Has Joomla changed your life?

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
Dangerous Boy
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Has Joomla changed your life?

Post by Dangerous Boy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:12 am

Hello, I'm Dangerous Boy, that's what I used to say every morning while getting ready for school :-[

Things where not easy for me, I used to get bully almost every day at school, older kids called me names and what not, but didn't stopped me there nor I felt down or anything like that... one day I stood to those guys, it when bad pretty quickly, I got a black eye and a month suspension, but after that I got bully no more, ever!...

I couldn't finish my degree on time, no money, no work, and sometimes very little to eat, it was bad, I did what anyone else would do, I quit school and went to work.

Every night after work I sat near a window on the 3rd floor of my building and turn on my PC(Pentium) and surf the internet see what was new, chat on MSN, Yahoo, LatinChat, Eros... a year went by, I wanted to go back to school and finish but it was that or pay my bill and eat, so I start searching for books online and ways to learn more as much as I could., three years went by., I went to school and told them my situation, I wanted to some how validate what I knew, I wanted my certification or a diploma or something to help me get a better job, they told me, sure :eek: you can apply for the exam if you pass then you have to came every weekend for six month, if everything goes fine, you might get your degree, I was like :eek: hell yea! 8) ...

So sad, I only went for four months :'( an unexpected event toke me back to my country., again couldn't finish it, a years went by when I got my first Microsoft certification, and then another, cisco, avaya, southbell, sun systems, another year went by before my very first client as a freelancer! :'( I was soooo happy, I was still working cutting [* spam *], it was my first client!.

So I wanted more and more! before I can call my self a freelance., I was doing ERPs and CRMs in COBOL, I wanted to do more web stuff..

That's when one day I came a cross a particular software PHPNuke! yup, that was my first CMS, I wanted to learn all about it a few months went by when one night I was looking for other CMS's when oohh boy, Mambo Server came on my list, I install it and fall in love with, learn all that was about it...

... many of you already know what happend between Mambo to Joomla, so when that happen I was like, what should I do, so, here I am since then.

Since then I have help many to get their Joomla website on, e-commerce, news portals, social sites, Joomla has been in great part responsible for me wanted to learn PhP, I haven't touch a single line of COBOL or Python for the last ten years., for the last nine years I have been working from home, I do work for an international company and I still do freelance.

The crazy thing of all, is that I have in a few occasion managed unintentionally migrate from software specialized in B2B to Joomla! isn't that crazy! they are happy using Joomla internally and public, true, hasn't been easy since I had to build my own component, plugins, modules, bridges to ERP's, CRM's, API consumption and whatever the client needs...

I still don't have a degree :( I still want it, but don't need it any more, I already have my dream job, I wake up every day, pet my dogs, kiss my girl, get a coffee and go to my other room/office to work!

I can now say that the developer's road is long and hard and sometimes almost impossible to walk, the only thing that change for me is the scenery and the coffee :D .

So, don't stop, you will get there.

Thank you Joomla Team!
Nothing for the moment....

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Has Joomla changed your life?

Post by sozzled » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:38 am

Thank you for your story; I love reading people's stories.

It's good to take a breather every once in a while and realise that, behind every forum post, every helpful (and sometimes unhelpful) post, there's a person. People matter. We all have our good times and our bad times and the present time hasn't exactly the most enjoyable time for most of us. If we realise that most of us are probably not enjoying ourselves as much as we used to, then maybe we could be a little more flexible—a touch more patient, relaxed and tolerant—and not become too upset if things don't always go the way we would want them to.

For every misery guts in the world, there are thousands of people who are feeling far more miserable.

It's reassuring when people say thank you. A simple thank you, or "I agree with someone else's advice" can turn that frown upside down.

Best wishes and, again, thanks. :)

sshah1983
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Has Joomla changed your life?

Post by sshah1983 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:55 am

Thanks for sharing this awesome story.

Return to “The Lounge”