Drupal Vs Joomla (where Joomla Fails and Major Drawbacks: A discussion )

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Drupal Vs Joomla (where Joomla Fails and Major Drawbacks: A discussion )

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:40 pm

arlen wrote: While I'd stop short of "great" I'd certainly go along with "one of the best". Unfortunately, all that attitude seems to get me around here is attacked. Thanks for understanding.
Arlen -

My apologies. I am sincerely sorry to be a part of what you perceive as attacking. Making you feel unwelcome is not my goal.

The truth is, we all know Joomla! has many challenges. I don't see this as "best" or "better" or even "really good", anymore. Joomla! will never be "done." I see our challenges as opportunities to participate and belong. I think it is important when deciding which open source software to use that one focuses on choosing a community where they are willing to invest time to make improvements they believe are necessary.

Drupal has a fabulous and active community. I have been honored to get to know a few of these people during the past year and some of the accomplishments they have made are impressive! Joomla! has an amazing group of people who actively participate in bringing improvements to this project. I am honored to have many who I can call friends in the Joomla! community. Some of these people are amongst the brightest people I believe I have ever been honored to know.

If you are trying to decide between Drupal and Joomla!, I encourage you to observe these communities and see if there is an area you believe your gifts could plug-in nicely. That's likely where you should be. Don't try to pick "the best software." The software is evolving - and the community is what powers that growth. So, go where you believe you can become a part of making decisions about the project's future. I am not talking about oversight boards or voting, either. In a volunteer based organization, that structure is antiquated since volunteers are free. I am talking about decisions made through action, the kind of action that comes from observing a problem, responding to the challenge to fix it, and sharing the results with the community.

Thanks,
Amy :)

arlen
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by arlen » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:25 pm

AmyStephen wrote:
arlen wrote: While I'd stop short of "great" I'd certainly go along with "one of the best". Unfortunately, all that attitude seems to get me around here is attacked. Thanks for understanding.
My apologies. I am sincerely sorry to be a part of what you perceive as attacking. Making you feel unwelcome is not my goal.
Here's our disconnect, Amy: I figured the fact that I'm here at all should mean something. I'm a busy man. I've not been an active poster because I've been too busy putting food on the table, but I'm in a slack time at the moment, so the posting has picked up. You and some others seem to think that my spending time on these forums is meaningless by itself. My perception is that because I don't think Joomla is the greatest invention since sliced bread, because I see problems in it and am candid about those problems, I'm considered a good-for-nothing lazy bum. All because I can't fix those problems with a few minutes worth of my brilliant coding, and because the writer hasn't happened across anything I've written. I haven't seen a wildebeast, either, but I accept they exist. I've been out and about in the digital world since the days Apple was running a BBS out of its corporate basement ("The Mousehole"). If I haven't left any tracks recently, it's because I've been busy.
AmyStephen wrote: If you are trying to decide between Drupal and Joomla!, I encourage you to observe these communities and see if there is an area you believe your gifts could plug-in nicely. That's likely where you should be. Don't try to pick "the best software." The software is evolving - and the community is what powers that growth. So, go where you believe you can become a part of making decisions about the project's future. I am not talking about oversight boards or voting, either. In a volunteer based organization, that structure is antiquated since volunteers are free. I am talking about decisions made through action, the kind of action that comes from observing a problem, responding to the challenge to fix it, and sharing the results with the community.
1) Not looking to make a choice. I'm a professional; I can't afford to be a fanboy of any particular system, hardware or software. There's a task a friend had to do back in the 70's that pretty much defines "professional" for me: He was asked to write an MS-DOS emulator on a Burroughs mainframe, in COBOL. Professionals deliver what the client wants and needs, not what they themselves want to work with. If we're lucky, they coincide; if we're both lucky and good, we can afford to decline the assignment when they don't. I routinely work in Drupal, Joomla, and WordPress, and I'll pick up others along the way when necessary.

2) I've already made my opinion of the state of CMS's abundantly clear (both OS and commercial) so it should be clear I'm not looking for great software. I've come to agree with the Rails philosophy that even a suboptimal choice is good, so long as it will do the job (The "wide language/narrow framework" idea) because it makes one less analysis I need to perform. I'm familiar enough with three different tools to have written patches and extensions for all three, when both necessary and feasible, and will continue to do so.

