Open Source Drupal Goes Commercial With Acquia

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
xos

Open Source Drupal Goes Commercial With Acquia

Post by xos » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:41 am

Last edited by xos on Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Open Source Drupal Goes Commercial With Acquia

Post by brad » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:18 am

Feel free to link to the articles directly, but not to articles on your own site.
Thanks.

muddauber
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by muddauber » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:00 pm

Here's a good article in eWeek on the open source projects and Drupal.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Enterprise-App ... ource-CMS/

With more and more eyes on CMS projects, it a matter of time before the
Joomla project has to review the options and benefits of offering a
commercial product with support, etc.

There already is some businesses offering FULL hosting, development and
support using Joomla, but not at the level of having major venture capital for
support of an open source CMS.

Dries Buytaert developed Drupal, and upon completing his doctoral thesis launched Acquia,
a commercial version, including venture capital partners, who have put in $7 million.

Some say trying to manage relations between a commercial project
and a community project could ruin Drupal.

Two good articles I've found. (there are now hundreds of rewrites of this news on the net)

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2199

The article notes they plan on creating a full install package and support
a limited number of modules in the commercial version.
http://www.techworld.com/applications/n ... wsid=11594

I can see this only as a good thing for Drupal users and developers. As for
Joomla going commercial, the jury is still out.

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rogue4ngel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:45 pm

Sounds to me like they are just making a build with a 'static' set of extensions and they will let you pay for support.

I don't know... sounds like it's going to open a can of worms to me.
If you're not a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:04 am

Commercial, yes, but all of it is freely available GPL software. Bundled into helpful distributions. Locked behind a gated community.

One need not pay to download this software.

So, why would anyone pay?

Maybe it's the collective knowledge, experience and support then available? Maybe having access to those resources speeds progress? Maybe developers have value beyond the initial code written?

Free choice. Gotta love it! No one has to be left behind. But, if you want help and are willing to compensate people for their time, it can be made available to you.

Lots of people worrying about Acquia. My only concern is that they be successful and show others how to do it.

Dries Buytaert has assembled a stellar team and I wish them nothing but good luck!

Amy :)

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rogue4ngel » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:59 am

Well.. I suppose when you think about it... this may be new to CMS... but not new to FOSS... I mean... what's Red Hat? Same concept.
If you're not a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:15 am

MySQL Enterprise, too, as of this past summer. :-) The really cool thing about free (liberty) software - to me - is how many can still participate *absent* financial means. I value that.

xos

Post by xos » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:37 am

muddauber wrote:With more and more eyes on CMS projects, it a matter of time before the
Joomla project has to review the options and benefits of offering a
commercial product with support, etc.

I can see this only as a good thing for Drupal users and developers. As for
Joomla going commercial, the jury is still out.
This is an old thread, but curiously enough I got today a report that back in April, Joomla was working on selling to a supposedly big company. This is 6 months ago.

Community work should not be for sale, but that is my opinion.

I wonder how true this report is?

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:28 am

xos wrote:
muddauber wrote: I wonder how true this report is?
100% untrue. You should know better than to listen to rumors ;) Next time, just ask. Joomla is not, and for that matter, can't be sold.

PS there is this newer thread running here: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=330292

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:00 pm

I don't even know what it would mean for "Joomla" to be "for sale." I mean, tons of people and companies sell copies of Joomla and that's fine; the GPL lets you do that. Even more people make money providing products and services for Joomla; that's a wonderful thing also made possible by the GPL. I can't imagine any other context in which such a statement would even have any meaning.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

xos

Post by xos » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:20 pm

brad wrote: 100% untrue. You should know better than to listen to rumors ;) Next time, just ask. Joomla is not, and for that matter, can't be sold.
Oh it's not a rumor, it's a conversation that was emailed to me. A conversation about the sale of Joomla.

I don't know what to think of it but it would be very sad and devastating to the project if indeed you people sold it. Profit from community work is disgusting.

You say Joomla can't be sold? How's that? Why can't Joomla be sold?

LorenzoG
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by LorenzoG » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:03 pm

xos wrote:
brad wrote: 100% untrue. You should know better than to listen to rumors ;) Next time, just ask. Joomla is not, and for that matter, can't be sold.
Oh it's not a rumor, it's a conversation that was emailed to me. A conversation about the sale of Joomla.

I don't know what to think of it but it would be very sad and devastating to the project if indeed you people sold it. Profit from community work is disgusting.

You say Joomla can't be sold? How's that? Why can't Joomla be sold?
The Drupal and the Joomla ownership of the trademark and assets are different structured.

