What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso
Posts: 3382
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:56 pm
Location: Kent / Sussex / Surrey border UK
Contact:

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by gws » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:03 pm

Are you sure? surely it is vulnerabilities in the code which is not relevant to market share.

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 34723
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by Webdongle » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:57 pm

lefteriskavadas wrote:...
Don't want to be bad here but this has also to do with the market share. The difference is quite big and that explains why the number of vulnerabilities discovered is bigger for WordPress.....
Your assumption is incorrect because the number of times wp is installed has no affect on the amount of errors in the core code.

User avatar
lefteriskavadas
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:10 pm
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by lefteriskavadas » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:24 pm

Webdongle wrote:
lefteriskavadas wrote:...
Don't want to be bad here but this has also to do with the market share. The difference is quite big and that explains why the number of vulnerabilities discovered is bigger for WordPress.....
Your assumption is incorrect because the number of times wp is installed has no affect on the amount of errors in the core code.

My assumption makes perfect sense. Hackers will try to hack the most popular platform. So more installations means more hacking attempts which results in more vulnerabilities discovery.

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 34723
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by Webdongle » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:53 pm

lefteriskavadas wrote:... more installations means more hacking attempts which results in more vulnerabilities discovery.
That's the same logic as.
All dogs bark therefore a seal must be a dog because it barks.
Last edited by Webdongle on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

goodbyeplanet
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:52 pm

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by goodbyeplanet » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:04 am

At this point I cant see any benefit. I have extensive experience in both and I can tell you that wordpress will remove lots of stress from you especially as pertains to updates. Very rare for a wordpress website to break after an update. Joomla unfortunately seems not to have yet mastered the art of pushing updates without breaking websites. I should be sleeping at this moment at 12.02 midnight but I am up here because a client's joomla website has broken in pieces after updating to 3.8.1, an experience which I have never had with a wordpress site.

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 34723
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by Webdongle » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:30 am

goodbyeplanet wrote:... Very rare for a wordpress website to break after an update. ...
I have read somewhere the explanation for that. It is to do with the fact that wp sacrifices security in favour of backward compatibility because many 3rd party devs don't update their code.


goodbyeplanet wrote:... Joomla unfortunately seems not to have yet mastered the art of pushing updates without breaking websites. ....
Joomla updates rarely are the cause of the site failing. The main causes are
  • Badly configured servers
  • 3rd party extensions/Templates not being updated
  • 3rd party 'one click'/template installs being used to create the site.

goodbyeplanet wrote:... I should be sleeping at this moment at 12.02 midnight but I am up here because a client's joomla website has broken in pieces after updating to 3.8.1, ....
A backup can be restored in just a few minutes. Then set Protostar as default Template ... then Components >>> Manage >>> Manage ... show all and order ID descending ... you can disable the 3rd party extensions/template(s) and update. It's that simple.

User avatar
Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1143
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:38 am

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by Gany » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:00 am

darb wrote:Wordpress # of Vulnerabilities

2016 20
2017 40

Joomla # of Vulnerabilities

2016 6
2017 17

https://www.cvedetails.com/
I see that WP has a 100% but Joomla a 300% increase in vulnerabilities. Therefore, Joomla is deteriorating. :D

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 5335
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by sozzled » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:13 am

Using a small sample set (i.e. six instances in 2016 for Joomla compared with twenty instances for WP in 2016) and attempting to extrapolate that Joomla is deteriorating at a higher rate than WP is nonsense. Put this another way, according to the figures quoted, Joomla is still not as bad today as WP was a year ago but WP (today) is twice as bad as Joomla is today.

It's like saying, last year I had zero cases of where I stubbed my toes on the furniture and this years I had 1 case: therefore, this year (compared with last year) is infinitely worse for stubbing my toe.

It's just nonsense. This entire topic is nonsense.

Joomla may have some benefits over using Wordpress (in some areas) and Wordpress may have some benefits over Joomla. LEGO® has benefits over both Joomla and Wordpress ... depending on what you're trying to do. And, before anyone tries to suggest that comparing Joomla or Wordpress to LEGO® is off-topic or irrelevant, I would say that comparing statistics about security implications (one with another) or the rate of deterioriation in terms of reliability, robustness and security are no different. We're not comparing apples with apples.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

User avatar
Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1143
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:38 am

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by Gany » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:20 am

I fully agree with you. Hence my distortion of our taxidermists statistics. Joomla is good, WP is good. It simply depends on what you want to do.

User avatar
Dangerous Boy
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:25 pm
Location: Home

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by Dangerous Boy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:58 am

I have use Joomla! and WP, I have build components, plugins, modules & bridges for Joomla! as well plugins for WP.

I can express how happy I'm when a client want a website build with Joomla!, just look at the way everything is organize, users, content, plugins, etc., WP on the other hand I still have to spend a few minutes reading documentation and still can't find basic stuff.

