Joomla! Stack Exchange: Moving from Private Beta to Public

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
NivF007
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Joomla! Stack Exchange: Moving from Private Beta to Public

Post by NivF007 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:28 pm

How we can work together to best transition the Joomla! Stack Exchange from 'Private Beta' to 'Public Beta'?

First off all, thanks and congratulations to the 'pioneers' of the Joomla! Stack Exchange site and to everybody working to make this a proposal a success. I hope this post will be of assistance to those efforts.

UPDATE: WE ARE NOW IN PRIVATE BETA!

The Joomla! Private Beta Stack Exchange site is at http://joomla.stackexchange.com/

Committers should have received an email from Stack Exchange with a link to participate, with subject line, "Private beta invitation for Joomla Q&A site - Area 51 - Stack Exchange"

If you have not committed, or are 'locked out' of the Private Beta, and would like to participate, please PM me with your email address and I will send you an invite.

What's next?

Next up is the 'Private Beta Phase,' which means the ability to ask and answer Joomla! is open to anybody who has 'committed' to the Joomla! Stack Exchange Proposal, but not to the general public.

Typically, the Private Beta Phase lasts about a week.

During this time, Stack Exchange wants to see that the site is active and supported by the committers (i.e. SE does not want 'ghost towns').

When Stack Exchange is satisfied, the Joomla! Stack Exchange site becomes public.

How you can help

Read the Area 51 Stack Exchange FAQ

You'll find the Area 51 Stack Exchange FAQ at http://area51.stackexchange.com/faq

In particular, focus on the following topics

- What makes good questions? and

- What is reputation?

We want to make sure that the Joomla! Stack Exchange site is as good as possible, so that means 1) learning how to ask great questions; 2) provide great answers; and 3) understanding the reputation reward system.

Commit 15 to 20 minutes a day during the Private Beta Phase

The Private Beta Phase typically lasts about a week. Stack Exchange wants to see that the 'committers' are actually 'committed' before opening up the site to the public.

15 to 20 minutes a day is really all it takes. Commit more time if you wish.

Go for quality over quantity

During the Private Beta Phase, we are attempting to set the tone for the quality of answers provided.

Remember, the value that Stack Exchange offers to Joomlaists is that it makes it easy to quickly get the 'best answer' to your question.

Is there an existing answer you can improve? Stack Exchange has features that allow you to suggest an edit and rewards you for doing so.

Rather than provide an additional and potentially repetitive answer, consider suggesting improvements to an existing answer.

Do you have a suggestion that you'd like to include?

Post away! I will do my utmost to facilitate those in this post.

Keep in mind that there will also be a meta site (i.e. a site about the Joomla! Stack Exchange Site itself - see the FAQ) so once we have achieved critical mass and have a better understanding of how it works, that will likely be the best place for continued discussions.
---

This topic open to anybody who wants to discuss how we can best work together to transition through the Private Beta Phase to a Public Stack Exchange site.

If there are specific questions, instructions, ideas or directions that you wish to recommend, please post those in this topic and I will do my best to edit this post (first post in the topic) to provide a itemized list for quick reference.
Last edited by NivF007 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.

NivF007
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Joomla! Stack Exchange: Moving from Private Beta to Pub

Post by NivF007 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Question: Referred Committers - how can we help to get them active on SE?

I've referred 7 committers and while interested, most remain inactive (i.e. 51 rep points) - what are good ways in which we can get the up-to-speed and actively participating during the 'private beta' phase?

Should we start with reaching out to them as the our first item of business?

Here is what I've done on this so far (please feel free to copy and do the same).

On our local User Group Facebook page, I took a screen-shot (attached - please feel free to use it) and posted
Text from Facebook Post wrote:WOOHOO! WE DID IT!! 100% COMMITTERS ACHIEVED!!

For those of you have committed to the proposed Joomla! Stack Exchange site (http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/58842/joomla), we are going to need your help!

Here's what's happening:

Right now, Stack Exchange is preparing a 'Private Beta' page. During Private Beta, only committers can participate.