Yes, it's only a rumour since it hasn't a scrap of truth. The Joomla! project can't be sold. Because.. Who should then get the money? It isn't any individual who owns it. Joomla! is a community effort there the are a lot of members and WG members put a lot of efforts and time in the project for free including myself.
xos wrote:I don't know what to think of it but it would be very sad and devastating to the project if indeed you people sold it. Profit from community work is disgusting.
If it was true, I would be first to agree with you.

Please, select your sources better so you not form a part to spread malicious rumours. Both Brad who is a Core Member and Elin who is the President of OSM have already disown the rumour. What more do you need? Thanks!

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:28 pm

Having served as president of the OSM board and president of OSM since February 2007 I can tell you with 100% certainty that no discussion about sale of any of OSM's assets--which are the assets of the Joomla Project-- has ever taken place in that time.

The idea that Joomla could be "sold" is nonsensical. There is no company, so there is no company to be sold. (This is in contrast to MySQL AB, mentioned above, which was a privately held company.) How would "joomla" be sold? The most valuable assets of Joomla are the good will it has built and its incredible community of contributors, and money cannot buy those. And of course there is the codebase, which is free in all senses of the word if you get it from the joomla sites (though someone else could charge you for it). The only salable assets of the Joomla! project consist of the copyrights, trademarks, and domain names. Are those things the Joomla Project? No. Even so. these are owned not by any individuals but by a non profit organization chartered in the state of New York, US. That means that there are strict rules about what can happen to the assets and that sale for the benefit of any individual is not possible. The people who started the Joomla project were thoughtful in how they set this up and it has worked out very well in terms of protecting the community.

Perhaps you misunderstood or the person who sent it to you intentionally or unintentionally took it out of context. Maybe whoever it was you was speaking of selling a distribution of Joomla, which is totally fine under the GPL but has nothing to do with the Joomla project. Or maybe they were speaking of "selling" Joomla as an application for a large company to use.

People should also be very careful in their understanding of what Acquia is and is not. Drupal was not sold. Acquia does not own Drupal, it's a service company just like hundreds of such companies in the Drupal and Joomla ecosystems. It just happens to have a famous CTO with great knowledge of the Drupal codebase.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:20 pm

xos wrote: Oh it's not a rumor, it's a conversation that was emailed to me. A conversation about the sale of Joomla.
Hoax emails/chat logs are pretty common these days. Some can look pretty convincing, others are easy to spot but these do come around with regular monotony. I would say given the improbable nature of the claims you've been taken for a ride and someone is having a good belly laugh at your expense. Read up on Occam's razor - it might help you with your discernment of these things in future.

Ironically this article came up on the iGoogle desktop for me today. Was a bit of a worry because I actually saw a UFO in the picture ... gulp.
Andrew Eddie - Tweet @AndrewEddie
<><
http://eddify.me
http://www.kiva.org/team/joomla - Got Joomla for free? Pay it forward and help fight poverty.

lovedams
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lovedams » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:53 am

so no diffrence in acquia and drupal ?( maybe just a support system ) its just bundles the components and etc forum drupal . oh i see,, :D
visit indonesia 2008 - bali .
" This place is heaven ! " - Tourist
fave.bncc.net proud member .
" olny 6 persons from all student in binus university "

hazman

Post by hazman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:47 am

It's a mess Andrew.

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dizzi » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:48 am

masterchief wrote: Ironically this article came up on the iGoogle desktop for me today. Was a bit of a worry because I actually saw a UFO in the picture ... gulp.
Hysterical ha ha :D, nothing like a bit of humour to lighten up the mood :).

:D
Freedom of expression ... some may try to suppress it but they can never take it away ...
There is no problem a good miracle can't fix.

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by willebil » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:48 pm

Elin, Brad, Lorenzo and others have explained that the way Joomla! is organized is very different from Drupal. As explained there is no company and it cannot be sold. Imagine that Drupal is taken over by Aquia, GPL gives the power to the community to fork whenever it is needed...don't think that's the masterplan of the company that Dries has set up. For sure this never is the masterplan of the people involved within Joomla! History has shown that this happens, remember why we forked from Mambo and moved to Joomla!
hazman wrote:It's a mess Andrew.
Anyway, not sure what you are trying to prove here, suggest we focus on more important things then responding to gossip. Let's write code!

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:04 pm

In my opinion it is terrible that someone seems to be passing around excerpts from someone's chat logs with the seeming purpose of embarrassing the person doing the talking. I would not allow that chat posted on a forum I managed unless I had the permission of the person involved.

I will say that having now seen the talk that it had nothing to do with Joomla and everything to do with drama inside a competitor project. Even assuming that it represents an actual chat, that one person connected with a Joomla competitor may have said that another person connected with a Joomla competitor said that Joomla had been sold is not exactly what I would call reliable sourcing.

