PageRank died? So, what's next?

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
Locked
User avatar
changlee
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:05 am
Location: Greece
Contact:

PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by changlee » Mon May 30, 2016 6:52 pm

Hello,
According to many news like https://disqus.com/home/channel/globals ... _pagerank/ I was wondering what is next?

Google will terminate every API she provides to users in order to shut down EVERY access to the SEO status info of every site, or Google will provide a total new product like PageRank and much more?
Last edited by toivo on Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: mod note: locked topic to stop attracting spam
If you do not programm your life, someone else will do it for you.
Free and low cost Templates at: https://www.b2b-templates.com

John Adam
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:42 am

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by John Adam » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:55 am

I think Google will provide a new system with more complicated algorithm, but it wont be something like PageRank.

User avatar
changlee
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:05 am
Location: Greece
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by changlee » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:47 am

Their system is using PageRank but internally. Not for public reasones. I am afraid that Google will kill any public tool that proves SEO levels for websites.

The reason is obvious.
If you do not programm your life, someone else will do it for you.
Free and low cost Templates at: https://www.b2b-templates.com

MateoBgd
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:21 pm

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by MateoBgd » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:28 pm

Even if that's so, PageRank is only one tiny bit of the huge puzzle that Google's algorythm is. There are many other useful tools, but still I don't think that it is in their best interest to stop offering those kind of free tools. Anyways we'll see what will happen.

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 5497
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by sozzled » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:18 pm

There's a lot of mythology about "page rank"; there's a lot of folklore and discussion forums (like this one) merely propagate the mysticism. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but what are the facts?

This forum has hundreds of posts where people tell us stories about the "importance" of page rank and—you know something—none of them quote any authoritative sources. There is a huge difference between established fact and people's opinions—just ask all the people who voted in favour of BREXIT, right?

I don't believe in mythology, folklore, things-that-go-bump-in-the-night, gremlins, ghosts or the "unexplained". I rely on fact, on evidence, on reliable information and then I'll form my own opinion.

So, enough about whether Google or Bing or any other search engine uses a page rank score in determining SERPs; the search engines either do or they don't. My belief is that they haven't used a page rank score in years; others can believe differently. That's my two-cents ... and now I will go offer another goat as a sacrifice to appease the search engine gods.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

User avatar
changlee
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:05 am
Location: Greece
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by changlee » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:21 pm

PR was a great tool about Google's opinion on websites. PR5 website were more strong than PR1 websites. So many people exchanched PR5 and PR6 backlinks. That messed up millions of Google results posiotions.

So Google cut the problem from the tree root ;-)
If you do not programm your life, someone else will do it for you.
Free and low cost Templates at: https://www.b2b-templates.com

User avatar
developerdev
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:26 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by developerdev » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:20 pm

Google's recent large update has hit me big time for SEO but I just have to go along with it.

It now indexed my url parameters so it's x16 what my homepage had so it's taking forever to remove/block the URLs and crawl my site to update and recover the old stats.

Trust flow and high PA / DA is always going to be the winner. Content and tonnes of bad backlinks means nothing today.

User avatar
changlee
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:05 am
Location: Greece
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by changlee » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:00 pm

Can you please explain to the audience what is the Trust flow and high PA / DA, please?
If you do not programm your life, someone else will do it for you.
Free and low cost Templates at: https://www.b2b-templates.com

User avatar
developerdev
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:26 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by developerdev » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:41 pm

Trust Flow is one of the Majestic Flow Metrics, which is
weighted by the number of clicks from a seed set of
trusted sites to a given URL, or Domain.

Citation Flow is one of the Majestic Flow Metrics, which is
weighted by the number citations to a given URL, or
Domain.

Domain Authority is a score (on a 100-point scale) developed by Moz that predicts how well a website will rank on search engines. Use Domain Authority when comparing one site to another or tracking the “strength” of your website over time. We calculate this metric by combining all of our other link metrics—linking root domains, number of total links, MozRank, MozTrust, etc.—into a single score.

Page Authority is a score (on a 100-point scale) developed by Moz that predicts how well a specific page will rank on search engines. It is based off data from the Mozscape web index and includes link counts, MozRank, MozTrust, and dozens of other factors. It uses a machine learning model to predictively find an algorithm that best correlates with rankings across the thousands of search results that we predict against.


This is cited from both majestic and moz respectively.

User avatar
changlee
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:05 am
Location: Greece
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by changlee » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:03 pm

gameofbuzz wrote:...The best way to stay in the game is to build quality backlinks from High Pr sites...
And how you can work on that where the PR has died? How can I manage these websites fame while I do not know its PR... :eek:
If you do not programm your life, someone else will do it for you.
Free and low cost Templates at: https://www.b2b-templates.com

User avatar
daica85
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:17 pm
Location: SG
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by daica85 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:50 am

I think that beside PR we have many other factors that have important in SEO such as PA, DA, CF, TF,...These factors was developed by Moz and it's commonly using now in all SEO ranking factors. IMO.

