A future without Joomla ?

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
iDanny
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

A future without Joomla ?

Post by iDanny » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:27 pm

FRIENDS, ROMANS, COUNTRYMEN
Lend me your ears ...

I've been working with Joomla for way over a decade now and truly appreciate it.

I am concerned though with the future of this CMS (more than ever).

I am seeing more and more extension sites starting to diversify to the OTHER CMS.

Recently, I realized that cPanel doesn't even offer Joomla as a CMS addon ? (PS: does anyone know how to get this added ? - it's not even in the CP app directory ??)

What's Joomla's position on this ? Is there a come back game plan for this wonderful CMS ?

Thanks
Danny
Danny
www.benu.ca
Online Success Agency

mjparadac
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: A future without Joomla ?

Post by mjparadac » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:35 pm

Hello Danny

It all depends on the use we give it. It is necessary to be responsible when creating extensions, always keep improving our sites powered by Joomla. Joomla is a powerful CMS, the most important feature is security, the more quality projects are created using Joomla, Joomla will always have a good reputation.
The updates that Joomla 4 brings will be very important to determine the future of Joomla, which by the way looks very good.
Joomla Community Ambassador for A2 Hosting | A2 Hosting - Our speed, your success | https://www.a2hosting.com/joomla-hosting

iDanny
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by iDanny » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:29 pm

Thanks MJParadac

Does Joomla have a marketing team as such ? An actual core office team ? I mean, I get the whole open source notion but does it have a leadership council or board of direction of some sort ?

Danny
Danny
www.benu.ca
Online Success Agency

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by gws » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:27 pm

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:03 pm

Thank you, @iDanny, for your questions. They're good questions. 8)

I'd like to comment on a couple of the points you made.

iDanny wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:27 pm
Recently, I realized that cPanel doesn't even offer Joomla as a CMS addon?
I have mixed feelings about the benefits of this. On the one hand, it's a good thing that many webhosting providers offer the means to install J! via the customer's cPanel: it's good advertising for Joomla! It means that people, who may otherwise have never heard about J!, may be curious and want to try it out.

In this way, the cPanel "quick install" feature is good advertising for Joomla!

On the other hand, I never install Joomla! using my webhosting provider's cPanel. These "quick installs" usually cause more problems than they're worth. Further, the version(s) of J! offered via these "cPanel installation" mechanisms are often outdated, superseded versions that are incapable of being maintained. Therefore, IMO, it's probably not such a bad thing that webhosting providers are pulling "quick installs" from their websites.

So, there's good and bad depending on how you look at it. I don't think I can really decide which is better. Personally, I'd prefer to see newcomers to Joomla download the official, latest-version of the J! CMS from this website (so that they have trouble-free, reliable websites) but the difficulty is in attracting newcomers to J! if they're unaware that Joomla! even exists.

You're right, I think: it's a question of marketing. In one sense, webhosting providers assist the J! project by "marketing" the CMS as an add-on feature. On the other hand, the version(s) of J! that webhosting providers give to their customers via cPanel are generally not worth the trouble. In other words, these "cPanel installations" give J! a bad reputation. That's a tough one, isn't it?

iDanny wrote:
What's Joomla's position on this? Is there a come back game plan for this wonderful CMS?
I can't speak for the community or for OSM. I don't know what is the "come back" except to say that the "word is out there". Joomla recently celebrated it's fourteenth anniversary: J! is used on millions of websites around the world and, as @mjparadac observed, it's chosen by people because of its reputation, quality, and future prospects.

We don't decide how webhosting providers package their cPanel options; that's a matter for them. I would guess that OSM is neutral about what webhosting providers include or exclude from their cPanel offerings. If webhosts choose to remove Joomla! from the cPanel then, I suppose, that's a lost marketing opportunity for Joomla!—and that may be disappointing for us—but we can't control those decisions.

I guess that probably sums up my feelings about J!. I intend to continue with it.

Cheers 8)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

mbabker
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by mbabker » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:12 pm

iDanny wrote:
I am seeing more and more extension sites starting to diversify to the OTHER CMS.
Good on them. Contrary to what Monopoly Matt and his bank account want you to believe, putting your eggs in more than one basket is a good thing. There is nothing wrong with vendors offering services for more than Joomla. In fact, my company routinely works with 3 PHP oriented CMS' and 2 PHP oriented frameworks to fulfill the needs of our clients instead of forcing everything to fit into one box (i.e. Joomla).

Return to “The Lounge”