What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
Advance Calgary
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by Advance Calgary » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:17 pm

Hi there I work as a freelance web developer who mostly did HTML and CSS websites up to this point and now have been using WordPress regularly as well.

I'm looking to expand my horizons by learning other website building software as well such as Joomla or Adobe Muse. My question is what are the main benefits Joomla offers over WordPress or anything else?

If there one thing, or a few things, it does better that makes people choose it over other options? I've tried to look for this info online and have found very few opinions on the matter.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated thanks! :D :D :D
Last edited by toivo on Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: mod note: topic locked to stop spam

H13
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by H13 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi, such question is always hard to answer. It is a matter of taste which program you will use.

For me, Joomla! is more CMS, Wordpress is more blog. I like the "engine" of the Joomla! CMS. It is modern written framework made by modern and effective methods, great extensible and highly powerful. With Joomla! you are not limited and you can build unlimited features on your website. All parts of your site (core, extensions - components, plugins, modules and templates) can "play" together thanks to features ready for system extension.

I like the option to make rapid development of extensions and easily and quickly extend Joomla! to fit my needs.

Jan
- Phoca Cart - Joomla eCommerce App - https://www.phoca.cz/phocacart
- Phoca Gallery - powerful image gallery
- Phoca Restaurant Menu - https://www.phoca.cz/phocamenu
- Phoca Download - download manager for Joomla

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Security !!! Joomla has a great security team. Wordpress (on the whole) has had more vulnerabilities and doesn't update as frequently.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Galleri
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Galleri » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Wordpress in my opinion is mostly used for blogs, whereas Joomla is more about the CMS. As Webdongle stated, there is also the thing regarding the security.

But try both out and find what suits you the best.

feste
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by feste » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:23 pm

I prefer doing my own HTML and CSS for my own website because that way I have more control. I personally would not use Joomla for my own website, which is essentially small, static and non-commercial, because it would involve more trouble than it is worth.

However I also 'webmaster' 4 Joomla sites, which are not small, or static and two have a commercial element. I have also done a couple of Wordpress installations. Both Joomla and WP require maintaining i.e. keeping up to date as regards the software and here WP is in my opinion MASSIVELY easier to maintain than Joomla and will in fact maintain itself, by and large, simply notifying you when it has done so; whereas Joomla, in my experience, is far from straight-forward, which may well not be entirely Joomla's 'fault' but partly dependent on the host's set-up. So the decision of whether you go for Joomla or WP [or Drupal or Cushy or any of the others] will depend on what kind of user you are and what your intended purpose for a website. Horses for courses and all that.

It is utter rubbish to suggest that WP is only good for blogs. It is good for blogs and was originally designed with that in mind but there must now be millions of websites built using it and making use of all the built in features and plugins. Against that, Joomla is far more versatile that WP; there are extensions [many free] that to anything you want whereas WP is much more limited in that respect.

That's my two penn'orth

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:04 pm

feste wrote:... whereas Joomla, in my experience, is far from straight-forward ...
Point to note that the more versatile anything is and the more options anything has then it will (by its very nature) be less "straight-forward".

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:21 am

joomla has 6 letters, wordpress has 9 so for a start its easier to spell and uses less ink/typing.
beyond that its personal choice.
a ford over a honda . a bike over a skateboard.
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:21 am

A couple of differences:

- Images
Managing images is a whole lot easier in Joomla. For example, you can't make custom folders in WP.
Images are always saved in AT LEAST three sizes, very often a lot more.

- Multilanguage
Joomla is 100% multilingual. WP not at all. you can, with a lot of difficulty, translate with extensions, but I really recommend to forget WP if you want to do multi languages. Especially managing translations of articles is a real nightmare.

