MySQL versions question

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
DavetheCat
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

MySQL versions question

Post by DavetheCat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:39 pm

Hello,
Just posting in here as this is not specifically a Joomla question, although the main sites we have are Joomla, (plus I always find I get good advice here!)

We have a dedicated server, and I noticed the other day that our MySQL version is 5.5.60. I read that that version was "end of support" in December 2018. So, I asked our hosts about if/how/whether this should be updated to a newer version, and they pointed me to a MySQL 5.5 Reference manual page about updating mysql to 5.6

They didn't make it sound urgent that we updated the version, but I don't like the idea of us having anything that is past 'end of support', so I wondered what anyone else has done / or not done? Are we OK staying on 5.5.60 or should I ask our hosts to update us to 5.6?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: MySQL versions question

Post by sozzled » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:56 pm

As a general answer, the technical requirements for Joomla can be found here: https://downloads.joomla.org/technical-requirements

A lot of what is written in that article is nonsense (that it, the information has not been updated for quite a while). For example, the [minimum] "recommended" version of PHP is 7.1; the [minimum] recommended version of MySQL is 5.5.3.

It is a well established fact that 90% of all Joomla website owners are currently using old, outdated and obsolete software. This includes old, outdated/retired/unsupported, obsolete versions PHP and MySQL. Over 90% of all Joomla websites use old, outdated and unsupported versions of Joomla and Joomla extensions.

That's just a simple fact. Nine out of ten people using Joomla are relying on outdated software. It's therefore not a surprise that 90% of all the questions and problems reported on the forum relate to the use of old, outdated/unsupported and obsolete software. See also viewtopic.php?f=48&t=969288

To answer your question (about the need to update to MySQL 5.6), I can only speak from my own experience:

I use MySQL 5.6.41, PHP 7.2.16, J! 3.9.4. All the extensions on all my websites are at the latest versions as notified to me by their developers. I keep my software up-to-date. I'm not in that 90% of people who use obsolete software. I also don't have as many problems as other people who use this forum.

It's your business; they're your websites; it's your choice. 8)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

DavetheCat
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DavetheCat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:11 pm

Hi Sozzled,
That's helpful thank you.

While my site versions aren't bang up to date, I try to keep everything reasonably current, and certainly nothing that is knowingly out of support (apart from MySQL it seems!).

At the moment I'm running Joomla 3.8.12 (I will be updating to 3.9.4 soon!), and the server runs PHP 7.1.25. So, given those versions, would I be safe to upgrade to MySQL 5.6?

Thanks!

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:40 pm

As I wrote earlier: it's your business; they're your websites; it's your choice.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

Return to “The Lounge”