Why wordpress so popular ?

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
manes-julien
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Why wordpress so popular ?

Post by manes-julien » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:49 pm

Hello,

It seems like every time I am logging to the console of a different hosting company, Wordpress is quite aggressively pushed in front of my eyes. While I really don't like Wordpress and prefer Joomla form far, I am wondering why Wordpress seems so popular everywhere ?

Sorry for the strange question, but the situation seems indeed... strange for me, several time when I had to use Wordpress I found it messy, lacking a lot a basic features, you have to install tons of extensions to achieve what is native in Joomla. The I really don't understand all the noise around it.

Do you have any clues on that ?

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Why wordpress so popular ?

Post by waarnemer » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:38 pm

<rant>

As it is like aspirin... when you have a headache, you can use paracetamol, but you ask for aspirin..
like martini, you like vermouth, you ask for martini....

All good marketing... a brand becomes a generic term.. In this case WP is generic for Open Source CMS. At least that is for the people that do want a website.
Point is that the actual owners of sites are not the ones building and maintaining the sites.. the owners aren't aware and really don't care... they want a site, know WP and google for that.

And also the marketing of WordPress is way stronger... backed by a million dollar company that can afford stealth marketing strategy... computer magazines write about Wordpress all the time... some paid by the company, some do it by themselves influinced by the others, afraid the mis out on mag sales.

The audience is numbed by the existence of WP... that is why they ask for it...

So we ended up with the web overpopulated by messy coded and badly structured websites... not to speak about the millions of abandoned WP sites causing all kind of security issues.. abandoned since it appeared harder to maintain than promised... It is only after a short while companies discover WP not to be very enterprise ready... only after going through lengths of installing plugins, customizing design code and more.. it looks like they want it to be... no longer this free and cheap CMS...

Disappointment kicks in... site abandoned or rebuilt in another CMS.. usually something proprietary.. or custom. Since open source didn't do it for them.

In a way Wordpress is doing harm to the open source world.

</rant>

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Why are we discussing (and bagging) Wordpress again?

Post by sozzled » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:51 pm

Adding to @waarnemer 's rant (which I enjoyed reading):

What typically happens with these "WP discussions" or comparisons between other CMS products and J! is that, inevitably, the topic draws spam merchants to them like flies around the BBQ. Inevitably, because of the incessant verborrhea from so-called experts that fuel these polemics, these topics are locked.

manes-julien wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:49 pm
... I really don't understand all the noise around it.
Good point. End of discussion.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

manes-julien
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by manes-julien » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:01 pm

Thanks for your input Sozzled. Well my point was not to start a fight around here. In fact I am just trying to have a better understanding of the situation and potentially grabbing some good input to better discuss this with clients that often tell me I have to do their website using Wordpress just because they’ve heard that they should use it... This sometimes left me speechless and how to explain the difference to people that don’t understand any technical aspect of it...

Afflospark
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Afflospark » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:16 am

Hello manes-Julien,
There are some points where Joomla is behind that's why WordPress is too famous.
First of all the simplicity of WordPress and then a 2 minutes installation process is one of the best things which attracts more and more users to run their website on WordPress.User finds a better interface or customizes look as well. And when Joomla has installed its shows too many menus which is too confusing

Add-ons: If we talk about addons WordPress is too for from Joomla here WordPress you have almost all the extensions which meets your requirements but in Joomla, it's hard to find an addon which perfectly meets your requirements.

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:13 am

It's the Betamax - VHS problem. Sort of. Each is excellent, don't get me wrong. But WP is much better marketed, and has a more intuitive interface. At least, many people perceive it to be easier.

That may change when Joomla 4 comes out, which probably will have a similar interface.

manes-julien
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by manes-julien » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:03 am

Gany wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:13 am
It's the Betamax - VHS problem. Sort of. Each is excellent, don't get me wrong. But WP is much better marketed, and has a more intuitive interface. At least, many people perceive it to be easier.

That may change when Joomla 4 comes out, which probably will have a similar interface.
You said the word : perceive...

Jaydot
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Jaydot » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:43 am

waarnemer wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:38 pm
<rant>...</rant>
This is why I'd love to have a "like" button :).
The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence whatsoever that it is not utterly absurd.
Personal website: https://jaydot.nl

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:55 pm

Gany wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:13 am
..., which probably will have a similar interface.
Whaaaaat? I like the current.. where we create content, not pages......

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:36 am

Have a look at the nightly builds. So far a lot of work needs to be done before you can really work with it. For example, it would be neat if you can actually install something. Last time I tried a nightly build there wasn't an installer menu item. :-[
(Not a complaint, just an observation. I know it's a work in progress.)

But the backend is definitely the one page two column layout of WP. That's a certainty. I quite like that layout. I have a site where the owner insisted on WP. I have a much better template for him in Joomla. But he is adamant. He rather pays more rather than switch to Joomla... with this new layout I can probably change his mind a bit.

Return to “The Lounge”