- Security
About the same, but since WP is much more popular and consequently used by non technical people, far more prone to hacking. (Extra) Securing a WP site isn't easy, but in Joomla it is.

edroberts1943
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by edroberts1943 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:52 pm

Pick one and learn everything you can about it. Joomla is huge. I am trying to learn the internals and guess I'll be working on it for a long time. My guess is Word Press and the others will take a lot of work to become proficient too.

jacker2017
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jacker2017 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:35 am

Gany wrote:A couple of differences:

- Images
Managing images is a whole lot easier in Joomla. For example, you can't make custom folders in WP.
Images are always saved in AT LEAST three sizes, very often a lot more.

- Multilanguage
Joomla is 100% multilingual. WP not at all. you can, with a lot of difficulty, translate with extensions, but I really recommend to forget WP if you want to do multi languages. Especially managing translations of articles is a real nightmare.

- Security
About the same, but since WP is much more popular and consequently used by non technical people, far more prone to hacking. (Extra) Securing a WP site isn't easy, but in Joomla it is.
Support of multi languages is the most important feature to any software.After all there will be time when Local development will be more powerful than global.

jacker2017
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jacker2017 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:44 am

WordPress is more simple and many think user friendly and as is mentioned above is Blog or for blog.But in past few years get huge expansions because of some good packages of Plugins which can transform in any design you can see on the net.
Joomla is CMS and quite huge potential in the future of web design.

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:45 pm

No, it's not more simple. If you compare a Joomla template with a WP theme, a Joomla template is a LOT easier to write. Because WP started as a one trick pony managing a site looks easier. WP was (no longer) made for blogging, the whole administrative interface is fully focused on that. Still is. That's why it looks easier.

Most blogs are one language only. That's why managing a multi language site in WP is an absolute nightmare.
Most bloggers place one pic or a few in an post. They normally don't care where those pics are stored. Finding back an image in a WP site is not easy at all. Want to organize it in folders? Forget it. Not possible. You need a plugin for that.

Mikepvlc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Mikepvlc » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:12 pm

I only started using Wordpress for making a website few months and i'm pretty happy with it. Though i haven't used any other platforms even joomla. I used [spam] once and was disappointed.

I always kinda had the same notion, as most, that wordpress was primarily a blogging tool. As the name implies it, but having used it these past few months i'm pretty addicted to it and realized it does much more than blogging

Having moved from using Dreamweaver and learning html/css. WP has really accelerated everything for me. Any functionality i needed i'd just go through the thousands of plugins and find a tool that makes my life so much more easier.

Though the WP platform is very much a powerful website making platform, it still feels a bit as if you're using a blogging tool that modified to be a website tool.

I just found it strange that there is very limited folder/architecture control in terms of sorting images and media.

damo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by damo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:25 pm

There is no real difference .. it's where you started and what you prefer.

It used to be that Wordpress and Joomla were neck and neck ... some would even say Joomla led, but these days there isn't anything you can't do in Wordpress that you can do in Joomla ... some would say Wordpress is much easier and stronger.

But, I started with Joomla and I trust Joomla ...

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:07 pm

Simple. Joomla is Enterprise ready out of the box, WP is not.
- ACL, access, groups, users
- Versioning
- Multilingual
- Versatile
- SEO/SEF out of the box
- redirects management
- MVC

If your online content team is only 1 or 2 persons, you can use WP allright.. soon as your team and thus content grows, you'll soon meet the max capabilities of WP.
Joomla allows you to grow.

Also the code is more consistent. Extensions development can be done faster and easier because of that. Time is money.

Authoring in Joomla is not much harder than authoring in WP. I trained a few people ages ago (in 1.5 era) to author their content and publish articles. Sites started with 1.5 and have been upgraded over the years to current 3.6. None of the authors ever needed extra assistance afterwards. The first users now training their new colleagues. And when asked it never takes them more than 15-30 minutes to explain.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Agree on this too. This is an better analysis of the difference key points of Joomla and WordPress and that Joomla is better regarding security. Joomla is easy to set up, maintain and use its just a question of quick learning.
waarnemer wrote:Simple. Joomla is Enterprise ready out of the box, WP is not.
- ACL, access, groups, users
- Versioning
- Multilingual
- Versatile
- SEO/SEF out of the box
- redirects management
- MVC

If your online content team is only 1 or 2 persons, you can use WP allright.. soon as your team and thus content grows, you'll soon meet the max capabilities of WP.
Joomla allows you to grow.