User avatar
foxter
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:29 am
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by foxter » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:34 am

daica85 wrote:I think that beside PR we have many other factors that have important in SEO such as PA, DA, CF, TF,...These factors was developed by Moz and it's commonly using now in all SEO ranking factors. IMO.
Where can I check "PA, DA, CF, TF" for my website? How Can I improve these values? :pop

User avatar
developerdev
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:26 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by developerdev » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:59 pm

foxter wrote:
daica85 wrote:I think that beside PR we have many other factors that have important in SEO such as PA, DA, CF, TF,...These factors was developed by Moz and it's commonly using now in all SEO ranking factors. IMO.
Where can I check "PA, DA, CF, TF" for my website? How Can I improve these values? :pop
Checkout Majestic.com for everything that contains your queries. Google is all about trust and quite frankly, Majestic is better than GMT.
https://www.devlincreative.co.uk
Web designer specialising in Joomla, Wordpress & Magento from the UK

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 5497
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by sozzled » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:04 am

Here's a free tip for anyone who asks the question "PageRank died, so what's next?" The answer: nothing!

Deal with it! Complain to Google ... >:(
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

Tallinna
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:01 pm

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by Tallinna » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:21 pm

PageRank is dead but Majestic TrustRank has shown to be correlated very strongly to search results.

siobhandiaz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by siobhandiaz » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:49 pm

Google is responsible for PR which hasn't been updated since 2013. DA doesn't belong to Google. It's made by Moz.

Galleri
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:53 am
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by Galleri » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:03 am

I can only recommend Ahrefs - In my opinion the best tracker on the web.

JRmastering777
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:50 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by JRmastering777 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:06 am

Technically, pages are still ranked by Google. There has to be some algorithm and ranking system so the pages appear in a specific order.

It's just no longer PAGERANK, that you can check and get a number.

MOZ authority checker will give you a solid page strength rating. As far as I know, its the next best thing to pagerank. https://moz.com/researchtools/ose/

Galleri
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:53 am
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by Galleri » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:00 pm

It is true - Pages are still ranked by google according to a secret algorithm they use. No one knows exactly how it works, except Google. However links are still the most important single thing to do, if you want to rank high. After that is it how fast your page load, content and intern linking.

You can use ahrefs, majestic etc to give you a hint of how strong your page is - however you cant rely 100% on the results.

User avatar
changlee
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:05 am
Location: Greece
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by changlee » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Yes, I agree with that. Is there any way to check a website's popularity?
If you do not programm your life, someone else will do it for you.
Free and low cost Templates at: https://www.b2b-templates.com

alex29
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:25 am

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by alex29 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:35 pm

changlee wrote:Yes, I agree with that. Is there any way to check a website's popularity?
I think that the closest figure to it's pagerank mozrank. And another one is alexa rank, which shows the site's popularity.

schilderijen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by schilderijen » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:40 pm

Mozrank or Ahref. But don't rely entirely on "pagerank". Work on your traffic, that is the most important thing. :)

QuoteMe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:16 pm

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by QuoteMe » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:12 pm

I'm using Ahrefs in my daily work on [ redacted ] and [ redacted ]. It's clearly not the same as GPR and the Ahrefs people don't have all the answers or knowledge about how Google calculates PR (I also experience that Ahrefs results "fluctuate" quite a bit from day to day), but still a very good indication if you're working the the right or wrong direction. Just don't look at it only from day-to-day.
Last edited by toivo on Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: removed URLs

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso
Posts: 3415
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:56 pm
Location: Kent / Sussex / Surrey border UK
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by gws » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:28 pm

Maybe I have missed something, what advantage is a paid for ahref over the free google analytics?

QuoteMe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:16 pm

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by QuoteMe » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:36 pm

gws wrote:Maybe I have missed something, what advantage is a paid for ahref over the free google analytics?
I use Ahrefs mainly to check how we are ranking on individual search words... can't do that with GA. And I also use it to keep an eye on competitors... and get ideas for new search words, landing pages etc.

nguyenquangbinh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 6:00 am
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by nguyenquangbinh » Sun May 20, 2018 2:11 pm

I used ahref mainly for backlink analysis. Google Analytics is a different type of product though.

surya_semesta
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:58 am

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by surya_semesta » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:06 am

I think Google AI can read contents more clever

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 5497
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by sozzled » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:59 am

This topic is dead and it only attracts necro-posting, non Joomla-related "information" that has been rejected and debunked by the experts. Although the topic may have served a purpose two years ago, facts are facts: Google does not use PageRank in connection with indexing websites. That's the fact. Apart from stating the facts, there is no other purpose to allow this nonsense discussion to continue.

I repeat what I wrote nearly two years ago:
sozzled wrote:Here's a free tip for anyone who asks the question "PageRank died, so what's next?" The answer: nothing!

Deal with it! Complain to Google ... >:(
@forum moderators: please lock this spam-bait topic. Thanks.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

User avatar
toivo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar
Posts: 9692
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:48 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: PageRank died? So, what's next?

Post by toivo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:51 am

This topic has now been locked.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator
my first programs were assembled and run in 16KB :)
troubleshooting smtp and other articles https://talikka.com/joomla


Locked

Return to “The Lounge”