Automatic language recognition

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 1.5.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Ceael
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Automatic language recognition

Post by Ceael » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi,

Settings:
Joomla 1.5.3
No plugins so far
LAMP with php5 and mySQL 5 on a rented host
mod_redirect, .htaccess installed and working with Joomla's SEO settings all activated
filezilla is used for upload
Compozer for authoring (or Joomla native)
No experience or knowlege that stretches much beyond use of MS word
Site will be commercial (advertise my engineering business)

I'm trying to write a site that it almost identical in English and German. Is there a script or something that I can use to get Joomla to serve content according to the viewer's browser settings? The site has to work with IE6, IE7 and Firefox (minimum) and be SEO freindly.

Ideally, I'd like the browser to automatically recognise the user's langauge but still give the option to set the language using a little flag icon on the site. Some of the bigger commercial websites seem to do this.

Really, really good is if this is possible without need for cookies or active scripts of the kind that generate security warnings on browsers.

Absolute ideal: I can ask Joomla to automatically create pages in the second language using auto translate and then make corrections to the suggested text before storage.

Ok, Ok asking for the world, free of charge here I know. But many thanks and much respect to anyone that can help.

Best regards

Richard
Server Side
Joomla/ 1.5.9
Apache/1.3.33 (Debian GNU/Linux)
PHP/4.3.10-22
MySQL/4.0.24

Client Side
Ubuntu 8.10
Firefox 3.0.5

akede
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Automatic language recognition

Post by akede » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:15 pm

Hi Richard,

This is a feature that is included in the Joom!Fish project (www.joomfish.net).

Pretty exactly what you are looking for ;-)

Alex
Joom!Fish 2.0 your free multilingual solution for Joomla! 1.5 i - http://www.joomfish.net - follow us on twitter @joomfish
Meet us at J and Beyond, 30.05 - 1.06.10, Wiesbaden, Germany - http://jandbeyond.org

gradencan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Automatic language recognition

Post by gradencan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:07 pm

akede, where can I find this and thurn it on in Joomfish for Joomla 1.5? I also want that site language is the same as language of browser. Thanks!

Return to “Language - Joomla! 1.5”