Share your Joomla usage information with the community

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Share your Joomla usage information with the community

Postby sozzled » Tue May 23, 2017 11:10 pm

As most people would know, the release of J! 3.5.0 arrived with a new plugin called the System - Joomla Statistics. For some people the "news" of this plugin was displayed as a kind of "hassle screen" on the Joomla Control Panel; the notification won't disappear unless you do one of two things: (a) disable the plugin or (b) set and save the Mode with one of the three options (viz. "Always Send", "Send Once" or "Never Send").

A screenshot of the plugin is shown below:

j3_usageStats_plugin.png

It's probably a reasonable bet that a lot of Joomla users disabled the plugin or set the Mode to "Send Once" or "Never Send". Why they might do that is their own business but it's also a reasonable bet that they were either (a) "fearful" that the information transmitted from their site to joomla.org might be a security risk or that it might generate a lot of traffic, or (b) they were ignorant as to how this information might be used. It's a pity that people, in their ignorance or "fear" didn't do their own research.

I wish the information about how many sites are using Joomla (and what PHP environments and databases it is being used with) had been collected for more than just the past fourteen months ... but that's just a matter of history. While we can only speculate how many sites are still using versions of Joomla pre-dating J! 3.5.0 (as a proportion of the total number of Joomla sites in existence around the world today), the information gathered by the System - Joomla Statistics plugin—insofar as it has been enabled where users are unconcerned about its effects—is very revealing.

The information tells us an interesting story about the uptake of Joomla since J! 3.5.0 was released. For those who take some interest in who's using Joomla, who's using the latest version of Joomla (and who's still yet to update their sites for over a year or more), who's using what version of PHP, etc. the data is summarised (in more-or-less "real time) in chart form at https://developer.joomla.org/about/stats.html.

See the screeshot below.
j3_usageStats.png

I understand that people will enable or disable the System - Joomla Statistics plugin as is their want—although it's not much use enabling the plugin if Joomla is installed in an operating environment that cannot connect to the internet—but I would encourage more people to share their experience with the community. It's not just the developers who may benefit (by knowing how well each version is being taken up); we all benefit, especially when we see the adoption of new versions overtaking those that have been around for a long time. This shows us that Joomla is alive and that people care about properly maintaining their websites ... before they ask us questions about old versions that most of us have long forgotten about.

Cheers 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Share your Joomla usage information with the community

Postby sozzled » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:38 pm

In the month since I wrote the earlier message, there's been an improvement in people sharing their information about what version(s) of Joomla they're using on their websites.
j3_usageStats0617.png

In the time since usage statistics were first kept (since J! 3.5.0), the distribution of Joomla usage breaks down roughly into:

Joomla version: J! 3.5 (27%), J! 3.6 (53%), J! 3.7 (19%)
PHP version: 5.3 (11%), 5.4 (15%), 5.5 (18%), 5.6 (40%), 7.0 (13%), 7.1 (<3%)
Database type: MySQLi (80%), MySQL (18%), MySQL (PDO) (<2%)

This information doesn't conclusively prove anything (although it's interesting to know that J! 3.7.2 has been downloaded more than 150,000 times and remembering that J! 3.7.2 was released only 5 weeks ago!) As I mentioned in my earlier forum post, it's highly probable that people have disables the plugin that provides this data to the reporting mechanism (perhaps even more than indicating that the takeup of J! 3.7 has been "less successful" than perhaps we would have liked to see). With the expectation that J! 3.8 is less than a month away, it would be nice to see people attending to any updating issues now, before there's a rush to ask for help with "why can't I update J! x.y to J! 3.8" questions on the forum.

The data does suggest that some people have made efforts to bring their sites up to date. I would encourage people reading this to consider providing the developers with feedback about what versions of software they're using; if nothing else, it's one way of saying "thank you" for their efforts. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:35 pm

Another month has passed (and another two new versions of Joomla were released) and the statistics page is showing that J! 3.7.x is creeping slowly ahead of the older versions in use today.

j3_usageStats0717.png

The breakdown figures are (roughly):

Joomla version: J! 3.5 (26%), J! 3.6 (40%), J! 3.7 (23%)
PHP version: 5.3 (11%), 5.4 (15%), 5.5 (18%), 5.6 (40%), 7.0 (14%), 7.1 (3%)
Database type: MySQLi (81%), MySQL (17%), MySQL (PDO) (<2%)

I can't explain the sharp drop (13%) in the use of J! 3.6 (compared to last month) but, perhaps, my arithmetic was wrong last month? :-[

The utilisation of PHP across each version hasn't changed much (except there's been a 1% increase in PHP 7.0). Arithmetical rounding errors, probably.

MySQLi continues to be the dominant database type and gained a 1% increase at the expense of the older MySQL.

J! 3.7.4 must be popular having been downloaded 47,000 times in the past week!

mbabker
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby mbabker » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:39 pm

sozzled wrote:The utilisation of PHP across each version hasn't changed much (except there's been a 1% increase in PHP 7.0). Arithmetical rounding errors, probably.

You aren't off. Since 3.7's release there has been a rather big swing on the use of PHP 7 versions and the number of PHP 5.5 and earlier versions has been on the decline, 5.6 has had a small decrease but it's really not a big change in general. At the 3.7 release date, I noted a 51/49 split of users on PHP 5.6 or later versus PHP 5.5 or earlier and today that is a 57/43 split.
Production Department Coordinator, Release Lead, CMS Maintainer, Framework Maintainer, Security Team Member, .org System Administrator

Manually updating Joomla? See https://gist.github.com/mbabker/d7bfb4e1e2fbc6b7815a733607f89281

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:43 pm

Another month [and a bit] has passed (and another new version of Joomla was released) and the statistics page shows small +4% trend towards J! 3.7.x in preference to earlier versions. There has also been a modest +2% "swing" towards PHP 7 but, overall, PHP 7 is still in the minority at present, accounting for about one in every six websites.

j3_usageStats0914.png

The breakdown figures are (roughly):

Joomla version: J! 3.5 (25%), J! 3.6 (47%), J! 3.7 (27%)
PHP version: 5.3 (10%), 5.4 (14%), 5.5 (17%), 5.6 (40%), 7.0 (15%), 7.1 (4%)
Database type: MySQLi (81%), MySQL (17%), MySQL (PDO) (<2%)

J! 3.7.5 installation packages have been downloaded 99,000 times in the last four weeks since its release. Perhaps if more people were willing to enable (or re-enable) the System - Joomla Statistics plugin we may see a different picture to the one(s) I've presented in this forum topic.

It's interesting to observe that J! 3.6.x—the last release of that series occurred nine months ago—accounts for roughly half of all websites represented in the data. I wouldn't know why that's the case. :pop

Return to “The Lounge”