Joomla Vs Wordpress 2015 | In depth comparison

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
xtianus2014
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla Vs Wordpress 2015 | In depth comparison

Postby xtianus2014 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:47 pm

It is very difficult to get accurate and knowledge information regarding the differences between WordPress and Joomla especially in comparison scenarios because for one the information is often outdated. For two, the information comes from a serious lack of development point of view but rather a heard mentality of anecdotal users here and there.

I am not trying to hand over a winner either way I am just trying to illustrate some key differences of what I perceive to be the differences and hold those observations from a developer capable point of view.

Now, I have gone over this info with developers for both systems and I find some of the responses oddly just biased based upon what system they like doing... Sort of not like a "ok yea your right that is currently a limitation of xyz."

So lets begin. And please the response and purpose of this post is to get to a vast understanding of what two systems have to offer.

1st. plugins are bad. Let's face it. WordPress is like the windows for vulnerabilities and attacks because it is the more popular cms. Joomla is guilty/susceptible to this as well but I have to say WP is worse. Moreover, and I read this and totally agree. Wordpress or Joomla for that matter is a depreciating assest. What does that mean? Overtime your sites is worth less and in more and more danger based upon ones ability or organizational effort to update and maintain core updates and plugin updates. A badly coded or ignored WP plugin can leave your site hacked and compromised. I've seen this happen many times.

You will hear developers say over and over again that they "want to get away from plugins" I can just write that myself, and so on...

Now, my experiences and conclusions are this. The plugins, extensions, and components from Joomla's top dev builders are Vastly superior to Wordpress's similar efforts. Yes there is a wooforms for RSforms but RSforms is light years ahead of wooforms or contact forms 7.

Stack ideas components can give you an amazing blog, forum questions, or social network into your site in minutes. amazing. WordPress doesn't come close to the level of quality these products deliver.

Appointmentbookingspro is another example of an excellent system that is well maintained and available on the Joomla system and no where to be found on Wordpress.

Winner on quality and level of capability for app extensions = Joomla by far

2nd. Configuration is key...
This is the main reason why I had to right this forum post because I have been losing my mind at work and wanted a coherent level headed argument for why our company needs to switch from WP to Joomla and or Drupal for that matter.

WordPress seems rigid. Everything is based upon its template. Yes there are custom-post-types, plugins and widgets but for one those are deeply engrained into the template you are using in the case of custom-post-types.

With Joomla I can develop a component or module that can be placed anywhere on my site with per page resolution. Meaning, if I want component A to be on mysite/component then I am able to do that. I have the same control with a module. Wordpress can't do that. In a way it can but again you are in your template rather than being a separate entity... So when styling your site I can include component and style that information exactly the way I want it based upon my template. With WP you better hope you like your template or you'll be hacking it. which is what I do at work all day.

Again, I will be fair to say a widget is kind of like a module but not really and not with the level of organization and per page resolution as a Joomla module is. And building a plugin which is all function based to utilize a module like capability just seems ridiculous to me. Which brings me to my next point.

Winner = Joomla

3rd. Joomla is MVC and WordPress is function after function after function = Plugins that cause High Server Load!!!
I don't know how Joomla people don't come firing with this reality and again it is not to bash WP but it is to illustrate a reality. Wordpress has high server load with high traffic sites. Period.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wo ... erver+load
About 1,910,000 results (0.32 seconds)
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=jo ... erver+load
About 417,000 results (0.33 seconds)

WP plugins cause many of the problems as well... Again very function php based may data calls all day long...

quote from site --- "It could be a number of things .. but when it comes to wordpress plugins the worst issues with load i have seen were with the BackupBuddy plugin which can be particularly bad when restoring data ..."

This site here explains how it is a caching issue and to install more plugins to help with caching... ridiculous.
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthrea ... 191&page=2

Here is another reference to the issue. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1402 ... ted-server

Our sites server was failing and did so for literally a whole day one time not to long ago. We were getting letters from our VPS to either fix our PHP and make it more efficient or get off of their servers. Well, I am going to do all of the above.

