Does it matter that WordPress has an exponentially greater social network?

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
websitedons
I've been banned!

Does it matter that WordPress has an exponentially greater social network?

Post by websitedons » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:10 am

What does it take to grow a Facebook page to millions of followers? Joomla users number in the millions, yet the FB page following is a mere 174k, compared to that of WP which is at 1.1 million.

Is it that too few Facebook posts are made daily, that the posts are seemingly mundane, lacking that entertaining or engaging effect?

The follow up question: does it matter to Joomla that the social network score is significantly lower than its closest competitor?

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Does it matter that WordPress has an exponentially greater social network?

Post by mandville » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:36 am

to me no, to a lot of people- no , but in your apple vs oranges question i am disgusted that in your screenshots you have not liked the joomla FB but have liked the other one instead . perhaps you should list ALL the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... nt_systems for comparison .
this is also the question you should ask (and then get banned from) on the WP forums to get a proper relationship

also ask https://volunteers.joomla.org/teams/social-media-team for their thoughts
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

websitedons
I've been banned!

Post by websitedons » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:45 am

It's unfortunate that you chose to view the post as a comparison rather than SEE the actual questions and productively discus a method of social network growth.
1. What does it take to grow a Facebook page to millions of followers?
2. Is it that too few Facebook posts are made daily, that the posts are seemingly mundane, lacking that entertaining or engaging effect?
3. does it matter to Joomla that the social network score is significantly lower than its closest competitor?

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:50 am

actually i did make 2 very valid points.
why YOU havent liked the joomla page, adding one to the count
joined the social media team

you shared
2 side by side social media counts to demonstrate "if it matters" show the rest to see if it matters. again to me - no
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

mbabker
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by mbabker » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:35 am

The WordPress project has a larger ecosystem and inherently social network. I think most of us who do website builds are aware of this. So no, it does not matter. In projects like Grav or Concrete5 which have an exponentially smaller ecosystems, I would not expect them to have a social network the size of Joomla's either.
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Manually updating Joomla? See https://gist.github.com/mbabker/d7bfb4e ... 3607f89281

websitedons
I've been banned!

Post by websitedons » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Maybe some website enhancement posts, tips and tricks video posts, all at Facebook, would stimulate sharing, therefore reaching many who are not aware of Joomla. That method has certainly served well to increase social following.

Return to “The Lounge”