3) I won't "fit in" here, at least not any better nor any worse than anywhere else. It's not about fitting it. It's about getting the work done. For relaxation and enjoyment, I have chess, not PHP. ;)

Don't expect me to "drink the Kool-Aid" (http://www.userland.com/whatIsKoolAid) that's all. I'll continue to be frank about the problems. If I've the time, I'll fix them. (Back before the fork, I tossed a couple of quick fixes at the Mambo dev team. No idea if they were used; nobody told me they were and I haven't been interested enough to look for them.) But don't expect me to fix all the problems I find. I certainly lack the time, and for some I'm also sure I lack the skill.

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:31 pm

No one has asked you to drink anything friend.  :)

Be frank about problems.  That is welcome.  Please also be respectful and considerate.
Co-author of the Official Joomla! Book http://officialjoomlabook.com
Marpo Multimedia http://marpomultimedia.com

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:42 pm

Arlen -

Again, my apologies for being a part of you feeling unwelcome. You are welcome here. Know as you comment, though, that you are inviting response and that not everyone will agree. But, don't take that to mean you are under attack and I caution against suggesting what others "think." If you ever want to know what I think, just ask. I'm not shy.

My comments about considering community were an attempt to move back to the topic - this is a thread comparing Drupal and Joomla! - I suggested considering community as part of that decision-making process. I appreciate your perspective that this is not an "either / or" choice. But, it's good to give something back and sometimes easier to do so in one community. I use Open Office, but I don't contribute there, for example.

I coded in COBOL, as well. Not quite the 70's but certainly all the way across the 1980's. If I had to, I think I could scrape together a Procedure Division and Working Storage area, again.

Take care,

arlen
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by arlen » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:10 pm

AmyStephen wrote: Again, my apologies for being a part of you feeling unwelcome. You are welcome here. Know as you comment, though, that you are inviting response and that not everyone will agree. But, don't take that to mean you are under attack and I caution against suggesting what others "think." If you ever want to know what I think, just ask. I'm not shy.
I used the phrasing "seem to think" and "My perception" precisely because I wanted to make it clear it was subjective opinion, not objective fact. I can't and don't claim to know what anyone is thinking. Sometimes I don't even know what I'm thinking!!

I don't mind disagreement. In fact I'd hate it if everyone agreed with me. I only got testy when it seemed people started inferring that I hadn't done anything, wasn't doing anything, and wasn't always extolling the virtues of Joomla. I wouldn't use it if I didn't think it filled at least the basic requirement of utility. It has a long way to go, but it's on the right road, at least.

Just think of me as the old curmudgeon in the corner by the fireplace, with a half-pint of bitters, who's dressed in rags and always muttering to himself. That may help.  :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:22 pm

Thanks for the giggle. Think of me as a old schoolmarm shaking her finger.  :-[ Sadly, that may help, too.

danbys
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by danbys » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:58 am

Since we are trying to figure how to find what software would be the most suitable CMS for our website(s), I think James Robertson's article Top 10 mistakes when selecting a CMS is relevant reading.
In short, take steps to mitigate or avoid the 'top 10' mistakes made when selecting a CMS:

1. Not understanding the problem to be solved
  2. Not understanding content management issues
  3. Assuming there are only a dozen possible products
  4. Bigger is better
  5. Not distinguishing between requirements and selection criteria
  6. Writing too many requirements
  7. 'Complies' / 'does not comply'
  8. Focusing on the 'what' not the 'how'
  9. Confusing the CMS project and the broader website project
  10. Running the selection as a technology project
The full article:
PDF http://www.steptwo.com.au/papers/kmc_se ... stakes.pdf
or HTML http://www.steptwo.com.au/papers/kmc_se ... index.html

I found this article very helpful, the article agreed with many comments found on this thread and added some issues as well.

Mahalo
-Dan

rick67
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by rick67 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:24 am

These posts are dated 2005.  Are they still relevant?  I would guess upgrades and improvements in these CMS packages would make some of these points moot.    ???

Rick 
Rick
Columbus, Oh

KonstantinDK
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KonstantinDK » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:48 am

Aaaah I have a head ache now. After reading that joomla got award - best php cms, I found that there's another cms-drupal, that won in most categories. :-\ So for 2-3 days I was "playing" with it ( just don't think I'm very good "player").

