Safe to allow FTP full access to unknown developers?

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
bulgin
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Safe to allow FTP full access to unknown developers?

Post by bulgin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:30 am

I am trying to get a template to work and as I review the developer's forum for some of the common issues, I notice that the first response from the developer is to allow full ftp access even before suggesting changes that the admin can make.

I'm pretty adept at working with .css files, directories, etc. and explained that to the developer, but they insist they need full FTP access.

Is this considered normal? Couldn't some malicious software get installed? Or some other nefarious things happen with FULL access?

This is a Centos version 6 VPS server running the most recent version of Joomla.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by imanickam on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum Administration Joomla! 3.x to the forum The Lounge

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Safe to allow FTP full access to unknown developers?

Post by sozzled » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:45 am

@bulgin: I have several problems with this topic because of the way it's written.

1) I think your claims that "developers" (in the majority of cases) require any access to change data on other people's websites are vastly overrated. I, for one, never require not request backend access to another person's website unless we have a contract and I'm being paid for that service. I have not seen this sort of behaviour here on the Joomla forum. If you are aware of people soliciting this kind of access then I think you should report it to the forum moderators.

2) It is not a matter for me or any other member of this community to tell you what is "normal" business practice or not. I would not, personally, allow someone I didn't know to have any backend/FTP access to any of my sites. You do what you want to do, of course.

3) it depends on what needs to be fixed with a problem site template. I don't spend my time fixing broken templates by replacing files via FTP. I do fix styling problems with CSS. You don't need FTP access to change CSS files.

4) If a template is hopelessly broken and the creator of that template can't provide me with an update to fix these problems, it's much cheaper to replace the template with another one.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

creativesights
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by creativesights » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:59 am

Generally, I concur. However, if you've paid money to this template company and if it's a well established company, you may consider creating a limited use FTP account that you can give to them and then deactivate it when they're done.

FTP access isn't something you should be giving out lightly.

Although you don't have to have it, I use FTP for editing files because it's faster and as I'm being paid for my time, I generally feel it's my responsibility to get things done as quickly and as properly as possible.
Andrew Crossan
CreativeSights
Professional Custom Website Design & Development in San Diego
https://www.creativesights.com

pelister
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pelister » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:02 am

As long as you trust the developer, giving FTP access is not a problem, I have seen people giving ftp access to work on their sites., also there is no other way when only FTP access is the only way to solve a problem.

jonnybhoy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jonnybhoy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:55 pm

It's a tricky one. I previously used a web guy who turned out to be a black-hat b***ard and not to be trusted, over time I realised the claims he made and targets he set were bull. Other web guys have been decent and honorable, but not sure I would trust someone other than my web hosting company, unless I had dealt with them for a long time and felt they had earned my trust.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Give the dev the template files to work on. Then if you can't install the the finished product the dev will need full ftp and Joomla access.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

jonnybhoy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jonnybhoy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:45 pm

Great tip, thanks. Just need to find me a dev for getting Joomla up and running!

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:53 pm

http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

jonnybhoy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jonnybhoy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:55 pm

Thank you for the link, I appreciate your help.

Return to “The Lounge”