Creating a new language pack?

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 1.5.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

johnt68
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Creating a new language pack?

Post by johnt68 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:10 am

Hello ...

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong forum ... please point me in the right direction if it is.

I am trying to make a new language pack for the Visayan language for a site that I am constructing.

Firstly I downloaded the translation manager application but this requires an ISO code. According to Wikipedia 'Cebuano is given the ISO 639-2 three letter code ceb, but has no ISO 639-1 two-letter code'.

Does this mean that entering 'ceb' is enough ... or am I going to have to create the pack myself ?

Thank you .... John.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Creating a new language pack?

Post by imanickam » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:13 pm

johnt68 wrote:Does this mean that entering 'ceb' is enough ... or am I going to have to create the pack myself ?
It is not enough if you just enter the string 'ceb'. You have create the language pack yourself.

What is the country code you want to use?

Also, I suggest that you doing the translation for 2.5 as it is the next long term release just like 1.5.

Let us know your thoughts.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

johnt68
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnt68 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:20 pm

Hello,
Thank you for replying.

My Joomla site is version 1.5 and would like it to be compatible with that.
According to http://countrycode.org/ the Country Codes are:
ISO Country Code, 2 Digit = PH
ISO Country Code, 3 Digit = PHL

So, my next questions are:

Which files do I download to change the language?
How do I label these files?

Thank you … John.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:54 am

The language code that you have to use would be ceb-PH (Cebuano-Philippines).

For you to manage and create language files the extension Translations Manager (http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ition/1776) would be of help. I believe that the latest version of the extension is available at http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla_1_5_tr1/frs/. Please download these extensions and use the latest one.

Best wishes for your effort.

If you want to become a part of the Joomla! Translation Team, please send an e-mail to infograf768 and me.
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

johnt68
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnt68 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:10 am

Thank you very much for your help and advice .... I will let you know how I get on.

johnt68
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnt68 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Hello again,

The files have now been translated but 3 files have not changed status to 'complete'. One remains as 'In progress' and two others say 'not staterd' even though they have been!

I have clicked 'Package', downloaded this by FTP, saved as a zip file,and attempted to install it but get the error ... 'Error! Could not find a Joomla! XML setup file in the package'.

Am I missing out something important? I though that I had completed the XML info at the beginnig?

John.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:39 pm

Glad to know that you are making a good progress.

Suggest downloading language packs for some languages such as ta-IN (Tamil - India) from http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/jtrans ... ge_id=5176.

You can install them if needed or unzip them in separate directories, and see the difference between the files.

johnt68
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnt68 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:54 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I downloaded the Tamil files and attempted to do the same in my files.
I made an Install XML, php cebPH.ignore file, a ceb.PH configuration settings file, and a cebPH XML.

I am using a Rocket Theme template (Maelstrom) and so have added all the files relating to that also.

When I try to install now, I get errors like this:

JInstaller::install: File '/home/users/web/b2106/ipg.johnt68/tmp/install_4f2876eddb8d1/ceb-PH/ceb-PH/ceb-PH.tpl_ja_purity.ini' does not exist. It was not possible to delete the selected file.: 'ceb-PH.ini'

I am not quite sure what that means.

The other worrying thing is that the Cebuano files seem to have dissapeared from the translation manager! I'm hoping that they are in the zip file now ready to be reinstalled as I don't want to ask my wife to translate everything again :( !!

Any ideas please ...

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:42 am

Attach the pack you have developed and let me see what is going on.

At least now you have a copy of base files. You could work from that using the text editors such as NotePad++ that supports the encoding UTF-8 WITHOUT BOM.

johnt68
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnt68 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:42 pm

Hello ... thank you for taking a look.

Do you want me to load the files up here onto the forum, or send them to you?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:14 am

Please upload it in the reply as others also could review the file(s).

If you cannot attach the zip file, rename the file as txt before upload and mention this.

johnt68
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnt68 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:44 am

Files atached thanks.

Hopefully I'm heading in the right direction :) .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:14 pm

As the error indicates, there is no such file ceb-PH.tpl_ja_purity.ini that exists in the Admin pack. However, this file has been listed in the file install.xml.

What are the files that have names starting with xx.?

I suggest the following course of action to start with. This would come handy if you want to publish your language packs.

(a) Create 2 install packs - one for Admin and another for Site
(b) In both these installs, include only the core Joomla! language files
(c) Test these packs

Once you are successful, you could add other language files for the extensions you are using.

johnt68
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnt68 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:58 am

I forgot that I removed the files because I was getting another error ... sorry about that!

The xx. files generated themselves ... I don't know what they are.

I will follow your advice and start again with the basics.

Thank you.

johnt68
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnt68 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:41 pm

As I wasn't sure what 'the core Joomla! language files' were I returned to the Tamil folder and just selected the same files, and changed the names of the xx. files etc.

When I tried to install these I got the following error message:
JInstaller::install: File '/home/users/web/b2106/ipg.johnt68/tmp/install_4f301b6d523bb/ceb-PH/ceb-PH/ceb-PH.tpl_ja_purity.ini' does not exist.
It was not possible to delete the selected file.: 'ceb-PH.ini'

This time though, the 'ceb-PH/ceb-PH/ceb-PH.tpl_ja_purity.ini' does exist so I am confused.

