What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
Post Reply
User avatar
blazer-kha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:55 am

What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by blazer-kha » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:56 am

Hi all,

I wonder what Joomla can do but Wordpress and Drupal can not? Because I have just dug into Joomla for 2 weeks so I have not much experience about it. Sorry if my question is so simple for you :'(
Last edited by imanickam on Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x to the forum The Lounge

User avatar
boban_dedovic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:09 am
Contact:

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by boban_dedovic » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:41 pm

Good question! In general, Joomla is more extensible than WP because it's not just the CMS, but an entire web application framework (the CMS is just one "app" derived from the framework).

All three CMS options can do anything you tell them to, the difference being whether the CMS was designed to do that in the first place and how much work it will take.

The advantage for using Joomla is that you can get a pretty complex/robust app up and running quickly. However, it does require some technical experience, more so than Wordpress. Drupal is the more complex option.

This website has a good comparison of the three different CMS options: https://websitesetup.org/cms-comparison ... la-drupal/.

Good luck!

james_mc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:45 pm
Contact:

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by james_mc » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:53 pm

I like Joomla more because customization is much easier. I had many issues with WP in these terms. Moreover, admin panel in Joomla is user-friendly. However, I have no experience with Drupal.

boban_dedovic - thank you for the link. Quite informative

User avatar
blazer-kha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:55 am

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by blazer-kha » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:03 am

I try building a Joomla website, however I don't really understand the platform, and my technical experience is poor. Then do you think I should continue using this platform or back to using Wordpress as I was before?
boban_dedovic wrote:Good question! In general, Joomla is more extensible than WP because it's not just the CMS, but an entire web application framework (the CMS is just one "app" derived from the framework).

All three CMS options can do anything you tell them to, the difference being whether the CMS was designed to do that in the first place and how much work it will take.

The advantage for using Joomla is that you can get a pretty complex/robust app up and running quickly. However, it does require some technical experience, more so than Wordpress. Drupal is the more complex option.

This website has a good comparison of the three different CMS options: https://websitesetup.org/cms-comparison ... la-drupal/.

Good luck!

User avatar
boban_dedovic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:09 am
Contact:

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by boban_dedovic » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:10 am

james_mc wrote:I like Joomla more because customization is much easier. I had many issues with WP in these terms. Moreover, admin panel in Joomla is user-friendly. However, I have no experience with Drupal.

boban_dedovic - thank you for the link. Quite informative
I agree with you in every respect. Drupal gets pretty tricky for normal end-users.

User avatar
boban_dedovic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:09 am
Contact:

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by boban_dedovic » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:13 am

blazer-kha wrote:I try building a Joomla website, however I don't really understand the platform, and my technical experience is poor. Then do you think I should continue using this platform or back to using Wordpress as I was before?
Joomla is the mid-level option in terms of required technical skills from end-users. Whether you should go back to Wordpress depends on the goals of your site/app. If you are looking for something basic with static content then I think WP is a good option.

However, I endorse and will continue to support the option to take the time learn Joomla as it is very powerful if you dedicate a reasonable amount of time to learning it.

Maybe you can tell me more about the goals of your website in order for me to give you a more precise recommendation.

User avatar
blazer-kha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:55 am

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by blazer-kha » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:56 am

I have no experiece in using Drupal too, but I've used WP for few years. I think Wordpress is also easy to use, and WP themes are so beautiful as well. However, I want to use new platform to have something to compare. Then I can decide which is best for me.
james_mc wrote:I like Joomla more because customization is much easier. I had many issues with WP in these terms. Moreover, admin panel in Joomla is user-friendly. However, I have no experience with Drupal.

boban_dedovic - thank you for the link. Quite informative

User avatar
blazer-kha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:55 am

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by blazer-kha » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:08 am

My plan is to build a website then create blogs to review all technology products that I've used. In the future, I will build my own business by creating authority website. This website will provides useful information about products related to Technology and Software. Do you think that is a good way, reasonable way to start my business up?
boban_dedovic wrote:
blazer-kha wrote:I try building a Joomla website, however I don't really understand the platform, and my technical experience is poor. Then do you think I should continue using this platform or back to using Wordpress as I was before?
Joomla is the mid-level option in terms of required technical skills from end-users. Whether you should go back to Wordpress depends on the goals of your site/app. If you are looking for something basic with static content then I think WP is a good option.

However, I endorse and will continue to support the option to take the time learn Joomla as it is very powerful if you dedicate a reasonable amount of time to learning it.

Maybe you can tell me more about the goals of your website in order for me to give you a more precise recommendation.

User avatar
boban_dedovic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:09 am
Contact:

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by boban_dedovic » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:28 pm

blazer-kha wrote:My plan is to build a website then create blogs to review all technology products that I've used. In the future, I will build my own business by creating authority website. This website will provides useful information about products related to Technology and Software. Do you think that is a good way, reasonable way to start my business up?
boban_dedovic wrote:
blazer-kha wrote:I try building a Joomla website, however I don't really understand the platform, and my technical experience is poor. Then do you think I should continue using this platform or back to using Wordpress as I was before?
Joomla is the mid-level option in terms of required technical skills from end-users. Whether you should go back to Wordpress depends on the goals of your site/app. If you are looking for something basic with static content then I think WP is a good option.

However, I endorse and will continue to support the option to take the time learn Joomla as it is very powerful if you dedicate a reasonable amount of time to learning it.

Maybe you can tell me more about the goals of your website in order for me to give you a more precise recommendation.
Thanks for replying. I can't quite recommend what would be good for your business, but I can recommend Joomla as a great CMS to power your technology reviews. You can do some really cool things with your site. Although, Wordpress would still be a decent solution for that.