Typically the Private Beta phase lasts about a week - Stack Exchange wants to see a good level of activity and if satisfied, the Joomla! Stacke Exchange site becomes available to the public (our end goal).

If you have committed but not yet gotten active, the next week is going to be the most important in order for us to go public.

We've started a forum topic at http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=842604 which you can subscribe to, or please feel free to reach out to me directly and ask any questions.

Thanks to everybody who is helping to support this effort!!!

We are really excited about it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ot2sen
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ot2sen » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:12 pm

Thanks Niv :)

Exciting that we succeeded in reaching 100% this time!

The 7 days private beta is the next challenge.

Agree that we should use all networking connections to make sure the private beta trial will succeed too.

Linking to this post of yours will also be a good starting point in engaging people.
Took note we have our marketing lead as a committers, which surely will help in getting the word out.
Ole Bang Ottosen
Dansk frivillig Joomla! support websted - joomla.dk
OpenTranslators Core Team opentranslators.org

NivF007
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by NivF007 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:30 pm

Thanks Ole! Who is our marketing lead? How can we best of assistance and coordinate our efforts?

Just a quick note, I'm editing the top post to include a link to the Area 51 Stack Exchange FAQ

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:15 am

This is good news but I have to admit, my initial StackExchange experience was so negative I almost gave up. We need to make it absolutely clear what the hoops are that you have to jump through because you can do certain things. I'd also urge our community to be more forgiving that the wider stackexchange community on the drafting of questions. I think some heavy SX/SO users are more interested in critiquing and down marking questions than actually helping people. Helping people is more important than drafting the perfect question in my opinion.

My 2c anyway.
Andrew Eddie - Tweet @AndrewEddie
<><
http://eddify.me
http://www.kiva.org/team/joomla - Got Joomla for free? Pay it forward and help fight poverty.

b2z
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by b2z » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:17 am

Great that we did it and I really hope that we will make it to PUBLIC BETA.

ot2sen
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ot2sen » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:28 am

NivF007 wrote:Thanks Ole! Who is our marketing lead? How can we best of assistance and coordinate our efforts?
The Marketing Working Group announced member news recently. Team lead is Jessica Dunbar.
http://area51.stackexchange.com/users/1 ... ica-dunbar
http://community.joomla.org/blogs/commu ... ement.html

More of the team did commit, and I feel confident they will help promote this Stack Exchange initiative. :)
Ole Bang Ottosen
Dansk frivillig Joomla! support websted - joomla.dk
OpenTranslators Core Team opentranslators.org

NivF007
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by NivF007 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Thanks Ole!

b2z
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by b2z » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:31 pm

So! We are in the PRIVATE BETA now!
http://joomla.stackexchange.com/

We should start our activity!

b2z
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by b2z » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:20 pm

The new Joomla Stack Exchange site is now open to the public! Congratulations and thanks to all who supported it and was making it active!

We should continue to do the same at least 90 days! We need more questions, more answers, more visits and more activity! Let's do this!

moomoochoo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by moomoochoo » Sat May 03, 2014 2:27 am

It's exciting to see it up and running finally!

For people wondering what the difference is between the forum and joomla.stackexchange. Joomla.stackexchange is more like a reference book, it's not meant to be a discussion. The Joomla forum on the other hand is the perfect place for discussion.

If you're interested in checking it out a good place to start is at http://joomla.stackexchange.com/questions/how-to-ask

NivF007
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by NivF007 » Sat May 03, 2014 3:10 am

I'd love to edit the top post - but cannot :-( - In any case - great job everybody!

NivF007
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by NivF007 » Wed May 07, 2014 5:10 am

I can edit my other posts - but not the top topic on this one. We've not been able to resolve the issue - sorry for not being able to update the status to Public Beta (i.e. we are no longer in Public Beta). Future discussions 'about' the Joomla.StackExchange.com are at Meta.Joomla.StackExchange.com.

Return to “The Lounge”