Cloud computing and Joomla?

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Cloud computing and Joomla?

Post by darb » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:55 pm

I just wonder for small and medium sized companies and private persons how Joomla will stand out against SaaS and cloud computing solutions of different services?

You only need an client and an Internet access to gain access to a virtual computer with installed services/software. And this is not focused just for private persons.

What can we learn and what make Joomla better than those services in future?

There will be a lot of services focusing on serving those segments of the market. Just to give one example of service there is many coming for different users and companies. http://icloud.com/en/

So start the discussion how we can make Joomla work with those services!

What you think? ???
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Cloud computing and Joomla?

Post by toivo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Cloud computing is here to stay. Last year I wrote a Joomla component to look up account information from the Salesforce CRM database in real time.

Some companies prefer to maintain a local copy of their cloud database which improves both the response times and availability.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:18 pm

I would like to see also more integration for Joomla with other apps maybe using Jitterbit.

This is a webinar now 14th April for Salesforce and Jitterbit integration Integrating Salesforce.com with Cloud and On-Premise Systems‏

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/825263201

For speed Icloud have the fastest Content Delivery Network (CDN) in the world "Akamai" so speed will not be a problem world wide! .."distributed over 25 000 high efficiency servers all over the world" Its just amazing how fast these kind of paradigm shifts going now this had not been possible just 3-4 years ago.
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!

Darb - aka ssnobben

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:37 am

Here is a presentation I gave last year about connecting to SalesForce by using PHP, including some examples of the SOQL query language: http://www.slideshare.net/toivo.talikka ... n-with-php

vandy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vandy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:43 am

What is cloud computing & how is it related to Joomla?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:38 pm

GIYF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing
Basically, using servers and databases as a service provided across the internet. No need to purchase and maintain servers or retain highly qualified IS staff :(

Components written for Joomla can easily consume services published in the cloud computing environment. Highly qualified IS staff needs to adapt to the new environment, otherwise they will go the way the mainframes did.

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:24 pm

Joomla sites and codes could be replaced by a cloud computing services where end users have all the similar services (Joomla code and 3pds add ons) in one place and reached everywhere from Internet wire and wireless (4 g 100 MBIT access). Buying IT services like buying electricity from different big on-line players.

Worst case scenario: Making Joomla obsolete for Joomla maintainers, users and Joomla developers in near future.

End.

Good for Microsoft, Google et al and other big players that make package to different users, companies and consumer groups.

Darb - aka ssnobben

onlive business
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by onlive business » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:25 pm

Don't forget Joomla is constantly upgrading, so I don't think there will be many issues once Cloud computing is a main stay.
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:09 pm

onlive business wrote:Don't forget Joomla is constantly upgrading, so I don't think there will be many issues once Cloud computing is a main stay.
Constantly upgrading is not the issue and factor.

The only issues before, 3-5 years ago to solve this Sun Microsystem vision, was bandwidth and access limitations.

Today its not any problem with cheap secure fast 100 mbit wire and 150 mbit wireless connection for an end user. Also storage, memory, cpu power and open source application integrations is playing important roles even for companies like Google when setting up this kind of new infrastructure for global mass services.

My guess is that it will not be many of those cms systems out there that will have a market for general content services, email systems and other similar content systems. Google will have a revenue model like now selling their ads into all those vertical content systems like they try today with mobile systems. And Google know what works and are not alone.

Darb - aka ssnobben

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:00 am

If you are a linked in member you can discuss this there too. One post say.....

Read the Wave on the wall: the days of the CMS are over, or at least what CMS has meant so far. CMSes like Joomla, to most of their users, are a huge chore to set up and maintain compared to signing into google and using software you never have to worry about.

By
Dan Knauss Information Technology and Services Consultant and Contractor; sole proprietor New Local Media

Discussion link: http://www.linkedin.com/newsArticle?vie ... gJt7dBpSBA

So why don't we discuss this important matter for Joomla future more here? Am I stupid or Joomla community? Dont you see this as a threat or a opportunity?

Darb - aka ssnobben

MrRoyce
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by MrRoyce » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:45 pm

Not sure if it is cool to reopen this old thread, but...

I am wondering if anyone has successfully installed and ran J! in a cloud environment (e.g. Amazon S3, etc). Right now I have an application that gets huge spikes in traffic at regular intervals which blows our traditional hosted dedicated server out of the water. I'm wondering if an on-demand (with extra server cpu capacity available as needed) type setup would be beneficial.

Cloudways
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Cloudways » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:58 am

I believe Joomla and Cloud has a long way to go together. Its the first time that we have launched Managed Cloud Services for Joomla.

http://www.cloudways.com/en/joomla-cloud.php

See if that makes sense for you MrRoyce. I think we can offer you a solution to handle those traffic spikes and maximize service level to 99.99%

I doubt Joomla has any end coming. There are people working on integrating and getting the joomla work on cloud, rather than making this great CMS obsolete. This post is old so by now, we must have realized, we are not any where near to Joomla end due to cloud computing.

AaronFinch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AaronFinch » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:08 am

Google will have a revenue model like now selling their ads into all those vertical content systems like they try today with mobile systems.

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:19 am

Well its good that Joomla v 2.5 will come out with a new better search system "Finder" that index a Joomla site and then it would be good too if AdSystems like AdAgency could make similar system like Google adsense with Joomla "Finder".

Then CMS systems like Joomla is not dependent on Google ads and Google search for their personal content web systems.

http://adagency.ijoomla.com/

BTW, is Google allowed to store all sites and present their search results from them with ads?

Most sites have a copyright protection and what Google does is to store/take those pages and present them in their own site (domain google.com) with ads.

Is this permitted world wide to use other sites/info without permission from the owner of the sites?

Darb - aka ssnobben

Return to “The Lounge”