How to localize (fr-CA, en-CA) a Joomla 1.5 site?

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 1.5.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Chacapamac
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

How to localize (fr-CA, en-CA) a Joomla 1.5 site?

Post by Chacapamac » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:23 pm

With 2.5 it’s easy with the —>
Plug-in Manager: System - Language Code
That give you the ability to add a language code and localize by country to your language pack.
Changes the language code for the generated HTML document. Example of use: One has installed the fr-FR language pack and wants the Search Engines to recognize the page as aimed at French-speaking Canada. Add the tag 'fr-CA' to the corresponding field for 'fr-FR' to resolve this.
Now, I was wondering how to do the same with older 1.5 sites (with Joomfish)?

Thanks.... ???
Can God help us?
Marketing, SEO, Web development - Powered by Joomla!
http://www.grafcomm.ca/

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: How to localize (fr-CA, en-CA) a Joomla 1.5 site?

Post by waarnemer » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:01 am

It has been a while but I believe you would have to install fr-CA language packs to do just that.....

I don't know if there is any, but if you accept fr-FR to be correct in its content, you could copy these to a fr-CA folder, change all file names accordingly, you might check all files contents for fr-FR and change that into fr-CA if there are any...

1.5 has been a while but I believe you can just drop that folder in between the other language folders and off you go...

Now it will even allow you to change some into typically Canadian French expressions.. :)

Chacapamac
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: How to localize (fr-CA, en-CA) a Joomla 1.5 site?

Post by Chacapamac » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:39 pm

Good Idea !

It is certain that 1.5 with Joomfish have already a language suffix, en,fr... maybe one of those SEF tools can automatically add -ca to it?

I just see that Joomfish permit to add your own sef language code, I guess you can add what you want there. Again I probably have to go trough some hoops to be sure the old urls will be redirect properly.

I try Red DJ but didn’t have any luck to make it work.

Working on the migration of those site, but as you know joomfish multilingual web sites a way more complicated to migrate.
Can God help us?
Marketing, SEO, Web development - Powered by Joomla!
http://www.grafcomm.ca/

Return to “Language - Joomla! 1.5”