After looking into the subject WordPress does have an issue with this. No one seems to talk about it though.

The culprit seems to come from the 2nd point I illustrated previously... Plugins and not just plugins but plugins the way the are designed and written for WP. function after function. The dev we brought on board without any previous bias for one CMS vs the other because he doesn't use them said "WordPress is just function after function and that is not the way to write code for any platform. At least Joomla is MVC based."

Winner = Joomla if you have a developer on hand to customize the functionalities you want.

4th Menu assignments and organization seems to be better for Joomla. If I want a different page I have to use a custom-post-type as discussed earlier. With joomla this can be a module or a component. With that said I can go to the backend via Joomla 3.XXX and assign menu items per template I choose. That is very powerful and allows to create varying scenarios of the look and feel of different sites within a subdomain or subfolder structure... This just cannot be achieved in WordPress. I have heard people say use Multisite. No multisite does not allow for multitemplate per your choosing of site... without of course a hack and a plugin. Which multisite is even worse for server load. so this just isn't an option.

Again WP can do a custom-post-type based on the template it is inside... This does not allow for a lot of flexibility if I per se don't want it to look a certain way or be different for a subfolder or subdomain of my site.

Say for example I was running the NFL network and I have nfl.com if I want a different page and experience for each team this would be a nightmare in Wordpress and for us that is exactly the scenario. In Joomla I would just build a different template for each team and install it per menu.. My menu's are organized very well in the backend so this would be an easy situation for me to develop for.

In WordPress how would I do that? I would have to have custom-post-types and individual installs of WordPress per subfolder... Which is what we are doing now. Horrible experience and 30 different databases. Ridiculous.

Winner = Joomla!

Feel free to weigh in as I am interested in being corrected or figuring out different methods of accomplishing the same task... but if Joomla is better at certain things for complex situations than so be it and lets give Joomla credit where credit is due.

FlashRebel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress 2015 | In depth comparison

Postby FlashRebel » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:40 am

... similar ''comparison'' is possible with other topics where Wordpress will beat Joomla.
Your comparison took just few parts of system.
Just some example - you mentioned Easy blog which looks the best for Joomla this time ... on other hand, if user want blog and compare core wordpress installation and set up vs. Joomla + Easy blog its like 2 steps from bed with Wordpress and running 1km for Joomla and Easy blog :)
Menu assignements are great, its organized, structured, but when you will find 5 different urls for same content, then it can change situation.

It really depends on side where you look and how you look. For example not so long ago Jreviews which is relatively complex and big directory/review component for Joomla ... they do the same for Wordpress, all functionality, menus, user management ... everything is possible also with Wordpress.
One component which do the same job on both systems.
So everything also depends on developer of extension/plugin/theme/template .... and in this area is Wordpress much far from Joomla, bc. many users, so more developers, more money, higher quality ....
How you mentioned about poor quality of Wordpress component, just check extensions for Joomla, many from them you can not even install :) or uninstall :)
Important point is, that more users prefer Wordpress, bc. simplicity and easy of use, that is why also many developers prefer Wordpress, bc. huge user base, so more customers for them.

Many times I do similar comparison for myself. I never finished with end result :) bc. Wordpress have own advantage and Joomla have own.
Btw. I hear more developers talking that Joomla is better on same ways, also many other cms or systems are better, but they work with Wordpress, bc. userbase - customers :)

During using both systems many times I swear to one or other ... for example, in wordpress I installed with few cliks Contact form 7, then put (shortcode) to site where I want to have contact form and I have it, it looks nice and work well, can add any field there, custom it very easy ... then I swear to Joomla why its so complicated and so ugly looking with so many settings which even does not do similar job than Contact form in Wordpress.
On other hand, when I have custom post and see that ugly ''taxonomy'' in link which is not structured or logical, its just garbage in url link ... then I swear to Wordpress :) oh or that limitation of themes ... how theme heavy limit what I can display on site.

