What, I wonder, holds back the 'new to Joomla' numbers

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
dznph3
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

What, I wonder, holds back the 'new to Joomla' numbers

Post by dznph3 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:30 pm

I manage a number of sites on a VPS, most of them Joomla (my preference). When my clients log into the administration provided for them, they all see a prominent Wordpress Toolkit - which comes 'free' with my web host subscription. But the corresponding Joomla Toolkit costs money, so my customers do not have this matching tool.

Not sure who in Joomla Inc should be asked this question: What could possibly be wrong with this picture?
Last edited by imanickam on Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x to the forum The Lounge

annahersh
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: What, I wonder, holds back the 'new to Joomla' numbers

Post by annahersh » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:51 pm

Lose the "free loader" mind set and be about business. If you are serious about SELLING your services for profit, be equally mindful about the developer of the script you want, and pay for it.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:52 pm

You have a VPS or someone else has a VPS and your are doing the websites?
Either you or your provider disable the WP toolkit and not install anything else also.

It is a bad idea anyway to use these installers... WP or Joomla.. doesn't matter.. the toolkits usually are behind on updates and upgrades and sometimes even come with hostingingparty cr4p that may be in conflict with extensions, templates and such...

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:01 pm

what "toolkit"?
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:55 pm

My host's cPanel has a couple of icons labelled "Joomla Toolkit" and "Wordpress Toolkit" - not prominent as the OP suggests, and I'm just using cPanel not WHM and on shared not VPS.

The toolkit(s) enables are a set of admin functions for Joomla such as as one-click install, admin password change, Joomla core update, site backups, move site between folders. Obviously there's better ways to do all those things.

I think for my host, these are in-house developed tools, and not standard cPanel functions and are designed for beginners who don't possess or want to worry about the rudimentary server or site admin requirements of maintaining a website beyond maintaining the site content.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:12 am

The usual I find in the various admin panels is installatron scripts.

The danger is in the fact that the buttons can be pushed without real thinking. Killing an existing site.

Even though I prefer not to have these tools in my hosting, hostingcompanies offering the installatron scripts can have J! for free as far as I know. The installatron itself does cost money.

There are of course other script providers..

I'd say have it disabled and invest 3 more minutes in installing any cms, preferrable J!

Return to “The Lounge”