Google Analytics vs Page Hits

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
vancura541
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Google Analytics vs Page Hits

Post by vancura541 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:01 pm

I have been wrestling with a problem that has me perplexed to say the least.

Background: I have learned that I can drive traffic to my web site by tweeting with links back to articles on my site as evidenced by the hit counts on my articles in Joomla 1.5. According to the hit counts I can reliably count on 15 to 30 hits with each tweet, without fail. I am tweeting typically 10 to 15 articles per day and according the hits on the individual articles am amassing 150 - 300 hits on my site in total each day.

Problem: When I compare site traffic using google analytics and Statcounter, very few of these hits show up as either page views or visits to my site. typically I am only seeing 5 - 15 page views per day, not anywhere near the 150 - 300 that are being recorded on my site.

Question: Is it possible for people to visit my site and not be recorded by Google Analytics or Statcounter? Can they or something else cause hits on my pages without actually going to the site?
What is happening here?

idemsisvoje
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Google Analytics vs Page Hits

Post by idemsisvoje » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:58 am

hello,
yes, it is possible that people visiting your site are not tracked by analytics, if they have javascript turned off in their browser. but unless you are targeting some community in which they are strongly against javascript, it is very unlikely going to be that many people as the difference between analytics and joomla stats in your case.
are you sure you have set analytics correctly? are you really tracking all pages?
i don't know about anything else that could cause such a great deviation. if i had such a problem, i would consider analytics data to be more accurate. after you share something on twitter, try to check "real time" data in analytics under "home" and watch how many people are visiting
Joomla! based webdesign and online marketing.
http://www.riant.sk/web-stranky
http://www.riant.sk/online-marketing

vancura541
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by vancura541 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks for the reply -

I do generally consider google analytics more reliable, but still can't figure out what is making my hit counts go up after each tweet. If I tweet article "A", then within about 15 min. article "A" records 10 to fifteen hits, and within the next 2 to 12 hours another 10 to 15 hits. If I tweet article "B" but not article "C" only article "B" responds with increased number of hits recorded on Joomla. I wonder, could it be ROBOTs associated with twitter that somehow follow the tweets without triggering Google Analytics?

I have tried tweeting and immediately watching real-time google analytics and see nothing, like watching paint dry.

One thing I have considered doing is moving how my scrips are loaded in my Rocket-Theme template so that the "analytics" scrips load first. Maybe that would capture more page views if my vistors are bouncing from my pages quicker than the analytics scrips can load. I would appreciate any comments on this idea that anyone can offer.

Thanks again for your reply. @CSC_jlv

idemsisvoje
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by idemsisvoje » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:46 am

well i don't know about twitter's robots, but the script of analytics should be placed in <head> of your template, so it gets loaded before <body>
if you have it there as well, that should not be a problem.
i'm just curious, how many followers do you have on twitter? do they ever retweet your posts?
Joomla! based webdesign and online marketing.
http://www.riant.sk/web-stranky
http://www.riant.sk/online-marketing

vancura541
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by vancura541 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:25 pm

To answer your question, I follow 438 accounts and have 153 followers. I get retweeted about once or twice per day. The important thing is my average follower has 11,000 followers and my median follower has 2,000 followers so when I do get retweeted it has a good impact on traffic to my site.

If you are a small twitter account, a newbe with a small following, it is important to correctly use hashtags (#) to designate keywords for other (non-followers) to find. I estimate that using hashtags increases the number of people who see my tweets to about 500-600 people.

Here is an example:
Eileen Fisher Invites Applications for Activating #Leadership #Grants Program for #Women and #Girls Due April 25 Pls RT [url removed]
Last edited by alikon on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: self promotion link removed

baucms
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by baucms » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:00 am

Hi all, I've got exactly the same issue than vancura541.

Could it be that any impression either in Twitter or FB streams count as hits?

cheers

skyviewer1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by skyviewer1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:03 am

i have the same problem.I have lots of hits received as soon as i published my articles on F.B or submitt it to digg.But google analytics show very small amount of pagviews/visitors.We know that joomla article hit means when th article is fully opened(in case of read more ).So any one's help will be appriciated.
Connecting Wisdom and Art of Life
http://www.wisdompetals.com

brks
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by brks » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:34 am

Google allows visitors to "opt out" of Analytics, and made opt-out add-ons/plugins for the major browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, and IE (seems IE opt-out add-on does not work well). People who install opt-out add-on in their browsers will not be counted by Google Analytics.
However, opt-out add-on itself seems not able to explain the 20-30 times of difference, unless the add-on is very popular among the website users.
In certain situation, Google Analytics may exclude login users, counting only anonymous users, depending on the installation of Analytics code. This would be another topic.

galamarco
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by galamarco » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:44 pm

I have the same problem.
I analyzed the visitors in Joomla and Analytics, there is a difference of 22%. Joomla has 22% of the visitors in more than Analytics.

The question now is: are robots or real visitors?
Joomla counts spider and robot?

Return to “The Lounge”