Drupal has amasing code or whatever it's called. Didn't have any bugs.(like god's blessing after trying to make seo work in joomla 1,5 for 2 days - unsuccesfully).  :-*Everything is geniusly simple. But i hate that plain, simple design. There are no "cool" templates like in joomla.

So, like many wise men and women said - drupal is best for community - mupltiple sites. I need only cool design, and  articles + gallery + some cool and buggy modules(or components?) like displaying different timezones. :pop And joomla has best way of displaying content for me. You can choose from which categories and sections. Plus joomla has best way of linking menus to components.- I didn't find in drupal that.

By they way - in joomla modules have problems with templates - some don't get same style as everything else on web site. In drupal ALMOST ALL  modules are very compatible with each other. And they are constantly updated. Didn't see any modyfy, updated before 2007. In joomla there are tons of modules, components, updated in 2005 ;D

The thing I also didn't like in drupal - is there module section. In joomla you can see top in editors pick, top favorite, top downloaded and so on. In drupal you can't! There's no rating! There's no top. The only thing you can do - sort as categories, sort last updated or sort alphabetically! I was looking for post or guide, like in joomla, for must-have add-ons. I even asked on forum, but didn't get an answer.

On the other hand, all of drupal add-ons are up to date, all are working. They have few times less add-ons than joomla, but there's less irrelevant and same-utility-with-different-name-and-design.

In general words, drupal is more compact - everything works with everything. Everything is kept up-to-date and debugged. Everything is simple. Joomla is more spread-out. Lots of staff, lots of staff that's old, lot's of bugs. But once you set everything up - joomla templates and layout rules!

In real general words - joomla(quantity) vs drupal(quality)
http://www.google.com/trends?q=joomla%2C+drupal

That is my noob's opinion. :laugh:

:)Almost forgot: joomla has BEST community. Forums here are Very active. On drupals forums it's like the desert. You ask the question and 2 hors later someone responds... or not. :)
Last edited by KonstantinDK on Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:24 am

I don't think your comparison that Joomla! is quantity and Drupal is quality is fair.  I get security notices regarding Drupal regularly.  It is not any more stable or instable than any other CMS out there.  To think so is just to be misinformed.  If you are talking about 1.5 and saying it has lots of bugs?  It is only in RC status.  It is supposed to have bugs.  It is on its way to stability hence why it is called an RC.  All CMSes has bugs.  To say they don't is also to be misinformed.
Co-author of the Official Joomla! Book http://officialjoomlabook.com
Marpo Multimedia http://marpomultimedia.com

domineaux
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by domineaux » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:16 am

I use...

ModX
Joomla
Drupal
Xoops

Each has value, and each does things differently.  I like each for different things.

There is nothing in Drupal or ModX to compare with Docman and Repository.

The Xoops has a pretty good downloads mod, but stinks if you have large number of files.

There is still a good user base in Xoops, but there are a lot of old 2004-2005 modules on their repository.

I think most efforts to improve the Xoops core are... lack luster now.  There are some timely patches and fixes.

ModX and Drupal have excellent ability to SEO.  I think Drupal is the better of the two.

Drupal modules work and for the most part are updated on a timely basis.

The Drupal community is very opensource minded and the finest, most elaborate modules are not-payware.

If had to pick two CMS from all the available open source I would pick Joomla and Drupal.

Joomla has better theme choices than Drupal.

I have a Joomla 1.5 site up now and I'm pretty darn happy with it. I do have to run legacy mode for a couple of components.

ModX is a long way from a finished product, IMO.

Drupal has a deep seated group of very competent site developers constantly working with the Drupal.  There is no where near the number of users as Joomla, just because Drupal does require more experience building sites and the ability to make sense of code doing code changes.  I don't mean you've gotta code Drupal.  I just mean many things you want to do may require a tweak of code to get just what you want.

The Drupal does have an Unzip installer thingy now like Joomla does, but unlike Joomla 1.0 it doesn't screw with the folder/file permissions when you use the installer.  I understand those issues should be resolved in the final 1.5.  I sure look forward to that.

To be very honest,  I am very happy I can use both the Joomla and Drupal.  I think well of each.
The Wave--->Now streaming cool jazz....Enjoy!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
http://cbsplayer.streamtheworld.com/ind ... IGN=KTWVFM

kiskiliskis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kiskiliskis » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:22 am

for me joomla is for end users and drupal is for developers. hehe the very nice thing about joomla is it's very easy for you to tweak/mod your site inside out while drupal gives a lot of headache specialy on their coding stuff and they have many security issues but once drupal is configured properly it can be a very powerful site.

just my two cents.

scrap2do
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by scrap2do » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:44 pm

May as well add my opinion.