Actually this whole thread really seems to be about drama inside other projects doesn't it? Maybe we can put it to rest now.

hazman

Post by hazman » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:07 am

Drupal is under what License?

hazman

Post by hazman » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:09 am

Good mods you got here.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:48 am

hazman wrote:Good mods you got here.
Thanks for the compliment. They do a great job, I agree!

.. now let me delete your double post.

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:50 am

hazman wrote:Drupal is under what License?
Best find that out from their own site:
http://cvs.drupal.org/viewvc.py/drupal/ ... iew=markup
http://api.drupal.org/api/file/LICENSE.txt
<><
http://www.kiva.org/team/joomla - Got Joomla for free? Pay it forward and help fight poverty.

hazman

Post by hazman » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:24 am

Andrew Eddie wiil get rid of all you!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:59 am

On November 6, 2005, I joined the Joomla! community when I got an ID in the forums and began asking questions and using the software. I was coaching my daughter's high school web development team and they had high hopes and big dreams for their site. I knew I needed to find them something that would help them easily build a dynamic web site - without having to learn about loops and if statements and databases.

I came in through the same gateway to open source CMS's many people used and I narrowed the choices to Mambo and Joomla!. I read about how Joomla! started and I just about picked Mambo because no matter how noble and brave these developers were who started this project, I needed to protect my interests and "going with the money" is a far safer bet than following some group of dreamers with high hopes for keeping a code base free.

Then, it dawned on me, every single one of them left in unison and they were the ones responsible for the code, the documentation, the community support, getting the word out, the lifeblood. I had so much respect for that, knowing what a strong team means to me, that I knew Joomla! was the right choice for me.

Seems like a long time ago. We've been through a lot in these three years as a community - much of which has honestly not been a lot of fun. For me, being a small part of helping get 1.5 released was one of the big joys I will never forget in my life. Being a working member of this community is an honor.

Hazeman - I really do not know you. I remember your appearances in the forums over the past three years. When the project started, those appearances were always very negative and you drew a lot of attention. Later, you seemed to join us and were active helping people in the forums and sharing a few templates. Now, you seem back to thinking the sky is falling.

It's hard, sometimes, committing to a community. There have been several times I have thought it's time to walk away. I never worry about Joomla!, though. It's in good hands. People will come and people will go and some will return and some will move on but Joomla! is free, as in liberty, and it's there for whomever wants it - for whatever purpose they see fit - provided they respect the license.

That's true for Drupal, as well. And for any other software that is licensed with the GPL and other free software licenses, as well. Dries and countless others, have committed years and years to that project. Community is what drives innovation and a project's future. If Dries were to sell his trademark, well, more power to him. He does not own that community he helped to cultivate and, trust me, he knows they are what matters.

If you don't believe that - that's okay - but I am confident in both of these projects.

In the time I have been in this community, I have been very involved. I know who people are and I know how people tend to communicate, what they deliver in terms of output, and how they behave. It's ridiculous that I feel compelled to say this, but I stand behind these people - they are good, sincere, honest, hard working, steadfast, true, dedicated, considerate, decent human beings and I trust them, I care for them, and I respect them.

I am, however, going to start selling t-shirts that "Andrew Eddie is going to get rid of you." because the thought of someone who has been consistently "the gentleman" of the Joomla! project doing this is hilarious. I think I might make some money.

No one has to contribute to this project to get their very own free copy of Joomla!. But, it would really rock if people didn't make themselves difficult and suck the fun out of giving. People may not realize that these types of things are hurtful and it's very disappointing to see adults who benefit from the intelligence and generosity of these contributors stoop so low.

If you don't believe in us, that's okay. We are not a good fit for everyone. But, try to find a community you can invest yourself in. I highly recommend it.
Amy

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:07 am

AmyStephen wrote:I am, however, going to start selling t-shirts that "Andrew Eddie is going to get rid of you."
Can I get mine autographed :) Wait, I could *sell* autographs. Oh man, Amy, we're on a winner here.

/me ducks and looks around for the off-topic police ...
<><

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:45 am

hazman wrote:Andrew Eddie wiil get rid of all you!
He can't get rid of me, Joomla! is mine! .. and yours.. and his.. and hers...

mmmuuuhhhhaaaaaaahaha

/me goes off to print some "Joomla! is mine" t-shirts...
Actually.. that might be a great idea..

HarryB
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by HarryB » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:32 am

Hi there Hazman...

Long time no see...glad you are back and that you have not lost your ability to "Win Friends and Influence People!"
If you need a helping hand, use the one at the end of your own arm.
www.hrpr.com

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by willebil » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:10 pm

I cannot find that shirt in the shop, can anyone point me to it? If it is not printed yet, can I suggest to print the GPL on the back, would really appreciate if you can sign mine Andrew, would that be possible?

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:59 am

Locking to avoid spam on very old topic
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Return to “The Lounge”