I m still in situation that for simple website use Wordpress and for some user base - directories website use Joomla ... will see what future will brings.

I m checking both systems and community around and from my perspective Wordpress will probably win agains Joomla in all major points.

xtianus2014
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby xtianus2014 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:43 pm

@FlashRebel

I hear what you're saying and in a couple regards it is coherent but overall you are missing some real points. And before I respond... What do you mean by "but they work with Wordpress, bc. userbase - customers?" I am very confused. What does the amount of people, kids, people that are interested in building a web page for their hobby business, etc... have anything to do with why a developer would build a site from?

That has absolutely nothing to do with anything. People don't choose Drupal because everyone is doing it. They use it because it has practical application for their needs.

My point is that Joomla is relatively as easy as WordPress... IMHO much more organized in the backend especially with systems like k2 or sobipro... But with much more development opportunity.

As well, you pointed out that my points are favorable to Joomla but those are just ones I choose... Those are major points.

Don't get me wrong... to do a one off brochure site without much advanced functionality then YES WP becomes more of a viable choice. But as soon as you need to do something beyond the template in my opinion WordPress becomes worse and worse.

FlashRebel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Postby FlashRebel » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:52 pm

xtanius in that case of ''developers'' I refer to developers of extension/plugin/theme... for Joomla/Wordpress not developers of websites for their own use. Also many developers of websites for clients prefers Wordpress, bc. these clients can easier to maintain that website in basic.

Joomla is not so easy as Wordpress ... in many same situations you need 10 clicks with Joomla where few clicks in Wordpress ...
Yes themes in Wordpress are limited, but there you can use also theme with bloated framework as in Joomla and you have any kind of functionality.
K2 ? I just remember how long it took developer to update that extensions to the latest Joomla when one release of Joomla came and wrote everywhere that he will not upgrade/update K2 to that release.
SobiPro is for me the worst component what I ever used in Joomla (I don't use many, bc. I prefer simplicity) Even developer of that component wrote, that is for not for profitable and no complex website, but he is lost somewhere I think :D
Also I remember few months ago when I did regular core update of Joomla with two clicks and users on my site was not able to register or login, it came with bug.

We can continue both ... I think ... anyways I don't want to proof that Wordpress is better than Joomla, just feel to add some opposed thoughts to yours. That everything is just angle from where you are looking and what are your needs, bc. I m sure, you can write same post about advantage of Wordpress and me of Joomla.

About organizing on backend, you right, in Joomla when you want to play with menu, you go to menu, when wanna play with module, you go to module. In wordpress it depends on theme if allow you even do that. But in other hands, in Wordpress exist plugin for anything almost. In joomla exist some tweaks for anything :)

What I really hate in Joomla, that many ''features'' which belongs to 90' age are by default there and if you want hide them that site looks nice, more user friendly for year 2014 you need to do a lot, opposed in Wordpress.... there you need to do more if you want more.

Many core Joomla function make me nervous :D registration - name, username, email, password, too complicated ....
Did you check that Joomla still include message component ? Probably nobody know for what is it, nobody use it, but its there :D You can send msg to another admin user in backend :D these ''features'' make me nervous sometimes when I go deep, then I open Wordpress for its own simplicity and then I m nervous, bc. I dont know where to find quality theme with function what I need and not 100+ other functions wich will load one hour. Still I dont understand ''free wordpress themes in wordpress directory'' for me all looks the same, different is just footer link to developer :) Also find right plugin is hard there, bc. so many exist and searching there is not so well as here, so ussually you need to read some recommendation on external blogs, what are usually affiliate recommendation so better advertising - better plugin :)
I can continue for one hour and you probably too, but I go smoke :)

Btw. what kind of websites you build ?

Edit: just fresh experience .... I really do not use much additional extensions, ussually just one core like mosets tree and thats all.
Just have idea, that can be helpful to have automatic xml sitemap on my sites, that google now when and what was updated there.
So what are my options in Joomla ? one free and one paid component, that is all what Joomla world offer. No additional choice. Just check wordpress plugin repository how many choices you have there, all free and then you can search also for some paid somewhere else.
So no easy solution for xml sitemap in Joomla if I am not satisfied with these two what Joomla world offers. ....

