UK Website Hosting

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
JAVesey
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

UK Website Hosting

Postby JAVesey » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:41 pm

I'm considering moving my website to a new hosting package early in the new year so looking about for alternatives to my current provider. UK website, vast majority of viewers from UK so want UK server.

I'm minded to go with Siteground. I'm considering one of their shared-hosting Linux solutions. Does anyone have experiences that they would care to share? I'm looking for speed, plus keeping things like PHP, MySQL/MySQLi, phpMyAdmin, etc reasonably up to date.

Any other recommended hosts?

I don't want to start a "mine's better than yours" type of thread, just a few shared experiences. Please either post below or message me if you prefer.

TIA
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK

gws
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: UK Website Hosting

Postby gws » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:26 pm

I have used a VPS from Smart hosting for some time with no problems.

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:35 pm

@gws: John wrote that he's not interested in VPS. He wrote
JAVesey wrote:I'm minded to go with Siteground. I'm considering one of their shared-hosting Linux solutions.

@JAVesey: This will be my first and last foray into this discussion: for the same reasons as you fear, discussions like these usually degenerate into a mine-is-better-than-yours endless round of comparisons. As soon as you wrote "Any other recommended hosts?", you opened the floodgates on that.

When it comes to selecting a good webhosting provider for my needs, I have a fairly simple approach:

1) Like you, will the hosting provider provide me value for money while, at the same time, maintaining "core software" like Apache, MySQL and PHP updated within a reasonable amount of time both in order to (and in preparation for) the latest stable release of Joomla.

(A short story that's related to this. Some years ago, before J! 1.6 had been released and I became aware that the technical requirements to host J! 1.6 required an upgrade of the PHP by my hosting provider at the time, I enquired of my webhost "When are you planning to update PHP?" Their reply was "We don't know but it's possibly not going to be for another 6-12 months." My response was quite simple: even though I had about another 6 months left on contract with that webhosting provider, I went to another provider, opened an account and I got a everything I needed plus a lot more ... for less money.)

2) It depends on what you want but—obviously—budget will be a major determinant. If you have heard good things about Siteground, if you can afford Siteground, then go with Siteground.

3) I like to know that, in the event of my webcraft-work going pear-shaped, I can pick up the telephone and talk with someone. I choose to use a webhosting provider that has a "local presence" (i.e. they have a help desk that's located in the same country where I live). Even though the hosting provider's servers are physically located some 15,000 kms from where I live, the service is what's important.

If Siteground can provide you with that service then go with Siteground.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

gws
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Postby gws » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:49 pm

@ sozzled like most providers they offer shared hosting too. My experience with them is VPS and I have had no problems with them, I Think it is reasonable to expect the same from their shared hosting,maybe I am wrong? I have no interest in Smart hosting other than using them. They are owned by Krystal whom I have had shared hosting and reseller hosting with again with no problems, so I can recommend them from experience. Thats all.

webhostuk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Postby webhostuk » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:33 am

In shared hosting just make sure you go for SSD Web hosting provider, this will increase your website performance to a great extent also check if the servers of your new provider are optimized for joomla hosting. what problem you are facing with present host , is it to do with website downtime or performance?
https://www.webhost.uk.net/joomla-hosting.html | Best UK Joomla Hosting!
http://www.webhost.US.Com | Best US Joomla Hosting
One click auto installer for Joomla

JAVesey
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby JAVesey » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:51 pm

webhostuk wrote:what problem you are facing with present host , is it to do with website downtime or performance?
No problems as such; site performing really well and really quick to be served. Generally, I've been very happy with my current hosting. My issue is that the hosting company doesn't update its server environment, i.e. PHP, phpmyAdmin, etc., and I'm stuck on PHP5.6.x unless I take out a new plan with them and move to a more recent server installation. Joomla 4 is coming...

I'm thinking about Siteground because they have UK-located SSD servers, etc. Overall, over time, moving my hosting to them would be more-or-less cost-neutral. I just want to make sure that their shared hosting is as good/quick as it sounds like it might be.

Any shared experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks for getting back to me.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK

Return to “The Lounge”