What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero
Posts: 2855
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 12:37 pm

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by waarnemer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:19 am

jonnybhoy wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:26 pm
OK, I've read the reasons above and still can't figure it out. For me performance would be my main reason for switching to Joomla, but I don't see any replies stating that performance is better with Joomla. Is it better, or can it be better?
It is better, it can be better, performance is always better, experience is better... hell yeah.. even your coffee then tastes better...

And of course no one in this joomla forum is biassed in any way... all the best reasons to ask your question here.

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by sozzled » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:53 am

Did someone mention coffee!?!? ... :eek:
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero
Posts: 2855
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 12:37 pm

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by waarnemer » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:21 am

Tine0625 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:57 am
Joomla requires the most initial care and attention in terms of SEO.
Any CMS, open source or proprietary needs the most care when it comes to SEO.
But basically the initial care in Joomla is touch two or three buttons and rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess.
about 5 to 10 seconds of work. Of you go!

User avatar
darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1681
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Contact:

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by darb » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:54 am

Yes and you can also quickly add Joomla extensons tools like for automatically metadata, upload sitemaps etc using extensions like Jsitemap monitoring your SEO/SERP performance https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/jsitemap/ or EasyFrontendSeo fixing metadata easy that you then can adjust manually for your needs and key word strategy https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... ntend-seo/

User avatar
darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1681
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Contact:

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by darb » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:10 am

lefteriskavadas wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:09 pm
Wordpress # of Vulnerabilities

2016 20

2017 40

Joomla # of Vulnerabilities

2016 6

2017 17

https://www.cvedetails.com/
Don't want to be bad here but this has also to do with the market share. The difference is quite big and that explains why the number of vulnerabilities discovered is bigger for WordPress.

So to summarize, security is not a reason to pick Joomla over WordPress.

The best thing you can do is evaluate both platforms and choose the one that fits your needs better.
Can you explain scientifically investigated report why this security measures have anything about market share to do? Seems like another used WP propaganda for me again.

So you mean that the larger market share you have the more secure is your core platform bcs of high exploit vulnerabilities security numbers and it has nothing to do with numbers of exploit vulnerabilities in the core software itself?

Meaning that the higher market share you have the higher market share of hackers doing hacking to your platform and are successful hacking your system vulnerabilities and that have to correlate with high market share?

Hight market share = high number of security vulnerabilities discovered bcs more hackers are hacking a more popular used system

I believe that even that would be the case there is no evidence that this is the reason that WP have more reported vulnerabilities over the years than Joomla and on contrary then it would be much safer and have less security vulnerabilities the last 5-6 years bcs of so much identified security vulnerabilities

I get lost here pls explain what you mean.

For me this is a very good and important reason to pick Joomla over WordPress! If you care about security.

spacecraft4
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:24 am

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by spacecraft4 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:48 am

darb wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:10 am
lefteriskavadas wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:09 pm
Wordpress # of Vulnerabilities

2016 20

2017 40

Joomla # of Vulnerabilities

2016 6

2017 17

https://www.cvedetails.com/
Don't want to be bad here but this has also to do with the market share. The difference is quite big and that explains why the number of vulnerabilities discovered is bigger for WordPress.

So to summarize, security is not a reason to pick Joomla over WordPress.

The best thing you can do is evaluate both platforms and choose the one that fits your needs better.
Can you explain scientifically investigated report why this security measures have anything about market share to do? Seems like another used WP propaganda for me again.

So you mean that the larger market share you have the more secure is your core platform bcs of high exploit vulnerabilities security numbers and it has nothing to do with numbers of exploit vulnerabilities in the core software itself?

Meaning that the higher market share you have the higher market share of hackers doing hacking to your platform and are successful hacking your system vulnerabilities and that have to correlate with high market share?

Hight market share = high number of security vulnerabilities discovered bcs more hackers are hacking a more popular used system

I believe that even that would be the case there is no evidence that this is the reason that WP have more reported vulnerabilities over the years than Joomla and on contrary then it would be much safer and have less security vulnerabilities the last 5-6 years bcs of so much identified security vulnerabilities

I get lost here pls explain what you mean.

For me this is a very good and important reason to pick Joomla over WordPress! If you care about security.
Yeah, it's like comparing number of vulnerabilites from Windows and Os X. Windows has a market share of 34%, while Os X just 7%.
I beleive that a hacker would preffer to be as efficient as he can. That's why there are more vulns discovered on the more used platforms.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero
Posts: 2855
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 12:37 pm

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by waarnemer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:11 am

Discovery of vulnerabilities may be influenced by market share.
Based on a market share indeed one may expect more discoveries in WP.

But the security comes with the reaction to the discoveries.
The rate of responses to vulnerabilities with patches and/or new releases is much higher with J!
That shows responsibility. That is why I trust J! over anything else.
I believe that a hacker would prefer to be as efficient as he can.
Most hackers are not efficient. They are just lazy. If you would check your access logs, you would see a huge amount of automated access attempts with reference to Wordpress. They are not looking for a new vulnerability, they are trying to use a KNOWN vulnerability... one that wasn't patched yet. They are even too lazy to first check if your site actually IS a WP site....
A highly popular CMS like WP with just a little effort in updating therefore becomes vulnerable.



And I like the https://vel.joomla.org also know vulnerabilities in the extensions created by third parties are being published. This warns me as user and admin, but also is very valuable information for the developers to fix their extensions. Awesome service by the VEL team! Thanks team!

BlackWoods
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:46 am

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by BlackWoods » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:53 am

I'm looking to jump from WordPress to Joomla/Drupal as well, it seems Drupal keep boasting about their Security but I guess it's because the market share is smaller, thus % of compromised sites are lower in number.

How does security of Joomla fares against Drupal?

User avatar
pe7er
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 22837
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:55 pm
Location: Nijmegen, Netherlands
Contact:

Re: What Is The Main Benefit Of Using Joomla Over WordPress

Post by pe7er » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:21 am

BlackWoods wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:53 am
How does security of Joomla fares against Drupal?
Both are good provided that:
  • You use a reliable hosting company
  • You take care of security on all levels (Server Operating System, installed server software, CMS, Extensions)
  • Get all your software from reliable sources (the original developers)
  • Keep all your software (server software, CMS, extensions) up-to-date
  • Make sure that you follow the Joomla Security Checklist https://docs.joomla.org/Security_Checklist (Drupal will probably have something similar)
Kind Regards,
Peter Martin, Global Moderator
https://db8.nl - Joomla specialist, Nijmegen, Nederland
The best website: https://the-best-website.com


Locked

Return to “The Lounge”