I have installed and tested several CMS’s, phpnuke, mambo, xoops, drupal and several others. I even went so far as to setup an asp server to try dotnetnuke.

What I found is like comparing MS Windows, Mac OS and Linux.

In the above list I would say Joomla is more like MS Windows.
1: It has the best support that money can and can’t buy.
2: It is easy to setup and use.
3: 3’rd party support is phenomenal.
4: It is used by a more broad spectrum of society.
5: It will be around long after some of the others are gone.
6: The learning curve is small to non-existent.
7: The cost to build and maintain a Joomla site is FAR LESS than any other.
8: I would rather be called a Joomaler than a Drupaler :)
9: Joomla has nice clothing.
10: Drew Carey seems to be doing OK on The Price Is Right.

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:54 pm

What it all boils down to is simple:

Joomla is not the end all be all for all sites.

Drupal is not the best for all sites

CMS (x) is not the best for all sites.

It depends on your needs.  There is no 100% solution out there for ANYTHING.  When you figure out the needs you have, find the best solution by testing and evaluating the different options.  Joomla is not perfect, nor will it ever be (Nothing against the devs, but it won't be perfect).  Linux is not perfect, Apple is not perfect (I don't even need to mention MS). 

The fact is, for a lot of needs, Joomla is a one stop shop.  But not every need.  There are instances when other better, cheaper alternatives exist.  Why do you think Google wrote their own web server?  Apache works, so why write GWS?  Because it fits their needs best.
Anthony Ferrara - Core Team - Development Coordinator - Bug Squad - JSST

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...
http://www.joomlaperformance.com For All Your Joomla Performance Needs

gary zaydman
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by gary zaydman » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:50 am

Hi, I prefer Joomla because the organization makes sense and mostly because the Virtuemart component is awesome. Though, admittedly, it is not easy to configure from the start. It is a fantastic solution for selling digital products such as eBooks, mp3's, etc...

Joomla is the ultimate content management system (CMS) and I think Virtuemart is one of the best platforms for selling digital downloads.

I just wish there was an affiliate program that worked and was easy to configure. Overall it is a great platform. If you need something like a component, module, mambot that doesn't exist you can get it coded pretty inexpensively. In the long run it might cost the same as a off the shelf product but you can get it configured exactly to your specifications. Which is not something you can do with most software.

Best Regards,
Gary Zaydman
Learn to sell Digital Downloads[/b] using Virtuemart?
http://www.virtuemartsolutions.com
Download my Free Report and Video Tutorial

mattengland
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mattengland » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:33 am

Are the points made at:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... l#msg34666

still pertinent after more than 2 years?

Thanks in advance for any help.

muddauber
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by muddauber » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:13 am

WordPress Plugin drops right into Joomla and gives you all the functions you need
from WordPress right from within Joomla. The best of those two worlds.

Take a look at the Templates and try using the Templates and designs
in Drupal. 

Some other CMS apps to consider

Plone - Slow

Zope tends to respond slowly.  Zope is an open source web application server
primarily written in the Python programming language. Don't expect to install
this on a shared server

Alfresco - recommended by NetworkWorld

OpenCMS - Recommended by NetworkWorld

cvos
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cvos » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:35 am

im looking to create a site for an online newspaper.  literally it will be the digital version of a print paper. most content editors will have little computer experience.  which cms would you use for this and why?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:53 am

cvos wrote: im looking to create a site for an online newspaper.  literally it will be the digital version of a print paper. most content editors will have little computer experience.  which cms would you use for this and why?
Check out RokZine - it's built ground up for Joomla! v 1.5 by Andrew Eddie, one of our lead developers and very economically priced. He has video that demonstrates how easy it is to use. Highly recommend!

cvos
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cvos » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:09 am

thanks amy, rokzine looks really interesting.  do you know of any newspapers who have used this or a different plugin? I assume that this isnt just for magazines

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:49 am

RokZine is a brand new extension that was created for Joomla! v 1.5 (still in RC status.) Certainly it is good for any periodical based website, like a newspaper or a magazine. Actually, it's good at handling multiple topics and multiple authors, in general, but adds more capabilities for point in time needs. I'd recommend the RocketWerx forums for additional questions.