Also the code is more consistent. Extensions development can be done faster and easier because of that. Time is money.

Authoring in Joomla is not much harder than authoring in WP. I trained a few people ages ago (in 1.5 era) to author their content and publish articles. Sites started with 1.5 and have been upgraded over the years to current 3.6. None of the authors ever needed extra assistance afterwards. The first users now training their new colleagues. And when asked it never takes them more than 15-30 minutes to explain.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:30 am

ImWinner wrote:I think the main benefit of Joomla is security, because most of the hackers have been working on Wordpress sites and Joomla is quite different.
I have no information about that "most hackers have been working on Wordpress sites" but if you say so and know this its amazing.

Do you have a link to that investigation?

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:00 am

Darb, Joomla is not 100% secure. I have several Joomla sites that have been hacked. Only once seriously, though. On the bright site: it's a lot easier to secure Joomla. AdminExile will keep most hackers at bay.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:59 pm

You can check and read this comparison too and its a good one! https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-word ... a-jay-blaq

Why WordPress Developers need to take another look at Joomla 3.

PamelaJobs
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by PamelaJobs » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:36 am

Hi there,

Easy to set up

Joomla! is rather simple to set up. It takes just around ten minutes from downloading to having a working manuscript on a server. It is not as very easy as Quick.Cms or WordPress, yet is still much less complex than Drupal.

Plugins

The script has several hundreds of totally free plugins available at the homepage. WordPress could have a lot more, but making it as useful as Joomla!, you need to instal lots or two plugins to start with.

Support

There is abundance of developer's tools as well as tutorials available for users. There's likewise a substantial conversation board.

Navigating administration

The script has a thorough navigation system, that could successfully take care of several power structures. It allows to easily handle a site even with couple hundred subpages.

Good looking Links

Hyperlinks created by the manuscript are really pleasant as well as make for better Search Engine Optimization positioning.
Updates

When the web page style is ready, there will certainly come a time to upgrade the script to a more recent version. You can do it from internet browser.

Advanced administration

Administration panel offers numerous features that could be daunting in the beginning. In time, nonetheless, you can understand the majority of them to utilize the complete potential of the manuscript.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:01 pm

PamelaJobs wrote:Hi there,

Easy to set up

Joomla! is rather simple to set up. It takes just around ten minutes from downloading to having a working manuscript on a server. It is not as very easy as Quick.Cms or WordPress, yet is still much less complex than Drupal.
Are we talking about Easy to set up with a blog with one button install that works the same for hosts that have a one button 30 seconds to install for all cms or what are we talking about when set up a "manuscripts"?

Joomla is easier to set up for for many reasons than WordPress and Drupal. And for Quick.CMS I have no knowledge of them but this is not the discussion here so this should be removed for this discussion

Dont forget the security. This is the security vulnerabilities for 2016-2017 for WordPress and Joomla.

Joomla
2016 6
2017 1

WordPress
2016 20
2017 23

Source: http://www.cvedetails.com

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:29 am

Gany wrote:Darb, Joomla is not 100% secure. I have several Joomla sites that have been hacked. Only once seriously, though. On the bright site: it's a lot easier to secure Joomla. AdminExile will keep most hackers at bay.
I have several Joomla sites and they have never been hacked since 2005.

There is no system that is 100% secure but if you want to have the most secure system you can also look at the security vulnerabilities numbers about the software. And as site owner you must understand what you are doing to protect your web site in all aspects.

