Joomla Extension Developers Launching Wordpress Equivalents

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
posurreal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla Extension Developers Launching Wordpress Equivalents

Post by posurreal » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:44 pm

I noticed another top extension developer launched a Wordpress plugin for the same functionality. Certainly, they are entitled to make that decision; but it worries me in regards to the future of Joomla.

Joomla core is getting lighter, which is great! It means, though, that we rely on those extensions to reinforce the business case to clients. Most of my extensions are paid, in order to automate workflows and connect every user activity to a central database. I am losing those selling point as WP Plugins offers the same.

I've been a loyal user since it was called Mambo and I'd like to brainstorm on this subject. For example, should we build out template/content packages that are easy to install and pre-populated with content/image choices for specific industries such as (1) Digital Product Sales (2) 1 Product Shopping, (3) Healthcare Provider (small doctor's office), etc? Do we need to bridge to [spam] features to auto-populate content, both public and private, for customer UX experiences?
Last edited by imanickam on Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum Extensions for Joomla! 3.x to the forum The Lounge

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Joomla Extension Developers Launching Wordpress Equivalents

Post by waarnemer » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:25 pm

Then think of this... even though the core is getting lighter, you do not need to have an extension in most of cases. A huge lot is already in Joomla!

versioning
multilinguality
proper enterprise grade ACL
SEF/SEO
... much more

And mind this... where WP needs a plugin, j! can do with just an override in the template since most plugins in WP are to create another view of already existing content....

That will keep your site lean but not mean....

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:48 pm

I agree with everything that @waarnemer wrote but I would also like to add one more comment:
posurreal wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:44 pm
I noticed another top extension developer launched a Wordpress plugin for the same functionality. Certainly, they are entitled to make that decision; but it worries me in regards to the future of Joomla.
To be blunt (but not to offend), so what?

I see many of these stories circulating about how J! developers are writing software for WP; I even see stories about how market surveys continually place WP ahead of the game in the CMS stakes compared to J!. In general, it's probably a case of different courses for different horses (not that I mean to imply that J! users are a bunch of horses, mind you :laugh: ). But, again, so what?

I use J! for many reasons. I like it—that's probably a good start—and I can tailor it for what I require. If someone asked me, "What would you recommend to build a website?", I know exactly what I would say. I've practised that pitch for over a decade now. 8)

My advice to @posurreal is simple: have another cup of coffee and relax. Cheers. :)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

posurreal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by posurreal » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks for the input, fellas. Sounds like there is buzz going around about this topic. It's worth coming up with some strategies to overcome the challenge. You certainly don't need to sell me on Joomla!.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:12 pm

simple word.... wp is for the one man band not worrying about a bright future growing the company...
J! is future proof and can grow along... for those that look forward...

the amount of wp plugins may exceed those of j!... but do they really bring value or are the much of the same?

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:36 pm

posurreal wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:09 pm
Sounds like there is buzz going around about this topic.
Nah ... just a bunch of people who are unhappy when others are happy.

posurreal wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:09 pm
It's worth coming up with some strategies to overcome the challenge.
What challenge is that? I'm unconcerned by folk who like to spread discord, to spread rumours. People can believe what they want. As far as I'm concerned, people should choose whatever works—whatever meets the needs of the business—for them.

The simple fact is that there are more people involved with WP; WP has 85% of market share in the CMS stakes. Good luck to them. It's not a case of anyone knowing more than anyone else; it's only a case of what you choose to do and how you choose to go about doing it.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Return to “The Lounge”