When I compare the 'ceb-PH/ceb-PH/ceb-PH.tpl_ja_purity.ini' file with the Tamil one there is a slight difference as the Tamil one refers to 'banners' but I'm not sure if this is the problem?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:23 am

Reviewed the pack and observed the following:

(a) Unnecessary folder (ceb-PH) with files in it were there

(b) Syntax error in a filename attribute as shown below. Notice the missing > sign in the inclusion of the file ceb-PH.tpl_rhuk_milkyway.ini

Code: Select all

<filename>ceb-PH.tpl_ja_purity.ini</filename>
	<filename>ceb-PH.tpl_rhuk_milkyway.ini</filename
        <filename>ceb-PH.ignore.php</filename>
(c) The file index.html that is in the inclusion list as shown below was missing.

<filename>index.html</filename>

Corrective actions taken:

(a) Removed the folder along with the files completely

(b) Corrected the syntax error in a filename attribute as shown below. Notice the ending > sign in the inclusion of the file ceb-PH.tpl_rhuk_milkyway.ini

<filename>ceb-PH.tpl_ja_purity.ini</filename>
	<filename>ceb-PH.tpl_rhuk_milkyway.ini</filename>
        <filename>ceb-PH.ignore.php</filename>
(c) The file index.html that displays a blank page has been added

With the corrections incorporated, created a new Site Installation file for ceb-PB and tested it succesfully. The site installation file is attached below.
ceb-PH_joomla_lang_site.1.5.25v0.zip.zip
Test the installation and if needed, created an Admin language pack also. If you want to publish the translation, it is strongly suggested that you create the Admin pack also.

Enjoy!

Note:

(i) Be informed that the files have to be saved as UTF-8 without BOM. Editors such as NotePad++ would be of help in this.

(ii) The pack was named with 1.5.25 assuming that it is the case. If not, rename the pack accordingly. Somewhere, I noticed 1.5.15 and hence this note.

johnt68
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnt68 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:53 pm

Hello,
Thank you very much for the help, and I will make an effort not to make the same mistakes again. The corrected and improved package installs :) .

I am not sure which version it should be ... when I staterd the files were produced with the Translation Manager ... then I updated from Joomla 1.5.23 to 1.5.25. I am not sure what I am supposed to name it?

I added a language manually by selecting add etc. and sort of got things working http://filipinotravels.com BUT ... I have this red arrow saying that 'Front end language file is not available' http://screencast.com/t/sX7qg3jFl7s and so I cannot get front end 'stuff' like User Registration etc. to translate as it should. Is there somewhere that I can enable this?

Will start on an Admin pack this week so that it can eventually be published.

Thanks again for the help ... John.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:12 pm

As long as the language stings are up-to-date to 1.5.25, you can rename it to 1.5.25.

As you are using Joom!Fish, I could not comment on this. It would be better if you post an image of the Language Manager especially for the site tab.

I notice that in the column Joomla File, for English it is mentioned as en-GB and for your language it shows as cebPH (Not as ceb-PH). I believe that Joom!Fish is not seeing a folder cebPH as the folder name would be ceb-PH. I do not know whether it has to do something with the behavior.

Check with Joom!Fish forum whether it allows such code.

Also, noticed that not all the strings are translated to your language. For example, in the file com_users, I notice that only a handful of strings are converted. All others are in English.

johnt68
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnt68 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:52 pm

As far as I know the ... 'language strings are up-to-date' .. so I will rename it to 1.5.25 as advised.

The Language Manager for the site tab looks like this http://screencast.com/t/gmxlgWPiw I can see the language so I am puzzled.

You are quite right 'the column Joomla File, for English it is mentioned as en-GB and for your language it shows as cebPH (Not as ceb-PH)'. This is because it will only allow 5 digits to be entered ... I have also tried ceb-P .... but no joy! I have posted on Joomfish forum as suggested.

I do not know what is happening with the com_users file as I cannot get the status to change to complete. Even when I save the file it shows as 'in progress' at 'Status 65% [91 of 139 phrases translated] ' (which is about right as there are not Visayan words for some of the technical terms).
http://screencast.com/t/O5osF7YxO2Pr

Thanks again.
Last edited by johnt68 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:21 pm

johnt68 wrote:You are quite right 'the column Joomla File, for English it is mentioned as en-GB and for your language it shows as cebPH (Not as ceb-PH)'. This is because it will only allow 5 digits to be entered ... I have also tried ceb-P .... but no joy! I have posted on Joomfish forum as suggested.
(i) Glad to know that you are checking in the forum of Joom!Fish about the usage of 3 digit language code
(ii) You could try to use the language code cebPH instead of ceb-PH and recreate a new site language file - this is not an elegant solution but could come handy
johnt68 wrote:I do not know what is happening with the com_users file as I cannot get the status to change to complete. Even when I save the file it shows as 'in progress' at 'Status 65% [91 of 139 phrases translated] ' (which is about right as there are not Visayan words for some of the tecnical terms)
As the language file is a text file, you could just edit it using text editor such as NotePad++ in case if you have to change it.

johnt68
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnt68 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:44 am

imanickam ... Thanks again- your suggestion worked :)
You could try to use the language code cebPH instead of ceb-PH and recreate a new site language file - this is not an elegant solution but could come handy
I changed all the file names to cebPH, deleted everything else (I still have a copy of the ceb-PH files), including the xx files in the translation manager, and the 'front end arrow turned green'. Administration next.
Last edited by imanickam on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed a part of the reply and posted it in the thread (f=485&t=695924) that was split from this thread

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:31 pm

johnt68 wrote:I changed all the file names to cebPH, deleted everything else (I still have a copy of the ceb-PH files), including the xx files in the translation manager, and the 'front end arrow turned green'. Administration next.
At this time, for the Site pack, please forget about the Translation Manager. Work from the Site pack I sent and create a new pack from that.

azia1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by azia1 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:16 am

This question interested me too. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Language - Joomla! 1.5”