And AdminExile is not the solution! for improving Joomla security but can help you protect your admin login page. Nor is free JHackGuard https://www.siteground.com/joomla-hosti ... /jhack.htm that also protect your admin login url direct access and doing more stuff

This is the security vulnerabilities for 2016-2017 for WordPress and Joomla.

Joomla
2016 6
2017 1

WordPress
2016 20
2017 23

Source: http://www.cvedetails.com

WordPress have 23 security vulnerabilities for 2017 and Joomla have 1 security vulnerabilities for 2017 etc.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:53 am

Gany wrote:... Joomla is not 100% secure. I have several Joomla sites that have been hacked...
Nothing is 100% secure but the majority of hacked Joomla sites are not because of Joomal

Not updating
Using hackable servers like gddy
Having wpress sites on the same server
Not keeping software up to date
Admin etc. with server/ftp/Joomla edit/upload permissions ... having insecure/hacked PC's
Are some of the main causes of being hacked.

When you see a hack in a site you are not seeing a hack ... what you are seeing is the result of a hack that originated elsewhere on the server !!!

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:51 pm

Webdongle wrote:
Gany wrote:... Joomla is not 100% secure. I have several Joomla sites that have been hacked...
Nothing is 100% secure but the majority of hacked Joomla sites are not because of Joomal

Not updating
Using hackable servers like gddy
Having wpress sites on the same server
Not keeping software up to date
Admin etc. with server/ftp/Joomla edit/upload permissions ... having insecure/hacked PC's
Are some of the main causes of being hacked.

When you see a hack in a site you are not seeing a hack ... what you are seeing is the result of a hack that originated elsewhere on the server !!!
100% agree on this analysis..

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Mon May 15, 2017 10:02 am

100% thumbs up.. like most people are advised to use rsfirewall, admin tools and such, it will not save you from other sites (ie other applications, wp, drupal, whatever else webbases stuff) running on the same server.

A proper firewalled server, iptables in combination with fail2ban can protect your platform alltogether from bruteforce attempts. At least when setup properly of course.

When using a CDN like cloudflare, be sure to update the iptable there also (use the CF api)
Nice touch is that when some hacker attempts to hit on a Joomla site, he will be blocked for all applications and sites running on that server.

(you'd be amazed by the length of your blocked IP list... )

Check https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... /fail2ban/
Last edited by imanickam on Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: As per the forum rule, changed the URL of the extension from the developer's URL to the JED URL. Kindly make a note of this in the future posting when referencing an extension.

Doler
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

joomla and wordpress which is better

Post by Doler » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:22 am

Currently I use Wordpress for the majority of my sites. Lately I've been considering using Joomla for a few sites so I thought I'd post here to see if the Joomla community might sway me to use Joomla over Wordpress.
Any opinions or advice about using Joomla vs Wordpress would be appreciated.

here ex site use Wordpress: [ redacted ]
Last edited by imanickam on Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged with the topic f=48&t=898264

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: joomla and wordpress which is better

Post by gws » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:47 pm

This is a joomla forum,so joomla is best... however if you search the forums you will find this has been discussed to infinity.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:15 pm

Best is to download and install it with sample data. Then add a few Extensions and try it out.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:45 pm

Wordpress # of Vulnerabilities

2016 20

2017 40

Joomla # of Vulnerabilities

2016 6

2017 17

https://www.cvedetails.com/

lefteriskavadas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by lefteriskavadas » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:09 pm

Wordpress # of Vulnerabilities

2016 20

2017 40

Joomla # of Vulnerabilities

2016 6

2017 17

https://www.cvedetails.com/
Don't want to be bad here but this has also to do with the market share. The difference is quite big and that explains why the number of vulnerabilities discovered is bigger for WordPress.

So to summarize, security is not a reason to pick Joomla over WordPress.

The best thing you can do is evaluate both platforms and choose the one that fits your needs better.
Joomla Extensions https://www.firecoders.com/

Return to “The Lounge”