WordPress vs Joomla 2.5 migration to 3.x?

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
perrineco
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

WordPress vs Joomla 2.5 migration to 3.x?

Post by perrineco » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:57 am

Hello,

I am running a website on wordpress and joomla 2.5. The blog part is on wordpress whereas all other functionality (forum, users management...) are on joomla.
I need to upgrade joomla from 2.5 to 3 but I strongly hesitate to do so. I wonder if I shouldn't migrate to wordpress.
It would be easier to maintain but I am concerned by the datable sizes. If everything is in the content table, it will be very big and I am not sure the server will be able to handle it. There are also 100 k+ users and a lot of content managed by seblod (3000 contents).
Is there a maximal size for this table, so that the website runs well? I am using a shared hosting server and don't want to change.

What would you choose : migrate every thing on wordpress or upgrade to joomla 3?
Tell me if you miss some elements to compare !

Thanks a lot for your help!!
Perrine
Last edited by toivo on Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: retitled

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: WordPress vs Joomla 2.5 migration to 3.x?

Post by ranwilli » Tue May 01, 2018 3:54 am

I think there are a LOT of unknowns that make a simple answer to your question nearly impossible. I'm NOT a WordPress guy, so I'd NEVER migrate from Joomla to WordPress, but others would probably disagree. I have no idea how you'd migrate the Seblod functionality to WordPress, but I suspect there are tested protocols for migrating from Joomla 2.5 to 3.X versions of Seblod, even though the earlier Seblod Versions (from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5) were not "migratable" by ordinary mortals.
Don't HACK the Joomla! core, Instead "Extend" and/or "Override."
Stay ON the update path.
https://harpervance.com

oksana_ch
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: WordPress vs Joomla 2.5 migration to 3.x?

Post by oksana_ch » Wed May 30, 2018 6:53 am

You can use cms 2 cms service for your Joomla to WordPress migration. The best part of the service is that it comes with the Free Demo option (it allows the user to convert up to 10 pages/posts for free - to estimate the results). It is really simple to run the migration - check out the video: https://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=BwO7eG7avP0&t=1s

Return to “The Lounge”