Some how WP has a very nice and fast indexing rate while Joomla takes time...

Someone already pointed out that, the more attention it gets, it means more "hacking", that is true.

As a developer I prefer to work with Joomla! any day.
As a regular user, ... Joomla!.
As a client, WP, the reason is, fast indexing.

Clients want their sites to be indexed fast without spending a cent on advertising/campaigns, no matter what you do to Joomla! it will not get indexed as fast as WP, even so, I still take Joomla! any time!
Nothing for the moment....

User avatar
darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1286
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Contact:

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by darb » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:25 pm

I think Wordpress have some benefits and Joomla have its strenghts too one of the being more secure than Wordpress.

On another sidnote Joomla won a prize today as "Best free CMS 2017" with Wordpress as a runner up https://www.cmscritic.com/awards/


And the statistics from that market share tells its own story depending how good a cms/you are at hiding your system from these sniffers

"How accurate is your information? https://w3techs.com/faq

It is impossible for this type of surveys to be 100% accurate
, since websites can choose to hide most of their technologies, if they want to. See also our disclaimer for some more information. There is no way to be absolutely sure not to get some errors in the technology identification. We try to find ways to balance the false-positives and the false-negatives (after eliminating as many as possible), and we try to make sure that none of the remaining errors are clustering on one technology rather than another."
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

waarnemer
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1932
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 12:37 pm

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by waarnemer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:27 pm

still, the # of vulnerabilities is an absolute number, not a relative one.

Of course the usual answer her is biassed.

My arguments for J! over * are:

J! is enterprise ready
J! has proper ACL
J! is about content creation
J! has superior multilingual functionality
J! template design is way better and easier than in any other CMS
J! is a true community driven CMS (maybe even the only real community driven CMS)

despite rumours and myths
J! routing system is NOT causing bad scores in Google (and it has improved)
J! authoring is NOT harder than in WP it takes as much time in the beginning and will save you time on re using content
J! compared to others is NOT harder to install..
many more myths can easily be busted..


Of course I am biassed in any way....

But the community is truly great.
My number one argument and reason I sticked with J!. the community welcoming not only the experienced but also the new users to J!.

davidwlgs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:51 pm

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by davidwlgs » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:04 pm

I like to use Joomla for more complex projects and I like to use WordPress for the sites that need more content.

Both are easy to use and very extendable.

Jonesoliver2017
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by Jonesoliver2017 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:35 pm

Each has its own qualities but majority of this 2 CMS. In my own opinion most of the people using Joomla are those who are hardcore in coding, on the other hand wordpress is very easy to use and doesn't need you to be good in coding to create your own site.

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 34723
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by Webdongle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:44 pm

Users of Joomla don't need to know coding ... it is just Joomla offers more customisation. Newbies often have problems serverside and think Joomla needs coding expertise as a result of bad/ ill-configured servers.

User avatar
darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1286
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Contact:

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by darb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:06 pm

Jonesoliver2017 wrote:Each has its own qualities but majority of this 2 CMS. In my own opinion most of the people using Joomla are those who are hardcore in coding, on the other hand wordpress is very easy to use and doesn't need you to be good in coding to create your own site.
Well that is not true bcs Joomla is not only for "those who are hardcore in coding". On contrary more easy to use as a site owner to maintain and set up compared to Wordpress in my own opinion. There have also being real world test with Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress that showed that. But bcs no commercial CMS want to do that test again anymore, bcs its was not in favour of them, that competition test did not happened again and was also removed from the web :)

And thats why it also exist smart Putin Wordpress trolls in forums and elsewhere to convince and brainwash people that dont know what is true or "fake news" about Joomla or not.

You can install a Joomla site in 20 seconds https://www.joomla.com/ and the use the extension directory to install extensions ( apps, plugins,..) to customize your site and also set up a design page builders (ccks) templates to do your site as you wish within 5 minutes. https://extensions.joomla.org/tags/cont ... /?start=18

I think Wordpress is easy for people that have not tried Joomla and have not had the opportunity to really try Joomla and also how powerful and flexible it can be compared to Wordpress. Joomla you can grow with in the future bcs its robust, flexible, more secure than Wordpress and can handle more users in a better way.
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

rogerKamena
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by rogerKamena » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:14 pm

One of the things that haven't been mentioned this thread yet are the caching advantages of Joomla. Caching and website speed are some of the biggest flaws in Wordpress. I'm still a big Wordpress user, however on projects where we used Joomla, the caching engineering options were vastly superior and gave better results. That doesn't mean you can't achieve it with Wordpress, but i find it's not as good.

jonnybhoy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:43 pm
Contact:

Migrate from Wordpress.org

Post by jonnybhoy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi there, first post, here goes... what would be the main benefits/drawbacks of migrating my site from Wordpress.org to Joomla? Newbie here, so be gentle please!

