Simple translation of articles only

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 1.5.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

bobbykjack
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Simple translation of articles only

Post by bobbykjack » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi there,

I'm working on a requirement for our Joomla!-based site; we need to present alternative translations of articles. Currently, the requirement is just for a single language, and a very small number of articles (about 3 of several hundred) but that will likely grow over time.

We are not, currently, intending for the standard 'language switcher' functionality. We're not planning to translate UI text, and we're not planning on having a significant amount of content translated. All we really need is the ability to show a link, on relevant article pages, if a translation is available.

I've had a look at Joom!Fish but it looks like overkill. It's not particularly pretty, admin interface-wise, and it seems geared more to the "'switch language and browse the site in that language 'mode'" type of functionality.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for what, I hope, is a fairly straightforward requirement?

Many thanks,

- Bobby

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Simple translation of articles only

Post by infograf768 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:52 pm

It's quite simple and depends on the way you present the original articles.

If the original article is displayed alone through a specific menu item (not a blog or list), one way is to publish a menu module displaying ONLY on the page containing the original article with a menu item linking to the translated article (You would create a specific category for these translated articles).

The other way is to add link(s) to the translated article(s) in the original article itself with a flag image for example. The link should contain the same Itemid in order to not disturb the module arrangement on the page. This can be used whatever the way the original article is presented at first.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

bbarclay6
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Simple translation of articles only

Post by bbarclay6 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:12 am

I see what you are saying. You want to be able to have a translated version without using whole system. So if i want to read an article in French, you can translate it into french and post it. So why don't you just create an article section and category, say call them french, or what language have you. Then after you've completed that. Write the article in this other language and link to it that way.
If you have more questions PM me or
Need Support Call 307-461-0220
http://101online.org

Return to “Language - Joomla! 1.5”