Whats the best Joomla Hosting?

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
brendanhedges
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Whats the best Joomla Hosting?

Post by brendanhedges » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi,
From what I understand/know, and I maybe completely wrong on the topic......

But, I have heard that many of those hosting recommendation sites are actually run by companies like EIG in the first place! They only promote themselves... Or they take paid 'Sponsorship' for the good review.

That's why I think this kind of topic would make a great 'sticky' (as long as it's based on real stories) in this kind of environment.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:13 pm

Just like anything you will get what you pay for. Any cheap monthly hosting promising unlimited this and unlimited that will be a disappointment for anything but a small site. It's simple math, resources cost money, quality support agents cost money, servers cost money so it's pretty obvious just by looking at a few metrics what is going to work. Hence the SiteGround hosting and what they offer for each package of shared hosting. They give you real numbers to what you will get for each amount of $. It's straightforward and very honest which is missing on these other pie in the sky hosts that don't disclose the limitations which are there. Really the biggest problem is they just let the bad apples ruin the shared server unlike SiteGround which gives each account enough resources to work well. That is what sets them apart from what I see so far. I have not been using them for long but I have used enough different hosting companies to know it's a great platform.

When I moved the problem site to SiteGround it used up my allowed resources for the month early which turned off my site. I corrected the problem and was back on. I also could of moved up to a higher resource account instead but I did not need to do that since it was bogus bot traffic that just needed to be shut down. I think their approach is the best as it doesn't mess up other sites on that server. So if you are not a problem you won't have problems, not like Godaddy who will never tell you the servers overloaded and that's why your site is sloooooooow and timing out. They will tell you it's your fault.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: What's the best Joomla hosting?

Post by sozzled » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:05 pm

brendanhedges wrote:I am interested to find out who you consider to be the best Joomla hosting company. Yes I know it's a little subjective, after all there is good and bad out there, and what works for one will not work for another. However, I wonder if there is a general consensus of what hosting companies are good or bad.
Very simply, you're right: the topic is subjective and, therefore, there cannot be any general consensus.

Every day we read questions posted on this forum asking, "what's the best Joomla template/component/module/plugin, etc. for selling cars, event management, displaying artwork, making toasted cheese sandwiches (or whatever else people use websites for)" and none of these topics can possibly be distilled into one simple answer (or even a choice between several alternatives). While it might be nice to have an authoritative consumer guide, and it might be nice to have that consumer guide conveniently located on the Joomla forum website, there are thousands of consumer guides on the internet that address these kinds of issues.

Quite simply, finding "the best" (whatever it might be) is a matter of personal choice. Locating "the best Joomla hosting provider" may take several attempts. I understand that people would like to be forewarned about certain providers that have a poor reputation (so that they don't make mistakes that cost them needlessly) but, for the vast majority of people who attend on this forum, the first decision that people need to make is "why do I want a website?"

A lot of people writing to this forum start by stating, "I'm trying out Joomla for the first time to learn more about designing and building websites." OK, for these people who may be students, hobbyists or enthusiasts, the cost of how they host their website may be important; for these people, Joomla is a learning experience—the beginning of a journey. Does it matter what's the "best place" to host a Joomla website? In reality, there is a wealth of information on this forum if people care to spend a few minutes looking for it. To give you an idea, I've compiled a short list of topics that have discussed this question in the past:
Obviously, the above list is subjective, too, and many of the references I've offered will not attract people to examine the contents of the discussions. The point that I'm making is that the reasons that people choose webhosting method A over webhosting method X, Y or Z are as diverse as the people who use this forum. Just as we cannot pigeon-hole or classify people into different types, I think it would be equally unfair to categorise webhosting platforms (and the companies that offer these services) either.
brendanhedges wrote:That's why I think this kind of topic would make a great 'sticky' (as long as it's based on real stories) ...
I would like to make two comments:

1) The explicit caveat—as long as the information posted in topics like these is genuine, reliable, honest and trustworthy—is a major problem. How do we know (and how do the people who examine, review and moderate this forum know) that information posted on a public discussion forum is "real"? Likewise, how can complete novices confidently rely on information posted on a public discussion forum.

2) Creating any topic as a sticky gives tacit approval to the information posted therein as being "official" (or at least officially sanctioned) by the moderator team and, indirectly, by Open Source Matters. OSM has never taken any official position on advocating "the best" of anything. Certainly, the choice of hosting provider for joomla.org is a matter for the OSM management team but, that choice and the sponsorship deal that's involved with the hosting provider nothwithstanding—it is not an endorsement that people should view the hosting provider as "the best". On the other hand, one can read into the current hosting arrangement anything that one might choose to do.

My personal opinion about whatever is "the best hosting provider for Joomla" is the service that provides a cost-effective, efficient mechanism with high availability, speedy problem resolution, reliability, security and that meets my current and expected future needs. I also appreciate local knowledgeable, professional support.