HTH,

@mattengland - please do not send this horrible thread into an endless loop by forcing us back to the very first post to re-evaluate everyone's comments to see if they might or might not be pertinent today. Both are fabulous open source CMS's; both are free, as in liberty and free, as in beer. Download. Install. Enjoy!  8)

Ricky_O
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Ricky_O » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:51 pm

I find one point in your post very confusing.  It is regarding the benefits of Joomla.  You wrote:
"you don't want to learn the tool you're using".
I find it questionable because we have been trying to figure out content definitions and menu type definitions for quite some time.  We have posted questions in the forums, without response.  We have read the Manuals cover to cover.  We are not new to this, having been doing web design for 15 years.
The problem is that there aren't any proper instructions, coupled with exceptions in the definitions.
I'm sure the developers have written excellent code.  Too bad many of us can't use it because there isn't any glory in being a documentation writer.
We have no choice, we can't spend any more time on trying to do this as you say, 'not having to learn the tool(s)'.
Sorry, but I don't think your statement is accurate.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:14 pm

Ricky_O wrote: I find one point in your post very confusing.  It is regarding the benefits of Joomla.  You wrote:
"you don't want to learn the tool you're using".
I find it questionable because we have been trying to figure out content definitions and menu type definitions for quite some time.  We have posted questions in the forums, without response.  We have read the Manuals cover to cover.  We are not new to this, having been doing web design for 15 years.
The problem is that there aren't any proper instructions, coupled with exceptions in the definitions.
I'm sure the developers have written excellent code.  Too bad many of us can't use it because there isn't any glory in being a documentation writer.
We have no choice, we can't spend any more time on trying to do this as you say, 'not having to learn the tool(s)'.
Sorry, but I don't think your statement is accurate.
I am confused. This post is quoting someone and talking about "You" - but, it is unclear to me who are you talking to? It is also unclear how these comments related to the Drupal and Joomla discussion in this thread.

I believe it is unfair to say "we have posted questions in the forums, without response" when you only have 15 posts. I, for one, put a great deal of volunteer time in trying to help answer questions. Those of us who do that are more frustrated than you might imagine that we are unable to get everyone's questions answered. The answer to that problem is that we must encourage more contributors in our community to give freely of themselves. Some of these comments are discouraging, not encouraging to people when we ask them to give up their time to freely help others.

You speak about "glory" but I have no idea what glory you are speaking of. We are trying to assist, if we can. It's not "glory" we get from helping, it's satisfaction knowing we might have helped another human being.

There are many, many books if you want documentation. The Joomla! software is offered at no charge. The forum support is offered at no charge. Perhaps you might consider paying $30 USD for an eBook or $40 USD for a paperback book. When I started with Joomla!, there was only one book: Hagen Graf's Mambo book, and I bought it and it helped me a great deal. I certainly recommend his new Joomla! book if you are interested in learning.

Lastly, we do the best that we can with the resources the community voluntarily provides. We do not do as good as we would like to do. In order to do better, we need your help.

Kind regards,

kuber
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kuber » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:50 pm

I am using both Drupal and Joomla!. I am very happy with both. The major difference I find is:
  • Joomla has a lot more 3rd Party plugins and modules than Drupal
  • Drupal has much better user configuration and views options. Not to mention built in Clean URLs.
However I am starting a new job where I must learn Expression Engine and CodeIgniter.

Any comments on the two? How would expression engine be better than Joomla or Drupal (if)?

Thanks

gav240z
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gav240z » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:50 pm

From my very limited experience of Expression Engine it is very, no wait extremely powerful from a template design and control point of view. Having said that it is also because of the power of the template system tha new comers will struggle with it.

You really need to be a XHTML and CSS expert to make the most of it. You can have multiple sites off the 1 intallation with EE which is a big bonus, something that's also possible with Drupal. I think it would be great if Joomla could run multiple sites off one installation, however many may not have a need for this.

Also ExpressionEngine (EE) is not open source, you do pay for it although it's reasonably priced for sure.

I'd like to see CORE extensions with Joomla such as a gallery / forum and Shopping Cart. Relying on 3rd party developers is risky in my opinion. These components would not neccessarily need to be included with Joomla but should be supported by the Core team.