So finally we can not compare these both systems. Both are already in different category.

xtianus2014
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby xtianus2014 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:38 pm

WordPress plugins are hacky and buggy and horrible server serial rapists. They eat server resources like an Ebola infection. I am currently dealing with this now. Really simple captcha is writing to my server everytime a user enters the page. Ridiculous.

FlashRebel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Postby FlashRebel » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:07 pm

do similar site with Joomla, then compare it and show results, it can be helpful for many users

xtianus2014
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby xtianus2014 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:40 pm

Actually we are doing just that. We our building all of our components and modules to have the content we want for the site easily entered into the back. People talk about WordPress's advanced custom fields. lol that is what a module is.

Now, one thing through our development so far that we see is an issue is this.

for WP they use custom post types... which is like a custom html page template within a site. in joomla this is a component. The difference is you have to build the component which would work just like a custom post type. However, that takes away the ability to use articles/k2 items and modules for a customized page set up if per se you wanted to load in article/k2 items and surround them with modules. You could still surround anything with modules but if you use 1 component that is it.. I can't use the article or k2 item content...

I would like to see module calls for articles or k2 items and a module component that will link to the article/k2 item that the module is calling... Does that make sense?

So the idea would be you could build a module that puts a lot of content for a particular page and surrounds it with certain modules/content if they are being used. One of the things the person would choose is an article/or k2 item that is available to choose from kind of like how you do it when creating a menu... Now, when this is done the content will be all of the information filled out into the module including the article. All the person would do now is go to the menu and select the "module" that links to the article/item and it would link to that url and display all content.

That would be awesome functionality.

arti110
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby arti110 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:21 am

I created a website on Joomla and Wordpress. I chose Joomla because my opinion is more polished and more transparent.

Lambros
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby Lambros » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:31 am

I've personally been shifting quite a few websites from Joomla to WordPress. I think the issue is the activity of the community...it seems contributed plugins aren't given as much attention as they used to be. Just my 2 cents. I wrote a full article on my website about it here:

Code: Select all

http://thecodelesstravelled.com.au/blog/drupal-vs-joomla-vs-wordpress-responsive-web-design-2015

Let me know what your thoughts are.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby leolam » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:31 am

Lambros wrote:Let me know what your thoughts are.
Besides the fact that your so called "assessment" is not only biased but hopelessly inaccurate on every thing you write. Let me set the record straight!

Joomla is completely Open Source. From beginning to last piece of code. We have 12,000 (50% or so commercial) extensions which are actively maintained. All extensions on the Joomla Extensions Directory are Open Source otherwise they do not get listed. Next time do your homework and don't write down personal favors and not ridiculous statements as "Joomla is dying" We have the most vibrant community of all three.

Here is (compiled) what is in general the "real" CMS reviewers (CMSexp0/CMSwire/CMSwatch/to mention a few) write about the 3 mainstream CMS' on offer:

We have 3 major CMS systems in the world: Drupal, Wordpress and Joomla.

Drupal is the powerhouse for Developers and not suitable for end-users with limited knowledge. Wordpress is very good and favorable if you want a blog page or a news site. Most of Wordpress plugins have been developed for these kind of sites where Joomla offers full blown software systems for any site with it's over 12,000 extensions (See the Joomla Extensions Directory)

Joomla can be used for very complex and multi-functional websites and one would not be able to create a fully versatile and integrated website with Wordpress as you can do with Joomla.

If Drupal is a power-house framework for developers, and WordPress is the world's most popular blogging platform, then Joomla is the platform that reaches out to developers, end users and designers.

Joomla is flexible, customizable, and easy to use for simple web usage after no more than about one - two hours of training.