User avatar
blazer-kha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:55 am

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by blazer-kha » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:28 pm

I am considering to utilize Joomla platform. I have just installed new Joomla website for few days, and been learning how to customize it. Thank you!
boban_dedovic wrote:Joomla as a great CMS to power your technology reviews

User avatar
darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1290
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Contact:

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by darb » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Great.

If you want a more powerful blog solution I can recommend EasyBlog https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/easyblog/ and about templates there is a lot of nice templates and template frameworks and CCK cms building tools.

Have check on this one I like much is the SP Pagebuilder https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... e-builder/ with Helix template framework https://www.joomshaper.com/helix some template example from this https://www.joomshaper.com/joomla-templates

Good luck!
Last edited by toivo on Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: redacted the URLs to point to JED - please read the forum rules about linnks to extensions and JED
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

User avatar
darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1290
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Contact:

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by darb » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:03 pm

You can check and read this comparison too and its a good one! https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-word ... a-jay-blaq

Why WordPress Developers need to take another look at Joomla 3.
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

User avatar
Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1143
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:38 am

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by Gany » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:04 am

darb wrote:If you want a more powerful blog solution I can recommend EasyBlog https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/easyblog/ and about templates there is a lot of nice templates and template frameworks and CCK cms building tools.
I had a look at that, but in my opinion you're much better of with WP. It can do a lot more, is much easier to manage. If I have a Joomla site that requires such a dedicated blog extension, I would not recommend Easyblog. I would recommend using WP instead.

Unless the site is multilingual.

brentclark2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:39 am

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by brentclark2003 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:03 am

If you have a highly skilled Joomla Developer and a highly skilled WordPress Developer and ask them to provide the same functionality, then they will both be able to do so.

Reason is they are both built with similar languages and are both extendable with Extensions for Joomla and Plugins for WordPress.

User avatar
darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1290
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Contact:

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by darb » Fri May 12, 2017 10:29 am

Well if you have seen the test results benchmark when Drupal, Joomla and WordPress should to the same webpage and review the result you see that it will come out differently. SWF or something did a CMS testing a few years back and there you could see the result that Joomla was easier and quicker to set up than WordPress and Drupal for example.

But now this test have been closed down not bcs Joomla doesnt want to it to be shown but for other that want not to been seen anymore so you can guess who..
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

vinz02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 8:21 am

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by vinz02 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:24 am

james_mc wrote:I like Joomla more because customization is much easier. I had many issues with WP in these terms. Moreover, admin panel in Joomla is user-friendly.
boban_dedovic - thank you for the link. Quite informative
Same impression here. Kinda new to doing website and I keep hearing how much user-friendly Joomla is compare to WP.

User avatar
sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 5378
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by sozzled » Thu May 18, 2017 6:12 am

One thing that Joomla can do, that Wordpress and Drupal cannot, is allow discussions on a forum—like this one—to continue without reaching any solid conclusion. Interesting fact: people assert that Joomla is better at such-and-such or Wordpress/Drupal/LEGO® is better/easier/able-to-leap-tall-buildings-in-a-single-bound without a single shred of evidence to confirm their claims. :pop

I don't know about Wordpress or Drupal (and, let's all agree, LEGO® is much more fun!); I use Joomla and it's a 1000% improvement on trying to build a website with only a text editor and a database backend ... right? ???
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

User avatar
darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1290
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Contact:

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by darb » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:16 pm

One thing that Joomla can do, that Wordpress and Drupal cannot, is allow discussions on a forum—like this one
yes you will see this with the plg and its comments there that is heavily moderated and if users have any negative to say for example about WordPress this comments will be removed whatever its about negative things about WordPress. I have experience that myself so I know and have seen other support/posts being removed if they dont fit with the WordPress image building...
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

User avatar
darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1290
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Contact:

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by darb » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:12 am

Something that Joomla could catch up with is the high end WP VIP sites that uses WP VIP solutions and got a lot of attention for the enterprise segment of web content mgt market.

Unfortunately Joomla have not that one company that could set up and present the complete Joomla offering puzzle with all integrations and combination for a visible solution for this end market.

Joomla can do all this to but there is nobody on the Joomla market that have the power to do this yet.

https://vip.wordpress.com/capabilities/

WP It can serve as the entire backbone or a key component of your digital content management infrastructure.

Paired with the performance and flexibility of our managed platform, the foresight of our expert guidance, and the strength of our agency partnerships and technical integrations, it’s an unbeatable combination.
Success in the long run Its not about the code its about the people and community that's make it!
Its not what you say its what you do that matters!

Darb - aka ssnobben

davidwlgs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:51 pm

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by davidwlgs » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:36 pm

I don't think there are things that Joomla can do, and WordPress and Drupal can't do and vice versa.

I think it all reduce to the effort you need for extending the core functionality.

Strangy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:34 am

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by Strangy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:40 am

For me Joomla was much more user-friendly than WP or Drupal. And I would totally agree about much easier customization options.

PhonySpy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:16 pm

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by PhonySpy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:36 pm

A lot of free plugins
Variety of programmer's tools and tutorials
Cool navigation system
Administration panel provides many useful functions

User avatar
Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1143
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:38 am

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by Gany » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:18 am

A lot of free plugins
WP has more
Variety of programmer's tools and tutorials
So has WP
Cool navigation system
So has WP
Administration panel provides many useful functions
So has WP

It seems that Joomla 4 backend is going to look a bit like WP.

maminasahu47
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:21 am

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by maminasahu47 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:21 am

I was working for last one year in wordpress ,i felt easy and to handle each and every features.But now i am working in joomla ,it is filled with extra features but for new begginers it could be slight difficult.

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 34783
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: What can Joomla do but Wordpress and Drupal can not?

Post by Webdongle » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:58 am

Nearly everything is difficult for beginners.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein


Post Reply

Return to “The Lounge”