Hosting - price policy and renewal

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
sgiobbio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Hosting - price policy and renewal

Post by sgiobbio » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:32 pm

I have a question on the topic of "Hosting", which I am posting here because there is no proper section dedicated to it.
I hope that one of you webmasters is willing to make a suggestion.

I use for my hosting an excellent American provider, present with its servers also in Europe, whose pricing policy consists of a huge "entry discount" that resets to zero at the renewal.
To put it in a nutshell, it goes from about $130 for a three year period at entry to about $600 for the three year period after renewal.
Obviously, I will not be renewing and have already identified some very interesting alternatives.
My domains are decentralized on Google Domain, so there is nothing to transfer, only the DNS to point to the new hosting, plus Cloudflare is active.

Having said all that, I thought there might be a way to stay with the old hosting. This:

1) purchasing (also in my name) a new three-year web space at a super-discounted introductory rate
2) at the time of purchase, designate as the main domain not the one that is now the main one, but one of the others that are currently hosted (thus "bypassing" the only "pole" that exists at the time of purchase)
3) personally arranging for the manual transfer of my websites from one web space to the other
4) Closing down the old web space upon completion.

Would you consider this an unfair practice?
Would it work?

Thanks for those who would like to give me their opinion ....
Last edited by imanickam on Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic » from General Questions/New to Joomla! 5.x to The Lounge

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Hosting - price policy and renewal

Post by AMurray » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:11 pm

Seems pretty standard practice to me.

I did a similar thing. My old web host did not support Joomla 5 minimum requirements, so I transferred my hosting from my old web host to a new one that did support Joomla 5, and for a cheaper price too.

I'm sure people switching hosts happens all the time. In my view, it's "healthy competition".
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:18 pm

AMurray wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:11 pm
I did a similar thing. My old web host did not support Joomla 5 minimum requirements, so I transferred my hosting from my old web host to a new one that did support Joomla 5, and for a cheaper price too.

I'm sure people switching hosts happens all the time. In my view, it's "healthy competition".
Agreed. Signed up for a 4-year deal with new hosting company (which supports J5, the old one didn't) for ~40% of the price of 1 year with the original company (which I'd been with for 6 years). Got more resources too.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.1.0 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7
Joomla 5.1.0 on XAMMP for OSX with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:15 am

To stay on the same Hosting and act as a new customer would be difficult. They have your name and address and email and payment details (possibly even your phone number). They will will probably not treat you as a new customer. In any case I suggest the first thing you do is create a backup with Akeeba, save it, and test it on localhost.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

sgiobbio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sgiobbio » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:01 am

Thank you for the replies so far but I would like to focus on staying with the same Provider by taking advantage of its new entry superbonus offer, not on changing it.
Of course, Webdongle, I have full copies of my sites in localhost (with laragon).
I am ready to change hosting, but what I am asking in the topic is whether in your opinion the procedure I have described in detail to stay with the old hosting by taking advantage of its superbonus entry rates could work.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:26 am

Try it and see....

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:35 am

sgiobbio wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:01 am
...but what I am asking in the topic is whether in your opinion the procedure I have described in detail to stay with the old hosting by taking advantage of its superbonus entry rates could work.
Try contacting their sales team. Tell them you're thinking of leaving due to the price and ask if there's anything they can do to help you. You might be surprised.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.1.0 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7
Joomla 5.1.0 on XAMMP for OSX with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28

sgiobbio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sgiobbio » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:50 am

JAVesey, what you're suggesting is one of the things that I've been thinking about and will certainly try to do.

Return to “The Lounge”