Previous versions of Joomla have leaned on an early legacy of a blogging tool, making some concepts counter-intuitive for modern web sites. But with Joomla 2.5. and beyond now with J3.3 , the CMS has improved in leaps and bounds, and now provides a solid platform for building small, medium, and large web sites.

Powerful extensions exist that encompass features such as permissions-based file repositories capable of handing tens of thousands of files (like DocMan), integration with social networks, membership management (like Payplans Pro), email- and sms marketing (like Acymailing), ecommerce (like Mijoshop) and community based social networks (like JomSocial and Community Builder ).

The Roadmap for Joomla shows that they are working towards a lean and very flexible but still powerful CMS! Just for the record: The Joomla Help-screens in the administrator back-end are part of the extensive Documentation Portal that can be reached through this link: https://docs.joomla.org. Joomla has a huge and very vibrant community and a very active support forum

Leo Lammerink
Founder & MD GWS Global Web Services
Last edited by leolam on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Celebrating 12-Years of Professional Joomla Support Services
- Joomla Professional Support:https://gws-desk.com -
- Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions:https://gws-host.com -
- Member Joomla Bug Squad & J-CMS Release Team

chetanmadaan
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby chetanmadaan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:14 am

+1 to leolam
Chetan Madaan - JM-Experts
http://www.Jm-Experts.com

xtianus2014
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby xtianus2014 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:50 pm

I have been developing with Wordpress and had my company switch over to Joomla. It was MVC which was a big part of the decision. Wordpress is a bloated mess. We just had to deal with a major hack via one of our sites outdated plugins. PERIOD.

adean
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Postby adean » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:17 pm

I started using Joomla in 2006 and faithfully upgraded from 1.5 throughout the evolution to 2.5 and updates to present 3.3.6.

I run an online newspaper started in 1999. (First in the U.S.) The number of articles posted over the years is enormous. Many are archived. Some are offline.

I need instruction on proper administration. Caching, indexing, etc. I am not able to fully utilize all the wonderful features because I am running up against what seem like limits. The site is hosted on a MVS from Rochen with 30G of memory. Because of caching I am using up nearly all of the 30G. I have removed the Smart Search because the site kept crashing. Besides the newspaper website, I host 5 smaller static brochure sites on the MVS.

Any recommendations on which is better Joomla vs Wordpress for large websites?

webreplicator
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby webreplicator » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:14 pm

I prefer joomla, find a good firewall to protect your Joomla site from data injections.
Agustin V.
http://www.dfirewall.com
Data Security & Linux Solutions.

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby darb » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:45 am

FlashRebel wrote:do similar site with Joomla, then compare it and show results, it can be helpful for many users

I see the same style of comments from Drupal Mr Stagger Lee that have many stupid comments and nonsense...not your brother or you?
https://www.drupal.org/node/1993082
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

elancetopone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby elancetopone » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:48 am

I've built tons of sites on WordPress. I'm convience that WordPress is really good if you are a newbie in CMS and Joomla can be your next step because of your almost unlimited possibilities in modifications.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Postby leolam » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:48 pm

darb wrote:Mr Stagger Lee that have many stupid comments and nonsense...not your brother or you?
Uhhhhh 'Darb' We all know the 'value' of this "Flashrebel" here on these forums and on Drupal and on WP forums...... "It" is just a troll so don't expect anything useful of this poster at any moment?

Leo 8)
Celebrating 12-Years of Professional Joomla Support Services
- Joomla Professional Support:https://gws-desk.com -
- Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions:https://gws-host.com -
- Member Joomla Bug Squad & J-CMS Release Team

elancetopone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby elancetopone » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:11 pm

You should now that best way to deal with an internet troll is just ignoring them. :)

FlashRebel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Postby FlashRebel » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:34 am

darb wrote:I see the same style of comments from Drupal Mr Stagger Lee that have many stupid comments and nonsense...not your brother or you?

I m not even registered in Drupal, don't like that system, did not visit that site for few years. So I know nothing about people there.

With regard to topic, I already migrated another my sites from Joomla to Wordpress and I can not compare ... its different world, which fit to me much more than Joomla in any aspect.