This is how expression engine works.

Sorry if I drifted off topic a bit.
Gavin.

slambo2k
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by slambo2k » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:52 pm

It is great there is competion between the cms groups, it drives each to be better. To date the review sites aren't accurate because they almost all are trying to sell you something having to do with the topic on the page you happen to be on. I like it that Drupal has the following of a lot of coders. But like all techies it seems they must have their own lingo to sound intellectually superior and set apart it seems. You know, when you have to leave the group becuase you don't know what anyone is talking about. Just put the cookies on the lower shelf so the rest of us can reach them. Part of the purpose of the identity for the various cms products is the claim of how easy it is to use for the end user, heading for perfection someday for the total non coder. On Sourceforge there are 2603 CMS projects. But let me stop and say I'm here for the number of good things I have heard about the support especially from the members and coders as well of course. lI do like it that Drupal has 1300 addons that are free. Lets see if we can move in that direction gang! The comments here from one of the guys, said he uses four or five products with Drupal and Joomla being the best. I know what I want something that has complex capacity, is easy to use, runs clean, intensive security, and available support. Thats it.

gsicard
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gsicard » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:27 pm

Very interesting read in this thread.  I had spent some time trying CMSs a few years ago and I know that most CMS or Community scripts have advanced greatly since then.  I see Drupal, Joomla, Xoops, Xaraya, Typo3 and others mentioned in this topic but I am quiter surprised that e107 is not mentioned.  I went with e107 over Joomla because - believe it or not - I found it much easier to manage and setup.

Anyway, I found this thread very useful.  I am running a very large site using phpnuke since 2003 and am now looking for an alternate solution which will allow import of most of my contents, users, photos, and encyclopedia.  Have not found it yet.

pe7er
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by pe7er » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:10 am

gsicard wrote:I went with e107 over Joomla because - believe it or not - I found it much easier to manage and setup.
Interesting... In 2003 I started with e107 but found it too difficult (especially to layout it) and not flexible enough (layout + extensions like mambo/Joomla). I soon (early 2004) discovered Mambo and in 2005 I switched to Joomla.

BTW: e107 has most probably been improved since my experiences back then and so has my knowledge.
So it won't be fair if I would compare Joomla 1.0.13 with e107 from 2003 (and from my memories)....  :)
Kind Regards,
Peter Martin, Global Moderator
https://db8.nl - Joomla specialist, Nijmegen, Nederland
Co-developer of d2 Content https://data2site.com/joomla-extensions/d2-content

domineaux
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by domineaux » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:43 pm

Several things I really like about Drupal.

The way you build content into your pages.  Basically to build a Drupal site you just build pages, blog pages, stories or custom content.  These created pages are linked pages and you can access every page via menus.  Content is strongly categorized in such fashion.  Also, there are mods for applying Title and and other meta information to every single page you create.  You can create great SEO as you go.

You apply blocks, and other custom content to the pages you build (as pages) on the fly.

The forums and download tools are not comparable to the SMF forums or Docman Joomla modules but if you're building a large content site Drupal is feature rich.  The site templates are pretty sparse for the most part compared to Joomla choices.  Also, I've found there are anomalies in the site templates.  Since the Drupal is page oriented some things can creep into your pages that can cause issues with your templates.  Best practice is to use the default templates until you've got your site pretty close to what you want.  Then apply templates and cross check carefully all pages and content for issues.

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if CMS is proper terminology for some of the software tools called by that name. LOL

Anyway, I'm into the Joomla and Drupal for my sites.  I favor Drupal now because I don't have the permissions issues I have in Joomla, created by the server side installer.  It does take abit longer unzipping files and all, but I never have files or fiolders I cannot access.
I understand this is going to be a non-issue in 1.5 stable. 

I hate having to get my Hosting provider to change permisisons on my site folders and files so I can access them. 
The Wave--->Now streaming cool jazz....Enjoy!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
http://cbsplayer.streamtheworld.com/ind ... IGN=KTWVFM

Testing123
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Testing123 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:44 am

I thought this announcement regarding Drupal was interesting.
http://buytaert.net/acquia-has-raised-7-million
Do you want to be able to associate a content item (artlcle) with more than 1 category in Joomla!?
Please add your voice to the following thread: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=580&t=525316

Return to “The Lounge”