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso
Posts: 3382
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:56 pm
Location: Kent / Sussex / Surrey border UK
Contact:

Re: Migrate from Wordpress.org

Post by gws » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:21 pm

If you scrolled down this forum you would have found your answer. viewtopic.php?f=48&t=946588

jonnybhoy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Migrate from Wordpress.org

Post by jonnybhoy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:23 pm

Thank you for your help!

jonnybhoy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:43 pm
Contact:

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by jonnybhoy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:26 pm

OK, I've read the reasons above and still can't figure it out. For me performance would be my main reason for switching to Joomla, but I don't see any replies stating that performance is better with Joomla. Is it better, or can it be better?

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 34723
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by Webdongle » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:23 pm

Define perfomance please ... speed, security, easy of use, ease of navigating, ability to add different templates, accessibility ... etc. ?

jonnybhoy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:43 pm
Contact:

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by jonnybhoy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:28 pm

Sure...all of these :laugh: with page load speed being most important

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 5335
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by sozzled » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:48 pm

What is totally unremarkable about this [useless time-wasting] discussion is that it began two years ago, by a person who had created a forum acccount six months before they wrote their one and only contribution, that read:
Advance Calgary wrote:... I work as a freelance web developer who mostly did HTML and CSS websites up to this point and now have been using WordPress regularly as well.

I'm looking to expand my horizons by learning other website building software as well such as Joomla or Adobe Muse. My question is what are the main benefits Joomla offers over WordPress or anything else?
In other words, in the entire time—two years of rambling nonsense and ongoing opportunities for people to add spam—there was never any acknowledgement or thanks from the OP for the replies that have been made. Who knows (or cares) if this person ever "worked" or continues to "work" as a freelance web developer. They've disappeared, probably happy doing their "HTML and CSS ... Wordpress" websites and ... good luck to them.

For my part, I'm not "interested" in "expanding my horizons" to invest time in an alternative CMS framework. I've invested tens of thousands of hours helping people with website-related problems—Joomla problems—or writing articles about webcraft in general, not to mention the money I've forked out from my own pocket to buy books, software, attend conferences, etc. The profit that I've made—the profit that I contine to make—is when I read "Thank you, Sozzled" or when I see that I've awakened someone to explore new possibilities that they'd not considered.

I don't have the inclination to pursue "other website building software" nor will I be persuaded or convinced by other "insights". I have an open mind; others can do whatever they want. If they don't want Joomla then that's fine: just don't use this forum to ramrod one's self-absorbed views down others' throats.

I think, after two years of lounge-room socialising, we should probably move on to other matters. If people want to discuss the benefits of brand-X in the Joomla house then they should probably take those talks outside and enjoy the fresh air ... and good luck to them, too. 8)
Last edited by sozzled on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

jonnybhoy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:43 pm
Contact:

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by jonnybhoy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:51 pm

Lol is that what people call a 'rant'?!

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 5335
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by sozzled » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:55 pm

jonnybhoy wrote:Lol is that what people call a 'rant'?!
Is that what people called a considered, respectful, response? :p
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

jonnybhoy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:43 pm
Contact:

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by jonnybhoy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:10 pm

I'm just pulling your leg old son. Rant away!

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 5335
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by sozzled » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:43 pm

"Page load speed" is not determined solely by the CMS framework that's involved in constructing a website. There are innumerable other factors involved (mostly to do with the hosting platform used in each case). Obviously, a website that's hosted on a Windows XP box with a i286 single-core processor will not perform as well as a system that's dedicated to serving websites that's built with the latest releases of server software, PHP interpreter or database engine.

If people are curious about whether Joomla (as opposed to any other form of CMS framework) is any good (let alone if it's "better" than alternatives) then no amount of testimonials from others will be likely to affect their decisions. There are over 1.5 billion websites in the world today and, as surprising as this may sound, they're all different. What one person does—and how one person goes about doing it—may not suit the purposes of another. That's just the nature of the business.

If there is a "best" way to determine if Joomla is suitable then it's a simple matter of spending 10 minutes (literally, 10 minutes) to download the software, upload it to a webhost, install it, and try it for oneself. If people don't know how to follow that procedure there are thousands of references on the internet that will show people how to do it. If people don't even want to go to those "extremes", there's also https://joomla.com (to give people a try-before-you-buy experience).
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

jonnybhoy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:43 pm
Contact:

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by jonnybhoy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Cool, I'll try the tester, thanks. I'd need to spend a bit longer doing a longer test as I have photo galleries and I'd really like to do a like for like comparison, which for me is a ball ache, hence asking for others experienced...hopefully others have already compared and are willing to share their experience. Cheers again


Post Reply

Return to “The Lounge”