Ultimately, you get what you pay for. If you don't take time to do your own research, if you don't ask questions, if you choose only on price then you probably won't be happy. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

brendanhedges
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by brendanhedges » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:26 am

Hi Sozzled.
Thanks for your critique :) It's almost a blog post in its own right! You have some valid points that maybe I did not consider too deeply.
My personal opinion about whatever is "the best hosting provider for Joomla" is the service that provides a cost-effective, efficient mechanism with high availability, speedy problem resolution, reliability, security and that meets my current and expected future needs. I also appreciate local knowledgeable, professional support.
I would like to comment on this in particular, which is why I instigated this post in the first place. The points you have made above are exactly the kind of things that a newbie or even an experienced person would like to know about before they take the plunge and pay for, maybe 3 yrs (to get the deal) of hosting that turns out to be less than expected. I am sure if you questioned a prospective host they would promise you the world until something went wrong, then it would be a different story.

Regards

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ranwilli » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:31 am

brendanhedges wrote:...

I would like to comment on this in particular, which is why I instigated this post in the first place. The points you have made above are exactly the kind of things that a newbie or even an experienced person would like to know about before they take the plunge and pay for, maybe 3 yrs (to get the deal) of hosting that turns out to be less than expected. I am sure if you questioned a prospective host they would promise you the world until something went wrong, then it would be a different story.

I am just glad my cash flow was so bad I literally couldn't raise the cash for a 2 year contract for hosting. I firmly believe their "money back guarantee" would have been impossible to convert to cash.
Don't HACK the Joomla! core, Instead "Extend" and/or "Override."
Stay ON the update path.
https://harpervance.com

brendanhedges
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by brendanhedges » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:36 pm

I am just glad my cash flow was so bad I literally couldn't raise the cash for a 2 year contract for hosting. I firmly believe their "money back guarantee" would have been impossible to convert to cash.
I agree, from what I have heard, your cash will stay firmly clasped in their sticky mits.

Of, course it's wrong to tar all with the same brush. I wonder if anyone else has an opinion?

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:06 am

I've been hestitant between Hostgator and Sideground. Reason I with Hostgator is that their prices are a lot clearer. I rather like to pay something in dollars than in credits. Whatever that might be.

blazer-kha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by blazer-kha » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:15 am

I've been using GoDaddy hosting for 2 years. I see that this hosting service is very good and stable personally. You can try with it!

dlm
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dlm » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:24 am

I looked at Hostgator and SiteGround. Hostgator's pricing seemed a little better but something didn't seem quite right. Then I went back to the wiki on Endurance International Group. Hostgator is owned by EIG and Bluehost went down the toilet after being purchase by EIG. I'm NOT going there. I checked with a malware/security company I used recently to clean up the Bluehosted website (NOT Sitelock) and they recommended that I check on FastComet.com. That is where they go. I just hope they don't sell out to EIG.

brendanhedges
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by brendanhedges » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:56 pm

Hi DLM,

Yeah the EIG thingy is a big problem for the uninitiated. THe problem is though, that many of the 'big' players are now owned by EIG... and all have suffered because of it. There is a lot to be said for the independants now, but sadly they can be expensive.

OceansBlue_US
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Hosting preference

Post by OceansBlue_US » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:57 pm

Can you share with me your hosting experience ?

Who do you use, pros and cons.

Thanks !
Last edited by imanickam on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with the topic https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=947828

damo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by damo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:29 pm

siteground are decent ..

back in the day i started with rochen - then moved to bluehost and then 5quid before getting my own server ..

you'll like siteground

TaylorCTU
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by TaylorCTU » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:32 pm

I've always went with hostgator. I've had a few problems but they always work to fix them.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:06 pm

nadynn wrote:Go Daddy is my fave
Ouch

brendanhedges
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by brendanhedges » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:17 pm

nadynn wrote:
Go Daddy is my fave

Ouch
Painfull!

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:41 am

Hostgator vs Siteground:

First of all, as soon as a company charges with beads and mirrors (in Siteground they call them 'credits') I become VERY suspicious. They usually do that to hide things.

Hostgator gives unlimited disk storage and bandwidth.
Siteground gives unlimited bandwidth, not storage.

Siteground includes SSL certs, or let you do it yourself. Hostgator doesn't. Which will set you back about $25/year per pop. Siteground is a little bit more expensive, so effectively that cancels each other out.

I normally need 5-25 minutes to reach Hostgator.
I called Siteground, and was chatting withing 15 seconds flat with the sales desk. Sales desk, mind you. Everybody likes to make a good impression, don't they? I don't know how long it takes on average to call support.

webhostuk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by webhostuk » Mon May 01, 2017 9:50 am

Gany wrote:Hostgator vs Siteground:

Hostgator gives unlimited disk storage and bandwidth.
Siteground gives unlimited bandwidth, not storage.