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby darb » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:15 am

FlashRebel wrote:
darb wrote:I see the same style of comments from Drupal Mr Stagger Lee that have many stupid comments and nonsense...not your brother or you?

I m not even registered in Drupal, don't like that system, did not visit that site for few years. So I know nothing about people there.

With regard to topic, I already migrated another my sites from Joomla to Wordpress and I can not compare ... its different world, which fit to me much more than Joomla in any aspect.

Well why are you here and bullshitting about Joomla then if you already think Wordpress is sooo goooood hahahaha you are hilarious. Maybe you are send out from Mr Mullenweg?? :eek:

This is a free open source project own by the community ( Open Source Matters http://opensourcematters.org/) not like Drupal owner (Dries Buytaert) and Wordpress owner (Matt Mullenweg) thats what I like but of course have some negative impact for getting things quickly in the right directions.
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!

Darb - aka ssnobben

bijutoha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby bijutoha » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:02 am

Now I'm going to take one of them.. during few days I'm really in ambiguous which will be the best for me. In last year, I saw many neighborhood of mine changed their Joomla to WordPress because of Plugin Problem.
Md. Bakhtiar Uddin
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: viewtopic.php?t=65

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby darb » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:06 am

bijutoha wrote:Now I'm going to take one of them.. during few days I'm really in ambiguous which will be the best for me. In last year, I saw many neighborhood of mine changed their Joomla to WordPress because of Plugin Problem.

There is no plugin problem with Joomla. What do you mean?

Darb - aka ssnobben

bijutoha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby bijutoha » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:32 am

Actually I didn't mean Plugin Error I mean Plugin facility and it is not my opinion, My friends, Who had been talking like that.... they told me that if you take any cms then first try WordPress, Because prevalence of plugins and SEO perspective brought more power in WP then Joomla.
Md. Bakhtiar Uddin

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby darb » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:52 am

elancetopone wrote:You should now that best way to deal with an internet troll is just ignoring them. :)

I don't think so its important to communicate pro/cons that is facts.

These trolls comes to many info sites, mostly outside Joomla sphere and tell their mantra/stories and in the end some people that don't know anything just believe them to be true and that's a pity really.

And that's why people that knows about Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress must argument against these nonsense people that just talk of beliefs and not by facts.

Darb - aka ssnobben

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby darb » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:58 am

bijutoha wrote:Actually I didn't mean Plugin Error I mean Plugin facility and it is not my opinion, My friends, Who had been talking like that.... they told me that if you take any cms then first try WordPress, Because prevalence of plugins and SEO perspective brought more power in WP then Joomla.

Here is a quick example just in this thread.

Because prevalence of plugins and SEO perspective brought more power in WP then Joomla.

A guy that heard from some "friends" maybe grandmother that Wordpress "...prevalence of plugins and SEO perspective brought more power in WP then Joomla."

Its not true but this is stories Wordpress would like to put on them selfes to promote/marketing against Joomla. That they should have... "prevalence of plugins and SEO perspective brought more power in WP then Joomla."

And its not true. But if you dont know anything about Joomla(Wordpress) and you believe your grandmother this is the true ( is not ). Its like Putin try to convince people that they don't have anything to do with the invasion of Ukraine but still sit and negotiatec the terms of the country...hahahah :D

(sorry had nothing to do with this topic )

bijutoha, you have to investigate more about what you want to achieve but Joomla is a very good choice for your future web project. Just wait 2 weeks for new J 3.4 and enjoy the power of Joomla.. Good luck!

Darb - aka ssnobben

bijutoha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby bijutoha » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks so much my dear Guru.. I'm not a hostile against the Joomla. I'm also fan of its movements. And I know, If Joomla feels what I said then I can wait many more not only 2 weeks. Because I have time for getting new "J 3.4" and be-sure I want to enjoy the power of Joomla.
Md. Bakhtiar Uddin

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Postby darb » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:05 am

bijutoha wrote:Thanks so much my dear Guru.. I'm not a hostile against the Joomla. I'm also fan of its movements. And I know, If Joomla feels what I said then I can wait many more not only 2 weeks. Because I have time for getting new "J 3.4" and be-sure I want to enjoy the power of Joomla.

