Joomla! phpBB and human habits

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
Joomletto
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joomla! phpBB and human habits

Post by Joomletto » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Hello everybody,

I've been using forums for almost 20 years and when I meet my favorite, phpBB, I feel at home, this is nice. :)
After so many years like a phpBB user I already know almost everything, I could use them with my eyes closed, the commands are always in the same positions, they do the same essential and fundamental things. In short, I can devote my full attention to the contents, without having to learn to use new interfaces, new commands, etc.

This means that when I see a phpBB forum I feel good and I am more inclined to participate willingly.

We can not forget that before the boom of socials, phpBB was the undisputed leader of the market in the world with shares that were close to 80%.
ForumMarketShare.png
This histogram is related to the period 2009-2010.

Like me, millions of users all over the world have used and used phpBB every day.
The habits are rooted and consolidated for about 20 years of use.

How many other forums will offer an equally important competitive advantage like phpBB!?
I think no one else!

I opened this discussion here to urge developers to create extensions to facilitate integration between Joomla! and phpBB.

Good work and good luck ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by toivo on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: removed bumps, moved to The Lounge

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla! phpBB and human habits

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:36 am

The reality is that none is posting in forums any-more, but have moved to Facebook.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:28 pm

why on earth are you using 7 year old data for a basis for your argument! ridiculous.
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

Joomletto
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Joomletto » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:42 pm

Per Yngve Berg wrote:The reality is that none is posting in forums any-more, but have moved to Facebook.
I didn't know there was a "Facebook" category ;)

On my point of view it is full of meaning if the most forum's expert didn't find a word.

Almost 20 years of absolute leadership is a fact, not an opinion.
Last edited by Joomletto on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joomletto
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Joomletto » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:52 pm

mandville wrote:
why on earth are you using 7 year old data for a basis for your argument! ridiculous.
Hi mandville, tell me: why do you think it is ridicolous?

May be you think it is very easy to find statistics about forums market share from 2000 until now?
If you have got them please publish, I will be happy to read.

In this thread I'm speaking mainly about human habits in using forums since 2000 untill now, that image support me to dimostrate the huge leadership of phpBB compared to other competitors.

Is it more clear now?

Joomletto
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Joomletto » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:22 am

Mandville, do you undertand what I mean?

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:15 pm

As you have been told, despite your apparent geneflection in front of the php bb gods.... the children of the people in 2000 using the sparse forums or Usenet are now using Facebook.
Out of the leaders back then such as smart groups and Yahoo and Google.. SG have gone.. yahoo is going Google is a loss leader.

So yes . Your statistics are not worth backing up. Go to php bbq forums and hunt your answers there
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted

Joomletto
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Joomletto » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:44 pm

Well...
No, please, what are you saying!?
What do social media have to do with forums? They are two completely different things!

Take the simplest and most immediate example, right here at joomla.org, you are using a forum and just phpBB, not another social media.

Don't You naturally wonder why?

I can safely say:

1) because no social has ever replaced the forums for their main functions and organization;

2) you are using your phpBB because it is certainly one of the most reliable platforms.

P.S.: last but not least, Kunena, the most important extension forum for Joomla, has born after the socials, please think about ;)

Joomletto
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Joomletto » Fri May 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi Mandville, have you thought about what I wrote to you in the previous post?

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Fri May 04, 2018 6:53 pm

no, and there is no point. you dont understand facebooks business model as compared to twitter. you dont understand the "none so deaf " principle.
As you have been told, despite your apparent geneflection in front of the php bb gods.... the children of the people in 2000 using the sparse forums or Usenet are now using Facebook. [groups + pages] see viewtopic.php?f=48&t=961293#p3521954
Out of the leaders back then such as smart groups and Yahoo and Google.. SG have gone.. yahoo is going Google is a loss leader.

So yes . Your statistics are not worth backing up. Go to php bbq forums and hunt your answers there
/eof
/TUB

Joomletto
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Joomletto » Fri May 04, 2018 8:33 pm

Yes! I don't undertand, I don't understand why you insist to talk about socials, Google and Yahoo in this thread.

It is simply OT.

Topic is about human habits in using forums, like you do it every days in this forum. Oh I forget, it is phpBB.

I wish you a nice week end.

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Sat May 05, 2018 4:10 pm

The point being made is human habits are migrating away from forums to other social media platforms for various reasons. Contrary to your nearly decade old data, forum platforms and phpBB itself are NOT the end-all-be-all of web communication.

Joomletto
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Joomletto » Sat May 05, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi mbabker, you are welcome!

Have you seen the title? It is very simple: Joomla! phpBB and human habits
and the first post too!

If we are speaking about forums and human habits using them, has no sense to insist with OT about socials, it is very easy to understund ;)

The best dimostration is we are discussing on a forum, not on a socials. And... is not casual if we are using phpBB. ;)
With a lovely style too! :D

Return to “The Lounge”