Why Joomla?

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
Lighting Dude
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Why Joomla?

Postby Lighting Dude » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Hello,

the question has probably been asked a million times, but why do you use Joomla? What are its strengths?

If you also use Wordpress, can you tell me why you choose to use Joomla?

I'm currently using Wordpress, have previously used other things and am interested in Joomla.

Thanks.

mojito
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Why Joomla?

Postby mojito » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:17 pm

I think ACL is better in Joomla. For basic sites there are amazing plugins like yoast seo as you may be aware for wordpress that creates canonical urls, I love jreviews and easyblog is amazing for joomla but I am leaning away from Joomla as I find so many problems trying to get memcached working for example and with wordpress stuff seems to just work easier and faster. The multisite that wordpress offers is pretty amazing. I am more experienced using joomla than wordpress but have found wordpress easier and a dream.
I also find that there was a login issue in joomla where every now and again a random user would get someone else username and password in the field and yes it allowed them to login. I was never able to solve that one though there is a good thread way back on that. It may well be fixed and for many this will never be an issue.

I am so grateful for Joomla and mambo I feel like an ass for dissing it but I now see from an seo perspective how the platform held me back at a critical point. Thats not the platforms fault. Wordpress just knew the importance and relevance of seo and built a more friendly platform to take that into account.

There may be some real bugbears in wordpress that I do not know about bear in mind so would like to get others opinions on that.

Wordpress vs Joomla Here- https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/wordpres ... lvin-crane
Check out the 'bad toilet' online !

gws
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Postby gws » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:56 pm

IMO Wordpress is no better at SEO than joomla all though more effort required, judging by the amount of spam that has url/wp-plugin/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx that redirects to a completely different site I believe that on the whole Joomla is more secure out of the box. My 2 cents worth.

FrancescoIT
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby FrancescoIT » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:00 pm

I have used Joomla for multiple sites. I think it is in terms of access level control and SEO is one of the best available. Also compared to pricing on other alternatives.

I have exerperienced a lot of SPAM bots and shady plugins on WP, which I believe requires more frequent updates of the base.

mojito
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Postby mojito » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:23 am

If you don't know what you are doing with menus and how they generate url's and the blog category layouts then you might struggle with duplicate content in a basic joomla website. Also you need to make the extra steps to get nice sef friendly url's. I am yet to find a good canonical plugin for joomla. I wish yoast would adapt their plugin for joomla.
Joomla is pretty awesome for many reasons of course, and the developers don't want to be concerned with seo per se.

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Why Joomla? Why are we having this discussion **again**?

Postby sozzled » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:48 pm

Lighting Dude wrote:The question has probably been asked a million times, but why do you use Joomla?
Yes, this question has been asked many times before and for those people who may be unaware of the many times that the question has been asked, here's a brief list:

Lighting Dude wrote:What are its strengths?
The answer you're looking for is in one or more of the places I've referred to above. The answer to the question depends, of course, on what you're looking for. You have not defined what you're actually seeking and, therefore, it's impossible to provide you with a specific answer.

Lighting Dude wrote:If you also use Wordpress, can you tell me why you choose to use Joomla? I'm currently using Wordpress, have previously used other things and am interested in Joomla.
I think the real question is why are you asking this question here? This is the Joomla forum and, of course, it's to be expected that there will be a certain bias towards using Joomla.

Our job is not to argue the case for using one CMS over another; that's for you decide and no-one else but you can make that decision. If you like Wordpress—if you're fluent with Wordpress (or with Drupal or with LEGO®)—then use whatever you're happiest with using. If you're "interested" in using Joomla then use it; try it out for yourself.

There's no way we'll ever be able to convince people to use Joomla if they don't actually try it out for themselves. These discussions don't actually serve any useful purpose (as I've argued elsewhere).

I hope that some of this information is helpful. 8)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

NguyetTrinh
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby NguyetTrinh » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:05 am

WP is often hacked and spammed. I think joomla is more secure than WP

mojito
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Postby mojito » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:29 am

All are susceptible to this, do you have any evidence to back this up or is this a hunch!

appplsingapore
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby appplsingapore » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Joomla is the second most popular CMS of the world after Wordpress.It’s powerful enough to run most websites without any problems, and it doesn’t require the same level of technical experience to run as Drupal either.

mjparadac
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby mjparadac » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Joomla is a powerful CMS, security is one of the strongest aspects it possesses, as well as the freedom to customize everything.
Joomla Community Ambassador for A2 Hosting | A2 Hosting - Our speed, your success | https://www.a2hosting.com/joomla-hosting?utm_campaign=grassroots&utm_medium=forum&utm_source=joomla.org

daywap02
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby daywap02 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:31 am

Hey guys,
I also have very similar question. The main idea is that I started to build my site on Prestashop and know I am not sure.. My friend recommended Joomla and I am not sure if Joomla right for e-commerce. Is Joomla good for e-commerce? :-[

[ redacted ]
Last edited by toivo on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: URL redacted

jonBuckner1
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Postby jonBuckner1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:48 am

@daywap02

Kinda depends on your skill level and why prestashop isn't for you and budget etc...

Plenty of people will be able to testify to Joomla being good buddies with e-commerce. Doesn't really help you tough.

bjsadmin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby bjsadmin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:22 am

Depends on personal opinion, seen most people recommending WordPress over blogs that we come across. Joomla has its own core value. WordPress makes their interface easy though - but I think Joomla is much more structured and helps organize the site in a systematic manner.

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby Gany » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:50 am

daywap02 wrote:Hey guys,
I also have very similar question. The main idea is that I started to build my site on Prestashop and know I am not sure.. My friend recommended Joomla and I am not sure if Joomla right for e-commerce. Is Joomla good for e-commerce? :-[

[ redacted ]

As good as any other system. Are you happy with Prestashop? If yes, why the change?
Prestashop is a shoppingcart with a website.
Joomla is a website with a shoppingcart.

Depending on what you want to sell, you can find good shoppingcarts for Joomla. Switching shoppingcarts, especially if you already have a substantial site, is not for the faint of heart.

Return to “The Lounge”