Thats great! Just learn and you can use a lot of power of Joomla.

Some personal recommendations for free editor, admin and backup:
Editor to install JCE http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ditors/jce so you can control user media access and files by personal ACL settings.

Admin tools and backup:
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... dmin-tools
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... eba-backup

Advance module manager free version:
https://www.nonumber.nl/extensions/adva ... ulemanager se also Peters other great extension like Content Templater etc https://www.nonumber.nl/extensions

If you want to built something more "power" like with free CCK, compare to what you say about power one example you can build what ever you want almost:
http://extensions.joomla.org/extension/seblod

Good luck! and spread the good word about Joomla what it really can do when you know more about its open source ecco system ..:)

Darb - aka ssnobben

almooj94
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby almooj94 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:00 pm

I prefer Joomla for templating, because according to my personal experience, it's easier to target aspects of the design. There are many effective options that conform to the proper MVC model. I don’t install any legacy either.

I don't want to
compare Joomla and WordPress with Drupal and other popular CMSs like TYPO3. I just focus on the both discussed platforms. I think a major plus for Joomla is that you don’t need to know PHP to make a professional-looking theme. You have to do some with WordPress to get the loop. Obviously Knowing PHP will give users lots of extra features, but isn’t essential.

Both content management systems now have a slew of frameworks that muddy the waters. They were not covered, and while they aren’t part of the default installs, most of them provide additional features to the standard core.

As a developer who uses both, I say users should choose the one that fits their skills.
To know more about Joomla and WordPress have a look at:

https://wordpress.org/tags/templating
https://wordpress.org/plugins/tags/templating
http://extensions.joomla.org/category/style-a-design/templating

digitalcomet
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby digitalcomet » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:30 am

Arash Arabi, Joomla Vs. Drupal: A technical comparison of the best open source CMS

Although Drupal gives the most flexibility to a webmaster, the administration is very complicated and has a very steep learning curve. Clients will need to hire a Drupal expert webmaster and general users can't simply train themselves to use Drupal like they can be trained to use Joomla. Compared to Joomla, Drupal's administrative console is like a fighter jet console.

In terms of the open source communities supporting the CMS's, Joomla has a much larger developer community compared to Drupal. This is an indication that open source developers prefer to work on Joomla rather than bang their heads on the table working on Drupal.

And to make it even worse for businesses that choose Drupal, High quality experienced Drupal developers are a lot harder to find and are more expensive than Joomla developers. Experienced developers prefer to work on Joomla rather than Drupal.

One of many successful famous Joomla websites is linux.com. People who work at linux.com are known for being obsessed about code quality and are the best and smartest of programmers. No matter how many government websites you can quote being on Drupal, the fact that linux.com is on Joomla outweighs them all.

Just a bit of off-topic fun fact, Linux Foundation, the organisation behind linux.com, employs Linus Torvalds (arguably one of the smartest programmers alive) the person who created Linux operating system and GIT.

Anyone who knows someone in the Linux Foundation? (Nudge them a bit to upgrade their Joomla.. hehe.)

Currently I can't use Wordpress as a document management system. Don't think that will happen because WP is just an entry-level CMS primarily for blogging and not as a repository CMS.
http://www.ictstart.com.ph
facebook.com/ictstart

ym1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby ym1 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:43 pm

Considering using Joomla and was looking up differences between Joomla vs Wordpress.

xtianus2014 wrote:WordPress seems rigid. Everything is based upon its template.

Didn't use to think this, but having this issues more and more. I'd like to completely remove dates from post articles. The way to do this is to create a child theme and edit the code in the functions.php, but if you want to use another theme you have to go back in and do it over again. I just want articles without dates.

What sort of document management system are you talking about @digitalcomet?

Return to “The Lounge”