designed for fixed, it can be a lot of work to make it fluid.

Plus I agree, fluid width templates do nothing for me at all...most look simply dreadful on a large widescreen.

MuffinDCC
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by MuffinDCC » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:37 pm

Lol, you know what I mean :) in normal cases :)

And websites that I work with, the content is styled extensively so it will work for that width, and that width only :)

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:56 pm

HG Mischief wrote: do have any images or what not with the module's and their positions for the site?
Added to the original thread: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... msg1002130

Dan

HG Mischief
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HG Mischief » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:46 pm

Dan... your a stud! haha... quick response to my request! I'm guessing your site is toolboxcreations.com? You definitely got a customer for life ... However, when looking through the site i saw that your templates are for individual sale? Why not have a "club" like the rest of the template sites? Also, looks like your currency is in pounds or somethin?  Im guessing there is a way to buy with american dolllars?

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:37 am

Hey HG,

No problem...yes my templates are for individual sale, I've thought about a club scheme - and I'd love nothing more than to commit 100% to template development - but it's just too risky for me as my business is my only source of income.  I'm too busy with dev work to commit to a regular template club structure at the moment...but maybe one day!

Site is in GBP because I'm in the UK...but payments are via PayPal so other currencies can (and have been) used without any problems.

Clements
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Clements » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:08 pm

I really like this one! Great job!

One remark though: When changing the left column to the right, I would expect the header.jpg  and the header_right.jpg to switch. Now, the grey line in the body and the header are not in line.

Good luck! I´ll vote for you :D

agarza
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by agarza » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:24 pm

I'm still running RC2 with Fivepoint/unity 1.0.1 and every time I set the search button to view as image it doesn't show up on IE7, but on firefox it does. Is there a way to fix this?  ???

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:31 pm

Please update to RC3 and 1.0.2 and test again, just in case it's a bug in Joomla! that's been fixed.

Is this problem specific to this and only this template?

agarza
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by agarza » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:40 pm

Dan thank you for the quick reply. My fault for not checking other templates, it is a RC2 problem and nothing to do with Fivepoint. :-[ keep up the great work.

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:06 pm

No worries...and thanks :)

sspeed
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sspeed » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:36 pm

I just started building my website and I love your template.
I noticed that when the right column is empty and it collapses, the view is not symmetric, but is has an extra dark band when compared with the left side. I tested this in both IE7 and Firefox.
It's this the way it suppose to be?
Here is the link

Thanks
Last edited by sspeed on Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Template Contest”