When you look such unlimited stuff make sure you read there TOS , they wont even let you use unlimited resources, they limit in terms of inodes , CPU usage and some more factor , so unlimited stuff is never possible and incorrect marketing.
https://www.webhostuk.Co.uk/joomla-hosting.html | Best UK Joomla Hosting!
http://www.webhost.US.Com | Best US Joomla Hosting
One click auto installer for Joomla

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Mon May 01, 2017 11:32 pm

I've compared Hostgator and Siteground for myself, recently. I'm not very happy with a few things in Hostgator:
1- The queue for support chat is about 20 minutes. That's quite long.
2- SSL. Something most sites don't really need and budget sites want to avoid. For some clients my hosting fee went up dramatically because of the ssl. An SSL costs with Hostgator about $25-150, average the lower end at $ 35. You can do it yourself, sure. But they charge $ 10 for putting it on your server. You'll need four of them each year. ;-)

Okay, those are my current gripes. So I contacted Siteground and checked their prices.
1- They charge in beads and mirrors, they call them 'credits'.
That makes me immediately very hesitant. Normally companies do that if they have something to hide. Usually a clear sign (to me, that is) that the prices are very high.
2- SSL is free. But if you calculate those beads and mirrors into dollars they simply included it in the price.
3- Support was really fast. I was chatting within seconds.

In all, I think they are about equal. Not much difference price wise or in quality.
Hostgator wins with unlimited bandwidth and disk space.
Siteground wins on customer support.
Quality of both is about the best in the business.
Flat prices of Hostgator are slightly higher, but if you convert Siteground's beads and mirrors into real money it's about the same.

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:04 am

I was very happy with Hostgator, but their nickel and diming everything and progressive slower support make me change to a2hosting.com. They are about the same in speed, but a heck of a lot faster with support. Plus free SSL certs.

webhostuk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by webhostuk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:11 am

Gany wrote:I was very happy with Hostgator, but their nickel and diming everything and progressive slower Plus free SSL certs.
Hostgator issue starting up with EIG purchase these guys own more than 70+ such companies like bluehost, arvixe ,resellerclub to name few etc, if one company managing so many clients support is going to suffer.

Regarding SSL have you checked Letsencrypt FREE SSL you can have it on any no of domains without paying.

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:03 am

That depends on your hoster. Hostgator for example says: Sure, you can do your own ssl. We charge $10 for each script you want to place on the server. You need 4 per year for 1 ssl. If you buy it from us, it's $25-35 per year. :pop

starazure
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by starazure » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:52 pm

Siteground is the best but their renewal prices are way high compared to the initial price. We always go through the pain of creating a new account and moving my sites using Akeeba. It saves me quite a but but my sites are down for a couple of hours. No big deal though.

savannah8
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Recommendations for Hosting?

Post by savannah8 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:58 am

Hi there,

I have had my sites hosted with a major company in the US for 4-5 years.

Sadly there was a problem with my SSL certificates and over a month later I am still waiting for them to fix their side.

Yes I did have a couple of problem pages but they did nothing to advise me . Even a Hey we can't finish this install because you have a problem with a couple of your pages...nothing.

So today the whole site...even though it is now compliant (thanks to the patient members re my previous post)

viewtopic.php?f=708&t=962366 ) it is time to move on to a host that might care just that little bit more and could even come up with some suggestions or just keep me informed that what I have ordered has been completed...not a big ask...or is it?

So i have done some research with great and awful responses re web hosts around the world. Can anyone here give me any suggestions at all or references for a company that does great work or at least won't make me wait hours for a live chat and won't cut me off ??

Just asking...Thanks
Last edited by toivo on Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Recommendations for Hosting?

Post by sozzled » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:10 am

As I advised you elsewhere:
sozzled wrote:
savannah8 wrote:So is there somewhere I can find recommendations for good joomla hosting companies?
see viewtopic.php?f=48&t=947828
The question is often asked: there's no "right" answer, though. 8)

This topic attracts the usual horde of spam merchants who are only too eager to flog their wares. Asking "what are your recommendations for such-and-such" is like having an outdoor BBQ, inviting the guests to come along, and hoping that the flies will stay away.

savannah8
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by savannah8 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:29 am

Please whatever you do...don't go with Hostgator. Have been trying to get ssl since April. They have now stuffed up my DNS and I currently have no site at all...

webhostuk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by webhostuk » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:37 am

savannah8 wrote:Please whatever you do...don't go with Hostgator. Have been trying to get ssl since April. They have now stuffed up my DNS and I currently have no site at all...
That's bad issue struggling to be resolved since April :'( , have you contacted support what did they say about DNS changes?

loudy_ca
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Best joomla web hosting

Post by loudy_ca » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:28 pm

Hello,

I have been using Joomla for some time now, and I'm looking for good reliable web hosting that is customer focus. So I see Joomla is being hosted by ROCHEN, and they offer very good pricing for the premium shared hosting. ? any advise how good they are? and should I go with them?

Thank you for the help.
Last edited by imanickam on Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged the topic with the topic https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=947828

4plays
I've been banned!

Post by 4plays » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:20 am

have you tried dreamhost and digital ocean? im currently using it

hismaimai8888
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Hosting suggestions?

Post by hismaimai8888 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:48 am

We need to move our Joomla installation to a new host following an extended outage by our current one. It's not a particularly active site, so shared hosting should be fine. What do people recommend?

John
Last edited by toivo on Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: merged with similar topic

kontetinto
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kontetinto » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:35 pm

Ganny thank you for great post about your experience with these 2 companies. I was long ago user of SiteGround but wanted to test Gator too. did anyone tested A2?

Return to “The Lounge”