Multiple languages site

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 1.5.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Muki0082
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Multiple languages site

Post by Muki0082 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:57 am

Hi all,

I'm new in Joomla! and need some help. I have a site created in Joomla! and it's in english. Now I want to add three more languages, and later even more. I want to add languages for the site, my personal content (home page, news sections, forum, register section, everything), and I have my translation.

I've tried translation manager, but it seems not to be for what I need, at least not only TM, maybe I need some more components or something?

Pls, can someone give me an advice, is there a good extension for this, or a link with tutorial or anything that could help me?

Thank you :)
Muki

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Multiple languages site

Post by infograf768 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:03 am

For Joomla 1.5, try Joomfish.
Joomla 2.5 includes a core multilanguage functionality.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Muki0082
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Muki0082 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:07 am

Thank you. I'll give it a try :)

Muki

madelman2
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by madelman2 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Joomfish is too heavy and creates a lot of useless SQL queries on the server that take a long time to respond and kills everything. Is there any other extension better than Joomfish on 1.5?

Muki0082
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Muki0082 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:24 pm

I've installed Joomfish and it's great so far. I'm translating the site into 3 new languages. But the only thing is that the site become reallllyyy slow. I think it could be because of that extra sql code. If anyone have an idea how to fix this pls share with us.

Beside this, this extension is great so far.

Muki

dingbusan
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dingbusan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:36 am

I've use Joomfish before with Joomla 1.5, except the big frustrated problem with Sh404sef, it's mean u can not use joomfish with sh404sef at the same time, also there are plenty small uncomfortable problems will bother u in the future. Specially the SEO is a really problem when u use Joomfish, my head still feel painful when I typing those words here right now. -_-!!

For now I'm just build the Multi language site with separate sub-domain, the work is little bit heavy & trouble, but with great SEO performance! and really great for urself also visitors. Anyway Joomfish will not really save ur time!! just my own opinion.

Muki0082
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Muki0082 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:33 am

Hi dingbusan,

Thanks a lot for your response. I was thinking to create separate subdomains, but simply don't have time for that right now. If I don't get this, I will probably do that.

Thanks again :)
Muki

dingbusan
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dingbusan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:46 am

You are welcome!

lolol
I've been banned!

Post by lolol » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:49 pm

i am trying to display a rel="canonical" link in the header of a joomla 1.5 site when there is no translation for the main content.

I have succeeded in adding rel="alternative" pointing to the other languages by modifying the language selector module.

What I need to know is where in the joomfish code I can check to see if the main content is translated and and my code for the header.

please help me ...

tenia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tenia » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:20 pm

I found a way to do translation, it was not the default language before building the canonical url and displaying the tag. basically I wrote some conditional statements to discover if this row was the main content (checked view and id from request against the row)

Return to “Language - Joomla! 1.5”